Reaction score
Last time on Map Quest:
Classic Hera,
a9f2a5a7266cf477225d52dbf86206192e5e6b7a.gifv

classic Sabine,
d9787efc809354e0ff165ce3d70d50e17467d854.gifv

classic Holdo.
49158f37b84b45b8249def7285c51e3810a4e5c5.gifv

Now time for episode 5 of The Rise of Skinwalker...

976bf5f4071340e07bf1189f518a9fa3165811a1.gifv

I wonder if this episode is in theaters because it is going to be a visual spectacle, or because it will have lots of movie flashbacks. I just want to see some Clone Wars flashbacks.

Siege of Mandalore just looks like another random planet...

This is the ugliest episode of Star Wars television there has ever been. Everyone who talks about Filoni sucking was right....

At least Dawson isn't in a lot of this episode.

Well they'll hope Anakin brings some people in. Considering Disney has avoided talking about the amount of viewers they've had for the last three episodes, that's all they got.

I feel like that episode tipped the show into bad. Narrative issue, long and short, bad directing, the lead being the worst actor/character on the show, trying to pull on the member berries of a show the majority of Star Wars fans wouldn't know, and then retconning it for them.

Nothing happens on this show. Boba had weird pacing, but at least stuff happened every once in awhile. Nothing happens here and it's praying for the music to give it feeling.

Was nice to see the clone wars flashback, but yeah the visual of the planets were very low budget. Watching it in a theatre wouldn't make a difference.

It was a good episode, Anakin seemed powerful. I still prefer the animated Anakin though. Doesn't matter if it is George or Dave directing Hayden, he just isn't as good as the animated Clone Wars versions. Both animated versions are still above his performances, and the Genndy one hardly speaks, lol.

The flashbacks did have a more realistic war-like tone than the animated versions ever had. So that was a nice addition. I do appreciate the real Clone Troopers and not the cgi ones from the prequels.

I liked seeing Rex's armour in live action. That was cool. Younger Ahsoka did a solid job. Man those headpieces have never looked worse though. The Siege of Mandalore one and the attempt to just have Ahsoka be without a headpiece both looked really awful.

Overall, it's... an episode. Last week's was definitely a stronger outing. What happened this week should have been really big, emotional stuff, there's a lot of theoretical character development here, but I think the writing and Dawson's acting have done a really poor job setting this arc up and it feels unearned as a result and the actual sequence with Anakin is wonky at best. The animation/live action change while trying to pull on feelings for Clone Wars doesn't help, especially not when their depiction is just a lot of fog.

Missed Sabine, but I'm glad Hera was around more as she continues to be a bright spot in the show. But this has been really disappointing so far. I had a lot of confidence that, even if I don't like Dawson's casting, Filoni's history in television would lead to a show that was better written and constructed than the non-Andor Disney+ Star Wars outings so far, but this has felt really sloppy across the board.

This is what's been irritating me about the Star Wars shows (save for Andor). They have eight episodes that are 30-45 minutes each (at best), and they allow themselves to meander about with filler content and scenes that run way too long. This episode was effectively one giant chase scene that wasn't even all that engaging to watch. Come on.

I suppose we will get to the meat of the story in episode 6, and then they'll blow through the last 2 episodes to set up S2 and that will be it. Sounds swell. You almost have to prefer movies at this point. At least they force discipline and urgency of storytelling.

Don't mistake me. There are things in here that I am liking (the characters mainly), but let's keep the story moving please.

Mhm.

Was nice to see the clone wars flashback, but yeah the visual of the planets were very low budget. Watching it in a theatre wouldn't make a difference.

It was a good episode, Anakin seemed powerful. I still prefer the animated Anakin though. Doesn't matter if it is George or Dave directing Hayden, he just isn't as good as the animated Clone Wars versions. Both animated versions are still above his performances, and the Genndy one hardly speaks, lol.

The flashbacks did have a more realistic war-like tone than the animated versions ever had. So that was a nice addition. I do appreciate the real Clone Troopers and not the cgi ones from the prequels.
Chow made him work on Obi-Wan.

They're extended films. Like the worst of the Marvel shows.
Like at some point these scenes just loiter, man. With a better writer and more competent editor, think about how much stuff they could have gotten through in near four hours of screen time. Instead it feels like nearly nothing has happened at all.

It's extremely, extremely poor storytelling.

Last edited:
Like at some point these scenes just loiter, man. With a better writer and more competent editor, think about how much stuff they could have gotten through in near four hours of screen time. Instead of feels like nearly nothing has happened at all.

It's extremely, extremely poor storytelling.
I 100% agree. It's probably a weird position to be in. They have material for a solid 3, maybe 4 hours. But their bosses are asking for something that can run for two months. They need it for the minutes and they just don't have it.

Pacing on the SW shows are really all over the place. More so then even the Marvel ones, which I feel like are just all obviously padded. Boba zoomed, until it stops dead. Mando blew through a season's worth of storytelling on Boba, and then comes back with not much of a story to tell for it's own season, that felt like a crawl. Obi-Wan padded like mad to reach it's length. Now Ahsoka feels like it's on super cruise control.

Yeah I'm seeing so many fan people losing their sh** over this episode and I guess good for them that they found enjoyment in their lives but this episode was stale with so many Memberberries piled into this. I don't understand what the point of this show is anymore aside from callbacks and fanboy circlej***s. Every character has zero personality.

Also I liked this episode better when it was called Avatar The Way of Water. :o

8a9a348fe3d5de105941a03587035ba107e3ffeb.gifv

Last edited:
Andor remains the crown jewel because Gilroy somehow convinced them to let him do his thing, and he has the experience to know what he's doing. For ****'s sake, Andor basically had four mini story arcs (three episodes each) that tied together into one larger narrative. And it all worked. Clear beginnings. Clear conclusions. Characters with agency.

The mfers on these other shows meanwhile can't even navigate one storyline effectively.

I'm trying really hard to give this show a fair chance, I am. Ahsoka says a couple of lines at the end of the episode that can basically be summarized as "I'm not doing this because it'll work, I'm doing it because doing something is better than nothing" which I think really represents what these series about established characters (Andor not included) are. They doesn't have an interesting story someone wants to tell, they're just throwing random ideas at the wall just because they need to tell a story. Which is the wrong reason for doing so, and it shows because consistently all these series are nonsense. This one in particular hit a new low with this nostalgia bait, key jangling garbage.

Can we leave Anakin Skywalker alone? Please. It pains me deeply to have to watch Manakin Skinwalker parade around as if they're even remotely the same character. It's a damn shame because I really do enjoy seeing Hayden. The material is so bad, and he's elevating it to watchable. I get so frustrated watching this because I really enjoy this trope of characters being guided through their past to truly understand who they are better. Moon Knight's one good episode did it. Filoni is just incapable of doing anything of interest with it, and instead uses it somehow worse than surface level. It's just throwing things you know at you. Oh look, it's his CW outfit! Wow isn't it cool that she's seeing Darth Vader! Remember everybody, Anakin is Vader everybody! I hope you didn't forget. If you did let me express that in the most uncreative visual way possible.

Ahsoka is boring as hell to watch. Which makes Sabine's absence felt hard. Thankfully Hera was there, but guess they couldn't have a good actress hang around too long so. No more Hera until the finale probably. Love that.

Filoni's live-action writing has always been bad, but it's getting worse. It's bad enough when you forget other people's work when writing sequels, it's even more embarrassing when you forget your own. Especially episode to episode, but that's fine because he just wants to trick you into thinking the moment is dramatic. I don't think the dialogue could be more generic. Plotting is all over the place. The characters are all stupid. His filmmaking belongs back in film school. He doesn't know how to light properly, his framing is always basic, and the only thing he can think of to make it more interesting is to spin the camera. Despite what people might tell you, that's not a good trick!

Last episode for the most part gave me hope that maybe this series would kind of just sit firmly in nothing mediocrity, but after tonight it fell off the cliff it keeps showing me a million times into bad with no hope of recovering.

Yeah I'm seeing so many fan people losing their sh** over this episode and I guess good for them that they found enjoyment in their lives but this episode was stale with so many Memberberries piled into this. I don't understand what the point of this show is anymore aside from callbacks and fanboy circlej***s. Every character has zero personality.
I think Sabine and Hera have personality. I feel like the problem for Hera, is she's been dull dishwater material. The two droids are also fun.

But god, Ahsoka sucks.

It does seem like all Hera does is walk away from camera, pose, then walk into camera. Then insert ship flying into and out of frame.

I think Sabine and Hera have personality. I feel like the problem for Hera, is she's been dull dishwater material. The two droids are also fun.

But god, Ahsoka sucks.

They both have the potential of being interesting characters but they are given so little to work with. It doesn't help they deliver all their dialogue in the same tone no matter what's going on.

Also, the droids are pretty forgettable to me, the one from Andor was at least memorable and felt additive to the story.

200w.gif

Andor remains the crown jewel because Gilroy somehow convinced them to let him do his thing, and he has the experience to know what he's doing. For ****'s sake, Andor basically had four mini story arcs (three episodes each) that tied together into one larger narrative.

The mfers on these other shows meanwhile can't even navigate one storyline effectively.
Gilroy isn't just doing his own thing. He has something to say. About war, authoritarianism, the working class, etc.

S3 Mando, Boba, and this, is Fav/Filoni doing their own thing. And I think a big problem with that is neither has much story left to tell with these characters and they have very little in terms of themes.

It's painfully obvious Ahsoka should've died on Rebels. She's a ghost walking around without a story to tell. Mando, any interesting story he had for season 3, was done on three episodes of Boba. Boba, they clearly made up as they went along, and threw in Cad so fans of the animated stuff would have a call back they know.

Andor is such a TV show, that these not being, is glaring.

Lot of nails being hit on the head with these last few posts.

It really does feel like a show that is designed solely for those people who are easily placated by nostalgia. Because really, take fan bias out of the equation and what have been the strengths of this show in terms of storytelling and character? Where's the drama?

Nothing's happening, the characters are sleepwalking, and the storytellers have nothing interesting to say at all.

Lot of nails being hit on the head with these last few posts.

It really does feel like a show that is designed solely for those people who are easily placated by nostalgia. Because really, take fan bias out of the equation and what have been the strengths of this show in terms of storytelling and character? Where's the drama?

Nothing's happening, the characters are sleepwalking, and the storytellers have nothing interesting to say at all.
Exactly. And I get it. I'm a fan. Seeing Anakin wield a lightsaber will always get me. But I think seeing all these theoretically cool/big moments done in these subpar shows, kind of just hurts me as a fan.

I think about the key element of this episode. Anakin and Ahsoka, done in animation, with their proper voice actors, and how much better it would both look and sound. And how it would've been a 25 min episode in an arc that wasn't just trying to meet an episode count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"