Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmc,

Yeah, they did use Potter as a crutch for too long but why go out a pay for other properties when you have a stable full of them with the DC characters?

Now, having said that, WB did take a chance of the first Matrix and Inception so original properties aren't dead yet. It just takes the right one...but you never know with audiences these days. It's just tricky to see how people will respond to something.

I mean, First Class got stellar reviews and it's only at 124 million. A few years ago, with those kind of reviews, First Class would've been at 200 million by now.

Or it's low gross could be contributed to the fact that this summer is just too packed. There's no breathing room for any film to have a life outside of the first weekend.

I think that's where Thor and the notion of being the absolute first one out of gates really has merit.

Guys, this summer there's too much competition. The projections for the Cars2 opening week-end are lower that the sum GL made.
Anyway Robinov said publicly that the Batman Begins numbers (370 ww) would be enough for WB to greenlight a sequel.

If it's true, that would be good for reeves(who is from Abrams camp). Though it would kinda cement him as a sloppy seconds kinda guy. Duncan jones would also be a good choice.

I just don't get why a series known to be about space cops, had no mention of anything of the sort. First Flight was Training day in space and it was awesome for it.

It is a comic book movie article folks, the journalistic credibility of which lies somewhere between TMZ and that fake movie critic Sony scammed up a few years back.

Ha! Don't bother. I just got a trolling infraction from The Sage for posting the source link to that article. Let lemmings be lemmings

I guess it's ok to post the contents of a misleading article that will start discussion, as long as you don't source it :awesome:

the news about WB is fake. if someone says on june 23 that WB expects 400 millions then its fake.

Really, do you think they won't make a sequel when they have OA, the costumes and the whole Green Lantern corp in their digital libraries ready to be used again at (close to) no cost?
have you noticed how sequels have new locations and new enviorments?

even when sequels have the same story and plot they at least have new locations. its not like the created the whole Oa planet.

Ha! Don't bother. I just got a trolling infraction from The Sage for posting the source link to that article. Let lemmings be lemmings

I guess it's ok to post the contents of a misleading article that will start discussion, as long as you don't source it :awesome:

That's a common occurrence. Articles get posted and discussed without a source referenced sometimes, whether they're true or not.

Hmmm...i don't believe the article, but if it's true, then it's bad news.Even if James Cameron himself decided to direct the sequel, it will still bomb becuase the first one has poisoned the well.

And it will be bad for the CB movies in general.

green lantern: Rise of fear?

If true, i'd suggest dropping the "rise of fear." time will tell how this all works out. Wb/dce would have to work hard to try and get the general audience excited for a sequel.

fear, fear, fear, fear, fear...!!!

Or it's low gross could be contributed to the fact that this summer is just too packed. There's no breathing room for any film to have a life outside of the first weekend.

I think that's where Thor and the notion of being the absolute first one out of gates really has merit.

I think that's it. Too many films out with not enough breathing room.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful that the article is true. I really want a sequel to GL.

You do know that it still hasn't open in several big markets, right?

What big markets? Last I heard Brazil and India were the only major Box Office countries left. The rest are all minor markets and won't make an impact in the grand scheme of things.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful that the article is true. I really want a sequel to GL.

It's not true; at all. It's a completely fabricated article from a site that is not allowed to be linked to here.

^ You're a little biased to talk...

Also, markets yet to receive the movie include Brazil, Spain, Sweden, Australia, Finland, France, Portugal, Colombia, Italy...

The notion that this is still going to make 400M WW should have tipped you guys off if the fact that it's a comicbookmovie article didn't.

Indeed, it will be luckyif itcan reach 300M...

Also, markets yet to receive the movie include Brazil, Spain, Sweden, Australia, Finland, France, Portugal, Colombia, Italy...

Biased because I know more about the film than you or any of the kids from CBM? That's not bias, that's just truth. If you can't differentiate news from fanboy delusions that's not my problem

Even with the inclusion of the others (Brazil and India are the top two grossers for movies of this genre) it's not going to break $300 mil WW. GL will be out of domestic theaters in August by the time it's released in those countries, most of which will get it the same weekend as either HP7 or Cap.

And don't forget that it's already being pirated online

Right now I'm having doubts about GL even reaching 275 WW. TIH made about 264 mil WW, GL is tracking and performing worse and is about to face overwhelming competition. On top of that it will soon lose its 3d screens.

Plain and simple..WB dropped the ball on what could have been an epic adventure

You got a trolling infraction because you're a *****e of epic proportions, and have been so throughout the entire discussion related to Green Lantern.

To the rest of the posters:

Most likely they've got enough in the bag for the CGI to make a sequel plausible and perhaps with budgetary costs being a big concern as they obviously were for this film in the first place, they will be more so with a sequel. I don't think they can move the bar lower by going for practical costuming for the GLC, but they can certainly work on more practical sets for anything in space and perhaps the realization of some alien creatures.

Would it be viewed by audiences, do you think, as a step backwards to do some practical animatronics for Kilowog and Tomar-Re? At the least with head shots and what not?

It seems to me that CGI has been both a boon and a bane to the film-making industry. I feel like one of the problems with Star Wars is the over reliance on CGI, which robs it of so much heart and soul. You've got legions of CGI clone troopers and no practical costumes which hurts it IMO. Plus nearly all the sets by the time of ROTS were green screens. Not many ships were modeled, they were just generated in a computer.

And this is probably the biggest problem with Green Lantern, because I suspect there was a good deal of stuff cut either in pre-production or later because of the necessity of investing so much money into the CGI that they just couldn't do it and if those things were there it may have at least mollified some of the issues people had with the film. More scenes with other Lanterns, thus developing more of that aspect of the film and perhaps stuff was cut from Hammond. I don't know, just speculating. But the heavy reliance on creating nearly every special effect with CGI and very intensive CGI at that necessitated an Avatar budget that WB wasn't willing to do on an unproven franchise. Mixing more practical effects in just might help them keep the budget down in the CGI department and there's little they would need to do that was groundbreaking in order to make that happen.

Heck, make the Guardians a mixture of the old muppet Yoda and CGI instead of going with them as complete cartoons.

I think there are ways to make it work, improve upon the base they have there now, and sell it in such a way as to redeem the film with critics and audiences so that it does make a huge impact. Green Lantern can be a game changer in superhero movie-making and story telling. They just have to find the will power to do it and do it really right this time.

It has landed with a dud in the international markets it's already opened in, why do you think it will be any different a month or two from now in other markets?

You got a trolling infraction because you're a *****e of epic proportions, and have been so throughout the entire discussion related to Green Lantern.

Wrong. For posting a link to a comicbookmovie.com article

No need to be a ******** child because your Precious was disliked by so many people around the world

it has landed with a dud in the international markets it's already opened in, why do you think it will be any different a month or two from now in other markets?

stop using facts! Opinions are science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"