X-Men - Part 8

A quick question for you guys, which would you say is the best way to read this, the Dawn of X trades or the individual book trades? Are the titles that connected that the story flows better by reading the DoX books?

A quick question for you guys, which would you say is the best way to read this, the Dawn of X trades or the individual book trades? Are the titles that connected that the story flows better by reading the DoX books?
Every book generally deals with its own problems in isolation. Except for the flagship X-Men book. Some developments that happen the other books are mentioned elsewhere, like New Mutants stuff leading into the X-Men book, but as a whole, I wouldn't say sticking with the DoX trades is essential. Just read the books you want and then check the required reading for events like X of Swords.

Every book generally deals with its own problems in isolation. Except for the flagship X-Men book. Some developments that happen the other books are mentioned elsewhere, like New Mutants stuff leading into the X-Men book, but as a whole, I wouldn't say sticking with the DoX trades is essential. Just read the books you want and then check the required reading for events like X of Swords.
Gotcha, Thanks!

Yeah, outside the events, read what you want. I just hope the other events Hickman seems to be laying the foundation for are smaller than X of Swords...

Yeah, outside the events, read what you want. I just hope the other events Hickman seems to be laying the foundation for are smaller than X of Swords...
Yeah, it still doesn't feel like X of Swords needs 22 parts, but I guess we'll see how it holds up.

X-Factor raised the stakes and gave us some nice consequences from last week. Still a little too much 'telling instead of showing' and the pacing remains spotty but less so than last week. That was my main problem with X-Men 12 and with Creation. After I re-read them I realize that I absolutely love most of it and the writing is great, but when first reading it, it feels disjointed. I'm sort of happy we'll get three chapters next week. I've got a feeling that this event will benefit from reading all of it back-to-back as well.

I know I sound pretty negative, but I actually loved the vast majority of this issue and the ideas presented here. I just think there's a few kinks to work out. What this issue did do is sell me on the idea of the event itself. It feels much more tangible and important this week.

Last edited:
Cool trailer! A story like this depends on its villains, so it's good to see them get some time in the spotlight.

Something occurred to me while re-reading that I found very confusing. (spoilers for X-Men #2, X-Men #12 and Creation)
  • The horsemen are working for "their liege who wields the Twilight Sword" which is Annihilation.
  • Summoner knows this and has been lying to Apocalypse.
  • In X-Men #2 War says to Summoner: "They are coming now..across the land and over the walls."
  • That seems to be in line with the original story that Summoner told Apocalypse. "The mad horde of Amenth/Annihilation battering the walls of Arrako".
  • But if they are already working together at this part of the story that is no longer true by the time they send him to Krakoa.
  • Yet War tells him this in private, so there is no real reason to doubt it.
Now that leads to several problems and questions.
  • Since it's War saying this does that mean that Annihilation, the Horsemen, and Summoner were not yet on the same side by the time Summoner was sent to Krakoa?
  • They don't need to come 'over the walls' if they are allied. Unless maybe the general population of Arrako doesn't know about whatever deal they struck? Was there still some kind of resistance? Even then the wording seems odd coming from War.
  • Is perhaps something/someone else attacking the forces of Annihilation and Amenth? (Genesis?)
  • Is this just an oversight or a leftover from a version of the story that was meant to play out differently?
Ultimately we know very little about the motivation of our villains right now, but this feels like a puzzle piece that simply does not fit.

Last edited:
Well it would be cool if those villains would have longevity. The comiXs have been recycling villains more than ever in the last fifteen years. And I don't like some of those new villains are directly linked to ---A----. But we'll see.

These Krakoa-Men issues though have a lot of eXposition and its easy to get lost track of things. Those white pages with lengthy descriptions are too tldr. I'm currently reading siX titles (the solos and the New Mutants are skip for me eXcept for the Swords issues) and its just too freaking many. This whole era is too ambitious, confusing, all over the place and lacking in eXecution. I'm just not enjoying any of it.

Also the resurrections of so many dead mutants are such a non event. Like it was nice to see Petra, sway, Icarus, Vulcan again after how many years but they are just there. Moira who was an important figure in the start of this era barely have any use now. This is why I'm ready for Jonathan Hickman to leave the X-Men. I'm ready for a new status quo neXt year!

And oh just cancel Children of the Atom. These X of titles are more than enough.

As I had hoped, this is the week that really sold me on X of Swords. Even the Otherworld infodumps are growing on me since I'm realizing more and more that this is going to make Excalibur a lot more interesting down the line. Spoilers for chapters 3-5.

Solem is great. He is one of those villains I would love to see stick around. Great personality, well written. All around a win.

Storm's actions are very questionable in Marauders, but I honestly kinda like that. I think it'll be a tad controversial, but I really like the issue.

Last edited:
X of Swords has been interesting so far to say the least! It's a long event but every entry so far has been important and well done. I don't care for Wolverine's solo adventures but Solem got me interested. Storm's sword issue was a breakthrough though.

Pretty much a year since HoX/PoX and the X-books are strong.

Last edited:
Why cancel it just because you don't want to read it? Just don't read it.
Okay then Marvel should just release 100 different X-Men titles per month. It doesn't matter cause I won't read them all.... okay then. I don't need to read every monthly issue to have the right toeXpress my opinion, that Marvel Comics releases too many X-Men titles per month. Ever heard the phrase "quality over quantity"?

And thanks for stating the obvious that I don't want to read it.

X of Swords has been interesting so far to say the least! It's a long event but every entry so far has been important and well done. I don't care for Wolverine's solo adventures but Solem got me interested. Storm's sword issue was a breakthrough though.
I do like what each book is contributing to X of Swords so far. That said, if someone didn't want to purchase all 22 books, I'd say the 'hunting for a sword' ones are probably the ones you could probably skip. The ones we have are super well done so far though, Plus as I said above, they've added a lot to my enjoyment of the event. What I appreciate the most is that none of this is 'easy' for anybody involved. Feels like there's a lot at stake.

It will be closer to next week's releases before I get this week's. I'm just hoping what they have done with Rockslide is not forgotten about or left hanging.

I think it will be important for the stakes of the event but it might depend on a future writer to do something with this new Rockslide.

Okay then Marvel should just release 100 different X-Men titles per month. It doesn't matter cause I won't read them all.... okay then. I don't need to read every monthly issue to have the right toeXpress my opinion, that Marvel Comics releases too many X-Men titles per month. Ever heard the phrase "quality over quantity"?

And thanks for stating the obvious that I don't want to read it.

They dont expect every reader or even most readers to buy each issue and each title, but they want there to be a flavour for everyone. By all measures (sales, critics, fan engagement), this is the strongest the X-line has been in a very long time. More books tied to the X-men means faith and confidence, which is exciting. We wouldnt be getting a book like SWORD written by Marvel’s best talent without this new surge of popularity.

I do like what each book is contributing to X of Swords so far. That said, if someone didn't want to purchase all 22 books, I'd say the 'hunting for a sword' ones are probably the ones you could probably skip. The ones we have are super well done so far though, Plus as I said above, they've added a lot to my enjoyment of the event. What I appreciate the most is that none of this is 'easy' for anybody involved. Feels like there's a lot at stake.

For sure. And hopefully that means the event is kinder to everyone who cant afford every issue. Hunt for the swords issues are like a treat, but relations with Wakanda and whatever deal Logan made should pay off eventually.

I think it will be important for the stakes of the event but it might depend on a future writer to do something with this new Rockslide.

They dont expect every reader or even most readers to buy each issue and each title, but they want there to be a flavour for everyone. By all measures (sales, critics, fan engagement), this is the strongest the X-line has been in a very long time. More books tied to the X-men means faith and confidence, which is exciting. We wouldnt be getting a book like SWORD written by Marvel’s best talent without this new surge of popularity.
Because 10 X-Men related comiXs monthly aren't enough... okay then. Most of those comiXs aren't even going to be remembered outside of the fanbase community.

Anyway, I was talking about Children of the Atom in the first place (not Sword) which looks terrible just with the premise of having 5 clones/knock offs of eXisting characters. Enjoy reading it.

I knew what you were talking about and SWORD was just another example of new books editorial has faith in, but thanks, I’ll definitely read CotA before judging it.

Yeah, I think the video they did for CotA was a bit unfortunate, but don't knock it until you tried it. I am happier she's taking over New Mutants though. That book was desperately in need of a relaunch.

Yeah, I think the video they did for CotA was a bit unfortunate, but don't knock it until you tried it.
Not when I'm already reading siX titles. The more titles they release, the more likely people like me would start cherry picking what to read.

Not everybody has the time and effort and money to read these comiXs. Heck, a lot of these X-Men comiXs felt like an obligation to me in the last two decades, just so I won't get lost. And a lot of previous X titles just came and went. And I regret buying a lot of those in the past.

Not when I'm already reading siX titles. The more titles they release, the more likely people like me would start cherry picking what to read.
Sure, and who says that over time Children of the Atom isn't the one that people will read? As long as it hasn't been released, we can't judge it's quality. Now the preview definitely contained some elements that had me concerned, but again, we don't know how it'll turn out. Hence don't knock it until you tried it.

Sure, and who says that over time Children of the Atom isn't the one that people will read? As long as it hasn't been released, we can't judge it's quality. Now the preview definitely contained some elements that had me concerned, but again, we don't know how it'll turn out. Hence don't knock it until you tried it.
Oh so now we can't judge upcoming things.... I wouldn't say I'm "judging". its more like I'm predicting that would it be s*** based from the premise and the line up. And really they delayed it to 2021 especially when the other announced titles like X of Swords already came out after most comiXs were delayed by the pandemic? Thats a red flag. Like I said, I've been reading these X-Men comiXs for two decades. Im not eXactly new to this to not to have an opinion. You basically said the same thing to the recent X-Men movies and look how the reception of those films turned out to be.

You basically said the same thing to the recent X-Men movies and look how the reception of those films turned out to be.
Exactly and New Mutants turned out to be pretty good. In fact, that was the case with three of the last four movies and even Dark Phoenix had better moments than people are willing to admit. This comic might too, but we'll have to see when it comes out. If it's as bad as you seem to think it will be, then we'll have this discussion again. Different opinions are half the fun though.

Last edited:
Exactly and New Mutants turned out to be pretty good. In fact, that was the case with three of the last four movies and even Dark Phoenix had better moments than people are willing to admit. This comic might too, but we'll have to see when it comes out. If it's as bad as you seem to think it will be, then we'll have this discussion again. Different opinions are half the fun though.
Turned out to be pretty good? 34% in Rotten Tomatoes is good. I'm not talking about your reception as thats not being picked up outside the forum. I'm clearly referring to the critics that sent in their reviews to RT and the Rt's audience score. Guess what they aren't good.

And oh lets not dothis "people are not wanting to admit" narrative here. It still doesn't erase that the overall reception was pretty s***. Its not about your opinion about the movies.

Anyway going back to the comiXs. I'm not reading Children of the Atom just like you already made up your mind it would still be good despite admitting the red flags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"