The Mandalorian Chapter 20 Spoiler Discussion

WTF is this chase?! Couldn't they at least put a wind machine on this guy's cloak to make it look like he's moving faster than 4 mph???? I mean that's Filmmaking In Your Backyard 101 guys, come on now.
It feels a lot like the corner cutting on Boba. Which makes me wonder if this was down to COVID. But then I remember Andor was shot during the same time period, and I just can't figure it out.

Now that’s what I am talking about. Not that last week wasn’t a good episode but this is more like it. Really dope episode and I can’t wait to watch it again.

Maybe Andor has just set my expectations too high. This has been weird so far. This was the time to give the rest of the season a sense of direction springboarding off the resolution of the whole sacred waters arc. Give us a sense of something we're building towards.

Maybe Andor has just set my expectations too high. This has been weird so far. This was the time to give the rest of the season a sense of direction springboarding off the resolution of the whole sacred waters arc. Give us a sense of something we're building towards.
There has been three proper episodes of the Mando for season 3. The problem is, two of them were on Boba, and these last two felt like one episode, stretched over two weeks to compensate. Honestly, that's how the first two episodes felt as well. One episode, stretched over two weeks, with a lot of padding to make them "long enough".

I guess my question is - what does Din want now? He's the lead, I should have a sense of what he desires or what his goal is. Season 1, get the kid, then hide out with the kid. Season 2, get kid to a Jedi. Season 3, redemption via bath. He achieved that and now... what? I guess just raise Grogurt in the cult? But if that's the case, maybe we need to focus a little more on the group dynamic of it instead of wandering off to do another monster attack/go get the thing episode. Because, if that is what they want his goal to be now, there's no real opposition to it at this time.

These people better be the villains of the season, I stg. :argh:
They're basically having their own ritual sacrific on the beach every other episode, and I'm suppose to believe no one thinks this is weird, and Bo thinks this is all kind of cool now?

This Bo feels incongruent with the character up to this point. I get she's lonely, but she's not suppose to be stupid.

I guess my question is - what does Din want now? He's the lead, I should have a sense of what he desires or what his goal is. Season 1, get the kid, then hide out with the kid. Season 2, get kid to a Jedi. Season 3, redemption via bath. He achieved that and now... what?
This season seems to be more about Bo-Katan's journey than Din's, and like...when her journey seemed to be about going undercover and maybe taking down this cult while finding her own faith again, I was on board, but....this episode has me worried that's not what her journey is at all. Favreau & Filoni straight-up came across as Team Cult in this episode, and I don't care for it at all. I'm hoping it's a misdirect or something.

The Armorer:

apocalypse-now-robert-duvall.gif

They're basically having their own ritual sacrific on the beach every other episode, and I'm suppose to believe no one thinks this is weird, and Bo thinks this is all kind of cool now?

This Bo feels incongruent with the character up to this point. I get she's lonely, but she's not suppose to be stupid.
This season seems to be more about Bo-Katan's journey than Din's, and like...when her journey seemed to be about going undercover and maybe taking down this cult while finding her own faith again, I was on board, but....this episode has me worried that's not what her journey is at all. Favreau & Filoni straight-up came across as Team Cult in this episode, and I don't care for it at all. I'm hoping it's a misdirect or something.
That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I'm down for Bo infiltrating the cult, trying to take control of it for whatever ends she might desire. But she feels too unsure. And like maybe you could do something where there's some uncertainty around the cult maybe having a point, but that doesn't feel like what's happening here. If it is, then I don't think it's very well written.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I'm down for Bo infiltrating the cult, trying to take control of it for whatever ends she might desire. But she feels too unsure. And like maybe you could do something where there's some uncertainty around the cult maybe having a point, but that doesn't feel like what's happening here. If it is, then I don't think it's very well written.
The Cult hasn't even tried to make a point, or make a case for themselves. They're just automatically cool for some reason.

The Cult hasn't even tried to make a point, or make a case for themselves. They're just automatically cool for some reason.
Exactly. "What if the cult is right?" is a super common story point if you're going to do a cult, but you can't do it when the cult has no real philosophy. These guys just show up and are like "Don't take your helmet off ever. Why? Because we say it's bad to." Like... how do you explore it? It's just too poorly defined for it.

The episode itself was fine. Some minor quibbles of how a kid snatched for food is still unharmed nearly a day afterwards, but whatever. I think overall, I think there is some structural weakness beginning to show in this shows storytelling. I have to assume Filoni was not as involved, given Ahsoka prep, and I think it is showing.

Overall, my biggest concern is the Mandos themselves. This feels like regression of the Mandos. Back to the Fandalorian days, the days of Traviss. Which I do not get, given Filoni even continued the Mando cultural expansion in Rebels, after George was gone. And quite honestly, no mention of Satine by Bo-katan feels like a red flag in that regard. And honestly, Bo-katan did not feel like Bo-katan at the end of the episode. That she and the Armorer are not going after each other feels wrong on many levels.

But hey, good to hear Naboo blasters again. I am sure we are going to get random flashbacks to Grogu and his new Jedi protector scattered over random episodes, hell random series.

The episode itself was fine. Some minor quibbles of how a kid snatched for food is still unharmed nearly a day afterwards, but whatever. I think overall, I think there is some structural weakness beginning to show in this shows storytelling. I have to assume Filoni was not as involved, given Ahsoka prep, and I think it is showing.

Overall, my biggest concern is the Mandos themselves. This feels like regression of the Mandos. Back to the Fandalorian days, the days of Traviss. Which I do not get, given Filoni even continued the Mando cultural expansion in Rebels, after George was gone. And quite honestly, no mention of Satine by Bo-katan feels like a red flag in that regard. And honestly, Bo-katan did not feel like Bo-katan at the end of the episode. That she and the Armorer are not going after each other feels wrong on many levels.

But hey, good to hear Naboo blasters again. I am sure we are going to get random flashbacks to Grogu and his new Jedi protector scattered over random episodes, hell random series.
Filoni co-wrote this episode.

The lack of understanding of the legacy characters and lore is reminding me of Boba Fett. Where Black K showed up, and was treated like no one knew he already existed.

Luke thinking, quite literally "What would Boba Fett do?" is seared in my brain. I ain't ever forgetting, nor forgiving.
That's when I stopped reading. No, that's not true, I stopped when they killed my wife in the dumbest way possible. But, I did read the message board wars on that chapter. It wasn't pretty. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"