• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, one my personal favorite fancastings. I think we're too far gone timewise to invoke holocaust survivors now with this character (unless you really lean into how old Magneto would actually be now. An elderly, physically infirm man whose also one of the most powerful mutants in the world could be awesome), but I think you could scale the bigotry metaphor up a few decades to the Civil Rights era, and everything would still track perfectly.
Thinking about this, I could see both playing the opposite role equally effectively. So now, I just want this in general. :funny:

And yes I did point out the hypocrisy of some people in this thread for giving said actress sh** but all the while giving a pass to someone like Evangeline Lilly who continually gives into ignorance.

Lily is a supporter of terrorists. This needs to be her last appearance so she can continue to Sorbo her career. I'm not entirely sure how much stronger you want me to come out against her. I mean, the video she posted was so bad she lost Don Cheadle's support. That is how bad it was. Frankly, Wright being anti-vax is the least of my concerns. And frankly, the past few months has made me less willing to put up with "keep my views to myself" route. She needs to explicitly denounce that video and the makers of that video and all the transphobia and antisemitism to earn any benefit of the doubt.

Lily is a supporter of terrorists. This needs to be her last appearance so she can continue to Sorbo her career. I'm not entirely sure how much stronger you want me to come out against her. I mean, the video she posted was so bad she lost Don Cheadle's support. That is how bad it was. Frankly, Wright being anti-vax is the least of my concerns. And frankly, the past few months has made me less willing to put up with "keep my views to myself" route. She needs to explicitly denounce that video and the makers of that video and all the transphobia and antisemitism to earn any benefit of the doubt.
It's crazy that she hit a hat trick of obvious gross crap, that you can keep adding to it with new posts.

There was an argument made in this thread, that black leaders who are bigoted mustn't be judged in the same way as others, because they are black. Farrakhan was mentioned. Known antisemite, and he ain't subtle about it. Guess who is now invoking his bigoted ass? Ye.

If you are opposed to bigotry, be opposed to all bigotry. Don't turn a blind eye to your brothers, sisters, and enby siblings, because of a false hierarchy established by bigots in the first place.

I love Lang, too, but he is much too worn and grizzled for Magneto who has done much physical fighting as far as I know, lol. :p

Is that a popular fancasting? Stephen Lang rules, but I don't see how you make him work in that role. As you alluded to, that sounds more like hair-casting.
Nah, it was a straight up joke about the vague similarity of their looks. :funny:

I mean this was the original comment Spider-Fan responded to:

I think it's fair for people to push back on this idea that an actor was given an important role simply because of nepotism given Marvel's track record of casting incredibly talented individuals no matter that length of career or caliber of stardom.

Could MU be right, and this guy can't properly play the role he was given? Sure, that's always a possibility. We're 6 months out from having an answer, so MU speaking so definitively on the situation is going to cause people to point that out and be a little irritated because it happens constantly.
But wasn't that the reason given? If I remember correctly, Gunn liked working with the actor in Peacemaker so much, that he decided to just give him the role of High Evolutionary, even as it was being highly coveted by many different actors.

And again, I'm not a fan of Gunn's craft, so I have no reason to assume that this casting is going to work for me, personally. I think there's a pretty good chance Gunn won't even take the character seriously

Thank you, one my personal favorite fancastings. I think we're too far gone timewise to invoke holocaust survivors now with this character (unless you really lean into how old Magneto would actually be now. An elderly, physically infirm man whose also one of the most powerful mutants in the world could be awesome), but I think you could scale the bigotry metaphor up a few decades to the Civil Rights era, and everything would still track perfectly.
If there's one property Marvel could justify these changes with, it's X-Men, and I think they're gonna take full advantage of that.

Denzel would be FANTASTIC in the role of Magneto. And he would give Erik a much-needed boost of rejuvenation after Fox exhausted the character.

Star Trek, truly the origin of so much of good and bad of fandom. You get the Mary Sue, which has been coopted for hate. But then you have this.

May the slash fiction continue on with Cap/Bucky and Bucky/Falcon, no matter how uncomfortable some of the actors get.

But wasn't that the reason given? If I remember correctly, Gunn liked working with the actor in Peacemaker so much, that he decided to just give him the role of High Evolutionary, even as it was being highly coveted by many different actors.

And again, I'm not a fan of Gunn's craft, so I have no reason to assume that this casting is going to work for me, personally. I think there's a pretty good chance Gunn won't even take the character seriously.
All casting decision go through Feige for final say. At least for major roles. If you have a problem with the casting, you have a problem with Feige, not Gunn.

You have not judged the actor on their work at all. You just keep saying because Gunn worked with him, it's a issue. Which is frankly a ridiculous argument. Also how is a negative they worked together? Oh, Scorsese worked with Robert DeNiro in Mean Streets. It's the only reason he cast him in Taxi Driver. It's obviously going to suck. :o

All casting decision go through Feige for final say. At least for major roles. If you have a problem with the casting, you have a problem with Feige, not Gunn.

You have not judged the actor on their work at all. You just keep saying because Gunn worked with him, it's a issue. Which is frankly a ridiculous argument. Also how is a negative they worked together? Oh, Scorsese worked with Robert DeNiro in Mean Streets. It's the only reason he cast him in Taxi Driver. It's obviously going to suck. :o
Well, of course Feige would have to be involved, I've been told that this is one of the most important characters in the entire Marvel Universe.

Even closer to home, Coogler worked with Michael B Jordan but it doesn’t mean he sucked because he cast him in Black Panther. This is basic networking and seeing talent first hand, not like casting non-actor friends in roles. :D

Even closer to home, Coogler worked with Michael B Jordan but it doesn’t mean he sucked because he cast him in Black Panther. This is basic networking and seeing talent first hand, not like casting non-actor friends in roles. :D
I pause when it's family without a track record. That's clear nepotism, even when it works out. But hiring an actor because you are familiar with their work is one of the most obvious and well worn ways to cast in film.

I like that film more than most, despite the horrendous pacing, but this is enough for me to flip to the hater’s club. :yay:
giphy.gif

Who was she supposed to play?

I still like the movie :o

I pause when it's family without a track record. That's clear nepotism, even when it works out. But hiring an actor because you are familiar with their work is one of the most obvious and well worn ways to cast in film.
No Darth. Only the biggest actors in the world can be hired for important roles!

Yeah, it’s not like Denzel is anxiously sitting by the phone, waiting for the call from Gunn or Feige. Maybe he is interesting in starring in a Marvel film, I have no idea. But it’s crazy to me to just assume Chukwudi Iwuji is going to suck in the role because… he’s not Denzel. I mean, what? I’ve only seen Iwuji in one thing (Peacemaker) but he was really good in that so hopefully he knocks this role out of the park. If not, fine. But give the guy a chance, since he has the role.

This.

If I were an up-and-coming actor who had just landed a plum role in a huge Marvel movie, I would personally hope that audiences would keep an open mind and give me a chance to prove myself, instead of immediately jumping to the conclusion that I'll suck because I'm not better known or a bigger name.

That's all I'd want for Christmas...

And just to be clear, I'm only responding to the discussion at hand. In no way am I directing my response towards, or trying to belittle, any other posters in this thread :yay:

Seeing the phrase "beloved characters" in relation to any character being introduced in a Guardians' film comes across as conflating one's one personal interests with everyone else's. Outside of Adam Warlock, everyone in these movies are relatively obscure cosmic characters in the Marvel Universe. Calling them "beloved" seems a bit ridiculous to me. High Evolutionary isn't even remotely close to that kind of status, and his "importance" doesn't change that either.

Lets be real: Adam Warlock is *also* an obscure cosmic character. Yes, he's slightly more well known than some of the other Guardians cast ( pre-MCU ), but slightly less obscure is still obscure. He wasn't a Wolverine or a Hulk, or even an Iron Man or Captain America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"