Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, there should have been a whole film devoted to Sinestro's fall... not a cheap sequel bait tactic in the end credits.
Yeah, I am so pissed that they didn't go this route. Instead they have Sinestro "turn to the dark side" for no apparent reason. They did not have to do this just to appease fans. It could have waited for the sequel and meant so much more.

As people said before, Hal defeats Parallax using the power of will, so why would someone, especially one as great as Sinestro, care about using the power of fear when the fear entity itself was defeated by a single Green Lantern's will? It makes me want to axe kick a puppy.

Doctor Jones, I dont want them to retread what happened in the comics, but they should stick close to them, at least in tone. Marvel does that without retelling the same stories. GL had to get the origin out of the way before going its own way which will still be fairly close to the GL books.

at least they could use Sinestro more in this movie and have a bigger connection to the lpot and villain. so that when you show the end credits everyone udnerstand what is happening.

Hal and Sinestro were at first supposed to be friends though.
It just seems that Sinestro had zero development as a character... then turns bad in an after credit scene.

That's just terrible writing and nothing but sequel bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
To people who don't know the comic, I can't help but think the post credits scene is going to be incomprehensible. My girlfriend was like "why the hell did he do that? I thought he was a good guy!" When I explained, she was not happy. They didn't even remotely set it up right.

"sigh"...:csad::hal:

Looks like word of mouth is gonna kill this puppy.....This will take a 50 percent drop in the 2nd week.

DC screws it up again! :cmad:

Yeah Hal and Sinestro had a nice bromance in Secret Origins.

Lantern made 3.35 million at midnight screenings....per deadlinehollywood.com

Looks like word of mouth is gonna kill this puppy.....This will take a 50 percent drop in the 2nd week.

I think it's gonna be a lot steeper than 50%. I'm thinking something closer to a 60%+ drop ala Wolverine. I don't think the general public is going to hate it. Hell, I don't hate it. It's just difficult for me to picture people getting really excited over it.

Yeah Hal and Sinestro had a nice bromance in Secret Origins.

Has there been a retelling of when Hal realized Sinestro was a tyrant and they had their first throw down in the comics ala Secret Origins?

Has there been a retelling of when Hal realized Sinestro was a tyrant and they had their first throw down in the comics ala Secret Origins?
Well, in the movie there is no bromance and Sinestro turns evil for no apparent reason.

Yea, I really dislike the Hal Jordan character. But the "bromance" moments with Sinestro in Secret Origins was actually pretty awesome. It made Hal seem like an actual real character, instead of just a bland cypher for the reader to imprint themselves onto.

50% drop is actually just your typical drop for a tentpole film, maybe you mean 60%?

Well, in the movie there is no bromance and Sinestro turns evil for no apparent reason.

There wasn't one single solitary reference to him turning evil. He just put the ring on.

There wasn't one single solitary reference to him turning evil. He just put the ring on.

Oh, come on. He turned yellow, his eyes turned yellow, and he gave an evil look.

If he's using spoiler tags, why aren't you following suit?

WB thought that everyone knows that he turns evil since..................hes name is Sinestro muhahahahhahah ;)

So, are people just saying "**** it" to hiding spoilers now?

Just because he tried on something that he thought would have more power doesn't mean he'd turn evil. If Hal hadn't arrived on Oa and he had been able to put the ring on before he still would have turned yellow, but planned on using it to fight Parallax. Yes, Hal proved that willpower could overcome fear, but that was one time out of 10 (the other 9 died) and he almost died doing it. So if anything could overcome fear, it would have a damn hard time doing it.

Plus, I don't think Sinestro planned on fighting any Green Lanterns with the ring, since he wasn't evil. The guy just wanted to be better at his job, he hasn't had the opportunity to have a falling out with the Guardians yet.

LOL, he "tried it on".

Sorry, HFMF, that just sounds funny.

"Hmm, yes. YES. Yellow is definitely my color. Green is soooo 2010!"

The point is, there should have been development of Hal and Sinestro's relationship before he even tries on the yellow ring.

Have more of it on Oa, show more than one training scene. Perhaps have Hal go with Sinestro to his homeworld and witness how he keeps people in line, hinting at the possibility of Sinestro going bad in the future. It would make the fall of Sinestro more emotionally powerful.

But no, they don't bother with all that, they jump the gun and have Sinestro get the yellow ring in a sequel bait after credit scene.

[BLACKOUT]Maybe in the movies Sinestro is the kind of guy that cant say no to an offer.

- Say Sinestro, wanna try this joint?
- Sure!
- Hey Thaal, lets do coke man!
- ...OK.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads