Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he wasn't bland because he was a whiner who has superpower? That's the sign of a great, compelling character right there.

Compared to superheroes in other comic book movies? I will have to say yes. Doe's it hurt when someone sees something good in the GL movie when you don't? Something that you don't see?

Honestly, what is the deal with the lack of DVD/Blu Ray announcement?

The film is dead in the water. Almost every film from this summer has some sort of home video announcement except this one.

I know of the UK specs but I'm not trusting it just yet because it's been the only one. I'm just really surprised WB hasn't announced anything, this late in the game...

Honestly, what is the deal with the lack of DVD/Blu Ray announcement?

The film is dead in the water. Almost every film from this summer has some sort of home video announcement except this one.

I know of the UK specs but I'm not trusting it just yet because it's been the only one. I'm just really surprised WB hasn't announced anything, this late in the game...

Maybe it'll cost more to produce and distribute the BluRay than what it'll make in sales? There was report here somewhere that someone got caught with a bootleg DVD, but they got caught trying to return it.

Compared to superheroes in other comic book movies? I will have to say yes. Doe's it hurt when someone sees something good in the GL movie when you don't? Something that you don't see?

Hurt? No. Baffles the mind? Yes.

I mean seriously, how is the Hal Jordan of the movie compelling or interesting in any way? He's just an irresponsible *****e bag who has one night stands with hot chicks and drives a muscle car like an *******. He doesn't even have a proper character arc. He goes from A (irresponsible *****e bag)-C (greatest Green Lantern ever who can kill a being that supposedly destroys entire star systems and has immortal Guardians of the Universe crapping themselves after one 10 minute training session and a pep talk from his cardboard cut out ex girlfriend). The B part is completely missing.

And the "angst" is just laughable. That flashback scene was like a spoof of Top Gun.

Problem with movie Hal is that they tried too hard to make him this really cool guy. He gets the chicks, he drives some bad ass muscle car, he's always got a quip handy. How can anyone who isn't really shallow connect with a guy like that? He's not even a real character. He's some "super cool bad ass dude" cliche.

Compare him with the other superheroes this summer. Thor and Cap.

Thor started off as an arrogant, blood thirsty *****e bag. But he was kinda charming and naive with it. Like a kid. He's likeable with his *****iness, you can root for him.

Steve Rogers? Well he's just an awesome guy. A skinny little runt who just really wants to fight alongside the other young men of his country. He thinks that he shouldn't get a free pass whilst other guys are off dying in war. He has the most noble heart ever. You gotta root for him, how can you not?

Then Hal Jordan. He's just a *****e bag, basically. With no redeemable features. He's got a great job. He gets the girls. An awesome car. But he's still a whinger. People don't like people like that. People who have it all... but still ****ing moan.

Well, I guess you could sympathise with him because of the thing with his dad... if that scene was done well. But it wasn't. It was laughable.

Last edited:
Unless it's more than 15-30 minutes it's not a Director's Cut. I'm sick of that label on Blu-ray/DVD's when it's nothing more than extended footage between 1 to 5 minutes.

Unless it's more than 15-30 minutes it's not a Director's Cut. I'm sick of that label on Blu-ray/DVD's when it's nothing more than extended footage between 1 to 5 minutes.

The Extended Cut will be 14 minutes longer.

Good news, Green Lantern is coming out on dvd on October 14. Not on October whatever it was. :woot:

"Green Lantern" will be available on Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, featuring a 3D hi-definition, a hi-definition, a standard definition and a digital copy of the theatrical film, for $40.99, Blu-ray Combo Pack, featuring a hi-definition, a standard definition and a digital copy of the theatrical film, for $35.99 and on single disc DVD for $28.98. The extended cut will be in hi-definition on the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and Blu-ray Combo Pack only.

On October 14th, “Green Lantern” extended cut can be purchased for permanent download and the theatrical film can be rented on iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, and Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game consoles.

It will also be available to rent via kiosks and subscription on November 8

BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack:

Theatrical Film (3D & 2D)
Extended Cut (2D only)
Maximum Movie Mode with Picture in Picture Pods
The Universe According to Green Lantern
Ryan Reynolds Becomes Green Lantern
Justice League #1 Digital Comic
Additional Scenes
Preview of Green Lantern: The Animated Series
BD-Live

Blu-ray Combo Pack:
Extended Cut*
Theatrical Film
Additional Scenes
BD-Live

DVD:
Preview of the Justice League #1 Digital Comic

*Extended Cut included only on 2D Blu-ray Disc

Sweet! I'll be picking up the Blu without the 3D. (BTW I didn't even know there was going to be a "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" :p)

Good news, Green Lantern is coming out on dvd on October 14. Not on October whatever it was. :woot:

"Green Lantern" will be available on Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, featuring a 3D hi-definition, a hi-definition, a standard definition and a digital copy of the theatrical film, for $40.99, Blu-ray Combo Pack, featuring a hi-definition, a standard definition and a digital copy of the theatrical film, for $35.99 and on single disc DVD for $28.98. The extended cut will be in hi-definition on the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and Blu-ray Combo Pack only.

On October 14th, “Green Lantern” extended cut can be purchased for permanent download and the theatrical film can be rented on iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, and Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game consoles.

It will also be available to rent via kiosks and subscription on November 8

BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack:

Theatrical Film (3D & 2D)
Extended Cut (2D only)
Additional Scenes
BD-Live

Blu-ray Combo Pack:
Extended Cut*
Theatrical Film
Additional Scenes
BD-Live

DVD:
Preview of the Justice League #1 Digital Comic

*Extended Cut included only on 2D Blu-ray Disc

This actually sounds a decent package, and the additional scene's and extended cut intrigue me, I will probably buy it.

Are director's cuts not allowed to be any less than 15-min longer than the theatrical or something? The director's cut of Blade Runner is less than a minute longer than the theatrical one, as I recall.

I mean seriously, how is the Hal Jordan of the movie compelling or interesting in any way? He's just an irresponsible *****e bag who has one night stands with hot chicks and drives a muscle car like an *******. He doesn't even have a proper character arc. He goes from A (irresponsible *****e bag)-C (greatest Green Lantern ever who can kill a being that supposedly destroys entire star systems and has immortal Guardians of the Universe crapping themselves after one 10 minute training session and a pep talk from his cardboard cut out ex girlfriend). The B part is completely missing.

And the "angst" is just laughable. That flashback scene was like a spoof of Top Gun.

Problem with movie Hal is that they tried too hard to make him this really cool guy. He gets the chicks, he drives some bad ass muscle car, he's always got a quip handy. How can anyone who isn't really shallow connect with a guy like that? He's not even a real character. He's some "super cool bad ass dude" cliche.

Thor started off as an arrogant, blood thirsty *****e bag. But he was kinda charming and naive with it. Like a kid. He's likeable with his *****iness, you can root for him.

Steve Rogers? Well he's just an awesome guy. A skinny little runt who just really wants to fight alongside the other young men of his country. He thinks that he shouldn't get a free pass whilst other guys are off dying in war. He has the most noble heart ever. You gotta root for him, how can you not?

Then Hal Jordan. He's just a *****e bag, basically. With no redeemable features. He's got a great job. He gets the girls. An awesome car. But he's still a whinger. People don't like people like that. People who have it all... but still ****ing moan.

Well, I guess you could sympathise with him because of the thing with his dad... if that scene was done well. But it wasn't. It was laughable.

Great post! You summed up perfectly what made the movie version of Hal Jordan so dull as a character. Especially the bit about having it all and then *****ing and moaning about it. That was illustrated even more vividly when he actually got the ring, was gifted with this incredible power...and then quit after the 10-minute training session and went back to his apartment to mope. Heroic!

It didn't help that, along with a hero who was a cliche of some jock/*****e/"cool guy", you had a villain that was an angry nerd who fumed against the fact that he couldn't get any girls, while explicitly envying a handsome *****ebag like Hal who could. Rather than giving us a hero the audience could root for (like Thor) and/or that they could see themselves in (like Cap), Green Lantern seemed actively hostile to its most devoted audience, almost like it was mocking the core fans. I've said this stuff before and somebody remarked that the movie did seem "mean-spirited". Couldn't have said it better myself.

Amen, man. Amen :applaud

Agree 100% with Morningstar, that summarizes exactly how I feel, I just hadn't put it into words that well.

Reynolds himself kept saying Hal was pretty much Han Solo, and that's what I was expecting. It didn't help that he had any incredibly lame villain. Apart from Sinestro, everything was just... meh. It's all just forgettable, especially in comparison to Thor and Cap.

Last edited:
@ The Morningstar, it was just my opinion. I mean Hal in the movie barely knew Sinestro once they first met. He allowed this one guy (Sinestro) to talk him into quitting in a not too obvious way, a guy that he actually didn't give a damn about. Quit complaining. :whatever:

I kind of like it that the movie has pissed some Green Lantern fans off.

Last edited:
Why are you telling to quit complaining? He's voicing his criticisms.

@ The Morningstar, it was just my opinion. I mean Hal in the movie barely knew Sinestro once they first met. He allowed this one guy (Sinestro) to talk him into quitting in a not too obvious way, a guy that he actually didn't give a damn about. Quit complaining. :whatever:

I kind of like it that the movie has pissed some Green Lantern fans off.

You like it that a lot of people didn't like it? :confused:

Why are you telling to quit complaining? He's voicing his criticisms.

The way I see it is like this...whenever I see him discussing the movie all I EVER hear from him is negativity. That is my beef with him. Who loves it when someone complains non stop about a certain something? Criticism here and there is fine. If you're down with people complaining about something 100% of the time then more power to you. And no, I have no desire for a total love and blind fest when it comes to the people on this website talking about the Green Lantern movie.

Last edited:
The way I see it is like this...whenever I see him discussing the movie all I EVER hear from him is negativity. That is my beef with him.

Because he didn't like it. Green Lantern's still my favorite movie this year, I don't give a **** if he speaks negatively about it, why do you? His thoughts are just as valid as yours, mine, and everyone else's.

Because he didn't like it. Green Lantern's still my favorite movie this year, I don't give a **** if he speaks negatively about it, why do you? His thoughts are just as valid as yours, mine, and everyone else's.

I only care because it has become EXTREMELY obnoxious in my world when he is sharing criticism towards the movie. Now if he was really subtle about it? I would let it slide.

Last edited:
Would anyone like to bet nothing that we won't find out what the additional 14 minutes are before the movie is released on dvd and Blu-Ray?

Last edited:
I only care because it has become EXTREMELY obnoxious in my world when he is sharing criticism towards the movie. Now if he was really subtle about it? I would let it slide.

He is allowed to voice his opinion on the film, just like any person who liked it. I'm sorry if this offends you, but welcome to a message board that welcomes ALL opinions. You don't see me telling everyone with a negative comment about Captain America to leave that forum, do you? No, because they're welcome there, too!

He is allowed to voice his opinion on the film, just like any person who liked it. I'm sorry if this offends you, but welcome to a message board that welcomes ALL opinions. You don't see me telling everyone with a negative comment about Captain America to leave that forum, do you? No, because they're welcome there, too!

LOL, a board that welcomes all opinions? LOL!!!! Hence why we got rules and hence why people cry foul when someone states something that they don't like. And hence why people get banned for saying certain things. :awesome:

You made my day already, thanks.

Last edited:
LOL, a board that welcomes all opinions? LOL!!!! Hence why we got rules and hence why people cry foul when someone states something that they don't like. :awesome:

There is a difference between debate and trolling. People who dislike a film are not trolls. People who LIKE the film can be trolls. It works both ways. You're labeling him a troll just for having a contradictory opinion, and I am sorry...that is not how it works.

Nice edit there :whatever:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"