The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

It's funny, with Raimi's Spideys I never really liked Tobey's Peter/Spidey but loved the movies whereas with Webb's Spideys I wasnt too impressed with the movies but thought Garfield and Stone were absolutely great in their roles.

My feeling is that if you could somehow transplant Garfield and Stone into Raimi's movies, you'd have near perfection.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day...How much better would SM2 have been if we kept most of the movie the same but swapped out Tobey's Peter/Spider-Man and Kirsten Dunst's MJ with Andrew's Peter/Spidey and Emma Stone's Gwen. I would love to see that.

I wouldn't swap out Tobey or Kirsten for anything. They were both excellent in that movie.

I wouldn't swap out Tobey or Kirsten for anything. They were both excellent in that movie.

Tobey was certainly at his finest and although MJ was written poorly, Kirsten acted her best in SM2, imo of course.

Keeping Gwen intact with Emma's wonderful performance and giving Andrew's Parker a dose of the writing within SM2, making him likeable, I think they'd give them a run for their money. Garfield was much better in the suit as Spider-Man too.

It'd be interesting to watch SM2 again with those changes and quite possibly see some improvement.

Watching SM2 on cable right now, that train sequence is still amazing.

Tobey was certainly at his finest and although MJ was written poorly, Kirsten acted her best in SM2, imo of course.

Keeping Gwen intact with Emma's wonderful performance and giving Andrew's Parker a dose of the writing within SM2, making him likeable, I think they'd give them a run for their money. Garfield was much better in the suit as Spider-Man too.

It'd be interesting to watch SM2 again with those changes and quite possibly see some improvement.

Both Mary Jane and Gwen were written the way they were to serve the director's vision. The reason why Gwen was practically perfect was because Webb wanted the audience to fall in love with her before she tragically died. Mary Jane was trainwreck because Raimi wanted maximum drama out of the Peter-Harry-MJ trio. I think both portrayals could stand to be tweaked, but they fit the series they were part of.

Both Mary Jane and Gwen were written the way they were to serve the director's vision. The reason why Gwen was practically perfect was because Webb wanted the audience to fall in love with her before she tragically died. Mary Jane was trainwreck because Raimi wanted maximum drama out of the Peter-Harry-MJ trio. I think both portrayals could stand to be tweaked, but they fit the series they were part of.

Well, yeah. I think the whole Spider-Man No More would be better utilized seeing Peter wanting to be with a likeable character such as Emma's Gwen that he needed to stay away from to keep her safe rather than Kirsten's MJ, where you're wondering why he wanted to be with her in the first place.

By combining what is mostly considered the best parts of the ASM series, Gwen Stacy and Andrew's Spider-Man into what is still widely considered the best overall Spider-Man movie, SM2, at least imo, it would be a win. Andrew's Parker would also benefit from the writing in SM2 making him more likeable.

Well, yeah. I think the whole Spider-Man No More would be better utilized seeing Peter wanting to be with a likeable character such as Emma's Gwen that he needed to stay away from to keep her safe rather than Kirsten's MJ, where you're wondering why he wanted to be with her in the first place.

By combining what is mostly considered the best parts of the ASM series, Gwen Stacy and Andrew's Spider-Man into what is still widely considered the best overall Spider-Man movie, SM2, at least imo, it would be a win. Andrew's Parker would also benefit from the writing in SM2 making him more likeable.

I guess we disagree on what made the character unlikable to a portion of the audience. I can't see Emma's Gwen being as beloved if she had the same arc as Kirsten's MJ. A Gwen who was engaged to someone else and left them at the altar would garner a similar reaction as Mary Jane.

Anyone who's seen Bring it On knows Dunst can play a fun loving, endearing character. That wasn't what the script called for. And since the romantic relationship was the focus of both series, changing the love interest arc greatly alters the movie.

I guess we disagree on what made the character unlikable to a portion of the audience. I can't see Emma's Gwen being as beloved if she had the same arc as Kirsten's MJ. A Gwen who was engaged to someone else and left them at the altar would garner a similar reaction as Mary Jane.

Anyone who's seen Bring it On knows Dunst can play a fun loving, endearing character. That wasn't what the script called for. And since the romantic relationship was the focus of both series, changing the love interest arc greatly alters the movie.

Ok, I think I see the misunderstanding. I never meant insert Gwen into SM2 as though she were MJ nor have her follow MJ's arc. That's what I meant by "keep Gwen intact with Emma's performance," meaning she would still have the same character arc as in the ASM movies and still be the likeable character that people enjoyed. IMO, I think having a likeable female lead in Gwen would have better served the Spider-Man No More tale. Peter wants to be with her but can't out of wanting to protect her, by Capt Stacy's wishes, is losing his powers over it and the audience is rooting for them. I'd say that would be great.

Never said Kirsten was a bad actress or not capable of playing different characters. She was good in Bring it On, and if we're talking fun and bubbly plus likable she was awesome in Drop Dead Gorgeous, in that regard.

Ok, I think I see the misunderstanding. I never meant insert Gwen into SM2 as though she were MJ nor have her follow MJ's arc. That's what I meant by "keep Gwen intact with Emma's performance," meaning she would still have the same character arc as in the ASM movies and still be the likeable character that people enjoyed. IMO, I think having a likeable female lead in Gwen would have better served the Spider-Man No More tale. Peter wants to be with her but can't out of wanting to protect her, by Capt Stacy's wishes, is losing his powers over it and the audience is rooting for them. I'd say that would be great.

Now THAT would be a definitive Spider-Man film for me.

Never said Kirsten was a bad actress or not capable of playing different characters. She was good in Bring it On, and if we're talking fun and bubbly plus likable she was awesome in Drop Dead Gorgeous, in that regard.
Gwen isn't likable. People are just charmed by Emma Stone.

I don't get why he wants to be with Gwen. She's just cute and pretty. They have three real conversations in the movie and then they're apparently so in love that George's dying wish doesn't matter enough to stay true to.

Ok, this movie is stupid.
Anyone ever wondered how that cop never shot the car thief? And what does "dress up like a car thief" mean? Do they have a special uniform or belong to a union or something?

I gotta watch this movie again. Most memorable scenss were Crane Scene and School fight other than that everything else was pretty much the same as SM1 but...reworked when ya think about it.

Just rewatched this movie for the umpteenth time and it still holds up so well for me, it's a near perfect superhero movie and still my personal favorite (followed closely by ASM2). Every element just gels together perfectly to me - the cast, the tone, James Horner's score, the Spidey costume. I do still feel the Lizard could be a stronger villain, but for the most part the only changes I really wish had happened were to re-add the deleted scene in the sewer of Dr. Ratha's death and to include some scenes with Connors' family because in the film as is, you'd almost think he has no family, which isn't the case. Still love it. :up:

One element I thought was handled very well that I don't see mentioned much was the Peter/Flash relationship even in only a few scenes.

Just rewatched this movie for the umpteenth time and it still holds up so well for me, it's a near perfect superhero movie and still my personal favorite (followed closely by ASM2). Every element just gels together perfectly to me - the cast, the tone, James Horner's score, the Spidey costume. I do still feel the Lizard could be a stronger villain, but for the most part the only changes I really wish had happened were to re-add the deleted scene in the sewer of Dr. Ratha's death and to include some scenes with Connors' family because in the film as is, you'd almost think he has no family, which isn't the case. Still love it. :up:

One element I thought was handled very well that I don't see mentioned much was the Peter/Flash relationship even in only a few scenes.

It's really good. Glad you still like it. My 2nd best Spider-Man movie.

The promise he made is to keep Gwen out of his adventures, not to stay away from her.

He kept THAT promise.

The promise he made is to keep Gwen out of his adventures, not to stay away from her.

He kept THAT promise.
He didn't really. But he felt that it meant to stay away from her. Maybe even Captain Stacy meant that. Have a very great day everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

He didn't really. But he felt that it meant to stay away from her. Maybe even Captain Stacy meant that. Have a very great day everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!
He did, he promised George to keep her out of this, out of the Spider-Man side of his life after she made the serum.
If he didn't keep his word, he wouldn't web her hand to a car hood in TASM2 to keep her away from Electro.
He kept his word.

It bothered how she was able to cut the webbing with like a knife or something.

Cleaning crew needed a loooot of screwdrivers to cut down the web text he wrote Gwen on the bridge.

He certainly did fulfil the promise of keeping her out of his life as Spidey

By getting her killed

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"