• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

X-Men - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather see an adult Cyclops ongoing.

Then we can have adult Cyclops go on a rant every now and then about what a horrible, evil monster Captain America is and how everything that ever went wrong in his life (parents being abducted by aliens, Jean being possessed by the Phoenix, every time he ever stubbed his toe) is somehow Cap's fault and/or the fault of the Avengers as a whole. :cwink:

Press Release

What would you do if you were suddenly thrust into the future? See your older self. Learn the path you’ve taken. The mistakes you’ve made. Now, imagine that the father you thought died long ago is alive and well – and is a space pirate! This May, experience the ongoing adventures of young Scott Summers in CYCLOPS #1 – the all-new series from Eisner Award winning writer Greg Rucka and artist Russel Dauterman!

Spinning directly out of the blockbuster All-New X-Men crossover “The Trial of Jean Grey” comes the very first ongoing solo series for one of the time-travelling Original X-Men. After clashing with the Shi’ar on the edge of deep space, Scott Summers is about to encounter the last person he’d ever expect to meet – his father!

Long thought dead, Corsair, leader of that intergalactic band of misfits the Starjammers, has returned! And he’s got a new recruit in the form of his son, young Cyclops himself! Scott Summers is leaving the X-Men behind to stay in space amd learn a few valuable lessons from dad: 1) How to shave, 2) How to talk to women, 3) How to steal a Badoon spaceship.

“This books is everything Marvel is about – high stakes, intergalactic action, adventure and intrigue with the emotional core of a father and son who have to repair their relationship,” says Editor Tom Brennan. “Corsair and Cyclops are both in a bold new world – a man back from the dead and a teen out of time. They need each other now, and the universe needs them more than ever.”

Don’t miss one moment of the high adventure in deep space as Rucka & Dauterman kick off the newest cosmic adventure this May in the action packed CYCLOPS #1!

CYCLOPS #1
Written by GREG RUCKA
Art by RUSSEL DAUTERMAN
Cover by ALEXANDER LOZANO
On-Sale This May!

Cyclops_1_Cover.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/20306-rucka-takes-young-cyclops-solo-cosmic.html
This is why I hate reading solicits. I didn't wanna have something like this spoiled for me.

soooo. if the o5 are here to stay....shouldn't the originals have these memories now? like jean should have remembered that her younger self traveled to the future and learned she went evil all powerful, died, came back, got all powerful again and dies again..no? (i do prefer hairless beast though)

don't even try to figure it out, ya might give yourself an aneurysm

if Bendis can't be bothered to think any of this nonsense through, then Marvel shouldn't expect it's readers to bother either

soooo. if the o5 are here to stay....shouldn't the originals have these memories now? like jean should have remembered that her younger self traveled to the future and learned she went evil all powerful, died, came back, got all powerful again and dies again..no? (i do prefer hairless beast though)

Not unless they are returned to the past and have their memory wiped out. It happened to the New Mutants

I was just looking through the Marvel Previews. Did we know that X-Men Legacy was being renumbered #300? Pretty lame of Marvel to be so gung-ho about rebooting all their titles to make it "easier" for people to jump on, and then they totally go back on that business plan and go back to "original" numbering to capitalize on the length of the title.

The renumbering is more like a "celebration of the end" thing since that will be the last issue.

Basically, Marvel will try to milk any milestone they can conjure up.

New Mike Marts interview from CBR:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51256

Some quotes:
Q: What do you see as the current X-Men line's strengths, and how do you hope to see it grow and develop under your watch?

A: There's a few great things -- first and foremost, what an awesome opportunity to come back to the X-Men books and be told, "Hey, your main writer is Brian Bendis." That's been amazing and in the first weeks I've been here, my conversations with Brian have been nothing but great. We have some awesome stuff planned.

But the other thing that's been outstanding is while the X-Books haven't been afraid to take chances in the time that I've been gone -- especially with things involving Cyclops and Professor Xavier, Jean Grey -- so many characters have been put through the wringer and to me, that's when you get the most exciting story; when you're not afraid to take chances with the characters. So many cool things have been done with the characters in my absence.

Q: That said, there is a Jean Grey in the X-Universe again, along with four of her friends. What was your initial reaction to the original five coming back in "All-New X-Men?" Now that you're working as editor on the book, what's your feeling about it?

It was one of those instances where I step back and I say, "Wow, that is a cool idea. I don't know if I would have come up with that myself, but I really applaud them for coming up with that idea." Not just the idea of bringing characters from the past or the future into the book, but making them core characters of the book and almost giving them the book all to themselves. It's not something that happens all the time. To me, that was another aggressive move on their part that was outstanding.

Q: In the current X-Men Universe, what are the projects that excite you? What's been most exciting to work on for you?

A: I'm excited for what Cullen Bunn is bringing to "Magneto," I'm excited at what we have in "Amazing X-Men" with Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness; the adjectiveless "X-Men," great artwork coming from Kris Anka. There are so many books to be excited about -- what Paul Cornell is doing on "Wolverine," we have plenty of cool things coming this summer here. Lots of great stuff.

Q: There's certainly a lot going on in the X-Men Universe at the moment, especially with "Original Sin" on the horizon. Is there anything you can tease about the X-Books in 2014? Any specific title that readers should keep a special eye on?

A: The Bendis books, readers will most definitely want to keep their eye on. I'm getting familiar with Jason Latour's plans [for "Wolverine and the X-Men"], and I would keep an eye on that. There's a lot coming readers' way. There are also some interesting changes coming in "Amazing X-Men" that I think will have past X-Men readers very excited.

Looks like Marts won't be backing away from the more controversial and less well-received aspects of the current x-books (O5 in the present, Logan's turn, friggin' Bendis). It's unfortunate, the bat-books have been so phenominal, was kinda hoping he'd come in and fix s**t.

He could just be hyping up books (as is his job) while waiting for their current plots to play themselves out. I mean, the guy can't come in and be like, "Man, these plots are horrible. What have these guys been doing since I left? It all sucks!".

very very true, but he seems legitimately hyped about Bendis' stuff, which is always worrisome

I can't remember what issues/series it was but the only time I really thought they had a good story with Cyclops and Wolverine since AvX ended was when the two of them went to destroy a SHIELD Sentinel base and they wound up getting drunk and talking it out.

I also loved Cyclops calling out Cap for being a hypocrite for having Wolverine on the team after he was being called a murderer.

That was it. Thanks.

Also, He whacks Cap with a frying pan in the A+X issue. I love that one ever so much.

I can't remember what issues/series it was but the only time I really thought they had a good story with Cyclops and Wolverine since AvX ended was when the two of them went to destroy a SHIELD Sentinel base and they wound up getting drunk and talking it out.

I also loved Cyclops calling out Cap for being a hypocrite for having Wolverine on the team after he was being called a murderer.

That was in, I wanna say, the second to last issue of Wolverine and the X-Men. That was a good issue.

He did? Good for him. It never made sense how Cap kept him on the team when he knew about Wolverine being on the original X-force killing squad.

Have to admit I've never been a fan of taking one protagonist and then dumping/writing that protagonist badly just to make another protagonist look good. I didn't like Cyclops being badly just to make Wolverine look good and I don't like Cap being written badly just to make Cyclops look good. I've always felt this tactic does a disservice to both characters and usually just causes me to not sympathize with the protagonist they want me to side with, simply because it's way too obvious that they're trying too hard to make me sympathize with that protagonist. So ironically this just makes me NOT sympathize with Cyclops, which is what they want due to using such a cheap writing tactic.

But that's just me.

Personally I found it fit because Wolverine gets a free pass for everything, be it mind control or just wanting to kill someone for whatever reason he has while Cyclops was influenced by the Phoenix and everyone assumes that he did it just because he had an excuse. Wolverine has killed somewhere around a million people by now and Cap has no issue working with him as long as he doesn't see it.

Last edited:
Ha! I didn't read that issue. Good for Scott. Everybody's (and I mean Marvel characters) opinions on him since AvX have been complete bull****. I love Cap, and it pains me to see him written like that.

Personally I found it fit because Wolverine gets a free pass for everything, be it mind control or just wanting to kill someone for whatever reason he has while Cyclops was influenced by the Phoenix and everyone assumes that he did it just because he had an excuse. Wolverine has killed somewhere around a million people by now and Cap has no issue working with him as long as he doesn't see it.

It's still cheap, stupid, fan fiction level writing and no matter how badly they vilify Cap I won't side with Cyclops. One less book for me to waste money on.

It's still cheap, stupid, fan fiction level writing and no matter how badly they vilify Cap I won't side with Cyclops. One less book for me to waste money on.
well the book was "cancelled" with that issue so its not like you have an option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"