Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
If those 14 minutes have more Sinestro, I will have to slap the filmmakers in the face for cutting them out of the theatrical release.

Curious....

The extended cut, that is. I'm game. Blu-Ray it is!

Last week there was a woman from the Hollywood Reporter on NPR talking about the summer movie season and how some films, superhero films specifically, didn't perform as well as they were expected to. While X-Men: FC and Thor ended up doing well, GL tanked. But she noted that, still at this late date, WB was still kicking around the idea of a doing a sequel. Maybe the release of an extended cut of the movie, with 14 minutes no less, is a sign of that.

Same here, I will probably buy the BD because there were some good scene's in the movie and the extra 14 mins has me intrigued definately.

Yeah, I'll be getting it too. I want it just for the Oa/Sinestro scenes not to mention that extra 14 minutes.

I will be buying Blu ray / DVD (haven't decided yet.) but,

I doubt that extra 14 minutes will have more space scenes because they are CGI effects heavy and those were unfinished so they had to cut them out (all this is pure speculation.), I think that the extra scenes will feature Hal's family, childhood scenes, Carol Ferris giving a short speech at function where Senator Hammond's helicopter crashes etc.

Kinda weird it is only Blu Ray for the extended cut.

Not really, studios have been doing this a lot lately where the DVD is a barebones release and they go all out for the blu-ray. Terminator Salvation, Priest, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Inception, X-Men: First Class and others have the blu-ray getting the bulk of goodies while the DVD versions tend to get shafted.

Can't blame them though. The kind of people who are willing to pay the premium for extra features and whatnot have pretty much moved onto blu-ray. People who buy DVDs nowadays are people who just want to be simply entertained (not that this is a putdown because this is the majority of consumers), people who buy blu-rays want more of an experience and are already demonstrating that they want a premium by buying the more expensive version.

^Despite being a mostly earth bound movie it was still terrible. Plot, characters motivations were all terrible. Not to mention the jarring editing cuts. We would be perfectly fine if there was very little Corps action but what we got instead was barely mediocre at best.

And yet the Transformer films make a ton of money. :huh:

And yet the Transformer films make a ton of money. :huh:

Because it gave them the spectacle of giant robots fighting. When people see that they go wow. Green Lantern's best spectacle was just aliens dressed in green, people were laughing instead of being impressed.

I will be buying Blu ray / DVD (haven't decided yet.) but,

I doubt that extra 14 minutes will have more space scenes because they are CGI effects heavy and those were unfinished so they had to cut them out (all this is pure speculation.), I think that the extra scenes will feature Hal's family, childhood scenes, Carol Ferris giving a short speech at function where Senator Hammond's helicopter crashes etc.

I wonder if some of those scenes were pretty much finished but they had to cut them because they were so tight on their release date and didn't have time to finish them.

So, te movie finally opened in my country, and after all the bad reviews and poor box office I went with low expectations; and I totally enjoyed it! I don't know where the negativity comes from! I really liked the movie, I enjoyed it far more than Captain America (which I really enjoyed), it's deffinitely not a perfect movie and it's pretty cliché sometimes (then again 95% of action/superhero movies are), but all in all I think it was good; Reynold totally embodies Hal Jordan as did every other actor; I really hope it gets a sequel!

:awesome:

Polux

So, te movie finally opened in my country, and after all the bad reviews and poor box office I went with low expectations; and I totally enjoyed it! I don't know where the negativity comes from! I really liked the movie, I enjoyed it far more than Captain America (which I really enjoyed), it's deffinitely not a perfect movie and it's pretty cliché sometimes (then again 95% of action/superhero movies are), but all in all I think it was good; Reynold totally embodies Hal Jordan as did every other actor; I really hope it gets a sequel!

:awesome:

Polux

Same here! And I know a lot people who also enjoyed the movie...

^A lot of people enjoyed it, doesnt make it a good effort, I didnt hate it but the movie should have been a lot better than it was, especially for the price they paid, studio interference was all over this movie.

I don't think it was studio interference. It was pretty much like a Geoff Johns GL comic. That's why it was crap.

^ Careful, your bias is showing.

Also, there was some studio interference.

Bias? That I think Geoff Johns' GL comics are crap? ok. Well, the movie was pretty much a Geoff Johns GL comic come to life. How can this be denied?

It's no coincidence that fans of Johns' comics are fans of the movie whilst people who think Johns' GL comics are crap think the movie is crap.

Not really, studios have been doing this a lot lately where the DVD is a barebones release and they go all out for the blu-ray. Terminator Salvation, Priest, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Inception, X-Men: First Class and others have the blu-ray getting the bulk of goodies while the DVD versions tend to get shafted.

Can't blame them though. The kind of people who are willing to pay the premium for extra features and whatnot have pretty much moved onto blu-ray. People who buy DVDs nowadays are people who just want to be simply entertained (not that this is a putdown because this is the majority of consumers), people who buy blu-rays want more of an experience and are already demonstrating that they want a premium by buying the more expensive version.

DVD format is being supplanted by Internet streaming media (Netflix, Hulu, Apple ITunes, and soon to be Ultraviolet cloud technology). Blu-ray is probably the last bastion for disc storage media and it's days are numbered as well. The one advantage it has now over DVD format is it storage capability (up to 128 GB) which allows studios to offer extended content that would require multiple DVD discs and more costly packaging as an alternative.

Last edited:
Blu-ray is probably the last bastion for disc storage media and it's days are numbered as well.
Compressed HD cannot compete with uncompressed HD; which Blu-Ray is. Its days aren't even close to being numbered. That is if you care about AV quality.

Compressed HD cannot compete with uncompressed HD; which Blu-Ray is. Its days aren't even close to being numbered. That is if you care about AV quality.

It's not uncompressed...quite the contrary. But it is the best currently-available consumer format. They are usually an MPEG-2, H.264, or MPEG-4 codec. Actual Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 is used as original HD capture, or for online/color-correction and mastering....it takes up much more data space than a BD disc can store and requires a big/fast RAID disk array and pipeline/GPU to play back reliably at full framerate, if not playing an HDCAM-SR off a deck.

When bandwidth and speed for download gets up to snuff in which downloading a (legally-purchased) BluRay Disc's worth of data in a short time is more feasible, then we may see BluRay's starting to fade away. Even the movies we see projected in digital theaters is a 'compressed' codec, albeit a high-quality one...JPEG-2000 with an MXF wrapper....in either 2K or 4K res, and also need a big system to play off of.

Last edited:
Finnaly i have seen the film.The talks about the quality, for me,are over the top. The film has problems, but is not the piece of crap what everbody is talking.Its a fun, entertaining superhero film.Really deserves a second chance as a sequel. I post a translated review from the original what i have wrote on Review Thread, so, everyone are welcome to read if want it.

So I recently though about movie Hal Jordan and he seems to be even more less bland. To me that is because of the fact that he kept the power ring and power battery after he decided to quit and because of the fact that he was being a whiner while having all of these cool super powers.

So he wasn't bland because he was a whiner who has superpower? That's the sign of a great, compelling character right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"