Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Looks like F4 may have been delayed indefinitely:

Breaking: Marvel Studios Makes Major Changes to Upcoming Slate - Murphy's Multiverse

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS which was previously dated on 3/25/22 moves to 5/6/22

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER which was previously dated on 5/6/22 moves to 7/8/22

BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER which was previously dated on 7/8/22 moves to 11/11/22

THE MARVELS which was previously dated on 11/11/22 moves to 2/17/23

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA which was previously dated on 2/17/23 moves to 7/28/23

UNTITLED MARVEL which was previously dated on 7/28/23 is removed from schedule

UNTITLED MARVEL which was previously dated on 10/6/23 is removed from schedule.

That July 2023 date was what was reported/speculated to be the MCU F4’s release date. Now it’s been removed completely.

Maybe Fox reacquired Fantastic Four so that's why it's off the schedule now. :o

Time to bring back the Keep Hope Alive thread.

I don't think The Incredible Hulk was a bad movie, but for some reason I see Iron Man as kicking off the MCU. I don't know if there is any valid argument for me thinking that, admittedly. I know Stark had that cameo in the credits scene of Hulk, but it seems like Iron Man kicked off the momentum, at least.

The problem Marvel has right now is they don't seem to have any sort of over arcing story that they're telling, it just feels like they're releasing random movies. I guess they're building up to Kane, but they've lost a few of their heavy hitters (Stark, Rodgers) plus a few other favorites (Nat and Gamora). They need to give people a reason to get back in the theaters. Personally, I think they're waiting too long to bring the Fantastic Four and their characters in (Doom and Galactus), but I'm admittedly biased.

Exactly. There’s an entirely different feel than there was a few years ago.

Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Black Panther - These are all well-known, heavy-hitting iconic Marvel characters. Add Hulk and some side characters like Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon and bring them all together and give them a big story… and then throw in Spider-Man and, Wow!

We could have predicted, without ever seeing a film, that something like that could be huge if done right.

But then to go from that to Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals… huh? Who?

How many of you had a Master of Kung Fu T-Shirt when you were a kid? An Eternals poster hanging on your wall? A Black Widow drinking glass?

If they’re going to retire characters like Iron Man and Captain America, they need to bring in the FF and X-Men sooner rather than later.

And they need serious villains and serious threats A bunch of weak, no-name “Dark Avengers” falls far short of the threats they need to be bringing in.

Maybe there’s something cool coming that we haven’t seen yet, but nothing they’ve been giving me recently has been getting me excited about what’s coming next.

Five years ago, I couldn’t wait for the next release.

Now I’m like “wake me up when FF or X-Men or Doom or Galactus or Silver Surfer are here.”

If they’re going to retire characters like Iron Man and Captain America, they need to bring in the FF and X-Men sooner rather than later.
I want to quote that since it's such a good point. Of course there's a "legacy" Captain America and there may be a "legacy" Iron Man, but that's not quite the same thing. One thing that could help bridge the gap is having top shelf villains - that's something the MCU has been criticized for, and something that the FF and X-Men franchises could help with, in a big way.

How many of you had a Master of Kung Fu T-Shirt when you were a kid? An Eternals poster hanging on your wall? A Black Widow drinking glass?

You dare to make fun of my memorabilia! :argh:

The November 2023 slot still strikes as being a possible release date for FF.

A November release just always felt more fitting than the abandoned July date to me.

Plus it would give Watts a two year turnaround after No Way Home which makes sense logistically.

But we'll see.

D23 is just over a month from now (Nov 19).

I’m nearly certain we’ll get something then.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the D23 event that’s happening this year is different from the one where they have news for Disney related movies and shows. The one your referring to as happening next month is actually Destination D23( which only be about collectibles and parks.) The D23 event where you should be expecting/hoping for any MCU news was already delayed to next year.

Disney’s D23 Delayed a Year to 2022

Which leaves that Disney Plus event day on November 12th the only time this year where you could possibly get Fantastic Four news. Though that event is only for Disney + so I would only expect we get news pertaining to Marvel shows as F4 is a movie, but there’s still a chance we get F4 related news especially if Marvel chooses to introduce any member of the team(pre-powers of course) as supporting characters in a show before their own movie(whenever that happens). But it’s just as possible Marvel waits until the movie to actually introduce the team. Fingers crossed we at least get something this year. Sorry to bring this news to you, but I figure you should know this now in order to save you from the disappointment and confusion when inevitably it happens next month and there’s zero news.

Last edited:
“The inaugural Disney+ Day on Nov. 12 will see the addition of new content to the already massive collection of Disney+ shows and movies across all of the brands featured on your Disney+ homepage. This will include, but isn't limited to: breaking news, first looks, new trailers, exclusive clips, and appearances from Disney+ creators and stars.”

Unless there is another Disney Investor’s event in December this year, then this may be the only venue Marvel uses to break any potential Fantastic Four related news this year.

Last edited:
Even without those details, our chances of hearing something soon dropped dramatically when the shuffled the schedule.

I was working from the assumption FF was likely to be the July 2023 release or at least the later 2023 release.

That’s coming quick, so we would be due for news from a production that likely already would have started.

Now that they’ve pushed everything out, I think the silence is likely to continue.

The problem Marvel has right now is they don't seem to have any sort of over arcing story that they're telling, it just feels like they're releasing random movies. I guess they're building up to Kane, but they've lost a few of their heavy hitters (Stark, Rodgers) plus a few other favorites (Nat and Gamora). They need to give people a reason to get back in the theaters. Personally, I think they're waiting too long to bring the Fantastic Four and their characters in (Doom and Galactus), but I'm admittedly biased.

i agree. their plan seems vague. Even the first Iron Man hinted at the Avengers and then the Avengers hinted at Thanos. Right now the only thing i can think of is Julia Louis Dreyfuss aka Madame Hydra but that isnt really a big thing compared to Thanos and Infinity War. Yes Secret Wars is in production but there is absolutely nothing from Disney+ and the recent movies that hint at that besides Capt Marvel

Exactly. There’s an entirely different feel than there was a few years ago.

Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Black Panther - These are all well-known, heavy-hitting iconic Marvel characters. Add Hulk and some side characters like Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon and bring them all together and give them a big story… and then throw in Spider-Man and, Wow!

We could have predicted, without ever seeing a film, that something like that could be huge if done right.

But then to go from that to Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals… huh? Who?

And they need serious villains and serious threats A bunch of weak, no-name “Dark Avengers” falls far short of the threats they need to be bringing in.

Maybe there’s something cool coming that we haven’t seen yet, but nothing they’ve been giving me recently has been getting me excited about what’s coming next.

Five years ago, I couldn’t wait for the next release.

Now I’m like “wake me up when FF or X-Men or Doom or Galactus or Silver Surfer are here.”

yes even Daredevil or Ghost Rider would be great if they dropped them sooner

at this point it would be a good idea to send spies to see everything director Watts is up to.

Even without those details, our chances of hearing something soon dropped dramatically when the shuffled the schedule.

I was working from the assumption FF was likely to be the July 2023 release or at least the later 2023 release.

That’s coming quick, so we would be due for news from a production that likely already would have started.

Now that they’ve pushed everything out, I think the silence is likely to continue.
Fair point, but I think the timetable on news happening depends on whether Marvel only plans to introduce these characters in the MCU with their own solo movie (whenever that happens) or they plan to introduce them whether individually or together in other heroes movies or shows. So I can still see some casting news happening this year. As you said the chances have greatly decreased with delays, but I like to think Feige wants to do something with the FF sooner than later. Fingers crossed we get something, anything, even a small comment from Watts about the project that will inevitably be turned into clickbait headlines that fans will read too much into would suffice!

If the 2023 production rumors are true then if we get any news this year, it would likely be an official date and title.

Next at comic con or D23 would be when to expect casting announcements.

Ugh. Looks like another year of waiting and hoping for news :wall:

well at least the hardest part is over - waiting for the rights to revert back to Marvel was 100000x worse than waiting for casting news etc

well at least the hardest part is over - waiting for the rights to revert back to Marvel was 100000x worse than waiting for casting news etc

:up: Yeah, I’ve been waiting 50 years, I can wait a little longer.

And the 2023 release never felt real to me, so I didn’t seriously believe we’d have a film in another year and a half.

I believe FF (along with X-Men) will reinvigorate Marvel, get them past this phase of dabbling with B, C and D-Listers and bring back the kind of excitement we had when they were introducing Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.

I think there’s a certain amount of hubris in films like Eternals and Shang Chi - “We don’t need to give people characters they know and want to see who have withstood the test of time over 60 years of comic book popularity. We’ll just slap a Marvel label on them and make them the next new thing.”

And if they understand how they need to use the FF and X-men to reinvigorate the universe, they should take their time, have a plan and do it right.

yes even Daredevil or Ghost Rider would be great if they dropped them sooner
I wonder if all the ips that appeared under the old Marvel Television:
-Deathlok
-Mockingbird
-Daredevil
-Ghost Rider
-Jessica Jones
-Luke Cage
-Iron Fist
-Punisher
-Elektra
-Runaways
-Inhumans
-Cloak & Dagger
-Squirrel Girl (counting the unaired pilot)
-Helstrom
would be introduced in the MCU movies or D+ shows, rebooted or not.

:up: Yeah, I’ve been waiting 50 years, I can wait a little longer.

And the 2023 release never felt real to me, so I didn’t seriously believe we’d have a film in another year and a half.

I believe FF (along with X-Men) will reinvigorate Marvel, get them past this phase of dabbling with B, C and D-Listers and bring back the kind of excitement we had when they were introducing Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.

I think there’s a certain amount of hubris in films like Eternals and Shang Chi - “We don’t need to give people characters they know and want to see who have withstood the test of time over 60 years of comic book popularity. We’ll just slap a Marvel label on them and make them the next new thing.”

And if they understand how they need to use the FF and X-men to reinvigorate the universe, they should take their time, have a plan and do it right.

Spider-Man No Way Home will be a return to form for Marvel. Moon Knight might be a revelation not seen since Netflix Daredevil Season 1. Could be even better than that. I am excited for these two properties almost as much as F4 and X Men

Grace Randolph said she expects to see Reed very soon.

I don't know, if Grace Randolph said the sun was going to rise in the east, I'd probably at least be tempted to get up before dawn so I could get confirmation. *cough*

Spider-Man No Way Home will be a return to form for Marvel. Moon Knight might be a revelation not seen since Netflix Daredevil Season 1. Could be even better than that. I am excited for these two properties almost as much as F4 and X Men
100% agree.

I’m looking forward to She-Hulk, but to be frank, that’s the only upcoming project other than FF that I’m really anticipating.

I’m almost certainly going to check out the sequels (GOTG, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Thor - with interest roughly in that order).

But none of those have me excited - though that could change with a good trailer/reviews and/or interesting news - such as a Doom, Silver Surfer, FF or mutant appearances).

Last edited:
I’ll almost certainly going to check out the sequels (GOTG, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Thor - with interest roughly in that order).

But none of those have me excited - though that could change with a good trailer/reviews and/or interesting news - such as a Doom, Silver Surfer, FF or mutant appearances).
I'm concerned that by the time they get around to releasing the FF, the superhero boom will be over, and the enthusiasm for the Marvel movies will have dropped off. Leaving the FF with another lackluster performance at the box office, and a future of shrinking budgets. Not just shrinking budgets for effects (which are obviously needed), but also for cast, directors, writers, etc.

I'm concerned that by the time they get around to releasing the FF, the superhero boom will be over, and the enthusiasm for the Marvel movies will have dropped off. Leaving the FF with another lackluster performance at the box office, and a future of shrinking budgets. Not just shrinking budgets for effects (which are obviously needed), but also for cast, directors, writers, etc.

I don’t feel that pessimistic, but I do feel like they’ve gotten off track lately and they need to bring it back to where they were.

And a big part of that is classic, iconic characters that people want to see like X-Men and FF.

I think when they start introducing those characters and hopefully give them the films they deserve, the energy will return and weak efforts like Falcon and Winter Soldier and Black Widow will be forgotten.

I’m looking forward to She-Hulk, but to be frank, that’s the only upcoming project other than FF that I’m really anticipating.

I’m almost certainly going to check out the sequels (GOTG, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Thor - with interest roughly in that order).

you are probably only interested because She Hulk was a member of F4.... XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"