• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically Greg was not impressed. He played a 360 version of the game because as told to him by Beenox, that is the version they are concentrating on. That's a little weird, I guess the current gen prob won't have anything better than the previous one. He said the graphics looked ok but there were flat textures though he said he was spoiled after playing a lot of Infamous SS.

He goes on to say the game looks very much like the first one meaning it's "not pretty and highly repetitive." He did like the web swinging and said you have to get into a rhythm to be successful at it but didn't say that he preferred it to SM2s system or didn't even make a comparison. Combat reuses a lot of the same animations but they added things like countering several attackers at once, etc. He commented on the Hero/Menace system and said if you complete a random mission/crime and do it to 100% success you get reward points and are labeled as a hero. If you do anything less, you get labeled a menace and JJJ makes comments about you in the paper. No extra points of course but he said there's absolutely no benefit to being a menace. Sounds kinda lame to me.

Final bit was about playing as Peter Parker. You get to walk around and have conversations with people, like a mission where you go to Wilson Fisk's house for a party or something like that...you get to choose from a set of choices as to what dialogue you'd like to say or ask and then characters respond to you. This was a feature that was in WoS. And here in ASM2, just like in WoS, the dialogue is totally story related, there's no points to be earned and you can skip thru everything. Again, sounds kinda lame to me.

He closes in saying that just like the previous ASM game, all this stuff sounds good on the surface but we'll just have to wait to see how everything comes together. Overall I'd say he was very lukewarm about the game and didn't come away as the game was great. Which is weird cause he usually hypes the crap outta this stuff. My guess is the game is probably gonna get around a 6-7/10.
So Kingpin's existence there might be the same as his in Web of Shadows? Not a boss to fight?

after that ign video I am less excited, I really want to see a lot more of the web swinging because that's the most important thing for me.

I feel like it will be a very slight upgrade on the first with the web swinging being more fun. Just based on that video it looks better. I will still probably be disappointed with the city, anything thats not GTAIV New York will disappoint me so...

after that ign video I am less excited, I really want to see a lot more of the web swinging because that's the most important thing for me.
IGN almost never get anyone excited about a Spidey video game
At least not after Spider-Man 2, the only exception is Shattered Dimensions

I'm still going to get it - after a hard day's work, nothing better than coming home and duking it out with Electro :D

You drive trucks with him?

:oldrazz:

You know, that would be awesome :D

Right now though, it's all about Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls for me ;)
I'll still be getting TASM2 game, I can't resist the urge to webswing lol

wait so their focus is on current gen?? I really don't know if that's good or bad

still, the footage we've gotten is from the next gen?

wait so their focus is on current gen?? I really don't know if that's good or bad

still, the footage we've gotten is from the next gen?
Nope. All the footage we've seen has been Xbox360. Well, the gameplay anyways.

It makes perfect sense to give footage of the version they focus on

However it doesn't make sense to focus on an older platform when people are paying good money to play it on a newer one...

More people have the older consoles so they'll make more money on them

However it doesn't make sense to focus on an older platform when people are paying good money to play it on a newer one...
The new generation is still fresh, not outshining the previous generation yet
It makes more sense to focus on the 360 gen than to focus on the XBox1 generation. Spider-Man 3 for the PS3 generation got less attention with the existence of the PS2 version, and not everyone jumped to the PS3 generation

The new generation is still fresh, not outshining the previous generation yet
It makes more sense to focus on the 360 gen than to focus on the XBox1 generation. Spider-Man 3 for the PS3 generation got less attention with the existence of the PS2 version, and not everyone jumped to the PS3 generation

Um that's not true. Sm3 on ps2 got less attention and it got another developer. The game looked horrible and it played horrible too.

I asked them if the webswinging can be upgraded at all. I haven't seen any iconic Spiderman poses yet. I they didn't just loop the swing animation so that it does the same thing over and over. Spiderman uses a variety of poses in the comics and now the new movie. I would like to see more varied swing poses and movements to mix it up. That was an issue in ASM1. He uses the same animation over and over again.

All they did was add the right left feature. SM2 just felt like the physics were right, it felt like you were actually swinging through the city. This swinging looks empty. It's like having bad flying mechanics in a Superman game, it ruins everything. The majority of their efforts should have been correcting those mistakes in that department opposed to all the other crap they're trying to incorporate to make the game, "innovative". Bad priorities, that's all.

Um that's not true. Sm3 on ps2 got less attention and it got another developer. The game looked horrible and it played horrible too.
The PS3 version of Spider-Man 3 got less attention at the time of transition, Web of Shadows got clearly more attention than Spider-Man 3 cause the PS3 generation had more than a year after that, more people got systems from that generation, and the Wii had a similar version with Web of Shadows

To keep Amazing Spider-Man with a fresh coat of paint (some will call amazing Spider-Man 2 that) mainly on the same generation will feel less of a ripoff to some

All they did was add the right left feature. SM2 just felt like the physics were right, it felt like you were actually swinging through the city. This swinging looks empty. It's like having bad flying mechanics in a Superman game, it ruins everything. The majority of their efforts should have been correcting those mistakes in that department opposed to all the other crap they're trying to incorporate to make the game, "innovative". Bad priorities, that's all.

Yeah you could feel the webline fire each time and the progression to the next line was smooth becAuse of the momentum at the bottom of the swing mechanic. From what I can see in the footage there is no bottom of the swing in this. Its like it doesnt matter where you are in the swing. You just jump right on to the next one. I hope im wrong though.

I just wish we could stress to them what we really want and see them execute it. Honestly, all I want is the Sm2 swing system but with more poses, the ability to climb the web, the ability to do loops (doesnt look possible btw), and bring back the tricks. And finally please add back in manual weblines and the basic stuff we should be able to do.(Tie up, Web Blast, Yank, Lift, Spin, web dome, and finally the advanced ability to make giant web nets and cocoons.)

And last but not least......a targeting system for webbing. Wouldn't it be cool if we could aim our webbing anywhere and not always automatically hit our targets?

The targeting mechanic from Infamous would be perfect in a Spiderman game. Able to switch over the shoulder sides to get better views. Stick to walls while still aiming and shooting. It also allowed running and gunning, shooting from behind cover.

Nope. All the footage we've seen has been Xbox360. Well, the gameplay anyways.

the gameplay doesn't look any different from the trailers in terms of quality so I guess we could presume it's all from the old gen version

which begs the question, when are we gonna see the next gen one? regardless of them focusing on the old gen, it would be pretty dumb not to show any next gen footage before the release

Not only is Greg's words a concern, but when you look at the clips you clearly see that the combat looks exactly as iffy as in ASM. The transitions between moves are so whacky! Ugh! There's no flow at all to it!

Also, the animations when swinging sometimes seem to look awful. The physics look clearly wrong when he lets go of the web. It looks good when you go upwards, but when you release earlier to move more forward (which obviously should be the most common way of swinging) it looks very weird.

Not interested in this anymore.

I have no doubt that I will find some enjoyment in this game, if we want the dream Spider-Man game I have a feeling it won't be from a movie game, anyone else think we should let another developer have a go after this? Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun with Beenox's games, but I think they have trouble with creating a fluid looking game, as you guys have noticed with the combat. Almost every Beenox Spider-Man game seems to suffer from this. I do think this game has some nice animations but some of them are awkward.

I like Beenox's passion for Spider-Man, they're fans and I like that but I think we need to try a different company to delevop, see what they bring and hope they share the same passion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"