Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did like that cast. That is the best thing I can say about it.

I found New Mutants...watchable. Not the worst of the Fox-men films, at least.

I watched New Mutants recently and didn't think it was that great, unfortunately. I liked parts of it, Magik being the standout. There wasn't an obvious, glaring flaw, it just didn't really connect for me.

It felt like a whole portion of New Mutants was removed from the final film. It needed a good 20 minutes of character development before the sh** hits the fan.

Oh yeah, some work was definitely needed. But, I just enjoyed the cast. Maisie Williams was adorable as Rahne.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Not to be confused with THE Wolverine, which I unabashedly love. I might also dislike The Last Stand more than New Mutants as well, but I'd have to rewatch it to be sure. And I don't wanna.
I get a lot of laughs out of Origins, but it is pretty terrible. The two I like watching the least are Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. Can't get through them. I love the first two acts of The Wolverine.

I’ll second The Wolverine love. The last act needed to be toned down, but otherwise I think it’s one of my favourite CBMs.

The fact that Mangold didn’t get to do an X-23 film with Dafne Keen irks me to no end....but I’m glad he’s directing Indy 5.
I don't like the crazier elements of the last act, but it is the ninja fight that lets me down. Right before that, the film had one of my favorite action scenes in any movie really, and then they just play it like a a different flick for the rest of it.

For the first two acts, it is my favorite X-Men flick, even with whatever Viper was doing. One of my favorite CBMs. Still rather enjoy it.

Agree on Mangold. I have liked him since his 3:10 to Yuma/Knight and Day double feature. Happy that after he lost Boba, he got Indy.

I saw the New Mutants for the first time this week, too, and it's easily top half of the fox films for me. Unquestionably way better than TLS, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix or Origins. Easily better for me, even, than X1 which has aged horribly over the years.

It's not as good as X2, DoFP or Logan but put it up against any of the others and it's at least as good if not better.

The only significant thing I wish they'd done differently is just pick a side whether it's really supposed to be a horror movie or not because all the horror elements of the first half of the film don't really amount to much in a story that ultimately just is not a horror movie at all. And the moment where Illyana finds her file is kind of weirdly rushed, but that could've been fixed with a quick rewrite of that single scene.

Otherwise, I loved it. I did think Dani and Sam could potentially have been cast with someone better, but the people they got were good enough not to drag the movie down and Magik and Wolfsbane were easily some of the best castings Fox ever had.

I think the problem Mackie is having is that the parts that would allow him to shine are also the parts that the show doesn't seem to want to focus on. There are a lot of pieces to this story that aren't really meshing that well for me. Drop Zemo. Drop Flag Smasher. Drop Sharon Carter. Drop Power Broker. Focus on the issue of his family and nuCap and Isiah Bradley, Mackie would probably be doing amazing. For a show called Falcon and Winter Soldier, he doesn't feel like he is one of the headliners.

If this were a Netflix Defenders show we would have already had an hour-long origin episode for Sam's sister. But this show, unlike the previous D Plus Marvel offering, has too many characters for such a short run time.

I would have dropped the focus on the Flag Smashers, who have the Ultron problem of not having a clear and compelling goal and aren't particularly interesting. In this cleaner narrative the goal of our boys is to stop the spread of the existing vials and find the identity of the Power Broker so they can shut the operation down.

I will also echo The Wolverine love. The last act really hurts what I found to be a pretty excellent film. I dare say if it had a better ending, or just wrapped up after Shingen, I'd probably prefer it to Logan.

The extended edition improves the pacing of the finale a bit for me, but it is not a cure all. Why oh why wasn't there just a stylish and simple ninja fight to cap it all off

Love The Wolverine....until Silver Samurai comes in. I love me some goofy comic book stuff, but that was a type of goofy that clashed with the rest of the film. Completely takes me out of the movie. I love it basically until then.

Ed Brubaker was on an episode of Fatman On Batman recently(which I can’t post due to language) and it’s pretty heartbreaking. He basically says that Marvel doesn’t really pay him that much for his co-creation - the Winter Soldier despite how much they use the character, and he was initially barred from going to the after party.

Kind of brings to mind this article:

Thanos Creator Was Paid More for 'Batman v. Superman' Than All Marvel Movies Combined

Love The Wolverine....until Silver Samurai comes in. I love me some goofy comic book stuff, but that was a type of goofy that clashed with the rest of the film. Completely takes me out of the movie. I love it basically until then.

As goofy as the Samurai is, it still has the part of the film that actually makes me cringe in disgust....

I found New Mutants...watchable. Not the worst of the Fox-men films, at least.
Yeah it's just pretty meh and forgettable. Not sure I'd ever really watch it again since it's easily skippable if you're doing a X-Men marathon but it's not the worst of the Fox movies. Just sucks they went out on a whimper like that.

I used to be okay with the X-Men being separate from the MCU, especially since First Class and DoFP were really good but then they turned around and released Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

Shazam is definitely more entertaining.

Low bar. :p Though really, I've not heard anything bad about Shazam.

I am keeping my fingers crossed about the Black Adam movie. I mean, Dwayne Johnson is good, Black Adam is a solid character with great anti-hero potential, *buuuuut*. . . it feels very much like it runs the risk of "Villain before hero because villains are awesome and heroes suck". Doubly so since it apparently involves the JSA. I would hate for the JSA to be wasted as "dorky naive heroes getting beaten up and shown ineffective by the kewl edgy villain". I'd also hate for Black Adam to be reduced to another 90s "the best thing for a character is to be violent and amoral" cliche, versus the much more appealing "he is a 'hero' from a context thousands of years old and thus culture clash" take.

I can't help but to think John Walker's Captain America is Snyder interpretation only written with a little bit more depth.

Eh, not really. After all, if Snyder were writing him, he'd probably view the usage of brutal violence as a valorizing moment that establishes why he's an awesome hero. ;)

The Boys I have not watched so I freely admit to blind judgment, but from what I know about it, it doesn't feel like it's for me.

For me, while I would never watch the thing ( I have zero interest in a pitch dark iron age parody of superheroics, and yes I am specifically rejecting the usage of the word 'deconstruction' here ), I do find one thing hilarious about it. Specifically, its a TV show all about revealing how the world famous beloved superhero team is actually full of awful people, their heroism lies, and their leader especially being a complete monster, with the only hope coming from the courage if ruthless efforts of normal humans fighting the good fight against superpowered tyranny. And its a show produced by a giant global megacorporation with its hands in everything, run by a bald billionaire with a penchant for cutting edge technology including space travel.

Which is to say, The Boys is inadvertently the best example of "What would anti-Justice League propaganda produced by Lex Luther" look like. *eg*

For me, while I would never watch the thing ( I have zero interest in a pitch dark iron age parody of superheroics, and yes I am specifically rejecting the usage of the word 'deconstruction' here ), I do find one thing hilarious about it. Specifically, its a TV show all about revealing how the world famous beloved superhero team is actually full of awful people, their heroism lies, and their leader especially being a complete monster, with the only hope coming from the courage if ruthless efforts of normal humans fighting the good fight against superpowered tyranny. And its a show produced by a giant global megacorporation with its hands in everything, run by a bald billionaire with a penchant for cutting edge technology including space travel.

Which is to say, The Boys is inadvertently the best example of "What would anti-Justice League propaganda produced by Lex Luther" look like. *eg*

I love The Boys, and I agree with staying away from the deconstruction description. I see the series more as a celebration than a parody of superhero stuff, and it has the heart and humor of the best MCU efforts. Just with more blood, gore and the C word.

Shazam is perfection.

tumblr_pokkr37PXs1x0bvwko4_540.gifv

Shazam is perfection.

tumblr_pokkr37PXs1x0bvwko4_540.gifv

I enjoyed the movie, but I have to disagree on the ill fitting muscle suit. If New Line wanted somebody that swole they should have just cast John Cena. Mr. Levi is a tall and fit individual, and the characer doesn't need to be THAT massive. So I am hoping they deflate the suit a smidge for the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"