X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as X-Men goes I'll be reading W&tXM, All New X-Men, and X-Men Legacy. Uncanny X-Force I'll probably drop when Way comes on. I'm not a fan of his stories. I'm going back and forth on X-Factor but it's 90% likely dropped as of now. I've already passed on one issue but I've dropped it in the past and came back. We'll see how that goes. I'm about 4 or 5 issues behind on Adjectivelesss X-Men but the newer solicits sound interesting. I'm not sure if I want to bother with it though and probably won't.

Outside the X-Men realm I'm buying New Avengers and Defenders. Defenders ends in November and New Avengers as I enjoy it is ending in November. I'll have to see what comes next but likely I'm dropping that as well. I will be trying Uncanny Avengers though.

So my buy list went from just about everything Marvel (a couple of years ago) to:

All New X-Men
Wolverine & the X-Men
X-Men Legacy
Uncanny Avengers

With soon to drop/end titles:

Uncanny X-Force
New Avengers
Defenders

And I'm still looking for more drops. That's just crazy for me to even imagine. I'm curious what Marvel's plans for the Young Avengers is and I might check that out. I'm also curious what will become of New Avenger characters like Luke and Iron Fist. Beyond that though, I have no desire to buy more Marvel books. I wanted to but November's solicitations have just bittered me (again). It might change if their double-shippings ease in December but we'll see how that works out.

As far as X-Men comics, I think I'll be down to just Wolverine and the X-Men and X-Factor. But I probably shouldn't say "down to" because I'm pretty sure that's all I'm reading now.

As far as X-Men comics, I think I'll be down to just Wolverine and the X-Men and X-Factor. But I probably shouldn't say "down to" because I'm pretty sure that's all I'm reading now.

yeah... im kinda not happy with this whole new Marvel Now crap... So i heard Cyclops is apparently 28 or something now? pretty sure he should be in his 30s... with bobby being 28-29 (ala human torch and peter parker, but i guess they were de-aged as well...)

so now it's even more of an enigma with franklin richards and all those teen heroes.. like Young Avengers who no longer make sense timeline wise...

Oh, I haven't cared about characters' ages in a long, long time. They've never really made sense.

Wow... so I was just thinking. If I do get down to just 4 Marvel titles, the last time I was buying 4 titles was when I was 10 (currently 31) when I was just buying Marvel Tales, Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Web of Spider-Man. And that's what I STARTED out buying. I started buying adjectiveless Spider-Man maybe 5 or 6 months later and that was the last time I bought only 4 Marvel books. If no more announcements interest me and I don't like what comes after New Avengers... I'll have matched my newbie kid numbers. That's just stupid.

Last edited:
I'm reading fewer DC comics than I ever have since I got into the DC universe in the early '00s. It happens. The wheel goes 'round and suddenly the people in charge think all kinds of stuff that you hate is awesome. It'll come around again someday, though.

i just think there's nothing wrong with letting the characters age. i mean.. they age slowly anyway... but as they're aging we're also living longer and looking younger at certain ages as well...

if it took aprox 50 years for Peter Parker to age 15 years, then that's a pretty lengthy time frame... i'm ok with him being 45 in 50 more... lol

this just screams the 1999-00 "heroes reborn" fiasco all over again.

if it didn't work then, its not going to work now marvel...

Heroes Reborn was in 97. And I really don't get that vibe from NOW. It's seems like they're going Avenger/X-Men amalgam crazy. Lines are being heavily blurred and going in 50 different directions. They just need to simplify universe wide status quo more without rebooting the entire line like DC did.

I'm reading fewer DC comics than I ever have since I got into the DC universe in the early '00s. It happens. The wheel goes 'round and suddenly the people in charge think all kinds of stuff that you hate is awesome. It'll come around again someday, though.

I'm honestly trying to convince myself to drop comics altogether. It's not necessarilly the storeis that are frustrating me, and certainly not the characters, but the pricing and double-shipping. I'm looking for jump-off points at Marvel and have found some for most. X-Men is hardest because it's been my longest love and there's a chance I'll always buy X-Men stuff, but I'm trying to talk myself out of it. DC is winning me over thankfully so that's a big help, but even there I'm looking for drops.

Batman, Nightwing, Batwoman, and Green Lantern are safe books for me. Justice League Dark is safe for the moment though if it becomes too dependant on the other JL books then it'll be gone. I'm hoping not though because I do enjoy the title. I've just dropped Batman & Robin and Justice League. Batman Incorporated I plan dropping once Morrison leaves after #12. I plan on trying Talon and maybe Phantom Stranger but we'll see. I might just pass on Phantom Stranger... I haven't decided yet.

While a lot of people here are seeing Marvel Now as a dropping point, I feel like overall Marvel is probably going to gain new readers. I only read X-men titles and ASM, so I'm really excited to read Avengers, Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man without jumping into the middle of a story. I know there's wikipedia, but there's something better about starting a title when everything is fresh.

While I'm a little concerned about the X-titles, mostly because I liked how everything was organized post-Schism, I'll be getting into way more books.

Marvel is concerned with people voting with their money, and look how well AvX is selling.

Heroes Reborn was in 97. And I really don't get that vibe from NOW. It's seems like they're going Avenger/X-Men amalgam crazy. Lines are being heavily blurred and going in 50 different directions. They just need to simplify universe wide status quo more without rebooting the entire line like DC did.

Lol well spideys "reborn esque" reboot was in 1999-2000 ish when it went back to #1 and pretended to kill off mj in a plane

While a lot of people here are seeing Marvel Now as a dropping point, I feel like overall Marvel is probably going to gain new readers. I only read X-men titles and ASM, so I'm really excited to read Avengers, Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man without jumping into the middle of a story. I know there's wikipedia, but there's something better about starting a title when everything is fresh.

While I'm a little concerned about the X-titles, mostly because I liked how everything was organized post-Schism, I'll be getting into way more books.

Marvel is concerned with people voting with their money, and look how well AvX is selling.
I'll be dropping and trying new things in about equal measure, so NOW's mainly gonna be a shift in my Marvel reading more than anything else.

yeah... im kinda not happy with this whole new Marvel Now crap... So i heard Cyclops is apparently 28 or something now? pretty sure he should be in his 30s... with bobby being 28-29 (ala human torch and peter parker, but i guess they were de-aged as well...)

so now it's even more of an enigma with franklin richards and all those teen heroes.. like Young Avengers who no longer make sense timeline wise...

There's no way in hell any of the original x-men are a day younger than 32/33. I'd peg scott around 34/35. I let characters age in my mind. :o

There's no way in hell any of the original x-men are a day younger than 32/33. I'd peg scott around 34/35. I let characters age in my mind. :o

well bobby is spidey's age (who should be 29) but yeah.. there's no way in hell Scott isn't in his 30's. ( i think it actually hurts his character for him to be in his 20s....)

I always use spidey as a reference since we knew his age in his beginning (15) and we know iceman and torch are the same age as him (give or take a year). Cyclops i peg at 3 years older so (32), jean and angel a year younger (31) and beast i'd peg about late 30s, early 40s (I know he was in college, but i don't recall if he graduated before he joined the x-men or not...

Tony i'd peg in his mid to late 30s, and Ben and Reed i'd peg around Beast's age.. with Sue being Cyclops's and Johnny being johnnys.

the problems with the timelines happen with the youth in marvel. Franklin richards has hardly aged... even though his friends (the power pack) are now teens. I reallllllly don't get why franklin can't be a teen now.

to topple that, kitty pryde should be 27ish, she's an adult now and i peg her close to iceman's age. And jubilee has even grown to her mid 20s id assume.

the largest holes with the whole age thing stem from Franklin, and now imo.. the young avengers. Hulkling was a product of the kree skrull war.. and is about 16-17 (possibly close to 18 since he just proposed to wiccan) and basically Hulkling, Stature, and the Power Pack offically put giant awkward time warps in the marvel universe...

marvel can't keep creating super offspring of heroes unless they age their parents... 50 is like the new 40... so... do we really need to keep De-aging these guys?

apparently some recent comics have basically stated the current MU has all taken place in a 10 year lifespan... it's been a mere 10 years since the silver age so yeah..... like that makes any sense what so ever.

Last edited:
Wow... so I was just thinking. If I do get down to just 4 Marvel titles, the last time I was buying 4 titles was when I was 10 (currently 31) when I was just buying Marvel Tales, Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Web of Spider-Man. And that's what I STARTED out buying. I started buying adjectiveless Spider-Man maybe 5 or 6 months later and that was the last time I bought only 4 Marvel books. If no more announcements interest me and I don't like what comes after New Avengers... I'll have matched my newbie kid numbers. That's just stupid.

the more I think about this "whatever it is" the more I feel its a mistake...IMO Marvel had a perfect opportunity to strengthen their books in the same way Waid did for Daredevil. Get the books back to its roots.

I think with Marvel NOW I'll actually be making room to buy some non Marvel books. At the moment I'll be getting:

All-New X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
Captain America
Amazing Spider-Man
trying Uncanny Avengers
possibly Hickman's Avengers
possibly Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

and dropping:
X-Men Legacy (which I should've done like a year ago)
Uncanny X-Force (if Way is as bad as everyone says he is)
Ultimate Comics X-Men (I'm giving Wood a chance but I'm still not 100% sold)

so with DC I'm already getting :
Batman
Supergirl

and I'll probably be adding:
Batman and Robin
Justice League

When it comes to Franklin, they should say his lack of aging is power related and be done with it
"he doesn't age...because he hasn't allowed himself to! duh duh duhhhh..."

And here's what I'll be getting:
Uncanny Avengers
W&TXM
Hickman's Avengers
Aaron's Thor
Try out: the new Winter Soldier and Deadpool
Pay attention to but probably not buy: All New X-Men

so yeah, that's less than I was buying at my height, but more than I've been getting lately.

I don't know who's gonna be taking over Winter Soldier after Brubaker, but you should seriously check it out now. It's great and only like 8 issues in.

Ben and Reed i'd peg around Beast's age.. with Sue being Cyclops's

to topple that, kitty pryde should be 27ish, she's an adult now and i peg her close to iceman's age. And jubilee has even grown to her mid 20s id assume.

A few amendments:

Ben and Reed are indeed around the same age, but they're both much older than Beast. When the Fantastic Four became... the Fantastic Four, Ben & Reed were in their late 20's, Sue was in her early 20's, and Johnny was in his teens.

The X-Men formed around the same time, and Beast was only around 18-19. That also makes Sue a few years older than Cyclops, since Slim was only around 16 at the time.

Also, Kitty is way younger than Iceman. Bobby reached 18 before Giant Sized #1 (which was why he went off to college immediately afterward), but Kitty was only 13-14 when she joined the X-Men a while later.

Jubilee should be around 18-19 now, which is how old Monet is.

I don't know who's gonna be taking over Winter Soldier after Brubaker, but you should seriously check it out now. It's great and only like 8 issues in.

Oh I know, I have been
It's been pretty great under Brubaker, but I've never heard of the guy taking it over.
So it gets a few issues to impress me before I consider dropping it.
Plus I love Bucky, so I'm trying to be hopeful :woot:

Yeah well, things change with a $4 price tag. At $2 or so it's easier to take risks on so so books. Not anymore. :( I think Disney really screwed themselves jacking up both the prices and the issue rates per month. I can only imagine people are buying less all the time because of it.

I know there's been lots of talk about Scott acting like Magneto recently, so I thought people would find these preview pages of the next Uncanny X-Men interesting:

prv13520_cov.jpg

prv13520_pg1.jpg

prv13520_pg2.jpg

prv13520_pg3.jpg

prv13520_pg4.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #18
Kieron Gillen (w) • RON GARNEY (a/C)
AVX #11 TIE-IN!
•Cyclops and Emma have supreme power and it threatens to tear them apart.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"