Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ You could be correct, it could have been a case of looking easy on paper but the execution being far more difficult. That clip kinda shows something that looks only 80% finished, it's lacking oomph, and if that's the first piece of footage they've decided to release you've seriously gotta wonder what the rest of the film looks like.

Last edited:
what happens next time around if there's a script that calls for 2 hours and 30 minutes?

They'd have to film it 2 years in advance.

what happens next time around if there's a script that calls for 2 hours and 30 minutes?

They'd have to film it 2 years in advance.

Take as long as they need to make it good.

Take as long as they need to make it good.

oh I agree, I just hope they will

I'm feeling a lot of resentment towards sony imageworks at how this movie is looking

I hope WB dumps them

This could end up being one of those films where big lessons will be learned. It's been an ambitious film from the start.

So which company was it that did Davy Jones and the Gollum? ILM?

personally, I felt like there was a certain amount of naivety with this production. Like they went way over their heads and didn't realize how big it is till they started having post production problems with the 3D and CGI. ambitions..yes. Well planned? Questionable.
It's hard to imagine they were caught off guard by the scale of this production. Concept art was worked on for months before filming had even started -- a look at any of those grand shots would tell you it required a large canvas and huge amounts of work to bring it to life.

The press who were invited on set months ago, remarked that they were impressed by the glorious shots of all the GLs and Oa. Reynolds himself was lured into the production by the infamous room of concept-work filled walls. But they are all shared one question: could this be done in live-action?

So it's clear to me they knew their work was cut out for them. But it's very hard to foresee how it's all going to turn out until the last day of post-production when everything is in place.

Regardless of my disappointment, I don't think it's going to be a dealbreaker. I Am Legend had one of the most intrusive and appalling CG work I've seen in a blockbuster, but it wasn't enough to deter audiences from paying to see it. Of course, that was a Will Smith vehicle. But GL has a fresh product, sci-fi setting, likable star, and the superhero factor behind it. IF it's a solid flick, it will do just fine in the summer.

Ha! I liked the clip. Makes me think of that scene in the second trailer when Hal hovers in front of the sun.

Kilowogg looks pretty good to me. Not the best CGI I've seen for aliens but it looks like it works.

So Kilowog made a sun construct and it had the gravitational pull of a real sun? I'm guessing that the constructs actually work like the real thing?

Anyway i dont think Kilowog was so bad. Besides this movie is full of CGI, in contrast to Pirates where they didnt need it so much and thus could perfect every frame.

It's hard to imagine they were caught off guard by the scale of this production. Concept art was worked on for months before filming had even started -- a look at any of those grand shots would tell you it required a large canvas and huge amounts of work to bring it to life.

The press who were invited on set months ago, remarked that they were impressed by the glorious shots of all the GLs and Oa. Reynolds himself was lured into the production by the infamous room of concept-work filled walls. But they are all shared one question: could this be done in live-action?

So it's clear to me they knew their work was cut out for them. But it's very hard to foresee how it's all going to turn out until the last day of post-production when everything is in place.

Regardless of my disappointment, I don't think it's going to be a dealbreaker. I Am Legend had one of the most intrusive and appalling CG work I've seen in a blockbuster, but it wasn't enough to deter audiences from paying to see it. Of course, that was a Will Smith vehicle. But GL has a fresh product, sci-fi setting, likable star, and the superhero factor behind it. IF it's a solid flick, it will do just fine in the summer.

The original 2010 release date says they may have been caught off guard.

Anyway i dont think Kilowog was so bad. Besides this movie is full of CGI, in contrast to Pirates where they didnt need it so much and thus could perfect every frame.
Avatar did it. Time and a more talented vfx team is what they needed here.

Hell, I think the Spidey reboot is still using IW but they have a full year dedicated to post-production. That sort of timetable would have helped this film out.

The original 2010 release date says they may have been caught off guard.
By scheduling conflicts maybe, I doubt it was due to effects. I remember they were supposed to start filming in Australia around late '09, but that got sidetracked for New Orleans, which delayed them until March of the following year.

I also like how Kilowogg was struggling to keep his feet on the ground as he walked towards Hal.

Yeah but Avatar had a massive budget didnt it?
True. Also had the combination of WETA/ILM, a two year production period, and a vfx veteran director who's a proven sci-fi visionary.

So yeah, not much of a fair comparison. I'd better stop now, because I'm just getting bitter of what a grander GL franchise could be. :o

By scheduling conflicts maybe, I doubt it was due to effects. I remember they were supposed to start filming in Australia around late '09, but that got sidetracked for New Orleans, which delayed them until March of the following year.

I'm pretty certain the release date change came before the location change. Shooting was suppose to start down here in Sydney in November '09, no way they could have been ready for a December '10 release.

EDIT: Yep, the release date change came in May 09, months before the location issues.

Last edited:
Well if GL is a success they could up the ante in the sequel.

Btw i was wondering did they choose sony because ILM is Lucas' and he works with Paramount and all that? In other words could WB get ILM or Weta if they wanted to or are they exclusive to other studios?

Maybe they were cheaper.

I'm pretty certain the release date change came before the location change. Shooting was suppose to star down here in Sydney in November '09, no way they could have been ready for a December '10 release.

EDIT: Yep, the release date change came in May 09, months before the location issues.
Regardless, it was only to their benefit to give more leeway for a film that relied so much work on VFX. I just think they bit off more than they could chew this time around. A for effort and all that...

Well if GL is a success they could up the ante in the sequel.

Btw i was wondering did they choose sony because ILM is Lucas' and he works with Paramount and all that? In other words could WB get ILM or Weta if they wanted to or are they exclusive to other studios?
No one is tied down to anybody, though I wouldn't be surprised if certain studios get priority because of connections.

It also has a lot to do with the fact that ILM and WETA are in such high demand that it's tough to secure a timeslot with them. Depending on when production is set to start, they may already be booked. This is how IW benefits, because they seem to be the go-to vfx house when the top two are taken. Conveniently, Spielberg, Jackson, and Cameron always seem to start their movies (and thus snatch up ILM/WETA) whenever one of the big superheroes has a film in production as well. Supes, Spidey, and now GL have missed the boat.

Every. Damn. Time. :cmad:

Regardless, it was only to their benefit to give more leeway for a film that relied so much work on VFX. I just think they bit off more than they could chew this time around. A for effort and all that...

Can't deny them points for trying, but lessons will have be learned from this film. The easiest solution of course would be to delay the film, but that ain't happening.

I wonder how many more clips will we get? Wouldn't mind one with Hal and Sinestro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"