Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched Superman & Lois. Something about the Superman suit looks...off. His body doesn't match Clark vs Superman body type and looks like his head shouldn't fit that body. Really hope they give that a redesign. Looks terrible.

As for the show itself, I liked it. Is this a reboot? I don't think the show is say, Netflix Daredevil quality or anything. But that episode was better than the CW stuff had been in a long while before I gave those up. So, I will watch this season. Hope it keeps it up

How many episodes is this supposed to be?
15 episodes. It seems like sort of a soft reboot. It doesn’t sound like they are gonna be completely insulated from the other shows, but they’re doing their own thing with a lot of previously established characters. Basically saying post-Crisis, new continuity.

15 episodes. It seems like sort of a soft reboot. It doesn’t sound like they are gonna be completely insulated from the other shows, but they’re doing their own thing with a lot of previously established characters. Basically saying post-Crisis, new continuity.

I was gonna say it felt like new continuity. When I tuned in during crisis, I thought Superman's child was like...a baby, lol. Now he has 2 teenage sons and a new costume. I am perfectly fine with a reboot, lol. As noted I wasn't high on the CW verse. I will say that the new Superman costume is def a downgrade over the one he had.

I was gonna say it felt like new continuity. When I tuned in during crisis, I thought Superman's child was like...a baby, lol. Now he has 2 teenage sons and a new costume. I am perfectly fine with a reboot, lol. As noted I wasn't high on the CW verse. I will say that the new Superman costume is def a downgrade over the one he had.
Yeah at the very end of Crisis, they hinted at the change, as Lois called Clark about a problem with “the boys” and it was played like a twist. Can’t agree on the suit being a downgrade, but to each their own. Glad you enjoyed it! :up:

Yeah at the very end of Crisis, they hinted at the change, as Lois called Clark about a problem with “the boys” and it was played like a twist. Can’t agree on the suit being a downgrade, but to each their own. Glad you enjoyed it! :up:

Something about it just looks off to me. Specifically his head. It feels small to me. But, it is a minor complaint.

But why Smallville of all places to make the setting? Finally get a Superman show with a good budget, go all out and keep the action in Metropolis.

Something about it just looks off to me. Specifically his head. It feels small to me. But, it is a minor complaint.
No I get that, and I don’t disagree. I’ve voiced my own thoughts on that forum plenty - basically I think it would look fine if they opened the collar and shaved down the shoulders to have more of a slope. But despite that nitpick I still think it’s of much higher quality and pops more on screen than his previous suit.

But why Smallville of all places to make the setting? Finally get a Superman show with a good budget, go all out and keep the action in Metropolis.

It fits the theme of the show. I think that is handled fine. I am sure Superman will end up in Metropolis a fair amount. He is Superman, getting places quickly is easy lol

To give us those Rebirth vibes, which I for one am VERY grateful for, as that may be my absolute favorite comics run. We saw from the pilot that his adventures will still take him to various cities anyway. Also I’m sure we’ll be getting more Metropolis flashbacks as well.

Yeah I gotta admit... I turned off Superman & Lois after about half an hour. Hoechlin, Tulloch and Walsh were all pretty good but I just found myself bored. Jock Superboy and Emo Superboy are as annoying as I expected them to be (though that “human participation trophy” line was good). Also, Clark and Lois are pretty dumb to think that the kids aren’t displaying any powers when Jock Superboy threw a football so powerful it cut down a tire swing like it’s nothing.

But more than anything, I think the Smallville setting just makes it feel so meh. I’ve seen CW Smallville before and honestly this just feels like more of the same to me. Lana has a D-bag husband instead of a D-bag boyfriend. Clark is struggling to tell his kids about his powers instead of his friends. Hormonal teenagers are competing for the same girl. I think it’s just the CW. They don’t have the budget or the talent to do more ambitious stuff, and when they try, you get embarrassingly bad crap like the Crisis crossover. But when they try to go smaller, we basically just get Smallville only with Clark and Lois in the place of Jon and Martha and Jock and Emo in the place of Clark.

I just don't see black people turning out for a Black superman film the way they turned out for Black Panther.

Black Panther showcased a futuristic yet culturely traditional fantasy fictional African nation. The movie also dealt with African diaspora's relations with Africans and colonialism. Things that will talk to a black audience. It also had the benefit of being a marvel film and marvel studios have a good track record that audiences trust.

We are most likely getting another traditional superman movie except with a black actor. Unless coates is making race a major component of his superman, I can't see anything that will draw a larger audience than previous recent superman films. JJ Abrams name isn't a guarantee of box office success either.
Yeah, i don't see it either. I also think that having well written Black female characters was also a plus for Black Panther, something I doubt this movie is going to have.

Yeah, i don't see it either. I also think that having well written Black female characters was also a plus for Black Panther, something I doubt this movie is going to have.

Yea Nakia, Shuri, and Okaye were all strong characters who had parts in the action and weren’t just love interests or damsels in distress. Actually sometimes the supporting cast overshadowed T’Challa a bit, IMO.

Yeah I gotta admit... I turned off Superman & Lois after about half an hour. Hoechlin, Tulloch and Walsh were all pretty good but I just found myself bored. Jock Superboy and Emo Superboy are as annoying as I expected them to be (though that “human participation trophy” line was good). Also, Clark and Lois are pretty dumb to think that the kids aren’t displaying any powers when Jock Superboy threw a football so powerful it cut down a tire swing like it’s nothing.

But more than anything, I think the Smallville setting just makes it feel so meh. I’ve seen CW Smallville before and honestly this just feels like more of the same to me. Lana has a D-bag husband instead of a D-bag boyfriend. Clark is struggling to tell his kids about his powers instead of his friends. Hormonal teenagers are competing for the same girl. I think it’s just the CW. They don’t have the budget or the talent to do more ambitious stuff, and when they try, you get embarrassingly bad crap like the Crisis crossover. But when they try to go smaller, we basically just get Smallville only with Clark and Lois in the place of Jon and Martha and Jock and Emo in the place of Clark.
The impression I'm getting from your thoughts is they should have used Smallville to train in secret on how to use and hide their powers while in public, and mental training to outgrow the emo and jock phase each son has.

The impression I'm getting from your thoughts is they should have used Smallville to train in secret on how to use and hide their powers while in public, and mental training to outgrow the emo and jock phase each son has.

Maybe? I don’t know. I think I might just be sick of seeing Smallville. I would honestly love to see a Superman movie or TV show where no scenes take place there. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be mentioned or Superman should be retconned to have grown up in Metropolis. I’d just like a break from it. It gives me bad flashbacks to the Welling era.

oKHVvdA.jpg

Maybe? I don’t know. I think I might just be sick of seeing Smallville. I would honestly love to see a Superman movie or TV show where no scenes take place there. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be mentioned or Superman should be retconned to have grown up in Metropolis. I’d just like a break from it. It gives me bad flashbacks to the Welling era.
Perhaps I should be grateful I haven't seen enough of Smallville to feel sick of it, or of the farm, or even of Welling himself being emo in the role.

Going back to Smallville is an important part of Post Crisis Superman, because he's the good son who visits the parents who took care of him and they give him advice or they have a good time like a family, and I appreciate that Byrne gave this concept when updating Superman for a new era after being the guy who inadvertently killed his parents in his teen years as Superboy. And I say that as someone who generally prefers the pre-Crisis version and stories of Clark Kent.

Superman II is without Smallville, so at least you have that. I wanted to say Superman III is another movie without it, then I remembered the plot with Lana Lang, and now I even remembered that her actress is Ma Kent from Smallville, making both her Superman related career choices sour points.

Perhaps I should be grateful I haven't seen enough of Smallville to feel sick of it, or of the farm, or even of Welling himself being emo in the role.

Going back to Smallville is an important part of Post Crisis Superman, because he's the good son who visits the parents who took care of him and they give him advice or they have a good time like a family, and I appreciate that Byrne gave this concept when updating Superman for a new era after being the guy who inadvertently killed his parents in his teen years as Superboy. And I say that as someone who generally prefers the pre-Crisis version and stories of Clark Kent.

Superman II is without Smallville, so at least you have that. I wanted to say Superman III is another movie without it, then I remembered the plot with Lana Lang, and now I even remembered that her actress is Ma Kent from Smallville, making both her Superman related career choices sour points.

Well hey, I hate Superman III as much as the next guy but Annette O’Toole was a total babe as Lana. Ironically, despite being weary of Smallville, the scenes there in Superman III are pretty much the only reason to watch the movie. Reeve and O’Toole have great chemistry and it’s a bit amusing to see Clark go to his high school reunion and all that. Unfortunately Richard Pryor, Richard Lester and the Salkinds ruin pretty much every other aspect of the movie except maybe the junkyard Superman vs. Superman fight. Actually, no. That’s terrible too. It makes no sense. Like, I can buy that cigarette tar Kryptonite (couldn’t they just use Red Kryptonite for this?) can somehow split Superman in two but it also can produce a pair of glasses and set of new clothes for him (which have a clean version of his costume underneath)? God that movie was awful.

Anyway though, I understand Smallville’s importance to the character I guess I’m just burned out on it overall.

Well hey, I hate Superman III as much as the next guy but Annette O’Toole was a total babe as Lana. Ironically, despite being weary of Smallville, the scenes there in Superman III are pretty much the only reason to watch the movie. Reeve and O’Toole have great chemistry and it’s a bit amusing to see Clark go to his high school reunion and all that. Unfortunately Richard Pryor, Richard Lester and the Salkinds ruin pretty much every other aspect of the movie except maybe the junkyard Superman vs. Superman fight. Actually, no. That’s terrible too. It makes no sense. Like, I can buy that cigarette tar Kryptonite (couldn’t they just use Red Kryptonite for this?) can somehow split Superman in two but it also can produce a pair of glasses and set of new clothes for him (which have a clean version of his costume underneath)? God that movie was awful.

Anyway though, I understand Smallville’s importance to the character I guess I’m just burned out on it overall.
Tar krytptonite... LOL. This rant made the funny nonsense even funnier, so thanks for that.

:funny:

Yea Nakia, Shuri, and Okaye were all strong characters who had parts in the action and weren’t just love interests or damsels in distress. Actually sometimes the supporting cast overshadowed T’Challa a bit, IMO.
The only black lead Superhero movie I expect to make as much impact as Black Panther did is a Storm movie. A storm movie that is as good as black panther with perfect casting would be huge.

Tar krytptonite... LOL. This rant made the funny nonsense even funnier, so thanks for that.

:funny:

The American Lung Association missed a golden opportunity for an anti-smoking ad back then.

“Smoking kills. And it turns Superman into an a**hole.”

The only black lead Superhero movie I expect to make as much impact as Black Panther did is a Storm movie. A storm movie that is as good as black panther with perfect casting would be huge.
You think maybe they should focus on her backstory in Egypt or Nigeria before joining the X-Men?

And as I type this question I had to remember X-Men: Apocalypse being set in 1983, and satellite dishes on every roof of a poor neighborhood/village in Egypt. This will always make me laugh.

The American Lung Association missed a golden opportunity for an anti-smoking ad back then.

“Smoking kills. And it turns Superman into an a**hole.”
Glorious

"Olympic fire is blown off, and the leaning tower of Pisa is leaning no more. Tar caused this."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"