Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry, but I cannot take you seriously with this kind of take. So, movie sucks cause they didn't cast my fantasy pick for the role. You are just coming off like a whiny fanboy here, and at this point I don't respect any opinion you will have about this movie with trash hot takes like "they didn't cast Denzel so the movie sucks." Like seriously. One of the dumbest takes I have ever read on here. But please, you do you
Dang, that's a bit harsh, don't ya think? :funny: Not saying the movie is gonna be bad, or that it HAD to be Washington specifically. I'm merely using Denzel as an exemplification of the type of actor, the type of talent, and power, that a role like this should've gone to. Daniel Day Lewis would've ate in a role like this; High Evolutionary was an opportunity to throw an actor of his status, another bone in the MCU-- and instead, the role has gone to another one of Gunn's friends.

I mean, I guess the cat's out of the bag. I'm not a fan of James Gunn. I don't like the way he makes movies. I'm probably not gonna see Vol 3, as I didn't, and still haven't seen Vol 2, and don't care to.

It just irritates me to see beloved characters in my opinion, being poorly adapted in his movies.

I could sort of see your point if you were talking about big names like Doom or Magneto, but…High Evolutionary? :ebr: And I love Giancarlo as much as the next guy but he’s about as uninspired casting as you can get considering he keeps getting typecast as villains as of late so I’d much prefer he play a Hero in the MCU. Denzel would be fine but I think there are better roles to play than High Evolutionary.
I mean, yeah. Sure, he's not as popular, or iconic as Doom or Magneto, but he's arguably a more important character within the context of the Marvel Universe. Arguably.

He's a very important person in Marvel

Dang, that's a bit harsh, don't ya think? :funny: Not saying the movie is gonna be bad, or that it HAD to be Washington specifically. I'm merely using Denzel as an exemplification of the type of actor, the type of talent, and power, that a role like this should've gone to. Daniel Day Lewis would've ate in a role like this; High Evolutionary was an opportunity to throw an actor of his status, another bone in the MCU-- and instead, the role has gone to another one of Gunn's friends.

I mean, I guess the cat's out of the bag. I'm not a fan of James Gunn. I don't like the way he makes movies. I'm probably not gonna see Vol 3, as I didn't, and still haven't seen Vol 2, and don't care to.

It just irritates me to see beloved characters in my opinion, being poorly adapted in his movies.
I don't like Gunn either, but let's consider what you are saying here.

1. You think Daniel Day Lewis would work for Marvel? Forget the fact that the guy spent years dong whatever random indy project he felt like, because for him it was about what interested him and craft. He's retired.

2. What exactly have you seen from Chukwudi Iwuji? How do you know he isn't of the caliber you suggest? Because he can act...

3. Since when has status of an actor mattered when it came to quality of performance?

I mean, yeah. Sure, he's not as popular, or iconic as Doom or Magneto, but he's arguably a more important character within the context of the Marvel Universe. Arguably.

I have no idea how you are judging importance, but there is no way High Evolutionary is more important then frickin' Magento or Doom. Who are popular do to their prominence in mountains of Marvel stories, including the most highly regarded ones. If your answer is some power level stuff, that is no way to judge importance of a character.

Yeah. Every time I watch a Scorsese or a Tarantino film. I can’t help but think how much better they would be if Jim Gunn instructed them on music.

Also, High Evolutionary looks like some random dude.

Gunn should've went with a DENZEL or GINCARLO, somebody who commands the screen. High Evolutionary demands an A-list actor, not some random guy that Gunn is friends with.

It really says something when even I can't support this level of irascibility.

James Gunn really does bring out the worst in people. :o

I also don't really agree with you here either. There are different kinds of scientific genius, and I don't see High Evolutionary as a Doctor Doom type. I see him more as a Sociopath driven purely by logic and curiosity to solve problems, but without any level of care for morality or if he hurts people cause he doesn't really have emotions. Doctor Doom or Magneto are very emotional characters. I see High Evolutionary as a lot more like Sinister or that kind of mad genius.

But regardless how I, you, or comics have written the character, that doesn't matter. It only matters how the character is portrayed in the script. That is the actor's job to act the role on the written page, and the fact you are whining about the dude's performance when we legit have zero footage of him doing anything substantial is ludicrous. I get the James Gunn hate. I largely dislike JJ Abrams movies. But I at least waited for his Star Wars movies and such to be released before judging them. I didn't whine cause Kylo Ren wasn't Leonardo Dicaprio or something outlandlishly petty

Last edited:
Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

I forgot Blue Beetle was coming out. Hopefully someone can distract Zaslav from the fact it's apparently significantly in Spanish and the test screening cut clocked in at like 2:45. :o Also hope those reports about reactions being positive pan out.

Concidentally, I’m rewatching Cobra Kai with my roommate right now! Up to S4 as she hasn’t seen S5!

Pretty excited for Blue Beetle, as a Latino and seems like a cool character even though I’m only familiar with him from various cartoons.

Seeing the phrase "beloved characters" in relation to any character being introduced in a Guardians' film comes across as conflating one's one personal interests with everyone else's. Outside of Adam Warlock, everyone in these movies are relatively obscure cosmic characters in the Marvel Universe. Calling them "beloved" seems a bit ridiculous to me. High Evolutionary isn't even remotely close to that kind of status, and his "importance" doesn't change that either.

Since when has status of an actor mattered when it came to quality of performance?
I really don't get this either. I could rattle off names of actors cast in various MCU projects who have turned out great performances from various levels of stardom. This is such a ridiculous thing to knock an actor for before the film comes out. Tom Holland was an obscure actor who got the role of the most popular character on the planet. He sure seemed to turn out okay.

Seeing the phrase "beloved characters" in relation to any character being introduced in a Guardians' film comes across as conflating one's one personal interests with everyone else's. Outside of Adam Warlock, everyone in these movies are relatively obscure cosmic characters in the Marvel Universe. Calling them "beloved" seems a bit ridiculous to me. High Evolutionary isn't even remotely close to that kind of status, and his "importance" doesn't change that either.

I really don't get this either. I could rattle off names of actors cast in various MCU projects who have turned out great performances from various levels of stardom. This is such a ridiculous thing to knock an actor for before the film comes out. Tom Holland was an obscure actor who got the role of the most popular character on the planet. He sure seemed to turn out okay.

I legit could have bought the High Evolutionary's Marvel Legends figure from early this year or late last year on clearance for 10 bucks in store or online multiple times in the last year. Clearly he is the most popular character ever:o

Last edited:
Concidentally, I’m rewatching Cobra Kai with my roommate right now! Up to S4 as she hasn’t seen S5!

Pretty excited for Blue Beetle, as a Latino and seems like a cool character even though I’m only familiar with him from various cartoons.
That is a very easy show to binge haha. I was really pleased when I heard Xolo had been cast. Really hope that one works out.

Y’all are weird sometimes.

Sure, I wouldn’t have said it with my whole chest like MU did, but all he’s really asking for are better actors and better costumes. Not saying anyone needs to agree with him but some of the responses he got were over the top.

Damn 4 DC movies next year. 2023 is going to be a pivotal year for them, make or break, if you will. Prediction:

Shazam 2: well received but moderate hit. Will make a little more than Black Adam, close to $500M.

The Flash: Despite the controversy, it will be a surprise hit. Not a billion dollar hit but a solid win.

Blue Beetle: Sleeper hit. Xolo will get a LOT of praise and it'll be a fun, harmless movie that makes decent box office (around $300m).

Aquaman 2: Will get critically panned, will be sillier than the first one but still have the same big action and visuals that carried the first one. Wont make a billion. If its released in China it'll make around $800M. if not...around $600m.

I could sort of see your point if you were talking about big names like Doom or Magneto, but…High Evolutionary? :ebr: And I love Giancarlo as much as the next guy but he’s about as uninspired casting as you can get considering he keeps getting typecast as villains as of late so I’d much prefer he play a Hero in the MCU. Denzel would be fine but I think there are better roles to play than High Evolutionary.

The Giancarlo casting requests all tend to annoy me. Its because they all want Gus. Which is absolutely, 100% not Magneto. Magneto is not Gus or Gideon or X other role. He is a passionate villain. Now, I would be interested to see if he could stretch his acting muscles to fit that role, but that isn't what people are asking for.

Sure, I wouldn’t have said it with my whole chest like MU did, but all he’s really asking for are better actors and better costumes. Not saying anyone needs to agree with him but some of the responses he got were over the top.

I mean, casting tends to be the least of the MCU's issues, so I'm not sure what the issue with the casting is.

Better actors than what, though? We've seen literally nothing of this performance.

James Gunn: Silver Surfer (2026)
-tvg0gi.jpg

That's why I normally stay out of this thread. It's very circle jerk

The Giancarlo casting requests all tend to annoy me. Its because they all want Gus. Which is absolutely, 100% not Magneto. Magneto is not Gus or Gideon or X other role. He is a passionate villain. Now, I would be interested to see if he could stretch his acting muscles to fit that role, but that isn't what people are asking for.

I mean, casting tends to be the least of the MCU's issues, so I'm not sure what the issue with the casting is.

I don’t care how anyone feels about the casting. I’m talking about how MU was addressed. There’s a way to engage with someone when you disagree with what you’re saying that isn’t borderline hostile.

Better actors than what, though? We've seen literally nothing of this performance.

Think it was pretty obvious he was saying he wanted a person with known screen presence and charisma to have the role. And reading between the lines, it doesn’t seem like he trusts Gunn’s sensibilities, so there’s a natural skepticism that the actor he did choose won’t be great.

And again: couldn’t care less if you disagree with him, I just didn’t really appreciate how it was being done.

I don’t care how anyone feels about the casting. I’m talking about how MU was addressed. There’s a way to engage with someone when you disagree with what you’re saying that isn’t borderline hostile.

There's also a way to bring up complaints that isn't borderline hysteria.

There's also a way to bring up complaints that isn't borderline hysteria.

Of course. I didn’t think he was being hysterical, though. :funny: Besides: those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. We’re on a comic book forum. Most of us have had disproportionate reactions to the media we consume.

Damn 4 DC movies next year. 2023 is going to be a pivotal year for them, make or break, if you will. Prediction:

Shazam 2: well received but moderate hit. Will make a little more than Black Adam, close to $500M.

The Flash: Despite the controversy, it will be a surprise hit. Not a billion dollar hit but a solid win.

Blue Beetle: Sleeper hit. Xolo will get a LOT of praise and it'll be a fun, harmless movie that makes decent box office (around $300m).

Aquaman 2: Will get critically panned, will be sillier than the first one but still have the same big action and visuals that carried the first one. Wont make a billion. If its released in China it'll make around $800M. if not...around $600m.
I’m well up for Blue Beetle, Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2. Will watch Flash on streaming after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"