Ahsoka Ahsoka: Episode 5 Spoiler Thread

Even the characters/performers I like and know are capable are dragged down by the material. I've consistently given praise to Hera because I think MEW has done the best job feeling like the character despite the change in form, but her material is stretched thin and dragged down in these scenes that just feel like they go on and on and on.

Andor keeps coming up as a comparison but it's hard not to. This show shouldn't be the same as Andor at all, it's theoretically telling a very different story (unfortunately, as delivered, there's very little to that story), but I want to see that level of care here. That attention to characters and plotting and themes. Those gorgeous visuals instead of wandering back and forth on grey backdrops rendered in the Volume. This show is just... disappointing.

Not to get off topic, but Andor doesn't matter. We already know what happens to the rebellion, the empire, and the main character. So it really has nowhere to actually go. All they can do is squeeze out every bit of time between then and Rogue one.

Not to get off topic, but Andor doesn't matter. We already know what happens to the rebellion, the empire, and the main character. So it really has nowhere to actually go. All they can do is squeeze out every bit of time between then and Rogue one.
To be fair, we know where all this is going to. Because the ST status quo must exist.

It matters with respect to the characters and what happens to them along the way.

It just makes Andor that much more impressive that you can still be captivated by something you already know how it ends. It's like Better Call Saul.

*sees talk back on episode after watching*

IMG_0967.gif

IMG_0966.gif

Listen, I absolutely loved Andor. It’s my favorite project out of all of these made in the past 46 years bar none. So, I get the need to criticize and expect more from this franchise nowadays for not meeting that level of quality. Lord knows I’ve had my fair share these past few years. And I get a lot of the issues with this series specifically.

But, with my current physical condition the way it is nowadays, avoiding stuff that would stress me out and exacerbate my issues, I’m having to look for the fun and positivity anywhere I can. And, man, I got it this episode. I don’t know how to explain it, but I just did. I am normally down on this kind of stuff, but, this time, it just worked for me. Maybe I’m just in a particularly good mood today.

You guys are free to discuss and criticize the episode to your hearts’ content, but I think I am just going to avoid the Ahsoka thread from here on in. I can’t afford to take in stuff that’s just gonna cause me stress and affect my physical health negatively all the time.

I’m just…tired, man.

*sigh*

Last edited:
Just PLEASE make Thrawn interesting. Or will Mikkelsen need every ounce of his natural charisma to drag this thing to the finish line by its nails?
It's Mikkelsen in a major villain role for a big franchise. History is not on our side with that one.

To be fair, we know where all this is going to. Because the ST status quo must exist.

It matters with respect to the characters and what happens to them along the way.

It just makes Andor that much more impressive that you can still be captivated by something you already know how it ends. It's like Better Call Saul.

That's fair, sort of enjoying the journey rather than the destination. That's fine, just hard to get invested for me.

Just PLEASE make Thrawn interesting. Or will Mikkelsen need every ounce of his natural charisma to drag this thing to the finish line by its nails?

Not only they are going to save that guy for last, but his only line will be like...

554b2fffa818e1e45af2c950f9f5f8c901bf769c.gif

*sees talk back on episode after watching*

View attachment 67842

View attachment 67841

Listen, I absolutely loved Andor. It’s my favorite project out of all of these made in the past 46 years bar none. So, I get the need to criticize and expect more from this franchise nowadays for not meeting that level of quality. Lord knows I’ve had my fair share these past few years. And I get a lot of the issues with this series specifically.

But, with my current physical condition the way it is nowadays, avoiding stuff that would stress me out and exacerbate my issues, I’m having to look for the fun and positivity anywhere I can. And, man, I got it this episode. I don’t know how to explain it, but I just did. I am normally down on this kind of stuff, but, this time, it just worked for me. Maybe I’m just in a particularly good mood today.

You guys are free to discuss and criticize the episode to your hearts’ content, but I think I am just going to avoid the Ahsoka thread from here on in. I can’t afford to take in stuff that’s just gonna cause me stress and affect my physical health negatively all the time.
I'm sorry about your condition my man. I hope it improves.

I love Andor, but I'm not asking for Andor here. Well I am asking for it to understand television like Andor, but beyond that. Star Wars isn't just Andor. It's got a long history awesome, including the shows these characters were taken from. Maybe it's the wannabe writer in me, but I just can't enjoy this. I want to, because I love all these characters. But I just can't. The only thing this show seems to understand about Star Wars is recreating the past. It's missing everything else that makes Star Wars great imo.

Andor "doesn't matter" if fiction is only evaluated by the metric of what it does for some meta franchise narrative as opposed to the story it's telling and the themes it wishes to explore.

Andor "doesn't matter" if fiction is only evaluated by the metric of what it does for some meta franchise narrative as opposed to the story it's telling and the themes it wishes to explore.
While the OT is celebrated for a lot of it's surface level, the depth of it's soul is always underrated imo. It's got a Heart of Darkness quality that I do not feel many give it credit for. Andor really picked up that baton and ran with it.

Had to rewatch the Manakin Skinwalker material because I'm genuinely confused as to what Filoni was trying to do with this. This needed to be the entire 40 minute runtime because there's a Starkiller Base sized portion missing from this arc here. You can't use this framing device effectively in 10 minutes, you just can't.

Had to rewatch the Manakin Skinwalker material because I'm genuinely confused as to what Filoni was trying to do with this. This needed to be the entire 40 minute runtime because there's a Starkiller Base sized portion missing from this arc here. You can't use this framing device effectively in 10 minutes, you just can't.
Their volume time was running low, man!

You're actually in the majority if you look on social media. All I'm seeing on my timeline are people gushing about this episode. This thread is the only place that I've seen so far that has a reasonable reaction to this.

I didn't hate the episode or even think it was that bad, but man this is probably the first time I've ever felt so cold and empty after watching an episode that I had such little emotional investment in.

Maybe not seeing Clone Wars or Rebels is really impacting this one for me but even taking out all the fanservice this episode still felt really strange/jarring to me in terms of structure and pacing.

I just didn't think it flowed all that well from the beginning although there were some cool visuals sprinkled throughout like the Vader stuff and the stuff with the space whales.

I still think this show looks pretty cinematic for the most part volume or not, but I really do wish they wouldn't lean so heavily on the nostalgia and fanservice, but it is what it is at this point.

If people love it that's cool but to me the reason Andor and the first season of Mando felt so refreshing is because they felt so isolated/contained compared to these other SW shows.

Oh well hopefully it does improve from here.

Overall, I am enjoying this series, though I feel this episode was a miss. I have accepted the pacing, as it became clear with episode 3 that this is a 2 season story. At least.

Coming from shows with some great set, costume and make up design to this show is kind of rough. Anakin looked bad, and the attempt at his Clone Wars costume was worse. And the less said about the Ahsoka without the head band the better.

I have honestly no idea about that vision was about. It bounced around a **** ton, while also half assing the explanation. And it was the shining example of telling, not showing. As what seemed to be the issue was not really explored in Rebels or this show. And such a missed opportunity to actually talk about Vader. Rather than Anakin just dismissing it.

And I will be honest, Dawson was making progress as Ahsoka with me this episode. Entirely undercut by Arianna Greenblatt as young Ahsoka, which thank god they didn't try to CGI her. And good lord, not looking forward to the gross complaints about her costume not having the belly shirt.

Anyway, a pity that we are unlikely to see Hera again till the finale. Maybe we could get Zeb as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"