Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I think a big part of why Superman Returns didn't get a sequel is because Singer took it in a direction not many people wanted to see. I think between the kid, and Lex Luthor being lifted from the 70s version there wasn't a lot they could do with it. I know I felt after seeing it that they had sort of painted themselves into a corner. I'm still in the mindset of "I'll believe it when I see it" with Green Lantern but at least they can do pretty much anything they want with the character because the first movie served its purpose in showing where the character came from. I think people definitely would have watched another Superman movie after Superman Returns, but I don't think people wanted a sequel to that movie.

They did have tax breaks in New Orleans. We have very very generous tax laws in Louisiana so they got a good deal.

I don't think there is a :facepalm: big enough for the dark and gritty comment made by Robinov.

FWIW I think a big part of why Superman Returns didn't get a sequel is because Singer took it in a direction not many people wanted to see. I think between the kid, and Lex Luthor being lifted from the 70s version there wasn't a lot they could do with it. I know I felt after seeing it that they had sort of painted themselves into a corner. I'm still in the mindset of "I'll believe it when I see it" with Green Lantern but at least they can do pretty much anything they want with the character because the first movie served its purpose in showing where the character came from. I think people definitely would have watched another Superman movie after Superman Returns, but I don't think people wanted a sequel to that movie.

If SR had somehow made $500M+, they would have found a way to make a sequel...regardless of the kid and 70's Luthor. Sequels are more about continuing money/success, not characters/stories.

What director would even want to take on the character at this point. Its very unlikely a sequel will be coming out, let alone a reboot anytime soon. I can see them going with the flash instead for 2014 as it seems like 1 film a year for DC. The thing is though they have 2 scripts from the same writers as GL, someone is going to have to take the fall for that movie.

I think it had more to do with Singer not coming to WB with solid sequel plans fast enough for WB's tastes. As a story, the kid really was the only hang up. It likely would've been dealt with in the sequel. They already talked of increasing the action. I'm sure if were as mindless and dumb as Transformers, people wouldn't complain about an "angry god." And as many said, it doesn't make much sense that GL gets a sequel while SR didn't.

Maybe this time WB feels like they need to continue with the GL franchise more than they did with Superman years ago due to the ending of the Harry Potter films. The idea of this being the "Star Wars" of the DCU is likely too much to pass up for them.

I don't think there is a :facepalm: big enough for the dark and gritty comment made by Robinov.

12072902962388821.jpg

That should do it.

Time Warner chairman and CEO Jeff Bewkes was clear when asked on a conference call Wednesday how he felt about the box office performance of Green Lantern, the June release from the conglomerate's film studio that disappointed.

"It did not live up to expectations - fell fairly far short of those," Bewkes said. Still, he didn't rule out a sequel at this point, saying that he was not in a position to tell at this time. "We will be deciding that in due course," he said. Sources had previously told The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. was not giving up on a sequel.

I'm not surprised they were not happy with the results.

If they reboot it in half a decade they will have on their hands the equivalent of the Incredible Hulk. It might be better received by fanboys but it makes about the same amount.

I don't see a GL sequel or reboot/semi-reboot in the near future either. It's Robinov again "thinking out loud" and trying to spin the GL brand. I can see another movie in a few years after they try yet again to have other properties established.

If they reboot it in half a decade they will have on their hands the equivalent of the Incredible Hulk. It might be better received by fanboys but it makes about the same amount.

Maybe, like the Hulk and Avengers, GL can be reworked to be part of the Justice League. So that the GL brand can be backed up by being part of that team, rather than a shaky sequel to a mediocre first movie. Though, of course, a JL movie is another huge obstacle for them.

I can see the Flash movie being made first and then everything else to be uncertain, with Superman and Batman sequels being more likely until they figure out what to do with Justice League and their other properties, including GL.

Finally saw it at a special screening hosted by Best Buy here in Mexico City. I honestly don't see where does all the hate come from, it's not a perfect movie, but it absolutely doesn't deserve all the negative reviews, 22% on Rotten Tomatoes places it next to Daredevil or Punisher Warzone, and that's not the case. I see it as a marketing problem in which a lot of people were expecting to see the whole Corps in action, since they appear on the trailers, posters and action figures.

^Despite being a mostly earth bound movie it was still terrible. Plot, characters motivations were all terrible. Not to mention the jarring editing cuts. We would be perfectly fine if there was very little Corps action but what we got instead was barely mediocre at best.

Finally saw it at a special screening hosted by Best Buy here in Mexico City. I honestly don't see where does all the hate come from, it's not a perfect movie, but it absolutely doesn't deserve all the negative reviews, 22% on Rotten Tomatoes places it next to Daredevil or Punisher Warzone, and that's not the case. I see it as a marketing problem in which a lot of people were expecting to see the whole Corps in action, since they appear on the trailers, posters and action figures.

Fully agree with your post. That's what all my friends said after the movie. "It wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be."

:D

^Despite being a mostly earth bound movie it was still terrible. Plot, characters motivations were all terrible. Not to mention the jarring editing cuts. We would be perfectly fine if there was very little Corps action but what we got instead was barely mediocre at best.

Pretty much.

The scenes on Oa were pretty cool, and Sinestro was great... but the villains, especially Hammond, were horrible and everything else was lackluster. I did like seeing the constructs though.

I dont know if this was posted here before, but now is confirmated: Green Lantern will have a Extended Cut in Blu ray, and a list of extras ( Via Amazon UK)

DVD Description

In a universe as vast as it is mysterious, a small but powerful force has existed for centuries. Protectors of peace and justice, they are called the Green Lantern Corps. A brotherhood of warriors sworn to keep intergalactic order, each Green Lantern wears a ring that grants him superpowers. But when a new enemy called Parallax threatens to destroy the balance of power in the universe, their fate and the fate of Earth lie in the hands of their newest recruit, the first human ever selected: Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds).

The extended cut included in this Triple Play edition contains 14 minutes of extra footage not seen in the theatrical release.

Extra Content The Universe According to Green Lantern
Ryan Reynolds Becomes the Green Lantern
Deleted Scenes
MMM: Green Lantern's Light (No Walk On Version)
MMM: Graphic Localization
MMM: PiP
The Art of the Green Lantern - MMM Focus Pod
Weapons Hot: The U.C.A.V Dog Fight - MMM Focus Pod
Reinventing the Superhero Costume - MMM Focus Pod
Ring Slinging 101 - MMM Focus Pod
We Are the Corps - MMM Focus Pod
Acting Under 10 Pounds of Silicone - MMM Focus Pod
When Parallax Attacks - MMM Focus Pod
Justice League #1 Digital Comic
Preview of Green Lantern: The Animated Series

It will be interesting to see how much that extra 14 mins changes to the film, I'm suspecting it won't be a great deal, but it might have been enough to make the film far more watchable. 14 mins is a pretty big chunk of film time.

Kinda weird it is only Blu Ray for the extended cut.

It's also weird were hearing about it through the foreign sites instead of from U.S. sites. We haven't even seen the US cover.

Just saw it again today and... I actually liked it a bit more. Can't really see the whole disaster, all the bad reviews make it seem like Clash of the Titans. It's quite unfair that GL won't get a sequel and that POS called Clash of the Titans is getting one. Oh well, guess I'll be part of a quite reduced circle.

Kinda weird it is only Blu Ray for the extended cut.

It's also weird were hearing about it through the foreign sites instead of from U.S. sites. We haven't even seen the US cover.
There will probably be a DVD exclusive somewhere with the extended cut.

Nope, studios are focusing all the extras on the Blurays now. DVD's are getting short changed nowadays.

Nope, studios are focusing all the extras on the Blurays now. DVD's are getting short changed nowadays.
By "exclusive", I mean a store specific exclusive. You could get the Director's Cut of Terminator Salvation on DVD only at Target. Plus Walmart had a exclusive two disc DVD of Harry Potter 7.1 with the extras from the two disc Blu-ray.

It will be interesting to see what is in those 14 mins, the movie did need to be longer IMO so it definately wont hurt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"