The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

*COMMENTARY PART 03:

So Peter hunts his uncle's killer, but he can't find him because of how many come close to looking like the guy in the sketch, who wears shades at night, trademark for bad guy by definition, LOL. I don't mind, he tries to find the man who killed his uncle, but it's easy to find lookalikes in a city this big and this crowded.

He didn't make his web fluid, either he stole it or he bought it, I'll take the latter cause he's not raised to be a thief. At least he was the one to make the webshooters, and nothing was handed down to him by a rich tech expert, or even by his female friend.
There is an origin for the mask, for the suit, for a good chunk of things that aren't ignored.

At least we know how webs can come out through those gloves of his, that question burns in my mind whenever I watch organic webshooters Tobey and his fully concealing gloves that make no room for his web glands.

How did he sneak into the car with locked doors? Without making one sound?
Calling for a cop to get a car thief he personally captured is not a joke, it doesn't feel like a joke, and getting annoyed at someone pointing a gun at him and shooting does not make him a jerk.
Where did all the other cops come from?
Spidey lied to the car thief about making his own web fluid.

Soft spoken "Please go to sleep", not sure how that makes one a jerk.
It was also a joke. :oldrazz:
With this it was a tasteless joke, in response to one made by his uncle first.

*COMMENTARY PART 04:

Gwen invites Peter to her home, (in a deleted scene he can't show the building's doorman his suit), so he has to climb up through the fire escape, Gwen smiles for seeing him there. For a world that wants to be more realistic, that seems unrealistic. Peter meets George Stacy, Pete's backbag is in Gwen's room, he shows Gwen he's Spider-Man after the dinner discussion and expected her to accept, she accepted, and he went to the bridge without his suit, to reveal his suit under his normal clothes so we're glad the doorman scene is deleted.

I don't mind that they didn't show Connors family here, it would cram more than necessary with the script James Vanderbilt wrote, but Curt turning into the Lizard as soon as he did is way too hasty a transformation, and a hastier return.
I like that Pete chose to save the tossed cars instead of kicking the Lizard first.

Light burning oil the way it did... is that realistic? Looks very far fetched to me, and made just to extended the charming rescue scene with Jack.
What about everyone else who is trapped in all the other cars? Everyone else left their cars, so why didn't jack exit the car with his dad? I guess the dad exits and Lizard tossed the car very shortly after that, and the kid remained there.
It's interesting how that made Pete look at his mask and think "There is more to this than just trying to catch the guy who killed my uncle", and the thought is not spoken.

Connors was transforming back from the Lizard real quick, and it's strange that he left the bridge and entered the sewers faster than his external physique decay.

Why did George publicly announce a warrant as if it was new that he was hunting Spider-Man? It's interesting that it made May look at how Peter left the table before finishing his breakfast, and then look at the screen, she knows there is something, but that wasn't touched upon again.

Connors spoke in a suspicious manner to Peter, it's not bad that Pete saw the reptilian mouse in the lab, but that one remained a reptile longer than the doc did, by ratio Fred should've had a similar dosage volume, so it shouldn't be in reptilious state in the morning, but it was.

*COMMENTARY PART 05:

I really like George Stacy in this movie.
I like the web grid Peter made to feel vibrations, but he had to skip a day of school to do that, no parent summoning was made for this one.
EEEEEWWWWWWWW.
Go wash yourself before you enter someone else's house with sewage covering you, you disgusting person.
George? Gwen? Anyone? Smell the stink on Peter?
GWEN, NO, DON'T KISS HIM. :barf:
You got that right Peter, it IS your responsibility to stop the Lizard for giving him the formula. You read that?

I didn't complain about Norman Osborn hearing the Green Goblin talking to him, that is certainly not a happening in the comics, just like Lizard talking to Doc Connors, I'm not complaining now, and I won't question why he hid in the sewers to build a lab there, or how he moved all the equipment as he did there.

School fight scene is actually amazing, I love it, and I adore the track accompanying it.
I'm glad the deleted scene of Lizard looking with a horny stare at the girls in the girls room was deleted.
Stan Lee cameo is cool, but there is no way he wouldn't hear that.

Deleted scenes for this movie are mostly terrible, I'm happy they were left out, I wouldn't want the quality of the movie to be damaged by that crap, but I wonder why Dr. Ratha wasn't shown again in a scene alternate to the one where the Lizard eats him in the sewers, and I wonder how he knew Peter talked to Connors.

*COMMENTARY PART 06:

I Have a few comments on the last 40 minutes:
  1. Why did the Lizard bother to wait for cops to show up at the site he was standing in? He could have just gone up and cops would focus more on Spider-Man.
  2. Crane alignment is one of the dumbest moments ever made in any movie I can think of.
  3. Why did Flash jump on Peter as if he was great buds with him? There was almost zero build up to that, or to him being a Spidey fan.
  4. Peter did not break a promise to Captain Stacy, the promise was to keep Gwen out of dangerous situations "Keep her out of this", not to "stay away from her".
  5. There are more hints that May knows, but that was not explored, instead it was a wasted plotpoint with potential.
  6. I love the final swing in this one, it's not as epic as the ones we have in the first and second Sam Raimi directed films, but I love the wall bounce and acrobatics, the theme accompanying them is great.
  7. The whole soundtrack for the last 40 minutes are great to listen to.

*CONCLUSION:

This is Peter Parker from the comics, he is a jerk to the degree we see on film, he's supposed to be relatable, and more people relate to this guy than the haters of this version would want to believe, cause they have the image that Peter is nicer than being a guy who takes a badge of someone else, and I said it many times before the commentary I made recently on this film; "Even the nicest people have moments being unexpected sour jerks". This take on Peter is not a completely unlikable tool.

Sam Raimi made a better job in choosing stories that are easier to be engaged in, he's more experienced than Marc Webb, more talented, and I applaud him for the job he did in making more enjoyable Spider-Man movies. This one is another enjoyable good movie, but it's a little harder to sit through and enjoy.

Overall score for this movie (mix of quality and joy):
7.8/10
I'm still sticking to the score I originally gave this movie.

I wish they had left the deleted scene with Billy in.

Spot-on with your comments about Peter, though.

With this it was a tasteless joke, in response to one made by his uncle first.

Not at all. Peter and May and Ben all interact like a modern loving family that have no issue poking harmless fun at each other. Whether it's Peter begrudgingly asking about May's spaghetti and meatballs to her response, "Since when did you not like spaghetti and meatballs?", to Peter calling Ben a character to Gwen (Which I believe was either before or after the pathological liar line), to Ben bluntly stating to May, "Nobody likes your meatloaf" and 'em having a harmless 'argument'.

Absolutely nothing jerky about that. In fact, a lot of the 'jerk' points people bring up about Peter have little to no merit.

In fact, a lot of the 'jerk' points people bring up about Peter have little to no merit.

Peter taking someone's badge, having a brief spat with Aunt May (before cooler heads prevailed), etc. could all be seen as jerkish traits. That's about it, though.

He didn't make his web fluid, either he stole it or he bought it, I'll take the latter cause he's not raised to be a thief.

That was really weird and underdeveloped, it doesn't feel like he stole it (something liked that can't be skimmed over and it wasn't even really implied) and yet it looks and feels like it would cost a lot more than he (in other versions and in this one) could have afforded, it's like for that one scene and purpose they forgot that he doesn't have much money.

I think organic webbing again would have fit better with the theme of one altered person fighting another who expects him to support him.

OTOH his costume looked nicely homemade-enough.

Last edited:
Raimi's trilogy would've benefited from mechanical and Webb's duology would've benefited from the mixture of mechanical and organic.

I wish they had left the deleted scene with Billy in.

Spot-on with your comments about Peter, though.
If they made room for more to be explored with his son I'd actually love to have it.

And :toth:
Not at all. Peter and May and Ben all interact like a modern loving family that have no issue poking harmless fun at each other. Whether it's Peter begrudgingly asking about May's spaghetti and meatballs to her response, "Since when did you not like spaghetti and meatballs?", to Peter calling Ben a character to Gwen (Which I believe was either before or after the pathological liar line), to Ben bluntly stating to May, "Nobody likes your meatloaf" and 'em having a harmless 'argument'.

Absolutely nothing jerky about that. In fact, a lot of the 'jerk' points people bring up about Peter have little to no merit.
That's interesting. The spaghetti and meatloaf talk are fairly relatable to me, and I like it.

That was really weird and underdeveloped, it doesn't feel like he stole it (something like that can't be skimmed over and it wasn't even really implied) and yet it looks and feels like it would cost a lot more than he (in other versions and in this one) could have afforded, it's like for that one scene and purpose they forgot that he doesn't have much money.
When I think about it, it raises a number of questions that could use more explaining to answer.

I also re-watched the first Amazing Spider-Man for a series of retrospectives I've been doing on the Spider-Man films. And remember when this movie was first announced? It was either "NO! How can you disgrace Sam Raimi like this? This movie will suck!" Or, "YES! The Raimi movies sucked! This will be the best Spider-Man movie EVAR!" Well, after re-watching it, it's clear everyone made a big stink over what was really just a paint-by-numbers movie.

Stillanerd's Retrospective: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) review

Though I didn't like Garfield's Spider-Man much, it's a bit of a shame that that pretty Ultimate-inspired version will never meet Jackson's Nick Fury.

He's more 616 inspired actually, getting angry at his uncle and leaving the house, and playing basketball are the only references to the Ultimate version of Peter.

This Peter is not inspired by any valid version of Spider-Man.

He's inspired by two valid versions, more by the original.

I'm deadly serious.

Last edited:
You avatar expresses my sentiment reading the whole debate, from all sides.

The Amazing Spider-Man is not one of the worst movies ever made (that title might go to its sequel, which is actually more entertaining for all of the wrong reasons), but I think it's one of the most perfunctory and cynical cash grab blockbusters of this decade.

You see the studio suits ALL over the film, as if they learned absolutely nothing from their meddling with Spider-Man 3:

"We need a cinematic universe like Marvel! Let's push the Sinister Six."

"People liked Sam Raimi's movies, so let's repeat of some of the stuff he did."

"Oooh, Christopher Nolan is popular right now. Let's borrow some stuff from his Batman movies, too."

"Ladies love Twilight, so let's force feed the audience with a 'bad boy' Peter Parker with an Edward Cullen hairdo."

"Let's add Gwen Stacy to this, just so we can kill her off in a future movie, 'cause we need to pander to the fanboys too."

I realize there are fans of The Amazing Spider-Man movies, and that's fine. I think it's pretty darn obvious why Sony made these movies, though ... And I don't think that's because they were set out to make a good series of Spider-Man movies. They made The Amazing Spider-Man just so they wouldn't lose the film rights; made it just in time for that deadline. :funny:

I do hold resentment towards these movies, because they delayed Spider-Man's involvement with the MCU. As a lifelong Spider-Man fan, it actually hurt to see The Avengers five years ago, and then a month later, witness a movie about Spider-Man that I not only hated, but also see it as *the* reason why I couldn't have something (Spidey in an Avengers movie).

I do not think ASM is one of the worst films ever made. There are far too many bad films made for amazing spider-man to be rewarded with that distinction.

It's more mundanely bad. Like a murder in Chicago; regrettable, but a common act.

He's more 616 inspired actually, getting angry at his uncle and leaving the house, and playing basketball are the only references to the Ultimate version of Peter.

For starters he also looked more moody rather than like a square or severe nerd and he was smart but seemed to not apply himself much in his classes.

"Let's add Gwen Stacy to this, just so we can kill her off in a future movie, 'cause we need to pander to the fanboys too."

Uh, not sure how having her with the possibility or intention of killing her later was pandering to the fans rather than something risky other than that the character did have fans and her death story was widely acclaimed (so much so that trying to adapt it would be risky with the fans as well as with new viewers).

Uh, not sure how having her with the possibility or intention of killing her later was pandering to the fans rather than something risky other than that the character did have fans and her death story was widely acclaimed (so much so that trying to adapt it would be risky with the fans as well as with new viewers).

Except that I didn't see an effort to make Gwen much of a character.

Does she have any character arcs throughout these films? Not really.

She was a good character without a defined arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"