Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did anyone here think Lex Luthor was black in Superman: TAS?

He literally has the same skin tone as Supes and many other characters on the show. It's the coloring of the show.

It's just that Luthor is drawn with thick lips combined with Clancy Brown's deep voice making some think that Lex is black.

Last edited:
Wandavision is an "okay" watch, unlike like the rest of the MCU, which I rewatch over and over. The premise is very interesting and the acting is fantastic, but the execution is severely lacking. IMO, they sacrificed story for mystery, which wasn't necessary and the payoffs for the mystery just aren't there.

There is one GREAT actor on that show paired with an okayish co-lead that he has some chemistry with surrounded by... Some good but not great performers, and one underappreciated comedic powerhouse...

And all of them are being wasted in something that I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is getting entertained or engaged by. It's been coasting on tickling the nostalgia bones (badly/ineptly) since the jump and it's "mystery box" narrative and... that's it. It's done nothing else.

It's just so very empty to me... But ya'll are loving it and asking for more bowls and... I don't understand. I just don't.

There is one GREAT actor on that show paired with an okayish co-lead that he has some chemistry with surrounded by... Some good but not great performers, and one underappreciated comedic powerhouse...

And all of them are being wasted in something that I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is getting entertained or engaged by. It's been coasting on tickling the nostalgia bones (badly/ineptly) since the jump and it's "mystery box" narrative and... that's it. It's done nothing else.

It's just so very empty to me... But ya'll are loving it and asking for more bowls and... I don't understand. I just don't.
You don't have to. Taste is a mysterious thing. I've been entertained all the way through, and found everyone's contributions to be of high quality.

giphy.gif

I wasn't sure how I was going to react to WandaVision since it was trying a very odd concept but I ended up loving it. Most things have just clicked for me and it's further established Wanda as my favorite female on-screen superhero and I hope she gets even more focus in the future.

Although as great as Elizabeth Olsen has been, Katheryn Hahn has been a bit of a show stealer.

Count me in as one very high on the show. It is very entertaining. When I was a younger SF, I normally didn't go to bed until like 11/12 and watched a lot of Nick at Nite. So I dig the various sitcom eras they incorporate into the show, and I think the show has delved into its themes of family and loss very well.

So yeah. Also not sorry :word:

I have not watched any of the show on release day. The wife and I watch it together, so even when I get a chance to watch it earlier in the day, I don't.

It goes a lot more smoothly during baby nap time, lol

And to date, not single Samuel Sterns appearance. It’s like Kevin Feige thinks Sitcom tv is too good for ol’ broccoli head!

And to date, not single Samuel Sterns appearance. It’s like Kevin Feige thinks Sitcom tv is too good for ol’ broccoli head!

Here's hoping we get this... Just with Tatianna and Tim when Shulkie rolls around.

13e2693ed24b7b8d1d70326f40d28896.gif

They’re afraid of using him. Green Lantern proved that mustachioed villains with giant foreheads don’t work on the big screen. :o

I don't care enough to watch Wanda Vision. Shows I expect to watch are Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Falcon & Winter Soldier.
You don't have to. Taste is a mysterious thing.
You can say that again, I'm still trying to figure how it works for me.

Having no affinity for live-action sitcoms, I don’t find Wandavision to be particularly good. A large part of the appeal for me comes from my interest in seeing how the mystery slowly unravels, and how the show gradually shifts gears from a light-hearted sitcom romp to the more conventional serious action oriented MCU thing we all expect.

The premise of a imaginary idealized fantasy dream world being lived in until someone realizes it’s not real and they need to escape from it is not really original as it’s been done before in superhero media and media in general. Look no further than the classic BTAS episode Perchance To Dream or heck look at Alan Moore’s For The Man Who Has Everything which was used for source material for a Justice League Unlimited episode once. But what is original is doing that basic idea in the form of homages to various sitcoms in a superhero show that’s part of a shared universe of films. That’s never been done before.

Now if this show wasn’t connected to a highly praised, highly successful billion dollar cinematic universe I’m not sure it would be getting half the praise it’s getting. I think the show has some good stuff but a lot of the time I’m just watching with mild amusement. It’s not particularly funny to me. For those who grew up loving those classic sitcoms like Bewitched and Nick At Night this show I’d imagine would be a total blast. For people like me who have never seen those shows, and quite frankly have no interest in doing so I’m mostly left kind of cold. It’s central conceit is quite fun, and I’m intrigued, and not bored but it isn’t my type of show...for the majority of the episodes, lol.

The show works in the sense it’s like watching a puzzle piece being put together. It’s good enough to watch for a first time, but I don’t see myself revisiting this show once it finishes, at least not as much as say the other Disney Plus Marvel shows. Oh well, ones mileage will vary.

Last edited:
After the first two episodes I posted that while Wandavision wasn't for me, I appreciated the creativity behind it. This was similar to how I felt about Legion. But unlike with the FX show, after the "real world" outside of the bubble was revealed the pieces clicked together for me. And like Darcy, I'm invested.

Ms. Schaeffer & Mr. Shakman and their team have put together a very compelling story about someone dealing (poorly) with loss via an extremely entertaining coping mechanism. For me it's up with The Boys and Watchmen at the pinnacle of superhero television.

I have to sit and watch Legion again one day on Hulu but I gave up half way into the first season.

I felt like either I wasn’t too smart or too sober to understand what they were trying to do. I got so confused.

The Shadow King scared the hell out of me.

I loved Legion and am still horribly bitter it didn't get a full blu ray release. Or even a proper DVD release come to think of it. Truth be told I think it's a bit messy, and season 2 gets absolutely lost, but it's wonderfully imaginative and off-beat.

I haven't started Wandavision yet. Thought I'd wait and binge it. I'm curious to see how weird it is, but I don't think it'll be weird enough for my liking.

I have to sit and watch Legion again one day on Hulu but I gave up half way into the first season.

I felt like either I wasn’t too smart or too sober to understand what they were trying to do. I got so confused.

The Shadow King scared the hell out of me.

I appreciated the creativity involved, but after watching the first season I realized I didn't care about any of the characters or what may or may not happen to them. A problem for me was that there was no "real world" to contrast with the craziness involving David and his chums. So I didn't tune in for the next season.

The issue isn't that he's an alien. It is that he's a rural farmboy from the heart of Trump country. And it isn't just some small part of his backstory. Clark Kent's upbringing in rural Kansas has always been a major part of his character taking up a large chunk of time exploring it. His race would absolutely be an issue in that environment.

Now, I'm not saying it can't work as an alternate take on the character with a bunch of major changes, but it would be a very different Clark Kent. He isn't like a Barry Allen or Hal Jordan where his race would have no impact at all.

I would say it goes a little beyond that. At its heart, the story of Superman is an immigrant allegory. In its original form, a specifically Jewish allegory, though you could reconceive it. The problem is. . . ultimately, the African American cultural experience *isn't* a tale of immigration, its a tale of slavery. Making Superman black ( and implicitly African American, because everyone in pop culture always ignores the more recent black immigrants and their own separate culture ) would change his underlying premise enough to make him, effectively, a different character ( see also: Icon ). This is why, by contrast, the Hispanic take on Superman from Justice League: Gods & Monsters *does* still work, since its fundamentally still an immigrant allegory, even if what that immigrant experience means is different.

( As an aside, the main reason why I would look askance at changing Hal Jordan's race, is not because Hal Jordan has to be white, but because you have Green Lantern's of pretty much every race already. Why change Hal's race when John Stewart is *right there*? Otherwise, of the Big Seven JLAers, while Superman probably should be white, and Batman *definitely* needs to be white, most of the rest are flexible. Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman can be whatever, and Wonder Woman can be pretty much anything other than "East Asian" or "Aryan Poster Child". Martian Manhunter. . . theoretically could be anything, but he's pretty much been adopted as black for decades, and I'm leery to change that. )

Him and Harvey Dent on BTAS both looked black.

Dent definitely ( which makes sense, given Billy Dee Williams ), though I feel Luther was more ambiguous. I totally could see an African American Lex Luther, especially since the more recent iterations have him as a bootstrap billionaire. Might accidentally induce people to mistake him for the hero of the story, but hell, not like people don't valorize Lex Luther already. It might be worth it on both the "black people can aspire to the same heights of magnificent villainy as white people" and "sociopathic narcissistic megalomania isn't just a white people thing" angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"