Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sebastian Stan is just delivering award worthy performances on that damn show. He makes it worth it, and this is coming from someone who had zero interest in this.

I’m still moved by that de-programming scene from last week.

Not gonna lie, I kind of glazed over during the whole part with his sister and the boat.

Sebastian Stan is just delivering award worthy performances on that damn show. He makes it worth it, and this is coming from someone who had zero interest in this.

He's an underrated actor, IMO. He was good on the TV shows Kings and Political Animals like a decade ago, and he was good in I, Tonya (while all anyone talked about were Robbie and Janney, not that they weren't good too). I'm glad he's getting a little more notice for his acting.

I really think this year Marvel Studios could finally achieve acting nominees finally. Odds:
  • Wandavision as best limited Series (4th ranked)
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier as limited Series (10th ranked)
  • Elizabeth Olsen as best actress (4th ranked)
  • Paul Bettany as best actor (3rd ranked)
  • Sebastian Stan/Anthony Mackie as best actor (11th/10th ranked)
  • Kathryn Hahn as best supp. actress (2nd ranked)
  • Teynonah Parris as best supp. actress (5th ranked)
  • Daniel Brühl/Wyatt Russell as best supp. actor (17th/18th ranked)
Lets see how it will turn out in the end but F&WS could still be pushed.

Source: GoldDerby - You vs. Experts Predict Hollywood Races

You're quite mistaken if you think my issue with Ragnarok Thor has anything to do with power levels or any of that nonsense. I don't care how powerful they make him. What I want is a characterisation that treats the character with respect.

I wasn't actually talking about Endgame. And again, this has nothing to do with power levels. I wouldn't care if in the next movie Thor lifted the entire Earth with his pinky finger if we still get this idiotic man-child.
Thor won't go back. The entire Marvel universe is filled with Jokers and Quick-witted spunky characters.

This new Thor fits much better than the previous version that we saw in Thor 1&2. I remember someone saying that, it makes sense for this new Thor to act like he did in Ragnarok due to the influences of being on Earth. To the rigid world of Asgard and beyond, Thor has been different and affected by his trip to Earth.

Imo, his character growth even surpassed Loki's in Ragnarok.

I really think this year Marvel Studios could finally achieve acting nominees finally. Odds:
  • Wandavision as best limited Series (4th ranked)
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier as limited Series (10th ranked)
  • Elizabeth Olsen as best actress (4th ranked)
  • Paul Bettany as best actor (3rd ranked)
  • Sebastian Stan/Anthony Mackie as best actor (11th/10th ranked)
  • Kathryn Hahn as best supp. actress (2nd ranked)
  • Teynonah Parris as best supp. actress (5th ranked)
  • Daniel Brühl/Wyatt Russell as best supp. actor (17th/18th ranked)
Lets see how it will turn out in the end but F&WS could still be pushed.

Source: GoldDerby - You vs. Experts Predict Hollywood Races

I think both Olsen and Bettany were magnificent in Wandavision, but I don't know if they'll get any recognition. I'm also surprised by Stan's acting in FatWS, actually liking him more than Mackie.

Thor won't go back. The entire Marvel universe is filled with Jokers and Quick-witted spunky characters.

This new Thor fits much better than the previous version that we saw in Thor 1&2. I remember someone saying that, it makes sense for this new Thor to act like he did in Ragnarok due to the influences of being on Earth. To the rigid world of Asgard and beyond, Thor has been different and affected by his trip to Earth.

Imo, his character growth even surpassed Loki's in Ragnarok.

More importantly, it plays into Hemsworth's limited strengths as an actor.

I never said Taika brought no effort. He clearly put his "everything needs to be funny" stamp on the movie.

The lack of effort came from Marvel, who eagerly lapped up every whacky idea Taika had, bcause they clearly thought it would instantly be the next Guardians.

I will say to this what I would say to people mad at Zack Snyder's DC movies not continuing...

Movies are, first and foremost, a business. The people who make them are about art, but the people who fund them want money. They don't get made otherwise. And no matter how much we may want to think otherwise, films are made to appeal to a general audience, not specifically comic book fans. If the general audience doesn't like a movie and it under-performs according to the studio's desire, then changes will be made. That's just how it is.

Marvel gave us traditional Thor movies, the general audience didn't take as well to them as needed, so they did what they needed to make the series more popular. I greatly prefer the first Thor film's style and tone, but I didn't get offended by the style change for Ragnarok. I knew that it was just the way things were gonna go. Despite that, I think Ragnarok is a great movie--but I won't lie, I wish they'd all stayed the way the first film had been.

Some things in life you just gotta get over. Through the X-Men movies I realized that even at their best, no comic book movie is ever going to be as good as the comics themselves. No matter how accurate any given CBM might be, they are always the watered-down, cliff's notes, general audience-pleasing versions. Sometimes they can make improvements (Thanos), but I just go in expecting an entertaining movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

I maintain that the show is designed to be binged. The pacing is not for a week to week episodic release.
Maybe that's why it's not working for me. There's no quicker way for me to fall-off on a show than if I try and binge watch it. I burn out almost every single time.

And that's not to mention that I think most shows designed around binging are bloated and unfocused and would benefit from either just trimming all the fat and making a movie, or, keep the serialized story-telling but don't forget to make distinct episodes that still have a beginning a middle and an end.

Last edited:
Anyone think, even with three solo movies, and meaty supporting roles in the Avengers/Cap/spidey movies, we’ve never truly seen a techno thriller Iron Man movie in the style of mid-00 comics?

Cap is lucky. He got his brubaker style movie in the winter soldier. But iron man seemed limited by being the character that set the overall tone of the MCU. The closest Iron Man came to that tone, ironically, was the final third of Civil War.

imagine a solo movie about Iron Man with that tone? A shame.

Maybe that's why it's not working for me. There's no quicker way for me to fall-off on a show than if I try and binge watch it. I burn out almost every single time.

And that's to mention that I think most shows designed around binging are bloated and unfocused and would benefit from either just trimming all the fat and making a movie, or, keep the serialized story-telling but don't forget to make distinct episodes that still have a beginning a middle and an end.

I would like to mention, the Boys does handle episodes better, in that they have an episode structure and don't feel like they end on a beat of a movie. The Boys still has issues with episode length.

I would like to mention, the Boys does handle episodes better, in that they have an episode structure and don't feel like they end on a beat of a movie. The Boys still has issues with episode length.
One day, I will watch more than just the first episode.

I can't help but to think John Walker's Captain America is Snyder interpretation only written with a little bit more depth.

And then when he explains it he’d say something profound like “Wake the f up! America was found on bloodshed and that’s why my Cap kills! If you can’t see that, grow the f up!”

I said it before but my issue with F&WS so far is I find Zemo and Walker far more interesting than Sam and Bucky

The Boys I have not watched so I freely admit to blind judgment, but from what I know about it, it doesn't feel like it's for me.

I said it before but my issue with F&WS so far is I find Zemo and Walker far more interesting than Sam and Bucky
I can see your point. I do think that Sam and Bucky have been more interesting here than in any of the films they've previously appeared in, which is to be expected since they're given much more screentime. I also think that the writers have given more depth to Zemo and Walker compared to Sam and Bucky because we don't know them as well as characters since Zemo only appeared in one film prior to this and Walker is brand new to the MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"