Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference between debate and trolling. People who dislike a film are not trolls. People who LIKE the film can be trolls. It works both ways. You're labeling him a troll just for having a contradictory opinion, and I am sorry...that is not how it works.

I wouldn't label him a troll since people on this website from my point of view dislike the movie in general. The ones who have seen it that is, I also said half of the above because most of the people who made it known that they liked the movie don't post in this section here anymore, most of them that is.

Last edited:
There is a difference between debate and trolling. People who dislike a film are not trolls. People who LIKE the film can be trolls. It works both ways. You're labeling him a troll just for having a contradictory opinion, and I am sorry...that is not how it works.

Nice edit there :whatever:

You did say it, did you not? Your nickname is Spider-Fan after all. :oldrazz:

I wouldn't label him a troll since people on this website from my point of view dislike the movie in general. The ones who have seen it that is.

Then what did you hope to accomplish by calling him out as if he were doing something against hype regulations? So, now you're admitting he is not trolling, when before you were trying to paint him as being obnoxious. If you feel he has a legitimate point, why did you call him out at all? Pick an argument and stick with it.

I'm going to exit this discussion now...while I am still sane.

Last edited:
Then what did you hope to accomplish by calling him out as if he were doing something against hype regulations? So, now you're admitting he is not trolling, when before you were trying to paint him as being obnoxious. If you feel he has a legitimate point, why did you call him out at all? Pick an argument and stick with it.

I'm going to exit this discussion now...while I am still sane.

I'm not always a black or white kind of guy!!! The people who live on earth come off as an enigma from time to time. :oldrazz:
I got nothing more to say about The Morningstar, peace.

The way I see it is like this...whenever I see him discussing the movie all I EVER hear from him is negativity. That is my beef with him. Who loves it when someone complains non stop about a certain something? Criticism here and there is fine. If you're down with people complaining about something 100% of the time then more power to you. And no, I have no desire for a total love and blind fest when it comes to the people on this website talking about the Green Lantern movie.

The way I view it, each time he complains, it comes off as constructive criticism and not in an offensive manner towards people who did enjoy the film.

I only care because it has become EXTREMELY obnoxious in my world when he is sharing criticism towards the movie. Now if he was really subtle about it? I would let it slide.

So what... i'm not allowed to be negative towards the film because it offends you? Who is being obnoxious now?

I'm not exactly coming in here and saying "This movie sucks!" or "Anyone who likes this movie is an idiot!" If I was? Yea, I'd be obnoxious and out of order.

I'm spelling out what my thoughts on the film are. This frustration is born out of disappointment. I wanted a good Green Lantern film. I didn't get it. So yea, i'm gonna say what I thought was wrong with it. What's the problem?

The fact that a few people agreed with me means I'm not alone in this opinion of movie Hal Jordan (thanks BTW). So, no, I don't feel like i'm being an obnoxious troll.

Last edited:
I saw the movie for the second time, and I liked it as much as the first time; I still find it more entertaining than Captain America (which I did like a lot), and I still don't get all the negativity towards the movie; people calling movie Hal bland and all of that..you never really met a guy like that, right? The guy who ACTS as a cocky *****e and gets the girl and all of that...don't you know that that's an act too? From the beginning of the movie I could tell the type; he acts that way to keep people away, because he's afraid of letting people in; and even from the start you can tell that he's a good guy underneath...

I dunno, maybe the complaints about his character come from the fact that even in real life, people dissmiss guys like that just sayin "what a *****e" instead of trying to see beyond the mask; I dunno, I just know I did get it, because I know the type WAY too well...

Anyways, really fun movie and I hope it gets a sequel...

Polux

The problem isn't that Hal is cocky SOB its how the story handles his character arc. The way his character was developed from irresponsible a-hole to defender of Earth was horribly done.

The problem isn't that Hal is cocky SOB its how the story handles his character arc. The way his character was developed from irresponsible a-hole to defender of Earth was horribly done.

That's the main problem. And the crappy editing.

I don't think GL deserves all the hate it got, but it did deserve some. WB needs to straighten up, hold their head high, and find a good director (akin to Nolan) who can do the character justice in a possible sequel.

I really don't want to see countless Batman and Superman movies. Jeff Robinov, I welcome a more grittier sequel for GL if it guarantees a better movie.

^I just cant see them doing a sequel, the movie hasnt made its budget back world-wide let alone domestically.

Although they could pull a Sony who are doing a Ghost Rider 2 for cheaper. I think a GL movie could be made for $100 million, but they would need a director who is good with budgets and it would need to be a large improvement over the first movie.

Official US covers for DVD and Blu Ray

tumblr_lqjol80z341qf8poko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lqjol80z341qf8poko2_1280.jpg

Maybe it's just down here but all the promo material for GL had Hal sans mask.

Its not just there, I've seen UK posters without his mask which makes him look really weird. I think his DVD cover over there doesn't have it either.

His eyes do look really weird, they look photoshpped in.

WB still can't do a decent cover. The DVD/BD covers they chose for TDK and Watchmen are horrendous. Why couldn't the Watchmen cover be the smiley face?

So do we know exactly what will be in the extended cut?

Hurt? No. Baffles the mind? Yes.

I mean seriously, how is the Hal Jordan of the movie compelling or interesting in any way? He's just an irresponsible *****e bag who has one night stands with hot chicks and drives a muscle car like an *******. He doesn't even have a proper character arc. He goes from A (irresponsible *****e bag)-C (greatest Green Lantern ever who can kill a being that supposedly destroys entire star systems and has immortal Guardians of the Universe crapping themselves after one 10 minute training session and a pep talk from his cardboard cut out ex girlfriend). The B part is completely missing.

And the "angst" is just laughable. That flashback scene was like a spoof of Top Gun.

Problem with movie Hal is that they tried too hard to make him this really cool guy. He gets the chicks, he drives some bad ass muscle car, he's always got a quip handy. How can anyone who isn't really shallow connect with a guy like that? He's not even a real character. He's some "super cool bad ass dude" cliche.

Compare him with the other superheroes this summer. Thor and Cap.

Thor started off as an arrogant, blood thirsty *****e bag. But he was kinda charming and naive with it. Like a kid. He's likeable with his *****iness, you can root for him.

Steve Rogers? Well he's just an awesome guy. A skinny little runt who just really wants to fight alongside the other young men of his country. He thinks that he shouldn't get a free pass whilst other guys are off dying in war. He has the most noble heart ever. You gotta root for him, how can you not?

Then Hal Jordan. He's just a *****e bag, basically. With no redeemable features. He's got a great job. He gets the girls. An awesome car. But he's still a whinger. People don't like people like that. People who have it all... but still ****ing moan.

Well, I guess you could [sympathize] with him because of the thing with his dad... if that scene was done well. But it wasn't. It was laughable.

I don't think the problem was with Hal Jordan. How is the cocky irresponsible womanizing *****e bag any different to a James Bond character who has been that way for decades? How is it any different to a character like Maverick in the film "Top Gun"? There are a good number of (young) people who like cocky irresponsible (but yet good at what they do) people because they see themselves in those characters (it's probably why the character, Riddick has survived for so long). The real problem is the concept of a guy having a ring that can create anything he can imagine. It hasn't really been done before in a superhero film and it translated as silly according to critics. You also have the negative perception that the WB can't make good comic-book films working against you as well. If "Green Lantern" had the Marvel name tagged to it it more than likely would have fared better than it did.

Not only that but when you start with a cocky irresponsible *****e bag you get to see them progress as a character into someone that you can root for as a protagonist. Iron Man and Thor did fantastic jobs in showing the character progressions of Tony Stark and Thor from their original arrogant, womanizing, irresponsible, and cocky attitudes into true heroes.

Green Lantern could have done the same thing, but because it tried to do too much, it didn't show enough progression as a result.

Yea pretty much. Problem with Hal, for me, is that yea, he was an *******, to be frank. But he wasn't really a likable *******, if you know what I mean? He was too smug with it. And his development and growth as a character just didn't ring true.

Maverick from Top Gun? Yea he was a *****e. But he was likable. And his growth as a character was very well done, especially after Goose's death. That was the trigger for him to buck his ideas up. A really emotionally powerful moment. Same could be said of Thor. When Loki visits him and lies to him about his dad being dead and his mother disowning him, that was a powerful moment that you could believe was a turning point for the character.

Hal's trigger was a ****ing pep talk from Blake Lively...

Yeah, I think something a lot more dramatic should have triggered Hal's transformation from *****e to hero, maybe him going on a mission and losing a Green Lantern friend to Parrallax or something, someone who he had SOME emotional attachment to but someone who also didnt take too much time up from other stuff.

have they said anymore about a sequel?

last I heard, it was off, though the movie did make back it's budget sans marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"