Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Spielberg ever made a comment about Marvel movies?
He's auteur 1 in my first post on this page, and his actual quote is nothing that should be considered controversial: "Superhero movies will go the way of the Westerns"

The auteurs are too predictable. You know they will be moaning again that it was only luck and circumstance that led to Thor: The Dark World turning into a masterpiece rather than a practise that can be repeated through elite skills alone. Bored of it. :dry:
:lmao:

Shang-chi is definitely the superior Marvel movie this year but I'm somewhat surprised at how many people have cooled down on Black Widow. I tuhought it was really solid. I definitely see "watered down Cap 2", it's definitely mid-tier Marvel, but for my money that's a cut above most blockbusters.
I loved Black Widow when I first saw it and I still love it. I don't get why all of a sudden people are acting like its the worst marvel movie. Shangchi is better but doesn't mean Black widow is a bad movie.

Didn’t the Punisher famously try to murder Norman Osborn, fail, and then get brutally dismembered by one of his henchman and flushed down a sewer?

If he can’t handle a bipolar Willem Dafoe then what’s he gonna do to the clown? :o

Didn’t the Punisher famously try to murder Norman Osborn, fail, and then get brutally dismembered by one of his henchman and flushed down a sewer?

If he can’t handle a bipolar Willem Dafoe then what’s he gonna do to the clown? :o
Frank got better though.

He was a Frankenstein's monster for a bit... But he's good.

Frank got better though.

He was a Frankenstein's monster for a bit... But he's good.

Frank Castle....Frankenstein....Frankencastle.....

giphy.gif

Dammit we can still have a Gargoyles Cinematic Universe! They can even finesse it and put Gargoyles as part of the MCU.

In the wake of Tony Starks’ death, David Xanatos rises as the new zillionaire to watch. Except he’s the maniacal inverse of Tony.

Get Denzel as Goliath, Halle Berry for Elisa and maybe Martin Kove for Hudson and we got a party.

6AD4078A-F3E4-4D93-AA55-772E64FAD84B.gif

As pretentious as I feel some aspects of his films may be, I do appreciate Nolan's honesty about his love for the Fast & Furious franchise and Michael Bay movies. Not everything needs to be an arthouse movie but at the same time, a lot of these filmmakers can step their game up instead of just blaming Marvel for what they don't like about the film industry.

But back to Villeneuve, I'd have loved it if the follow up question was "and what do you think about DC movies?" just to see him sweat at the possibility of upsetting WB with that answer. :o

Honestly, in retrospect, I can. . . sort of see an artistic link between Nolan and Bay or the F&F movies. Sure, Nolan is much better at establishing tone and theme, and directing better quality of actors, but ultimately he also really likes to do the more intellectual equivalent of "Here is a set piece than I am now going to explode". Sure, sometimes those scenarios are metaphorical rather than physical, but there is a bit of the same underlying "I create a rube goldberg contraption, set it in motion, and then watch it come to its conclusion".

IIRC Spielberg also praised Black Panther. He's been one of the people who was warning about a Hollywood crash for years that essentially crowds out smaller movies, so I can't imagine he's too thrilled about superheroes as a genre, but he's definitely been diplomatic when asked.

As well he should, since he spent most of his career making essentially the same kind of movies Marvel Studios makes today. Sure, they weren't specifically adaptations of specific existing properties, but stuff like ET, Jaws, and Star Wars were absolutely "pop culture" adaptations of existing styles of stories, which aimed to be good movies first and high art second ( or never ). Which is why we still talk about them today as benchmark cultural and artistic achievements, while "artistic" movies half their age are long since forgotten.

Oh, and regarding Westerns, I wish more commentators making that comparison would recognize the *other* factor besides cultural importance that "killed" the Western: labor. Or more specifically, Westerns *used* to be cheap to make, because there was a large and ready supply of trained stage cowboys, animal handlers, and other such personnel nearby Hollywood, as a side effect of both the actual ranching industry and more specifically the "old west shows". Abundant skilled labor meant that doing any kind of Western was cheap, especially since the location shooting was also convenient. Fast forward a couple decades, and the labor pool has declined as people retired or died and weren't replaced, Westerns are no longer dirt cheap to make, and coincidentally Hollywood stops making nearly as many of them, because they now cost the full normal "costumed period piece" budgets.

Honestly, in retrospect, I can. . . sort of see an artistic link between Nolan and Bay or the F&F movies. Sure, Nolan is much better at establishing tone and theme, and directing better quality of actors, but ultimately he also really likes to do the more intellectual equivalent of "Here is a set piece than I am now going to explode". Sure, sometimes those scenarios are metaphorical rather than physical, but there is a bit of the same underlying "I create a rube goldberg contraption, set it in motion, and then watch it come to its conclusion".
I’m just waiting for him to use an actual atomic bomb for his Oppenheimer biopic. :o

I’m curious if this movie he’s making about a guy who makes bombs will ironically enough be Nolan’s first box office bomb.

and superhero movies.

Yikes.

What's annoying about this isn't that he has this opinion. It's that he said it oblivious to the fact that the movie has always had plenty of detractors saying things like this for the past decade. As if he's the first person daring enough to go against the grain and finally set the sheeple all straight. :rolleyes:

But also, the "died making it" thing is such an ignorant, crappy thing to say. Always was and still is. Do better.

Twitter is such a bad thing for our collective mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"