Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Yeah, the previous Spidey films didn’t convince me Watts could do FF, but part of that is they were designed to be smaller films with a very different type of hero.

It’s not just that the film is being praised but the type of praise it is receiving as a bigger film than the others that still maintains the heart - and that’s exactly what I want for FF.
What do you think of this clip from NWH?

I like the idea of using Psycho Man..

I’m in the middle of watching the 90s show and it’s great! Very faithful

What do you think of this clip from NWH?

:up: Pretty cool, and the first time I’ve seen it.

When Watts was first announced, I went back and watched sections of the other two Spidey films with the sound off (so I could focus on some of the visual things he was doing without being distracted by the dialogue).

And I think Watts has some real talent.

He doesn’t hit you over the head with things, but he does do some interesting things.

And I think that’s the sign of a good director. You’re not really aware of what he’s doing because you’re caught up in the story, but the subtle things he’s doing are improving your enjoyment of the story without you realizing it.

I think that subtle competence is a huge contrast with Tim Story who felt he had to really hit the viewer over the head so they’d get it. As I watch the Story films I cringe with all the little things he overdoes that fall flat.

Like, as one quick example, when Reed’s working on the Silver Surfer detector, his head and feet are 20 feet apart. And not only do we see it, but Story lingers on a reaction shot of Ben to emphasize: “DID YOU SEE THAT. REED’S HEAD AND FEET WERE 20 FEET APART.”

Yeah, we get it Tim, he can stretch.

Yeah, the previous Spidey films didn’t convince me Watts could do FF, but part of that is they were designed to be smaller films with a very different type of hero.

It’s not just that the film is being praised but the type of praise it is receiving as a bigger film than the others that still maintains the heart - and that’s exactly what I want for FF.

I thought his direction was very John Hughes-esque which will add to the family centric vibe the FF needs to have. I also thought the Mysterio illusion sequence at the construction site shows that he can pull of fantastical Kirbyesque aesthetics if he needs to. Most of the MCU directors fit into the MCU cookie cutter cinematography/visual art direction, but as you mentioned Willie, Watts can do subtle things that set him apart from the rest.

I remember when they said that Homecoming is inspired by John Hughes movies... I'm big fan of his movies and besides some references I didn't feel anything that would remind me of Hughes.

What about Ki’rt/Super Skrull as the villain? Introduce him as Sue and Johnny’s father before revealing he’s a Skrull. They could easily set him up in Secret Invasion or Marvels.

Last edited:
What about Ki’rt/Super Skrull as the villain? Introduce him as Sue and Johnny’s father before revealing he’s a Skrull.
It's not bad, but it seems a bit like a retread. Captain Marvel already had the Skrulls, and made them the good guys. Johnny was essentially the Super Skrull in Rise of the Silver Surfer, so there's a feeling that "hey, we've seen this before".

None of the villains really seem right to me for a first movie. I kind of like Annihilus, but I wonder if the foreign landscape of the Negative Zone might put some people off. Maybe Mole Man isn't the worst choice after all. I really think Namor is perfect, but he'd be better saved for a second film.

Watts made three critically acclaimed, highly profitable Spider-Man movies in the span of like five years, with No Way Home being the best one going by the reviews (seeing it tonight), while being chock full of characters and plot points and serving the two-headed Marvel/Sony beast. I think he's going to kill it with Fantastic Four, especially if he actually pursued it.

I saw No Way Home yesterday and I think I can see why he was chosen to direct.

What I'm most interested in right now (besides the cast) is who are the writers?

Last edited:
How does this look better than the movie version? I have to say, as a Green Lantern fan… Silver Surfer is probably the coolest cosmic superhero of them all. I hope to see him soon.

You know what, screw it. I want to see Namor as the villain in the first movie. That's spoiled a bit because he's supposed to be in the Black Panther movie. But they could have one lead into the other if they want. Maybe set Namor up in BP2, and have him launch a full scale attack on the surface world in FF. Reed and Sue can be engaged, or close to it, but Namor still sparks up the sexual tension with Sue. Have Doom in the background as having negotiated a peace treaty to keep Latveria out of the line of fire. Maybe even whispering in Namor's ear to spur him on.

I think this works best. Namor and the Atlanteans provide an epic threat, and we haven't seen this before. At the end, Namor suffers sort of injury, and Reed designs a suit to save him. Resulting in an uneasy end of hostilities.

After seeing Spider-Man I wonder

Will we get Parker/Spider-Man appearance in F4 or a sequel. Parker can choose any school he wants as he is a genius. In the comics him and Johnny Storm go to school together and become close friends. We can still get Spider-Man in future team up movies now that the world forgot he is Parker.

What about Ki’rt/Super Skrull as the villain? Introduce him as Sue and Johnny’s father before revealing he’s a Skrull. They could easily set him up in Secret Invasion or Marvels.
It's not bad, but it seems a bit like a retread. Captain Marvel already had the Skrulls, and made them the good guys. Johnny was essentially the Super Skrull in Rise of the Silver Surfer, so there's a feeling that "hey, we've seen this before".

None of the villains really seem right to me for a first movie. I kind of like Annihilus, but I wonder if the foreign landscape of the Negative Zone might put some people off. Maybe Mole Man isn't the worst choice after all. I really think Namor is perfect, but he'd be better saved for a second film.
I would like to see Super Skrull as a persistent universe character rather than one and done main villain. Handling him like that might make him feel fresher too.

Ki’rt disguising himself as Johnny and Sue’s father is really creepy.
It has a lot of horror potential…Reminds me of Otis Driftwood wearing his victim’s father’s skin to taunt her: 6672EA06-47E2-4175-9808-56EBF98ED00F.jpeg

After No Way Home, I do wonder if Marvel plans to use Julian McMahon or Tobey Kebbell as Doom from the multiverse instead going with their own MCU Doom.

You know what, screw it. I want to see Namor as the villain in the first movie. That's spoiled a bit because he's supposed to be in the Black Panther movie. But they could have one lead into the other if they want. Maybe set Namor up in BP2, and have him launch a full scale attack on the surface world in FF. Reed and Sue can be engaged, or close to it, but Namor still sparks up the sexual tension with Sue. Have Doom in the background as having negotiated a peace treaty to keep Latveria out of the line of fire. Maybe even whispering in Namor's ear to spur him on.

I think this works best. Namor and the Atlanteans provide an epic threat, and we haven't seen this before. At the end, Namor suffers sort of injury, and Reed designs a suit to save him. Resulting in an uneasy end of hostilities.

I don't know how I'd use Namor, but I'd sure as heck LOVE to see him. There are SO many cool villains it's ridiculous, but Doom definitely needs to be the next Thanos. I'd also love to see a Secret Wars maybe 7-10 years down the line, but I'd like the storyline improved.

After No Way Home, I do wonder if Marvel plans to use Julian McMahon or Tobey Kebbell as Doom from the multiverse instead going with their own MCU Doom.
I’d say there’s very little chance of that happening. The multiverse allows them to pick and choose the most popular portrayals, and both those Dooms were met with a tepid to negative response.

I’d say there’s very little chance of that happening. The multiverse allows them to pick and choose the most popular portrayals, and both those Dooms were met with a tepid to negative response.
But Marvel still reused Jaime Foxx’s Electro again, despite his last portrayal as Electro before NWH receiving a similarly tepid to negative response. Marvel can bring these actors and redeem them with better material and a better interpretation than what the played previously. Julian was good casting, who was a dead ringer for Kirby’s Mask-less Victor Von Doom. I thought he was pretty good for what he was asked to play and wouldn’t mind seeing him return for the MCU take. Same for Kebbell.

But Marvel still reused Jaime Foxx’s Electro again, despite his last portrayal as Electro before NWH receiving a similarly tepid to negative response. Marvel can bring these actors and redeem them with better material and a better interpretation than what the played previously. Julian was good casting, who was a dead ringer for Kirby’s Mask-less Victor Von Doom. I thought he was pretty good for what he was asked to play and wouldn’t mind seeing him return for the MCU take. Same for Kebbell.

Imagine if, throughout Rise of The Silver Surfer, they had Doom wearing the armor he had in the end.

It wouldn’t have been perfect, but it would have been a LOT better. Particularly with the glimpse of Latveria we got at the beginning.

Imagine if, throughout Rise of The Silver Surfer, they had Doom wearing the armor he had in the end.

It wouldn’t have been perfect, but it would have been a LOT better. Particularly with the glimpse of Latveria we got at the beginning.
Yeah, that would’ve been cool. When I think about it neither McMahon and Kebbell were bad choices for the role. The were just ill-serviced by bad movies and poor material.

That would have been cool. I liked both of those F4 movies. The only miscast was Sue Storm IMO. Everyone else was pretty great. McMahon wasn’t even bad as Doom, it was the characterization that was the problem. I know you didn’t suggest he return, But I don’t think he has it in him to turn in a truly great performance as Doom. I think they 100% need to recast and start from scratch. Doom deserves to be depicted as the no1 Marvel villain.

What’s the general consensus on the 94 F4 animated show? I just finished it and absolutely loved it. The first three episodes are horrible and then it becomes amazing. The origin for Doom and the Silver Surfer episodes are honestly pretty perfect imo.

I remember the ending of the first FF movie, with Doom on a ship to Latveria. That filled me with hope, I thought we were going somewhere then, and we were going to see the "real" Doom. Obviously I was over-optimistic.

That would have been cool. I liked both of those F4 movies. The only miscast was Sue Storm IMO.
Everyone bags on Jessica Alba, but I didn't care for Ioan Gruffudd's Reed. I'm not saying it's all on him necessarily, I just never got the feeling he was this super smart super genius. Sure he invented machines, but it just never came across somehow.

FG_Vd4rUcAIsUjp

Since Strange 2 is a multiverse movie, which Reed is she referring to? The Miles Teller Reed or the Ioan Gruffoad one?

If anyone isn’t familiar with this person, just know she’s a reliable Reddit scooper that has been backed by ViewerAnon. Her track record of accuracy is quite high and she’s gotten many things right. So I say this has a very high chance of this being correct. Looks like Strange reshoots in December added more characters to the fold, which includes the elastic genius himself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"