The Mandalorian Chapter 20 Spoiler Discussion

Filoni co-wrote this episode.

The lack of understanding of the legacy characters and lore is reminding me of Boba Fett. Where Black K showed up, and was treated like no one knew he already existed.
Boba acting like he's a total stranger when Black K was introduced with him was a choice.
image_d9addfaf.jpeg

The lack of understanding of the legacy characters and lore is reminding me of Boba Fett. Where Black K showed up, and was treated like no one knew he already existed.

And that is part of where I am confused. Bo-katan isn't a legacy character, she is one of his characters.

That's when I stopped reading. No, that's not true, I stopped when they killed my wife in the dumbest way possible. But, I did read the message board wars on that chapter. It wasn't pretty. :funny:

Legacy of the Force is almost worth a read if just to see one of the most dysfunctional writing groups try to work together. Traviss and Denning quite literally retconing what each other wrote, while Alliston just quietly did his own thing. Thinking about it, it shows what luck The High Republic has been, with so many authors on the same page. Even NJO had issues with different authors direction.

You know what, thinking about this part - this group is called Children of the Watch. In French, they're the Heirs of Death Watch. So it's kinda weird to not have mentioned that Bo was a major figure in Death Watch. Sometimes it feels like the shows are trying to avoid too much history to avoid turning off newcomers while still having all these elements that should have history there for fans. It's weird and it's not a very happy medium.

You know what, thinking about this part - this group is called Children of the Watch. In French, they're the Heirs of Death Watch. So it's kinda weird to not have mentioned that Bo was a major figure in Death Watch. Sometimes it feels like the shows are trying to avoid too much history to avoid turning off newcomers while still having all these elements that should have history there for fans. It's weird and it's not a very happy medium.
It feels written by someone who skimmed Wookiepedia one time, and all they retained was their name.

That, or, they decided to save it all for one upcoming info dump episode. :nrv:

Beyond belief that she doesn't go after a Mauldalorian.

So, Big Bird takes the kid to its nest, which Bo tracks. They then wait an entire night before climbing up to the nest, only to see the bird regurgitate the kid, somehow alive and well. Was he in there the entire time?! Just spending 9 hours inside a gullet, it's fine. But I guess the campfire cookout showed how absolutely sad and depressing the cult's meals are, so they had to take the time.

It's just so inexplicably messy.

This show is truly starting to infuriate me.
I've watched four episodes where absolutely nothing noteworthy happens.

Can someone tell me what the story of this season is? Because we're halfway through now.

Considering Jon Favreau writes like, 15 page long scripts (Robert Rodriguez mentioned as much when talking about the Boba episode in season 2), I get the impression he asked Filoni to chip in. Hat man writes the Grogu flashback and then dips out to keep doing more interesting stuff over on the Ahsoka set.

I thought this episode was entertaining even if it didn't advance the plot much. The Order 66 flashback with Jedi Master Ahmed Best was the highlight, although IMO it would have been a ballsier move if it were actually Jar Jar who rescued him. I'm only half joking because it would have made more sense for that to happen because why would a random Jedi have connections with the Naboo secret service? Unless it was Jar Jar who orchestrated the whole thing.

giphy.gif

Get off the beach already, you all just keep getting jumped by animals.

Christ, get off the fracking beach. :funny:

How many kaiju's gotta attack this water hole before somebody says, "hey, maybe we should find a new cave"???
All the wildlife on that planet waiting for the Mandalorians to go outside:

pa79yadkfl831.png

Messy writing and structure aside I still had quite a bit of fun with this episode. I mean it was mostly a filler episode, but I really enjoyed seeing more of The Mandalorian's working/fighting together.

Carl Weathers did a great job directing the episode IMO and I'll never complain about more Kaiju stuff in this show, but I do hope this season eventually finds its footing when it comes to the overall plot.

It's definitely starting to feel a bit directionless which honestly has been a problem since this season started, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still enjoying the ride at least for the most part.

Also, I'm actually cool with Bo-Katan getting her own little mini arc this season.

At around 30 mins this felt like a trailer compared to last week!

The early ship action in this episode and early in last week's episode has been film standard to my eyes. Great to see that.

Grogu's armour is cute lol.

Bo is one of the best things about the show, so glad she is getting a good role.

Special effects in general seem much better here in a show than in some high budget Marvel films which is dumb, even the dino stuff. How did they get those 3 little ones onto a ship? :D

Messy writing and structure aside I still had quite a bit of fun with this episode. I mean it was mostly a filler episode, but I really enjoyed seeing more of The Mandalorian's working/fighting together.

Carl Weathers did a great job directing the episode IMO and I'll never complain about more Kaiju stuff in this show, but I do hope this season eventually finds its footing when it comes to the overall plot.

It's definitely starting to feel a bit directionless which honestly has been a problem since this season started, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still enjoying the ride at least for the most part.

Also, I'm actually cool with Bo-Katan getting her own little mini arc this season.
True, not a whole lot of story development here.

Didn't realise Weathers was directing.

A Kaijudude who doesn't complain about kaiju, who would have thought? :hehe:

It would be nice to get more movement on the overall narrative of the season, but like you I'm here for the (very) fun ride regardless.

Bo has been good enough to justify her own solo show! I hope she is a staple of Star Wars live action going forward.

I like the idea of Bo Katan temporarily joining the cult. She desperately wants to lead Mandalore again, yet most of the remaining Mandalorians are obsessed with their past. Suddenly she is flung into a situation where they all accept her and where she can feel connected to her homeworld again, and people are angry that she's interested?

She was sitting in an empty mansion before, with no hope and no goal whatsoever. But she suddenly saw the beast of lore that shouldn't even exist. The very beast that is supposed to unite the Mandalorians! And then she just so happens to be in a position to rejoin the tribe with this secret information. Of course she'd be interested in that. And the show hinted at her going in that direction.

I imagine Bo Katan will find a way to make this group hers, honestly.. and I like that too.

This season seems to be more about Bo-Katan's journey than Din's, and like...when her journey seemed to be about going undercover and maybe taking down this cult while finding her own faith again, I was on board, but....this episode has me worried that's not what her journey is at all. Favreau & Filoni straight-up came across as Team Cult in this episode, and I don't care for it at all. I'm hoping it's a misdirect or something.

This episode was easily one of the worst of the series thus far for me.

Yeah I liked the Grogu stuff, but it's turning into the Bo Katan show. Din is starting to feel like a supporting character, the major storyline appears to be about Bo. Give that character her own show instead of taking over this one. (It's Book of Boba Fett all over again)

I guess I'm more of a "casual" Star Wars fan, but I'm not really that interested in Mandalorian culture and lore, and they seem to heavily focus on that now... so I'm not surprised that they're losing viewers. There's no clear quest this season.

This also might be the worst episode for me. Sure all the Grogu scenes are cute, but it's kind of a filler episode. This feels so small and insignificant after everything we've already seen. (besides the flashback)

I like the idea of Bo Katan temporarily joining the cult. She desperately wants to lead Mandalore again, yet most of the remaining Mandalorians are obsessed with their past. Suddenly she is flung into a situation where they all accept her and where she can feel connected to her homeworld again, and people are angry that she's interested?

She was sitting in an empty mansion before, with no hope and no goal whatsoever. But she suddenly saw the beast of lore that shouldn't even exist. The very beast that is supposed to unite the Mandalorians! And then she just so happens to be in a position to rejoin the tribe with this secret information. Of course she'd be interested in that. And the show hinted at her going in that direction.

I imagine Bo Katan will find a way to make this group hers, honestly.. and I like that too.
I’m fine with this, and glad she’s got something she’s interested in getting involved with. Just hope this new crew can provide her with a worthy gaming chair. :D

Assuming there's 8 episodes in the season, they really need to pick up the pace. I did enjoy Grogu's flashback sequence. I hope they keep expanding on that.
They need to make next episode the one that truly gives the season the narrative push it needs IMO. Can’t wait any later than that. That is if there are 8 episodes total.

Yeah I liked the Grogu stuff, but it's turning into the Bo Katan show. Din is starting to feel like a supporting character, the major storyline appears to be about Bo. Give that character her own show instead of taking over this one. (It's Book of Boba Fett all over again)

I guess I'm more of a "casual" Star Wars fan, but I'm not really that interested in Mandalorian culture and lore, and they seem to heavily focus on that now... so I'm not surprised that they're losing viewers. There's no clear quest this season.

This also might be the worst episode for me. Sure all the Grogu scenes are cute, but it's kind of a filler episode. This feels so small and insignificant after everything we've already seen. (besides the flashback)
Maybe they can complete the triangle/circle by having Boba completely hijack Bo's solo show. :cwink:

She deserves her own show and maybe some of this is building to that. We do need more from Din though for the rest of the show, as you say.

I would probably be considered a casual fan too - I like watching everything Star Wars but my knowledge/retention is poor. That said I love Mandalorian culture and lore - they add massively to the potential of Star Wars for me beyond just having Jedi and Sith at the top. Loved them since Clone Wars.

Are they losing viewers? Didn't know that. Shame if so, but then they have to do what's needed to get viewers back and no reason not to have a stronger narrative (I enjoyed it but can certainly see why people would call this episode filler) while still showing what they're showing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"