X-Men - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
well there's currently two wolverines, not the real one, but close enough for now (when IS he coming back, Marvel??)
and I'm thinkin Cyke will be resurrexion-ed in a few months

Give them a long break like Jean. I really hope Magneto is next in the chopping list. Now that the big 3 are all dead, I feel like he has gotten more importance and I do not like it.

My dream rosters:
Psylocke
Rogue
Gambit
Beast adult
Polaris
Havok

Storm
Forge
Archangel
Colossus
M
Nightcrawler
Sunfire

Last edited:
I hope not. The current landscape is perfect for Magneto stories given his history. I hope he is well utilized in IvX. I like what Bunn has been doing with him and I only wish his team was more affiliated with the home branch

He just seems like the face of mutantkind now, and I feel like the other X-Men should have gotten that role now that Cyke, Logan and Xavier are all dead and Emma is mia. Like Storm is still around but Magneto is getting the meatier role.

He just seems like the face of mutantkind now, and I feel like the other X-Men should have gotten that role now that Cyke, Logan and Xavier are all dead and Emma is mia. Like Storm is still around but Magneto is getting the meatier role.

IDA. He's lead in his book and she's lead in her book. I dont think Magneto is dominiating the scene and taking away from her, especially since there has been very little overlap. Storm is currently being utilized as the face of mutantkind in DoX and got meaty material in #2. #3 looks to shift to Magneto but it looks like he will get the villian slant, whereas she was purely in a heroic position

Give them a long break like Jean. I really hope Magneto is next in the chopping list. Now that the big 3 are all dead, I feel like he has gotten more importance and I do not like it.

My dream rosters:
Psylocke
Rogue
Gambit
Beast adult
Polaris
Havok

Kinda quasi-Australia era. Who's the leader, though? Havok? Psylocke maybe?

I just want the freaking family feel back.

If I were involved in any way I agree that I would remove Wolverine and Cyclops from the teams. Wolverine is already getting it being dead (no, I don't count Old Man Logan as Wolverine). Cyclops I think should be kicked out of the team and sent out to be solo where he'd go on a personal journey to find himself again.

The team itself would then have to rely on the other X-Men. I think I'd also have Storm step down for a bit since she hasn't been very effective as a leader during the current storylines. The X-Men are still in a bad place. I feel like the team needs some unexpected (or not all that unexpected) new blood to lead the team back to what it once was.

My candidates would be Kitty, Gambit, or Rogue. Gambit I find especially interesting. He came into the X-Men family late and changed as a person as a result. The important thing though is that he's been away from the X-Men for most of the years that has led to the X-Men being near terrorists or simply disjointed. I would find it interesting that HE would be the one to step in and wanting to correct things. He could first kick Cyclops and Emma off the team and probably Magneto as well. He'd probably have to give Beast a big warning since he seems to always be on the opposite side of Cyclops' extremes. Then he could just focus on the more neutral members and grow the family there. People like Kitty, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Iceman, etc. Set up a core group that remembers what it is to be a family and then fold other characters in as they remember what that was like. Last would probably be Cyclops. Jean would probably have to return to make that fully believable. Magneto and Emma would probably have to leave the team to complete that feel.

I don't know... just throwing crap at the wall.

I just want the freaking family feel back.

If I were involved in any way I agree that I would remove Wolverine and Cyclops from the teams. Wolverine is already getting it being dead (no, I don't count Old Man Logan as Wolverine). Cyclops I think should be kicked out of the team and sent out to be solo where he'd go on a personal journey to find himself again.

The team itself would then have to rely on the other X-Men. I think I'd also have Storm step down for a bit since she hasn't been very effective as a leader during the current storylines. The X-Men are still in a bad place. I feel like the team needs some unexpected (or not all that unexpected) new blood to lead the team back to what it once was.

My candidates would be Kitty, Gambit, or Rogue. Gambit I find especially interesting. He came into the X-Men family late and changed as a person as a result. The important thing though is that he's been away from the X-Men for most of the years that has led to the X-Men being near terrorists or simply disjointed. I would find it interesting that HE would be the one to step in and wanting to correct things. He could first kick Cyclops and Emma off the team and probably Magneto as well. He'd probably have to give Beast a big warning since he seems to always be on the opposite side of Cyclops' extremes. Then he could just focus on the more neutral members and grow the family there. People like Kitty, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Iceman, etc. Set up a core group that remembers what it is to be a family and then fold other characters in as they remember what that was like. Last would probably be Cyclops. Jean would probably have to return to make that fully believable. Magneto and Emma would probably have to leave the team to complete that feel.

I don't know... just throwing crap at the wall.

but we are getting that now with Cyclops being dead and even when he was alive, he and his group were not recognized as X-men. If you want the family feel back and for him to return, he'd have to be embraced back into the family bc keeping him as an outsider is part of the reason why the X-men have felt splintered

Gambit is a loner. I cant see him uniting the X-men and being the face of mutantkind. He doesnt work in that capacity. I cant see him pretty much taking on the Cyclops/Xavier role.

Beast, Emma and Scott arent on the team and he cant kick Magneto off as Magneto's team is independent. They arent based at the school and dont work under Storm. Gambit has no authority over Magneto. Everyone on Magneto's team follows him bc they want to; its not simply bc they are X-men and thats where they were placed

As for the actual return that will lead the group and unite them, Jean and Xavier make the most sense. I try not to get my hopes up about Jean considering how much teasing and trolling Marvel has done

but we are getting that now with Cyclops being dead and even when he was alive, he and his group were not recognized as X-men. If you want the family feel back and for him to return, he'd have to be embraced back into the family bc keeping him as an outsider is part of the reason why the X-men have felt splintered

That's why I'd have him off on his own to find himself again. With how far removed he is from who he used to be you can't just flip a switch. It would take time. And since he's the one who's taken the X-Men to where they are, he should probably be the last one to rejoin them as a member of the family. Let time and some perspective heal wounds.

As for the X-Men without him... it's still lacking. They're still being portrayed as a team but not as a family. They're just together doing stuff. There is no family aspect. They still hate Scott. Beast is still butt hurt and off doing his own thing. Etc.

Gambit is a loner. I cant see him uniting the X-men and being the face of mutantkind. He doesnt work in that capacity. I cant see him pretty much taking on the Cyclops/Xavier role.

That's why I find him an interesting choice. The other X-Men aren't doing it. Gambit has stepped into leadership before when necessary with the Thieves and Assassins guilds. I can see him playing the sidelines because this isn't the family who changed him. But he can eventually reach a point where he is just so disappointed with the leadership of the X-Men destroying what they used to be that he steps up. It would be a progression of character that would be quite shocking not only to the reader but to the characters as well. That might be the spark needed to start fixing things. It doesn't have to stick long term, but just during the rediscovery phase. He could then, perhaps during a difficult battle, he can hand the reigns back over to Cyclops once he returns who then runs the team like how he used to back before he let responsibility to overwhelm him.

Beast, Emma and Scott arent on the team and he cant kick Magneto off as Magneto's team is independent. They arent based at the school and dont work under Storm. Gambit has no authority over Magneto. Everyone on Magneto's team follows him bc they want to; its not simply bc they are X-men and that's where they were placed

My scenario is hypothetical. Not this very moment. It's not like this status quo will stick for a full two or three years. It's already getting reset again with the ResurXion deal.

As for the actual return that will lead the group and unite them, Jean and Xavier make the most sense. I try not to get my hopes up about Jean considering how much teasing and trolling Marvel has done

That I agree with. Particularly with Xavier, but with all the crap that he's been revealed to have done since Morrison's run (Deadly Genesis, Danger, Illuminati) he'd probably be eased in. I imagine he'd be an early add but be proud of Gambit and allows him to continue in his leadership role despite it being awkward for Gambit.

Im surprised no one ever did Colossus and Psylocke. Claremont seeemd to have done some unintentional hinting with them during the Australian era and they would have been interesting then. I cant see it now and its a shame they never interact anymore. Honestly cant recall the last time they did. Probably Claremont's Revolution unless there was something significant during Utopia and the dozens of random books and minis that popped up out of that era

eta: I googled and found this. Anyone know what this team is from? I dont even recall it

tumblr_o5m31mHGBt1tnjnoco1_500.jpg

They were interacting during that Necrosha storyline in Legacy. A Psylockolussus romance would have been interesting, but romance is the last thing on my mind when it comes to these comics.

Back to the resurrxion thing, I really hope this is not a repeat of thousands of new mutants popping around the world that they did just five years ago. I just hate seeing Marvel releasing countless titles every month and the quality isn't really there. We'll see though. Marvel hasn't made a new X-character really popular that hasn't been around since the 80s or is not a Wolverine clone or an alternate version of Wolverine.

They were interacting during that Necrosha storyline in Legacy. A Psylockolussus romance would have been interesting, but romance is the last thing on my mind when it comes to these comics.

Back to the resurrxion thing, I really hope this is not a repeat of thousands of new mutants popping around the world that they did just five years ago. I just hate seeing Marvel releasing countless titles every month and the quality isn't really there. We'll see though. Marvel hasn't made a new X-character really popular that hasn't been around since the 80s or is not a Wolverine clone or an alternate version of Wolverine.
LOL...but you like the Terrigan mists wiping them out which is a repeat of what Marvel did 10 years ago

and to be fair about your final point, there were quite a few characters created in the 90s that went on to become popular. Gambit, Cable, Bishop, X-Man (for a time). It was probably easier in the 80s bc there were less books and only one team of X-men. Things really did get too diluted in the last 20 years or so

Last edited:
Terrigen Mists is different from No More Mutants. It is similar only because they are both decreasing the mutant population. But the process itself is different. I also like it because they can use it to trim the big size of mutant population which had rapidly increased in like the last ten years and now we have characters like Goldballs and those other x kids.

So trim the dead weight, have only like 80 mutants in the Marvel universe. That'd be easier to follow the stories of every mutant out there especially in the X-Men circle. I also think that would lead more interesting story arcs . and if they are really repeating themselves with the Terrigen Mist then maybe they should have fully went on to killing/stopping the growth of the mutant population instead of pulling another Mutant population resurgence, to make it different.

Last edited:
Terrigen Mists isn't like No More Mutants... its pretty much exactly like the Legacy Virus though

Terrigen Mists isn't like No More Mutants... its pretty much exactly like the Legacy Virus though

The Terrigen mists has affected the entire X-landscape, whereas the Legacy Virus didnt. The landscape of the X-world is the same as it was with M-day in that they are an endangered species on the brink of extinction fighting for survival. Their backs are against the walls and you have those that hate mutants taking advantage of this situation to erradicate them so that extinction happens much sooner. I dont see how that is really much different than what we got after HoM. The catalysts is different but the execution is very similar

Its only similar to the Legacy virus in that it involves a disease but that was treated more like a long lingering story than an event that shaped the X-men books. It didnt really change the X-line or propel the stories. M-Day did.

Decimation was nice IMo. So let's say they are the same, at least they are repeating something good from the past. The boom of the mutant population in 2012 was not good. Led to those Lights, a bunch of new x-kids which made Marvel ignore the 00s younger generation and I just don't see the need to make X-Men be seen as Heroes" in the 616 comics and continue the mutant growth especially if the new characters are just gonna take the spotlight from the other mutants that we rarely see anymore. So IMO, this resurrxion thing is not needed. I like it when mutants are seen as outsiders and when they desperately trying to keep their number. Resurrxion wi ll stop that.

And the New X-men replaced Gen X. And Gen X replaced the New Mutants. I fail to see what it is a bad thing to have a new group of students every decade. And you can have the X-men being outsiders with out completely killing off the mutants. In fact, the fact that mutants are next in line in terms of species, is what helps with their underlying themes.

Im surprised no one ever did Colossus and Psylocke. Claremont seeemd to have done some unintentional hinting with them during the Australian era and they would have been interesting then. I cant see it now and its a shame they never interact anymore. Honestly cant recall the last time they did. Probably Claremont's Revolution unless there was something significant during Utopia and the dozens of random books and minis that popped up out of that era

eta: I googled and found this. Anyone know what this team is from? I dont even recall it

tumblr_o5m31mHGBt1tnjnoco1_500.jpg

That's the cover for X-Men vol. 3 #40. Storm and Blink were not in the actual issue.

Decimation was nice IMo. So let's say they are the same, at least they are repeating something good from the past. The boom of the mutant population in 2012 was not good. Led to those Lights, a bunch of new x-kids which made Marvel ignore the 00s younger generation and I just don't see the need to make X-Men be seen as Heroes" in the 616 comics and continue the mutant growth especially if the new characters are just gonna take the spotlight from the other mutants that we rarely see anymore. So IMO, this resurrxion thing is not needed. I like it when mutants are seen as outsiders and when they desperately trying to keep their number. Resurrxion wi ll stop that.
thats debatable. Thats when the X-line went downhill IMO. Drastic changes were made and not for the best. There was some good stuff that came out of it like Messiah Trilogy, but overall I disliked the direction of the books, the more militant attitude the X-men took and how pretty much every mutant left on Earth got open acceptance into the team and that was reflected when they moved to SF and we were getting lineup changes every other issue

But you assume the Terrigen mists thing means no new mutant characters can be created. Thats obviously not the case as we've seen new mutants in the other books. There are mutants all over the world that we dont know. All TM does is sterilize and kill mutants, but that doesnt prevent writers from making new characters to account for the hundreds/thousand offscreen characters populated after Second Coming.

IMO the narrative is limited without the ability to create new characters bc eventually the dynamics and what you can do with the existing ones become stale so you need to mix it up. Remember EVERY character you've come to enjoy and love was a new character at some point. There is nothing wrong with bringing in new blood and taking a break on the existing lot.

And the problem with the X-kids from the early 00s isnt that they've been replaced, as Sithborg mentions, thats just the cycle. The problem is Marvel hasnt elevated them and had them graduate. They've actually regressed bc when Cyclops was around he at least treatd them as X-men, fully integrating them with the senior members, sending them out on missions, etc... its been 15 years since these kids were introduced so its ridiuclous that they are still students considering NM only lasted 8 years as such and Gen X, about 7. The New X-men should be actual X-men and the younger class introduced with Gen Hope and WATX should be student trainees

That's the cover for X-Men vol. 3 #40. Storm and Blink were not in the actual issue.
Thanks. I hadnt read that series

Last edited:
You should! That one had that Vampire story arc.

As for the terrigen mists, I've read from somewhere, the listings or a previous issue that Beast found out that Terrigen Mist stopped the growth of mutant population, like no more new mutants and since the 8 month gap I haven't seen a new face except for Sapna who could have been a mutant before the terrigen breakout. Anyway, it is not really a big deal since we already know the end game of this even before IVx officially starts.

And may I add, if Marvel gives a number like 180 or 300 to the mutant population, that would give them awareness that they cannot just introduce a new face that will just appear for like a handful of issues. Anyway, these writers should be restricted to coming up with new mutants especially in X books. Thing is they have been given so much freedom into making new characters and yet no one of the new blood is that popular, just another face in the already large mutant library.

Last edited:
You should! That one had that Vampire story arc.

Curse of the Mutants? Yuck. I actually read that arc and thought it was one of the worst X-men story from that time period and an awful way to start the series

But see, you actually read that series, just not the whole series. Anyway, it is the most memorable story arc from that series, so that's why I men tioned it.

But see, you actually read that series, just not the whole series. Anyway, it is the most memorable story arc from that series, so that's why I men tioned it.

I didnt realize it was the same book as I thought it got canned and relaunched. If Curse of the Mutants is the most memorable story from that series, then I'll pass as that only set the bar real low and I can only imagine how worse it got by #40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"