Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they'll let Nolan do his thing with Batman, but keep their noses in the Green Lantern franchise? Is that what DC Entertainment is about?

If WB thinks GL will reach 400 mil WW, they are delusional beyond belief.

Assuming this isn't just a tough act of WB's part in light of the current crisis, I don't know what to say. This is self-destructiveness of a level not even Fox is capable of.

No kidding. If this is true, it really shakes my confidence in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Comic Book Movie was banned here.

Really, do you think they won't make a sequel when they have OA, the costumes and the whole Green Lantern corp in their digital libraries ready to be used again at (close to) no cost?

Really, do you think they won't make a sequel when they have OA, the costumes and the whole Green Lantern corp in their digital libraries ready to be used again at (close to) no cost?

Well if it's true that they cut a bunch of sequences because the special effects were getting too expensive, I'm not sure how they're going to deliver the space opera that fans are clamoring for.

Animators don't work for free you know.

Green Lantern: Rise of Fear?

If true, I'd suggest dropping the "Rise of Fear." Time will tell how this all works out. WB/DCE would have to work hard to try and get the general audience excited for a sequel.

Green Lantern: Rise of Fear?

If true, I'd suggest dropping the "Rise of Fear." Time will tell how this all works out. WB/DCE would have to work hard to try and get the general audience excited for a sequel.

Yeah, with the next Batman movie having RISES as part of it's title the "Rise of Fear" part needs changing.

This news doesn't surprise me one bit. WB's too invested with launching the DC properties to take the place of Potter over the next decade.

Whether it's a Lantern sequel or an intro to a new character, WB's going to push forward.

Matt Reeves is a fine choice if this tidbit is true.

Yeah, with the next Batman movie having RISES as part of it's title the "Rise of Fear" part needs changing.

Wonder why people like putting "Rise" in their film titles. Right now I can think of Silver Surfer, GI Joe, and Planet of the Apes.

Anyway, I Googled the title of the article since I like to know where the source of things are and it's from CBM, so... yeah.

Barely. How many Oa environments did we see? Three? This isn't like Avatar where they have a whole ecosystem ready to go.
Also if they decide to got with a full space opera theme they will need more planets than just Oa. So if making those 3 sets cost so much, we can only imagine how much it will cost for not only an expanded Oa but multiple planets.

If they do, expect more of the alien environment to be sets and model work augmented with CG instead of full CG.

That's really the only way to keep the cost down, yet maintain or exceed the scope. It has to be a combination of all the techniques for it to have scope but keep costs down....

Wonder why people like putting "Rise" in their film titles. Right now I can think of Silver Surfer, GI Joe, and Planet of the Apes.
It's Hollywood....Xerox rules.

This news doesn't surprise me one bit. WB's too invested with launching the DC properties to take the place of Potter over the next decade.

Whether it's a Lantern sequel or an intro to a new character, WB's going to push forward.

Matt Reeves is a fine choice if this tidbit is true.

The problem is they're delusional in their projections, even their revised ones, that's why I don't but that 'article'. No way this film makes $400 million world wide, not with the opening weekend and mediocre word of mouth it's gotten. As much as the may have been invested beforehand the game is completely different now, a week as was proven is a long time in Hollywood.

It's Hollywood....Xerox rules.

True.

Maybe they think it makes it sound more ominous or "cooler." I only get that vibe from the new Planet of the Apes, but that's because of the trailer. That look on Ceaser is pretty freaky.

With GL, I can't see how any ominous feeling can be achieved since Hal defeated "fear" incarnate fairly easily and with very little training.

Not saying you're not right but I can see WB's position. Potter masked a lot of failures at the studio for a decade...even with the talents of Nolan, Eastwood, Snyder, and Ritchie pulling their weight.

Like all studios, they need those tentpoles to make up the cost of those films that underperform or flat out bomb.

With the DC stable at their disposal, it makes since to push forward.

I just don't know how. They can't live off Superman and Batman. And it's hard to know if an original story in the summer is going to take off for the studio like Inception did last summer fir WB.

I mean Sucker Punch wasn't that expensive (82 million budget) and it still lost money.

Thing is though WB isn't entirely dependent on superheroes, if they wanted to they could acquire the rights to any number of preexisting properties that aren't superhero related, hell they could start a trend and do some original stuff. WB has used Potter as a crutch for too long, they can't just assume superheroes will continues where that series leaves off.

Warner Bros. still pushing ahead with Green Lantern Sequel

Warner Bros. are still going to produce and fund a sequel to 2011's Green Lantern despite a massive negative reaction and are already looking at Director's to replace Martin Campbell.

I have a source who I would say is "close" to Warner Bros. and he slips me little bits here and there and is always spot on. Well he slipped me another little thing here that is interesting.
"Despite the negative critical reaction and fan boy reaction, Warner Bros. are concerned about the Box Office numbers but believe it will make $400million which is less than the $550million they projected. But they are still pressing ahead and Martin Campbell left because of "differing agreements" with some of the Producers. Warner Bros. are looking at Matt Reeves to reinvigorate the franchise with the sequel as Director. The first film was always there to set up Sinestro as the villain in the sequel which will no doubt prove to be 100 times better from what I'm hearing, I believe at the moment it's called "Green Lantern: Rise of Fear" but don't quote me on that."​
I replied asking him about the Martin Campbell differing agreements bit and he said that it was creative differences in the finished product. He said he heard rumours that Campbell stopped putting his input into the final product at the end of May after "serious rows". This is why the film was so badly put together.

Also regarding the sequel (or Green Lantern: Rise of Fear), he said Warner Bros. want Matt Reeves to direct it who has experience with filming aliens in Cloverfield.

I assure you this is genuine and my source is definitely "in the know". What do you make of this?

Are you guys seriously taking this information to heart? Seriously? Wow, desperation must spawn gullibility.

It came from a guy that goes by "MrDCFantatic" at CBM.

So sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a way, I'm surprised and not surprised. Matt Reeves is a good start though. You wouldn't think WB would let a potential franchise go like that.

Or maybe in the meantime, get a Flash film off the ground with a manageable budget.

And this thing with Campbell, at this point it's hard not to think he botched this up. But when he's capable of making two great Bond films and a great Zorro film he could have done better. I'm sure if a director butts heads with a studio, the director is usually the one wanting to make a good film. Studios don't know how to make films. They only know how to make money. And it kind of explains the hackneyed nature of the film. Perhaps there was more to this film that we didn't see but was buried underneath WB's powers. Or maybe this was a sinker from the start and Campbell misdirected the whole thing.

It is a comic book movie article folks, the journalistic credibility of which lies somewhere between TMZ and that fake movie critic Sony scammed up a few years back.

The notion that this is still going to make 400M WW should have tipped you guys off if the fact that it's a comicbookmovie article didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"