Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love your optimism but the problem (for me at least) with going forward with a sequel and hoping it will be epic as we know it can be is that the characterization is so poorly done. There is no base to build on.

To do the Sinestro Corp Wars for the sequel would be a mistake because having him and Hal fight would be similar to two random dudes you don't know wrestling each other. We need to see the Sinestro and Hal bond during the sequel and Sinestro fall from his perch as leader of the Corps.

So in a third film when they duke it out it will have greater impact because of how they got there. A second film has to have Hal form relationships with the rest of the Lanterns so we care what happens to them.

This is all speculation since its not looking likely at this point we'll get a sequel.

Well, I agree to an extent. I don't think the characterization was all that far off though. Reynolds seemed like Hal Jordan in his early days to me, it's a matter of the sequel making Hal more serious and more driven to be all the Green Lantern he can be and less of the smart ass. And that guy can play characters who are not his usual rom-com or Van Wilder sorts of characters. Heck, I thought that was subdued in his portrayal of Deadpool and it probably shouldn't have been there.

The Sinestro Corps War should not come in GL2. I think GL2 should be more akin to Emerald Dawn II. Though, I'd rather it come to blows between Hal and Sinestro in GL2, just not right off the bat. I'd like to see that buddy cop stuff. Sinestro's just got his fascist ideal going on Korugar unbeknowst to both Hal, the Corps and the Guardians. As Sinestrol gets to know Hal, gets to see how strong willed this guy is and how driven he's become to get the job done he eventually decides to show Hal what he's been doing on Korugar in hopes that Hal will be in awe and want to do things his way. You know, like Sinestro has always been. But Hal finds it offensive and disgusting. Plus, Sinestro's been experimenting with the yellow ring on Korugar too.

Hal calls in the Corps, they overthrown Sinestro from Korugar and he gets his ring taken and exiled perhaps into the Lost Sector or something. Perhaps Sinestro's use of the yellow ring somehow summons the Parallax entity, not the Krona hybrid clown thingie, from the Earth's Sun or whatever and it agrees to help Sinestro establish the order he wishes as well as put the smack down on the Guardians and the Corps and at the end of GL2 they start forging yellow rings and sending them out to beings who can instill great fear. Perhaps with the overthrown of Sinestro they take the opportunity to establish Soranik Natu as GL of 1412 as well. Maybe the best way to bring that sort of full circle and to kick off the Sinestro Corps War tease would be to show Amon Sur, Abin Sur's son, getting a yellow ring at the tail end of the film. "Amon Sur, you have the ability to instill great fear. Welcome to the Sinestro Corps."

And because Sinestro has an extra special beef with Jordan, perhaps that necessitates the calling of extra Lanterns for 2814 and we end up with Stewart, Gardner or Rayner. That's probably stretching it though. Of course, that could not only set them up to be involved in GL3: The Sinestro Corps War... but to also make a GL4 starring one of them.

I'm not sure I want to ever see them get into Blackest Night territory, because that's a doozie of a yarn and I'm not sure how that would ultimately go over with the GA. We are talking about a superhero space cop space opera that suddenly goes zombie. That might be just too crazy. But I could see them doing something with the Red Lanterns or the Star Sapphires that could be worthwhile. But obviously the ultimate is to get the Sinestro Corps War on screen. And also Mogo. Must have Mogo.

Last edited:
And because Sinestro has an extra special beef with Jordan, perhaps that necessitates the calling of extra Lanterns for 2814 and we end up with Stewart, Gardner or Rayner. That's probably stretching it though. Of course, that could not only set them up to be involved in GL3: The Sinestro Corps War... but to also make a GL4 starring one of them.

First of all I like Ryan Reynolds and I know he can play the serious guy. Saw him in Buried and he was fantastic.

Your scope is a little ambitious but would've been fun to see. I don't think Stewart, Rayner, or Gardner should be introduced to fight alongside Jordan because they would come out of nowhere and seem somewhat horned in. I would love it if one of them were selected to replace Jordan for some reason at the end though.

^Unfortunately, I'm not real familiar with how or why it was the Stewart ended up being the backup for Hal. I mean, what pulled Hal away from his duties that the Corps called up John Stewart as the alternate? Gardner as I understand it was second only to Hal when Abin Sur's ring sought his replacement... I just am not overly fond of that character, though he's been more tolerable in the last few years than he ever was before. So I'm just not sure how they would contrive of Hal stepping down... especially since I'm not sure I want to see that in any conclusion to a superhero movie. "Oh, I'm quitting. Pass the ring on."

^Unfortunately, I'm not real familiar with how or why it was the Stewart ended up being the backup for Hal. I mean, what pulled Hal away from his duties that the Corps called up John Stewart as the alternate? Gardner as I understand it was second only to Hal when Abin Sur's ring sought his replacement... I just am not overly fond of that character, though he's been more tolerable in the last few years than he ever was before. So I'm just not sure how they would contrive of Hal stepping down... especially since I'm not sure I want to see that in any conclusion to a superhero movie. "Oh, I'm quitting. Pass the ring on."

Well I'm not completely sure either but for arguments sake I'm coming from the point of this being a trilogy as WB wanted. I'm not saying that Hal Jordan quits but that something happens to him that causes him to give up the ring. He does something super heroic to try and defeat Sinestro or something. He has to return to a human life and go back to Carol but we know his time as a GL has changed him; love for the story of him to end like that.

The ring finding Stewart or Rayner is just to indicate that the Green Lantern story continues on. It could even be an after-credits thing or something.

So long as the ring talks. I hated the whole morse code thing. The ring will just flash at him to let him know there's trouble? Bah. The moment that ball o green came and snatched Hal up it should have said "Hal Jordan of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear. You have been chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814."

Do you think Hal should have called the ring, "my precious"

<cue sports arena organ>

Fear, Fear, Fear , Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear , Fear,

<da-na-na-DAH..da-NAAAHHHH>

FEEEEARRRR...!!!!

Well I'm not completely sure either but for arguments sake I'm coming from the point of this being a trilogy as WB wanted. I'm not saying that Hal Jordan quits but that something happens to him that causes him to give up the ring. He does something super heroic to try and defeat Sinestro or something. He has to return to a human life and go back to Carol but we know his time as a GL has changed him; love for the story of him to end like that.

The ring finding Stewart or Rayner is just to indicate that the Green Lantern story continues on. It could even be an after-credits thing or something.

You know, I was reading up earlier on why John Stewart became Jordan's permanent replacement as GL of 2814 around 1984... it was because Hal retired from the Corps to be with Carol. So there ya go.

You know, I was reading up earlier on why John Stewart became Jordan's permanent replacement as GL of 2814 around 1984... it was because Hal retired from the Corps to be with Carol. So there ya go.

LOL, is that really true?

I was just hoping that would happen in the movie. It would be so great for Hal Jordan to end his story stopping Sinestro then return to Carol. Maturing into the person Carol always knew he could be by serving the GLC. Thanks for telling me.

I watched it online lastnight. I liked it but like others on here I thought it could have been better. It just seem to be missing something.

I thought it was a good movie but it just seem that the editing was bad. It seem to be missing something, Like the whole middle of the movie.

It was good but it could have been better.

I watched it online lastnight. I liked it but like others on here I thought it could have been better. It just seem to be missing something.

I thought it was a good movie but it just seem that the editing was bad. It seem to be missing something, Like the whole middle of the movie.

Shame on you! :wow:

;)

See, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this movie. None of which changed my enjoyment of it while I was in the theater seat.

Unfortunately there some trollish haters of the film that don't seem to get that. Their only interest is in slagging on the movie because it makes them feel like "big people" in some sad fashion.

<cue sports arena organ>

Fear, Fear, Fear , Fear, Fear, Fear, Fear , Fear,

<da-na-na-DAH..da-NAAAHHHH>

FEEEEARRRR...!!!!

Great, that's all I'm gonna hear watching baseball now. Jerk

Poni_Boy Pietro Filipponi
FYI: Heard last night the magic box office number WB wants for Green Lantern is $325 mil worldwide to green light a sequel

Isn't Poni_Boy Pietro Filipponi on Twitter and Poni_Boy here at on the forums the same person?

Yessir. What gave it away?

The obvious, but really I was asking a rhetorical question. :p

I was surprised you didn't mention that piece of news before. Or maybe you did and I missed it.

The obvious, but really I was asking a rhetorical question. :p

I was surprised you didn't mention that piece of news before. Or maybe you did and I missed it.

I did, but in the BO Thread. Figured that's where it belonged.

Hmmm, maybe I should have used lowercase P & B for my handle here. Would have totally thrown you off

Well, looks like the movie's box office suffered an even bigger drop than people thought over the course of the week. So a sequel appears pretty much impossible at this point.

Shame for those of us that liked it, and I guess for those that didn't, that's welcome news. Oh, well. Hope Cap fares better.

Something tells me that justice league movie is back on the table in a big way with the release and results of this movie.

Well, looks like the movie's box office suffered an even bigger drop than people thought over the course of the week. So a sequel appears pretty much impossible at this point.

Shame for those of us that liked it, and I guess for those that didn't, that's welcome news. Oh, well. Hope Cap fares better.
I think Cap has a smaller budget then GL.
That should help things a bit.

I thought the first half was...acceptable. It kind of reminded me of TIH. Watchable, not great. But the second half was really choppy, like you said, as if they'd cut out a chunk of the movie. It was also pretty dull outside of the action scenes.

I think Cap has a smaller budget then GL.
That should help things a bit.

There's no "thinking" necessary LOL. Thor's budget was $150 million, so there's no way Cap's is bigger and approaching GL levels. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cap's production budget at $130 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"