• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Episode 1 - 'Rise of the Blue Beetle!' Discussion Thread

I think legitimate comparisons to dcau should be warranted. That is the quality at which any dc animated series will and should be compared to. This show should not get any special treatment. If people don't think it matches up to dcau quality, then they should be free to vocalize that.

The legitimate comparisons I have no problems with. It's the posts that only complain that this show isn't like TAS, or that it should be like TAS, or will never be as good as TAS that are getting tiresome.

very true,

saying this isnt dcau or why can't they just bring back dcau isn't a decent argument especially since they are trying to stay clear of all comparisons by setting themselves up as unique.

it happened all the time in the batman and it got tiresome. It was clear right up till the end of season four that it was not trying to be anything like dcau and even accomplished in bettering it in some respects.

Ill behonest, Im looking forward to a lighter toned Batman for a change. We've had years of the dark and brooding Batman. A more friendly version wouldnt hurt anyone. Its a cartoon for kids, lets just enjoy it for what it is.

Lighter Batman? The Batman was lighter than BTAS...

I think one of the problems with 'The Batman' was that it wasn't really a different show. it had an updated design, but really followed too similar of a format.

Brave and the Bold really tears away from what we know in recent animated batman and throws him back into the super friends days. I really enjoyed this episode and I'm looking forward to watching more!

Lighter Batman? The Batman was lighter than BTAS...

I dont think so. It was just presented differently. Brave and the Bold is actually giving us a different Batman from a different time. The silver age.

this is nuts, im literally baffeled at such a positive respone overall to this. dont et me wrong looks liek a fine show and im nto bashing it, but wow... people are accepting it? I remember when "the Batman" came out everyone just bashed it because it wasnt liek btas i guess and didnt live up to it... but its odd that we are so welcome to a lighter, livelier batman than even "the Batman" which wasnt that dark at all. it eventually got better, but still had sidekicks galore.

Spidey, I think it's like a saying that they toss around in sports: You don't want to be the guy that follows a legend. You want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend. :funny:
Allow me to present my take on the perceived difference.

B:TAS (and by extension, the entire DCAU) was so well-received and acclaimed and rich in its portrayals, that the next animated series to focus on Batman was likely to be the recipient of heightened scrutiny. Even though B:TAS ended in '97 (or '95 if you want to separate Gotham Knights, which received its own criticism for 'not being B:TAS enough'), there was still plenty of that 'universe's' Batman that could be seen in syndication, as well as through Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, which was still on the air when The Batman premiered in 2004. Having such a thorough and favored character interpretation still active while a new show came on was going to rankle some people and bring the immediate question 'Why don't they just continue B:TAS?' There was an identifiable overlap in proximity. Comparison and inevitable disdain could almost be guaranteed as a reaction within the fanbase ...and that's even before one episode of The Batman was broadcast.

Another reason why The Batman caught so much flak was due to its aesthetics. It's art style came off as some anime-inspired acid trip and a number of the 'new' character designs struck me as ridiculous. A little revamp isn't necessarily a bad thing, but some of those choices were just awful (Joker, Penguin and Bane, to start off with).

Lastly, I found the show (save Season 4) rather bland throughout its duration. The lighter' tone of the stories wasn't really a problem. However, the execution of the episodes and subject matter left a little to be desired. Outside of the mentioned exclusion, it just wasn't that good on a consistent basis. That surely did it no favors.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold, while not completely immune to the above criticisms, doesn't suffer from them in the same regard. Though the B:TAS incarnation is still fondly remembered, some time has passed since it ended, including the passage of another show that's taken some of the sting off. The character designs (and implied tone) don't seem that drastic. They strike me as a slightly modified interpretation of the Silver Age. There's a familiarity there, that speaks against trying to re-invent the wheel. Also, I believe it holds some appeal as it's reflective of the style of Batman which was introduced a number of us to the character; be it the actual books, the old '60's show or the varied SuperFriends iterations. Overall, the show just looks fun. It's not trying to be the dark and brooding Batman, but seems to be going for a different entertainment quotient that won't relegate it to being silly, but will explore a little levity mixed alongside the heroism that we expect from Batman. Ultimately, the show will be judged on how good it is. Even though we've yet to see exactly what that is, for a number of the reasons listed above, I can see how people would be more receptive to this than the last animated Batman offering.

...or something like that. :batman:

A great and well thought out post Mister J. I have to disagree on one point. The Batman did catch a little flack for re-designs at first, from a select amount of fans..but it got the true bashing from its writing. The lack of any in-depth character development. It gave a show this ultra modern hip look and failed to deliver the stories and writing to accompany it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, guys.
LOG, that's another good point. It opens up some of what I was trying to get at with the blandness comment. The Batman just didn't get around to truly tapping into the potential that it could have. I'm hoping that won't be a concern with this show. The style lends itself to a lot of fun.

We get to see what this baby offers tonight. :hyper:

Well... I hope all American and Canadian Bat-fans enjoy this episode tonight. (Cause god knows when we will get the show :csad:)

And... Hope someone is a good Samaritan and You Tube's it or something.

Well, a couple hours and we get to see the show we've all been waiting, or in other cases, cringing, for. That theme song and opening alone is seizure-inducing candy, and it takes me back to Sat. morning for real. Can't wait.

I HAD COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS AND ALMOST MISSED IT!!!:eek: I WAS LOOKING AT MY DIRECT TV SCHEDULE TO SEE WHAT TIME STAR WARS TCW WAS GONNA BE ON WHEN I SAW THIS ON THE SCHEDULE ON CARTOON NETWORK!!!:D:up: THANK YOU MASTER YODA FOR HELPING ME SEE THE LIGHT, MAY THE SHWARTZ BE WITH YOU!!!:oldrazz::D:up:

Wow Blue Beetles a big batman fanboy

Didnt realize his name was pronounced with Spanish phonetics, which seems stupid considering hes Hispanic, but I always read Jaime as Jamie for whatever reason.

not bad so far and i called Jaime as Hi-me i guess it cause im used to calling my friend Jorge and not George

is that will friedel voicing jaime cause if so thats awesome

yay i was right .....i like when he voices characters Terry McGinis and of course Ron Stopable

Aww man, I'm having SO much fun watching this with my baby sister! Who else cracked up with the saving the cat scene? :woot: And, "Sidekick. Why do you not kneel?":woot:

I really, really enjoyed this. It exceeded all my expectations.

Aww man, I'm having SO much fun watching this with my baby sister! Who else cracked up with the saving the cat scene? :woot: And, "Sidekick. Why do you not kneel?":woot:

LOL YEAH THAT WAS FUNNY AS HELL, I LIKED THE SHOW IT WAS FUN, I LIKE THAT BATS NARRATES IT!!!:D:up:

this show was great i really enjoyed it ...i loved that clock kings bodyguards were named tick and tock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"