The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

They pretty much have to continue with Holland's Spider-Man or transition to a Miles Morales or Ben Reilly Spider-Man. Can't really reboot Spider-Man like they did with the other film series, when it is part of the MCU. If they want Peter (and Tom Holland moves on), they would have to recast and continue with story as is. I feel like that's a tough sell.

Hmm personally I don't need a Spider-Man 4, 5 and 6 given so many Marvel ips are currently getting a movie right now. But I guess its fine as long as the movies are good.

I hope we eventually get a Namor movie.

I'll take all the Spider-man movies in the MCU that I can get. It's basically just more free bonus movies added to the MCU, since they're all funded by Sony and have their own separate schedule. There is no downside.

After NWH, there's definitely no way Sony's letting go of those rights .
It wasn't a likely scenario pre-NWH anyway, but, for any fan hoping that Sony would lose the rights anytime soon, they're gonna have to dream quite a while longer.

At the same time, the relationship with Marvel is soo beneficial for both parties, that rocking the boat , would be foolish.
A Billion dollars is too much money for either side to walk away from.
The status quo has been good so far, and at this point, fans , critics, the GA, and the two studios, benefit from the relationship as is.

After NWH, there's definitely no way Sony's letting go of those rights .
It wasn't a likely scenario pre-NWH anyway, but, for any fan hoping that Sony would lose the rights anytime soon, they're gonna have to dream quite a while longer.

At the same time, the relationship with Marvel is soo beneficial for both parties, that rocking the boat , would be foolish.
A Billion dollars is too much money for either side to walk away from.
The status quo has been good so far, and at this point, fans , critics, the GA, and the two studios, benefit from the relationship as is.

Interesting. I came here to state your first sentence. There is just under a 0% chance that Sony lets those rights go. Having Spidey in the MCU makes SM movies much, much more interesting and makes MCU more interesting.

That being said, I have no interest in Morbius or Venom or really anything else I can think of in SonyVerse. For some reason, they just don't grab me.

Sony's secondary movies do still worry me a bit. It's annoying that Venom essentially became part of the MCU multiverse as a throwaway gag. And yet that gag has important implications about the future. It's just such a weird, offputting way to handle it. I hope there's actually some sort of plan there and that the MCU isn't just gonna halfassedly connect to all of Sony's Spider-man Universe movies out of some sort of deal they made with Sony.

I'm very curious on what the terms of a new contract between Marvel and Sony will be. If you ever dealt with M&A and C level execs more money = more problems. NWH massive success will make things....interesting. Disney also has a different CEO and different Chairman this time (and they are not the same person like last time).

TV rights and streaming rights are much, much more important to Disney this time around than they were in September 2019, the last time the deal was extended and before Disney+ had launched and proven to be so essential to Disney as a whole (that was only exacerbated due to COVID).

Disney also wanted 50/50 last time on ALL Spider related movies, including the non MCU ones. Sony wanted to keep the status quo of 95% first day gross 100% all gross after first day.

We know Feige is guaranteeing a deal will be made and Rothman said the deal hasn't been made yet but they want to. Pascal has also mentioned they want to keep the relationship going. I feel very comfortable that they'll both ask for things the other side will not want to give up. I feel money will have to exchange hands this time to get a deal done (like it happened in 2011).

Last edited:
I'm very curious on what the terms of a new contract between Marvel and Sony will be. If you ever dealt with M&A and C level execs more money = more problems. NWH massive success will make things....interesting. Disney also has a different CEO and different Chairman this time (and they are not the same person like last time).

TV rights and streaming rights are much, much more important to Disney this time around than they were in September 2019, the last time the deal was extended and before Disney+ had launched and proven to be so essential to Disney as a whole (that was only exacerbated due to COVID).

Disney also wanted 50/50 last time on ALL Spider related movies, including the non MCU ones. Sony wanted to keep the status quo of 95% first day gross 100% all gross after first day.

We know Feige is guaranteeing a deal will be made and Rothman said the deal hasn't been made yet but they want to. Pascal has also mentioned they want to keep the relationship going. I feel very comfortable that they'll both ask for things the other side will not want to give up. I feel money will have to exchange hands this time to get a deal done (like it happened in 2011).

Whatever happens, happens.

Whatever happens, happens.

I would prefer that Disney cuts ties with Sony permanently. Sure I enjoyed NWH as much as the next guy but Marvel has a library of 6000 characters excluding the Spider-Man ones owned by Sony. Going back to the Spider-Man well endlessly is boring and predictable.

I don't want to see the MCU falling back on the tried and true. The reason we got The Avengers, GOTG, etc was because Marvel/Disney didn't have access to the sure thing crowd pleasers. Let Sony keep their Spiderverse movies in some small pocket dimension in the Multiverse. I want to keep seeing innovative and risky MCU properties on both the big screen and D+ :yay:

I would prefer that Disney cuts ties with Sony permanently. Sure I enjoyed NWH as much as the next guy but Marvel has a library of 6000 characters excluding the Spider-Man ones owned by Sony. Going back to the Spider-Man well endlessly is boring and predictable.

I don't want to see the MCU falling back on the tried and true. The reason we got The Avengers, GOTG, etc was because Marvel/Disney didn't have access to the sure thing crowd pleasers. Let Sony keep their Spiderverse movies in some small pocket dimension in the Multiverse. I want to keep seeing innovative and risky MCU properties on both the big screen and D+ :yay:

Sony is still producing the Spider-man movies, so they have no impact on how many movies are being made about other MCU heroes. Marvel wouldn't magically start making more movies if Sony's Spider-man movies stopped being connected to the MCU. The current situation is ultimately a net positive (at least in terms of the number of MCU movies we get).

And it's always funny how people act like a character with decades of comic history is somehow overdone just because he got like 10 hours of total screen time across a few movies...

Sony is still producing the Spider-man movies, so they have no impact on how many movies are being made about other MCU heroes. Marvel wouldn't magically start making more movies if Sony's Spider-man movies stopped being connected to the MCU. The current situation is ultimately a net positive (at least in terms of the number of MCU movies we get).

And it's always funny how people act like a character with decades of comic history is somehow overdone just because he got like 10 hours of total screen time across a few movies...

Actually, Marvel Studios and Feige produced NWH as an MCU Spider-Man film for Sony. Disney reportedly co-financed 25% of the film in exchange for 25% of its profits, while retaining the merchandising rights...

So yes, Disney producing Spider-Man movies would draw production resources away from other productions and impact further MCU superhero movies from being made, at least theoretically. Nobody here knows for sure how production decisions are made by Marvel Studios...

I am grateful to NWH for one reason. Its phenomenal success has at least erased any perception of 'failure' at Marvel Studios after the (relative) underperformance of Black Widow and Eternals in the minds of the general public. John Q Citizen of course has no idea about the Disney/Sony agreement, or doesn't understand its implications even if they do know...

I'd still like to see Disney and Sony part ways, at least to give Sony time and opportunity to screw up the Spider-Man IP once again. One of my bucket list wishes is to see Spider-Man come home to Marvel for good without all this character sharing. I would also like to see an end to Sony's Spiderverse side projects too...

Actually, Marvel Studios and Feige produced NWH as an MCU Spider-Man film for Sony. Disney reportedly co-financed 25% of the film in exchange for 25% of its profits, while retaining the merchandising rights...

So yes, Disney producing Spider-Man movies would draw production resources away from other productions and impact further MCU superhero movies from being made, at least theoretically. Nobody here knows for sure how production decisions are made by Marvel Studios...

I am grateful to NWH for one reason. Its phenomenal success has at least erased any perception of 'failure' at Marvel Studios after the (relative) underperformance of Black Widow and Eternals in the minds of the general public. John Q Citizen of course has no idea about the Disney/Sony agreement, or doesn't understand its implications even if they do know...

I'd still like to see Disney and Sony part ways, at least to give Sony time and opportunity to screw up the Spider-Man IP once again. One of my bucket list wishes is to see Spider-Man come home to Marvel for good without all this character sharing. I would also like to see an end to Sony's Spiderverse side projects too...

I think the point is that Marvel Studios has their movies that they plan for, and the Spider-Man movies are just an extra thing they added cause they have the deal with Sony. If not for Sony, many of the not main line Spider-Man films get made cause they have like 100 other projects all lined up

I think the point is that Marvel Studios has their movies that they plan for, and the Spider-Man movies are just an extra thing they added cause they have the deal with Sony. If not for Sony, many of the not main line Spider-Man films get made cause they have like 100 other projects all lined up

Ya I get what you're saying...

I just wanna see an MCU where Spider-Man and Human Torch can team up against Venom, or Spider-Man and Wolverine can team up against Sabertooth. The way things are now, none of that can happen without Sony's permission...

It just irks me that another studio continues to have a stranglehold on the IP. I guess at the end of the day it's Marvel's fault for being so short-sighted in the '90s...

Ya I get what you're saying...

I just wanna see an MCU where Spider-Man and Human Torch can team up against Venom, or Spider-Man and Wolverine can team up against Sabertooth. The way things are now, none of that can happen without Sony's permission...

It just irks me that another studio continues to have a stranglehold on the IP. I guess at the end of the day it's Marvel's fault for being so short-sighted in the '90s...

Yeah, but you gotta look on the bright side. Being a Spidey fan is pretty sweet, especially in comparison to fans of other long time comic book A listers (looking at Superman). Just recently we've gotten a number of extremely well received big budget Marvel Team Up films featuring Spidey and dozens of Marvel superheroes. We've seen him fighting alongside Avengers in an airport, fighting with Team Titan against Thanos, and now with all the Spideys!

Rothman or Chapek could very well put the kibosh on the existing deal, but I don't see either walking away from the most valuable superhero series in the pandemic era. Sony and the Mouse recently signed a big deal for streaming and airing Sony films, so they appear to be on good terms. My guess is the next Spider-Man film will be a street level affair, with DD, Kingpin and a few other Marvel favorites. And the post credit scene will be Peter's first meeting Johnny Storm at the new Statue of Liberty.

Yeah, but you gotta look on the bright side. Being a Spidey fan is pretty sweet, especially in comparison to fans of other long time comic book A listers (looking at Superman). Just recently we've gotten a number of extremely well received big budget Marvel Team Up films featuring Spidey and dozens of Marvel superheroes. We've seen him fighting alongside Avengers in an airport, fighting with Team Titan against Thanos, and now with all the Spideys!

Rothman or Chapek could very well put the kibosh on the existing deal, but I don't see either walking away from the most valuable superhero series in the pandemic era. Sony and the Mouse recently signed a big deal for streaming and airing Sony films, so they appear to be on good terms. My guess is the next Spider-Man film will be a street level affair, with DD, Kingpin and a few other Marvel favorites. And the post credit scene will be Peter's first meeting Johnny Storm at the new Statue of Liberty.

That's true! We did get some very cool movies out of the Disney/Sony deal. You can also make the argument that Spider-Man's involvement in those movies helped turn Marvel from successful studio into box office juggernaut...

I like your suggestion moving forward. Spidey always worked best as a street level hero anyway. Watching him team up with DD again Kingpin and fighting The Punisher works for me :yay:

The 90s was also a very different time in which CBM were viewed very differently by the studios and critics than they are today.

The idea of a Marvel or DC Cinematic universe of multiple characters interacting they way the do across films and TV today was the furthest thing from Marvel Comics or even WB's minds back in the 90s.

This was still the era of stand alone superhero films and tv shows, with slight exceptions of Supergirl taking place in the Donner verse, and Thor and Daredevil appearing in Hulk TV movies, but even then, Thor and Daredevil didn't have films or shows of their own.

Spiderman, Hulk, and Captain America never crossed over or acknowledged each other in their shows in the 70s.

Even WB, who owned Batman, Superman, Shazam, WW, etc kept them separate in their own universes.

So the idea that you would have all these characters at different studios ,with each of the films being in their own universe wasn't so radical at that time. No one was thinking about Superhero Cinematic universes then.

The landscape today is really a fans dream, not the type of dream that would have occurred to most people, including, studio heads in the 1990s .

So , I don't blame Marvel for having to deal with the circumstances in present, and not some uncertain possibility of having all their characters in one box to "someday" create an interconnected cinematic and television universe.

Last edited:
An MCU without Namor or Ghost Rider, even DD... I could manage.

An MCU that had NO presence of Spidey, the FF, X-Men or Hulk?

It was strange to say the least. It isn't ideal but I'm happy to have seen a big super hero crossover in live action that had a fairly wide range of characters including Spidey side by side with the Avengers characters.

With everything leaving Netflix and the upcoming SONY deal now is the time for Disney to work out a deal with Comcast to get the streaming rights to The Incredible Hulk.

I looks like Sony is hoping some of those NWH nostalgia dollars leak over into Morbius...

I'm just glad all this Sony Spiderverse crap is happening in some other corner of the Multiverse. Keep this out of the MCU proper...

Just think, if only Loki hadn't
and
, than none of this would have happened. :p

Kang the Conqueror: "At least all I ask is that you kneel, instead of just killing 99% of everyone."

They really need to rehab the character. MCU Hulk has gone downhill. I honestly don’t really enjoy Ruffalo’s portrayal at all. I think he’s the worst live action Banner we’ve had.

Bana, Bixby, and Norton are all far superior IMHO. I wish they would’ve been able to snag their original choice Joaquin Phoenix for Banner. Ruffalo doesn’t cut it for me. But I could get past his performance if the writing and characterization improved on the Hulk. I don’t like the way they’ve neutered the character.

This is all IMHO of course but MCU Hulk is a huge disappointment. It is probably time to move away from the whole smart Hulk angle. It’s awful IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"