Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, cuz you couldn't tell those guys were cg at all.:whatever:

Actually, a lot of people honestly believed that Davy Jones was done with practical effects. Can you honestly blame them?

fb022d26d09dd852.jpg

kilowog looks unfinished even though he is

Actually, a lot of people honestly believed that Davy Jones was done with practical effects. Can you honestly blame them?
Yeah, it's easy to see the great disparity between a CG creation like Davey, and Killowog. Granted, ILM had an advantage because they were "painting" over an actual performance, but that was the smart way to do it. In spite of never seeing the actor, his spirit and soul is ingrained to the CG character because a major part of the process involves their participation.

Seems to me like Duncan (or Rush for that matter) merely did voice-over work. Which leaves much of the superficial layering up to the animators. IMW isn't even that good in the first place. To go for an inferior method of bringing CG creations to life just makes it stand out more.

I don't know how anyone can even look at that clip and see it as a sufficient representation of what we can do in 2011. Those facial animations belong in a Dreamworks/Pixar movie.

This was a sweet clip and a nice tease! We finally get to see some of the big poozer in action.

http://www.blogofoa.com/2011/05/michael-clarke-duncan-goes-on-g4-with.html

Wow. Some of you are really saying that you couldn't tell Gollum or Davy Jones were CGI compared to Kilowog?

Kilowog looks bad ass and MCD was a great choice to voice him. Get over it already. The visuals from that clip look just fine to me. Are some of you just judging it from a grainy you tube clip or something? :doh:

I like of the general effects, the construcys, the suits, but have something in Kilowog expressions what i I could not really like. But the effects of him are very well construct, especially the texture of the skin. Well, convinced me, looks good after all

I believe its just a 1st bad impression.Kilowog scenes with some expression in the trailer and spots are fine to me.

Last edited:
Kilowog looks bad ass and MCD was a great choice to voice him. Get over it already. The visuals from that clip look just fine to me. Are some of you just judging it from a grainy you tube clip or something? :doh:
Was the video stuttering? Movements were fine. Extra resolution isn't going to fix how the animation looks. It's great that you like it, but to me I can instantly tell it's much worse than what we've had before.

Rewatching the video, he have good expressions. Look a little over the top, but Kilowog is convincent and his voice is awesome!

Was the video stuttering? Movements were fine. Extra resolution isn't going to fix how the animation looks. It's great that you like it, but to me I can instantly tell it's much worse than what we've had before.

Mush worse than what? You haven't seen the whole film yet. That clip looked just fine to me.

Meh, they can't please every nitpicker.

But I don't think people are being nitpicky about it.

I think Oa, and the suits look good but or always been iffy on the aliens.

Yeah. You can't tell CGI was used for Davy and for Gollum. Sure.....:doh:

Youre only saying that after the fact.

Davy jones was groundbreaking stuff. When I first saw him I thought it was makeup.

I'm not sure why people have to be so absolute when it comes to cgi. Sometimes its good sometimes it's not. It's all about execution.

Mush worse than what? You haven't seen the whole film yet. That clip looked just fine to me.

Meh, they can't please every nitpicker.
If I were a lesser person right about now I'd remark on how easy you are to please. Fortunately I'm in a pleasant mood and can only point out that the effects on the CG creatures are just not up to par with what I perceive to be the best the biz has to offer. It's not a matter of nitpicking, it's stating it as it is.

I've been defending the VFX work for the most part. In particular, the way they handled the suits. But when it comes to animations and character renders, that's where I can't place my vote.

If it's sufficient for your tastes then so be it. But going out of your way to get riled up that others don't share the same opinion, and mocking them along the process -- only makes you look like an imbecile.

The G4TV clip looked way off. Kilowog's skin texture was fine, but his face moved like there were no bones underneath.

The more I see of this movie, the less excited I become. Maybe it looks better in 3D, but the "special" effects still don't look special this late in, and the live action parts haven't grabbed me.

I really want this movie to be awesome and I'm still supporting it. But at the same time, I'm also worried about it.

I really hate to say it, but Kilowog looked really ordinary in that clip. I'm starting to get that bad feeling that WB have misjudged how much time they needed in post production for this film, like really misjudged it.

Yea, the Wog doesn't look all that impressive. His facial movements seem to loose and rubbery. And i'm not fond of his design. He doesn't have that powerful jaw that he has in the comics.

MCD's voice is growing on me, although i'd have preferred someone like John Goodman.

It's like his lips are stiff, almost puppet like movements.

personally, I felt like there was a certain amount of naivety with this production. Like they went way over their heads and didn't realize how big it is till they started having post production problems with the 3D and CGI. ambitions..yes. Well planned? Questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"