The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

She was a good character without a defined arc.

To me, it's more like "a good and likable actress doing the most of what little she had to work with."

(Though she was cringy AF in TASM2, as everyone involved was.)

According to my timezone, you were one day late in celebrating it.
Happy belated anniversary to this movie. :word:

Crazy I watched this movie the other day, unaware of the anniversary haha.

Didn't care for it as much as I used to though... :/

I think in retrospect killing Captain Stacy was a mistake. And there should have been a few more scenes between him and Peter. Or even him and Spider-Man. The Lizard would have been a more interesting villain if they stayed closer to the source material.

And knowing Ben's Killer got away and was not a plot point revisited, bugs the hell out of me. When the movie was first released I just rolled with it.

I don't mind that he didn't find the killer, the idea of finding multiple lookalikes in a city that large made sense to me, and it's actually an interesting idea to be taken with an amateur Spider-Man.

I can agree with that. As I said, when the movie first came out I was interested in that change and where it would go. But it didn't go anywhere.

My fiance still digs Amazing more than the latest (and greatest) incarnation, so it's been fun going back and forth with her. But I'm done with this version of the character. Fun while it lasted but in my mind I can now go see a movie (soon to be series) with the real Spider-Man.

Well, I still dig the ASM1 costume, so I may watch the movie here and there to see it in action.

Your fiance is taking crazy pills. :p

But seriously, I totally agree with your comment. I enjoyed this series for what it was while it was out, but the shine is gone. Homecoming has put this series in a deep grave. Although I'll always appreciate the things it got right, overall the rewatchability factor just isn't there like it still is for the Raimi films and will be for the newest one.

I've seen the movie twice, she has only seen it once and wasn't able to focus due to the guy sitting next to us drenched in cologne. She said she would like to see it again so there's still hope, haha.

Seems to be she just really enjoyed the destined-for-tragedy romance between Peter and Gwen. Whereas I can see the inconsistencies with character adaptation she doesn't have to worry about it and can enjoy it as it is presented. Maybe I'm envious in that regard.

I've seen the movie twice, she has only seen it once and wasn't able to focus due to the guy sitting next to us drenched in cologne. She said she would like to see it again so there's still hope, haha.

Seems to be she just really enjoyed the destined-for-tragedy romance between Peter and Gwen. Whereas I can see the inconsistencies with character adaptation she doesn't have to worry about it and can enjoy it as it is presented. Maybe I'm envious in that regard.

Only joking, rest assured I didn't mean any harm. Hope she enjoys the second viewing more!

In all honesty, the romance was the saving grace/best part of the TASM franchise by far. Character adaptations and changes are part of the game, just look at Homecoming. The biggest problem with the TASM series is that they just aren't extremely well-made films.

I'm sitting here, in this lonely echo chamber, where nobody will come in and call me a troll for bringing up a dead thread in a dead message board.

With such uninspired reputation this movie has, I wonder if I can make this a memeable duology, or even a memeable movie.

I saw a video on the internet.gif

This stuff is not even treated like the Star Wars prequels of 'So terrible they deserve to be discussed and bashed mercilessly through the internet', it's more like 'MEH' - 'Just bad', with a handful of people calling this stuff 'terrible', at least when compared to the Jar Jar prequels trilogy.

The most this is talked about is when someone on YouTube say 'Them movies are bland excrement', a couple of hundred people agree by liking the comment.

These two movies even got so bad a reputation that CinemaWins guy refuses to watch them again to make videos on them, he clearly alluded to that in a couple or more of his videos.

And now.. counting the time before the Joker comes in to say the usual "Rightfully so. Those movies are terrible in every conceivable way".

This movie is just so bland. It does everything the first Spider-Man movie does but does it blander and less memorably, along with a few cosmetic changes that act as though they merit the movie existing. I'd probably rather rewatch the sequel cause at least it's a ridiculous trainwreck full of so many mishmashed ideas that jump from one to another between scenes that it's pretty funny to look back on.

This movie is just so bland. It does everything the first Spider-Man movie does but does it blander and less memorably, along with a few cosmetic changes that act as though they merit the movie existing. I'd probably rather rewatch the sequel cause at least it's a ridiculous trainwreck full of so many mishmashed ideas that jump from one to another between scenes that it's pretty funny to look back on.
No matter how this movie is viewed, "Cocoa house" is one of the most entertaining moments in a Spider-Man movie.
And I really like to laugh on him crying over the death of his uncle Ben. I love this movie to heart, but man does he not live up to how touching the same moment with Tobey Maguire and Clifton Robertson is.

Wait wait, I never saw anyone else making fun of how all cops knew the killer had a star shaped tattoo on his hand when there were no witnesses around, or how come everyone concluded that it was the same cashier thief.

This moment is pretty adorable.

Admittedly, it's a repackage of Peter returning late in the first movie and seeing the note "Michelangelo, meatloaf is in the fridge", but I'm glad they included it and made it this way.

Last edited:
  • The shirt in the subway bit is not his fault.
  • The Lizard wanted to make the change last longer, and he found human fragility a weakness that can be cured by making the population have regenerative ability.
  • The promise is not "Stay away", he promised to do something he was doing prior to George dying; "Keep Gwen out of this", and this was Spider-Man's action. The line he said in the end is very distasteful, but he still kept the promise he made.

• The promise is not "Stay away", he promised to do something he was doing prior to George dying; "Keep Gwen out of this", and this was Spider-Man's action.

I think the intention though is that he avoid her, not get close to her, especially with the context that he was dying and he didn't want to expose Gwen to even the heartbreak of another person she loved dying. Also especially since he used to really disliked Spider-Man and wanted to arrest him, since he used to have that feeling it seems like he now was acknowledging Peter being Spider-Man was necessary/acceptable but only if he was willing to be really self-sacrificing with respect to romance with his daughter.

And even disliking Spider-Man he probably wouldn't think Peter would deliberately or recklessly endanger her in action so that also supports that he wanted a breakup so Peter wouldn't even inadvertently expose her danger.

I think the intention though is that he avoid her, not get close to her, especially with the context that he was dying and he didn't want to expose Gwen to even the heartbreak of another person she loved dying. Also especially since he used to really disliked Spider-Man and wanted to arrest him, since he used to have that feeling it seems like he now was acknowledging Peter being Spider-Man was necessary/acceptable but only if he was willing to be really self-sacrificing with respect to romance with his daughter.

And even disliking Spider-Man he probably wouldn't think Peter would deliberately or recklessly endanger her in action so that also supports that he wanted a breakup so Peter wouldn't even inadvertently expose her danger.
The more I see it, the more I feel that this explanation is wall being built to overly condemn Peter for being a jerk.

Well it did seem a deliberate homage/reference to and then reversal to that Peter, from the same fears, had himself decided to not get with Mary Jane in the first Raimi film.

There must have been some awareness of the similarity by the filmmakers and so awareness that Peter backing off from the promise could be controversial but also hope that it would be more popular or at least relatable.

Well it did seem a deliberate homage/reference to and then reversal to that Peter, from the same fears, had himself decided to not get with Mary Jane in the first Raimi film.

There must have been some awareness of the similarity by the filmmakers and so awareness that Peter backing off from the promise could be controversial but also hope that it would be more popular or at least relatable.
I don't know about relatable, it made him seem like a jerk. He disrespected Gwen's dying father's warnings to stay away for his daughter's safety because he had a ***** for her. Peter's supposed to be the guy who makes the hard morally right choices because he values responsibility, I think the end of the PS4 game illustrates this perfectly in direct contrast to something like the end of TASM.

He felt that he was supposed to do just that when it's not the promise, she was crushed, and he was between a hard rock and.. I don't know how the rest of that saying goes, but he was torn between two hard choices. Dude even went to the funeral service, and found it hard to approach her.

Complaints are "He made a promise and was happy to break it. Asshat".

And the promise still doesn't sound like "Keep your distance".

He called making a promise you can't keep the best kind. That sounds like he's happy to me.
  • The shirt in the subway bit is not his fault.
  • The Lizard wanted to make the change last longer, and he found human fragility a weakness that can be cured by making the population have regenerative ability.
  • The promise is not "Stay away", he promised to do something he was doing prior to George dying; "Keep Gwen out of this", and this was Spider-Man's action. The line he said in the end is very distasteful, but he still kept the promise he made.
I think Lizard didn't do that as far as the movie showed, making him doing it pointless. His motive is kinda nonsense. He rambles about lost people alone, which wouldn't change by making them lizards. The world without weakness thing is kinda hamfisted to me too. Maybe an idea that with a world of regenerative lizard people, they couldn't hurt eachother anymore, but his character doesn't seem to have a personal motive for that really. He doesn't have an arm and that's it for his motive. His character isn't filled out to me.

Watching the scene again recently, I get the impression, with him saying people closest to Peter will get hurt, the idea of staying away from Gwen was inferred by Peter and maybe implied by George. Peter seemed to think so.

Last edited:
So I noticed, and people skip the stuff between the promise and that line.

He said something about not wanting people to feel weak, didn't feel hamfisted to me.

And that is still not what George said. Peter understood it that way, so did a portion of the audience.

Do you intentionally follow me to these discussions in pursuit of changing how I view these movies?

To me this movie (though of course influenced by USM) feels like it was trying to be pretty retro-'90s, take heavy influence from that or even feel like it could have been from that era (special effects differences aside).

Due to the emphasis on Peter's parents and uncertainty of what happened to them (a Spider-Man plotline from the early '90s) and on advanced, dangerous technology and the potential for it to be misused and also having an ongoing conspiracy-plotline about scientific developments and cover-ups thereof (reminiscent of Terminator 2, Jurassic Park and The X Files).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"