Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Falcon and Winter Soldier is pretty disappointing to me. So far, it's all about Zemo and the titular characters' chemistry for me - but it's just lacking in substance to fill the running time. It feels like a really good Captain America 4 idea that Marvel wasn't going to make, so someone padded it out into a TV show.

I would also like to congratulate Sly Stallone for killing a lot of me curiousity over Suicide Squad.

I can see your point. I do think that Sam and Bucky have been more interesting here than in any of the films they've previously appeared in, which is to be expected since they're given much more screentime. I also think that the writers have given more depth to Zemo and Walker compared to Sam and Bucky because we don't know them as well as characters since Zemo only appeared in one film prior to this and Walker is brand new to the MCU.
Zemo was already one of, if not my favorite MCU villain and I typically like seeing new characters and how they'll get integrated into the bigger scheme of things, so my interest in Walker lies there. Not to mention I just find him to be a compelling character.

How much of it has to do with Anthony Mackie not being that impressive an actor? Everybody’s been better than him. Sebastian Stan has been superior. Wyatt Russel is far more interesting with far less screen time. The actor that plays Zeno is better. Even Agent Carter made a better impression than Mackie.

How much of it has to do with Anthony Mackie not being that impressive an actor? Everybody’s been better than him. Sebastian Stan has been superior. Wyatt Russel is far more interesting with far less screen time. The actor that plays Zeno is better. Even Agent Carter made a better impression than Mackie.
I wouldn't blame Mackie. He really doesn't have a lot to work with here. It's an inert character who isn't helping drive the plot so much as he's just reacting to it and along for the ride.

He is now a very proud member of Mar-a-lago...
X2eiLiY.jpg

I wouldn't blame Mackie. He really doesn't have a lot to work with here. It's an inert character who isn't helping drive the plot so much as he's just reacting to it and along for the ride.

Yeah, its silly to act like Mackie is the problem here.

Honestly, Falcon would probably be more popular of they pulled a Downey Jr./Hemsworth and essentially turned him into the superhero version of the guy playing him.

Very strange when he is supposed to be Captain America at the end.

I think the problem Mackie is having is that the parts that would allow him to shine are also the parts that the show doesn't seem to want to focus on. There are a lot of pieces to this story that aren't really meshing that well for me. Drop Zemo. Drop Flag Smasher. Drop Sharon Carter. Drop Power Broker. Focus on the issue of his family and nuCap and Isiah Bradley, Mackie would probably be doing amazing. For a show called Falcon and Winter Soldier, he doesn't feel like he is one of the headliners.

I think the problem Mackie is having is that the parts that would allow him to shine are also the parts that the show doesn't seem to want to focus on. There are a lot of pieces to this story that aren't really meshing that well for me. Drop Zemo. Drop Flag Smasher. Drop Sharon Carter. Drop Power Broker. Focus on the issue of his family and nuCap and Isiah Bradley, Mackie would probably be doing amazing. For a show called Falcon and Winter Soldier, he doesn't feel like he is one of the headliners.
That's a lot of plot to wrap up in two episodes of what has not been a super fast paced show. I don't know how they stick this landing.

That's a lot of plot to wrap up in two episodes of what has not been a super fast paced show. I don't know how they stick this landing.

To be fair, I haven't watched episode 4. Its enough though that I have decided I may as well just keep up via gif spoilers.

Honestly, Walker is the character I'm most interested in, or at least the one I perk up for the most when he's on screen. I think the show skipped a character beat or two in the middle there, but at least I know who this guy is, and he's actively pushing the story forward and escalating it in a way that is internally consistent.

Zemo is undroppable, but at the same time he’s going to steal MVP from whoever’s show it is. What to do, life is hard. :csad:

The next episode is 60 minutes, so I expect things to kick into gear a little more. Also the way Ep 4 ended that’s got to be the genesis for the final act.

But honestly the show’s been working for me as a slow burn deconstruction about what it means to be “Captain America” in the 2020s.

I do think Falcon and Winter Soldier would benefit from a binge watch compared to weekly.

And in other news, I finally saw New Mutants. I really enjoyed it. Not a perfect movie, could have done with some extra work, sure. But I really liked the cast. Replace the racist director, and I would have been down for a sequel. Or even better, team up with Mangold for a X-23/New Mutants movie. Alas, not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"