Switch The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be fair, Zelda IS the type of game that one could just buy that one game and be satisfied and occupied for a good long time. And Zelda IS the type of game that could get me to buy a console just for that.

However, in general, I'd prefer to have at least 2 or 3 games available to play when I get a new console. Cuz when you add up all the extra costs, that's quite pricey for just one game.

Plus, the Switch is missing several pieces of functionality ( like VC and browser and media apps ) at launch.

I'll buy a switch as soon as there are five games out that I want to play. I hope I don't need to wait a year.

They aren't forcing him to buy the Switch either. And he simply explained why he wouldn't at the time. After all it would be Mania's purchase, with Mania's money.
His reasons for not buying a Switch make no sense unless you're forced to buy the additional accessories though. It's like saying 'I'm not going to buy a camera because I'd need to buy an SD card and a laptop to store the photos on'.

Also you points don't make much sense. Physical copy of the game or not, it cost the same.
Not necessarily. It depends on the game. I'm sure Snipperclips will be a lot cheaper than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Though if you don't buy a physical copy, you are taking up memory.
It is still technically possible though so you can't say you need to make the additional cost of a physical game.
You would be kissing half of your avaiable memory goodbye, so why wouldn't you need a microSD card?
Because it's an optional extra, Nintendo aren't saying 'You must buy one in order to play our games'.

Finally they didn't pack in the pro controller. Some people don't want to mess around with the JoyCons while playing a more standard style game especially. Like Zelda.
Optional extra, so can't be used as a complaint about the Switch costing too much.

Final point. I have never bought a new console and only one game.
I have - and I'm sure plenty of others have done too. I don't get people who seem to think you need more than one game at launch.

You're confusing the words 'want' and 'need'.

You're confusing the words 'want' and 'need'.

yep.

you don't "need" to buy the extra stuff.

but if you want to play the way you want to play, then you may need to buy the extras.

if you prefer digital games, then you'll need to buy a Micro SD card since the Switch only comes with a paltry 32GBs.

if you prefer a standard controller vs the default Switch controller setup, then you'll need to spend another $70 for the Pro controller.

and so on.

and even if you just buy the console for Zelda without all the extras, that's still $300 + taxes + the game for just one game.

now, if you think it's worth it for Zelda, then that's ok.

but if you're not too keen on that and would rather have at least a few more games you're interested in available, then that's ok, too.

As for me, I'm on the fence. As I said above, Zelda is the type of game that could make it worthwhile to buy a console for. It's a special type of game - assuming of course it gets good reviews and is not an outright stinker.

however, I'd still prefer if there were at least a few more games available at launch that I'm interested in ( like Mario Kart or a Smash Bros game ). as well as more features and functionality like a browser or media apps.

Originally Posted by X Knight
and speaking of Micro SD cards.

what's the best brand/type to get?

would this one be good?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...?skuId=4568502
this too me time to night to find for ya
'

page:27

multipage.gif
Last Page)

and should be.

toprrr610.jpg

Update 1/14/2017: In a statement to Game Informer, a Nintendo representative clarified that the Switch will be compatible with Micro SDXC cards, allowing the system to hold up to 2TB of memory. You can find the full statement below.
“Nintendo Switch is compatible with the SDXC standard, which supports up to 2TB. (Note that 2TB cards are not yet on the market, but the system will support them when they are.)”

1TB Micro SDXC cards are still a ways off for most consumers as well. Currently, the largest available SDXC cards hold 512GB of storage and retail for $200 on the low end, while the highest Micro SDXC card is currently 256 GB.

Original Story: Nintendo has given us a better understanding of the Switch's storage options, which may or may not assuage your memory concerns.
We've learned a lot about the Nintendo Switch in the past 24 hours, and while much of it has been good news, many are concerned with the system's paltry internal storage. The Switch comes with just 32 Gigabytes of internal memory, a portion of which is set aside for system use. On today's Treehouse livestream, however, Nintendo revealed that the Switch can support up to 256 Gigabyte Micro SDXC cards. The card slips seamlessly into a slot underneath the system's kickstand, shown below.
hardware.jpg

Samsung-brand 256GB Micro SDXC cards currently run between $150-200 on Amazon, so getting the maximum amount of space will significantly increase your investment in the Switch. However, don't go shopping quite yet; the Switch's internal space may not be as big of a concern as it is on the PS4 and Xbox One, which require you install all game data onto their respective hard drives. We'll have to wait and see how the Switch handles game data as well as updates and DLC before deciding what kind of space we'll need.

ok fallowing up on these

from this thread

The Electric Playground

4 hrs ·

We unboxed The Nintendo Switch!!! There was much excite!

[YT]i81Ex9ZK1kY[/YT]

NINTENDO SWITCH UNBOXING!!! - Vic's Basement - Electric Playground

The Nintendo Switch is HERE!!!!! Jon Victor Lucas and Johnny Millennium (HappyConsoleGamer) as they…
YOUTU.BE

GIyoshi300.jpg

[YT]StxYraor600[/YT]

GI Show – Horizon, Mass Effect Andromeda, Playing The Switch

video podcast
on Feb 23, 2017 at 06:00 PM

Watch us weigh in on new games like Halo Wars 2, Psychonauts VR, and then unleash our full impressions of our Nintendo Switch.
... More

source: EPN.tv & GI

Here's the latest Below

well I've said bio ware dev's have always liked to work with nintendo but Ea middle management is another story we'll see how far this goes(likely another feud will happen with one side being mouthy from the drunk manage ment while other that the console publisher goes silent but will suffer cause of it) beside that below this first article ME:A has gone gold.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There's some controversy around the Nintendo Switch's third-party lineup. Lots of the games announced are ports of last-gen games with a few somewhat big games like Lego Undercover making their way onto the platform. Some have made the assumption that the system is simply too weak to handle some of the major titles like Resident Evil 7 or Mass Effect: Andromeda. Well, that may or may not be true.
Mass Effect: Andromeda producer Michael Gamble alluded to the fact that the highly anticipated entry in the sci-fi franchise may eventually make its way to the portable/console handheld. When asked about why the game didn't launch alongside (or shortly after) the new console's release, Gamble stated that it was because they were already so deep into development to add a new console into the plans.
First, we were too deep in development to focus on a new console. Secondly, the door is open, we have nothing against the Switch even if we have nothing for the Switch. If the Switch is a significant success we will revisit that. So the door is certainly not closed, it just wasn’t the right timing for us.
Would you play Mass Effect: Andromeda on the Nintendo Switch? Let us know in the comments below!
Mass Effect: Andromeda went gold earlier today meaning the game is officially done and will hit its March 21st release date! Mass Effect: Andromeda will release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The Nintendo Switch console will release Friday, March 3rd.
[WCCFTech][/FONT]

His reasons for not buying a Switch make no sense unless you're forced to buy the additional accessories though. It's like saying 'I'm not going to buy a camera because I'd need to buy an SD card and a laptop to store the photos on'.
Using tihs logic, you could just buy the Switch and no game. You aren't forced to buy a game...

And as been pointed out above me. When you purchase something for entertainment purposes, it is want not a need. And if you don't want the system barebones, why do you have to buy the console barebones?

Not necessarily. It depends on the game. I'm sure Snipperclips will be a lot cheaper than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
No, the games cost the same on the console store as they do in brick and mortar store.

It is still technically possible though so you can't say you need to make the additional cost of a physical game.

Because it's an optional extra, Nintendo aren't saying 'You must buy one in order to play our games'.
You will eventually need to buy one if you don't want to continually erase games. There is already a digital download that exceeds the space on the provided by the console's own memory. That is literally a game you can't play without buying extra memory.

[/QUOTE]Optional extra, so can't be used as a complaint about the Switch costing too much.[/QUOTE]
The standard, normal controller does not come with the console... it might be extra but it is also BS. One that helped me pass on this system at launch.

[/QUOTE]I have - and I'm sure plenty of others have done too. I don't get people who seem to think you need more than one game at launch.[/QUOTE]
And plenty don't. I'd guess most don't. But even still, why do you get to decide how someone else spends their money?

As to why you'd need more then one game. I personally don't live alone. Plenty of families will be buying a Switch. I expect not everyone loves the same exact game. I doubt it is the height of fun for 4 people to sit around a television watching one person play Zelda.

Testing The Nintendo Switch’s Battery Life . February 23, 2017 . 6:00am

Being able to play the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild anywhere sounds like an awesome idea, but how long will the battery on the Nintendo Switch last? That was the first thing we tested out.

149 comments Read >

Being able to play the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild anywhere sounds like an awesome idea, but how long will the battery on the Nintendo Switch last? Earlier this week Siliconera received a system from Nintendo and that was the first thing we tested out.

We charged the Nintendo Switch’s battery to full power and starting playing the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. After 2 hours and 39 minutes of exploring Hyrule a message appears in the top left of the screen saying the battery was running out and the system would go to sleep mode soon. The battery was at 1% when the warning popped up. We were able to play the Zelda for 9 more minutes before the system went into sleep mode. That’s a total of 2 hours and 48 minutes using the default brightness setting. Update: We also ran a test using the system with the lowest brightness level and got 3 hours and 5 minutes of play time. All of our tests were done with the system in “Airplane Mode” which disables wifi.

Next, we tested how long it would take to charge the Nintendo Switch to full power. The Switch needed four minutes of charging time before we could turn the system on again. After one hour of charging, the system’s battery power was at 45%. It took 2 hours and 11 minutes to charge the battery to 90% and 3 hours and 4 minutes until the battery was at 100%.

Food for thought

• The Nintendo Switch weighs 402g. As a comparison, the Wii U controller is 492g, a New Nintendo 3DS XL is 335g and a PlayStation Vita (first generation) is 284g.
  • The system has 25.9GB of storage space when you unbox it.
  • There will be a launch day update for the system that adds online features like the Nintendo eShop, image sharing, and online play. Right now it isn’t possible to link a Nintendo account to the Switch console or connect online.
  • When the system wakes up from sleep mode there is a newsfeed tab on the left side of the screen.
  • The capture button is excellent and makes it easy to take screenshots.
  • Holding down the home button opens a quick menu where you can put the system in sleep mode, turn airplane mode on and change the screen’s brightness.
  • You can store up to 8 user profiles on the Nintendo Switch. Each one has its own save data and friend list.

Read more stories about Nintendo Switch on Siliconera.

next up

It Is Confirmed That The Nintendo Switch Will Not Support Bluetooth Headsets. February 24, 2017 . 8:00am

Due to a misunderstanding, some previous reports that Bluetooth headsets would be compatible with the Switch have since been proven false.

38 comments Read >

Just a few days ago, it was previously stated over on French news site Melty that the Nintendo Switch would support Bluetooth headsets. This information, taken from an interview with Yoshiaki Koizumi, has been proven to be incorrect.

The website has since updated the post saying that the information was either misunderstood or mistranslated, and that Bluetooth headsets are, in fact, not compatible with the Switch. Siliconera tested it for ourselves and can confirm that the Switch will not work with Bluetooth headsets. However, wired headsets will still be compatible with the console.

If you’re wondering about how voice chat works, Nintendo previously stated that they’re releasing a smartphone app that will handle just that, and we got a little example of how it works on Splatoon 2 in our earlier report.

The Nintendo Switch will release on March 3rd, 2017. You can read more about our findings and how we tested the Nintendo Switch’s battery life in our earlier report.

and fallowing all that

John Cena Plays A Switch During Nintendo’s “Unexpected Places” Event. February 24, 2017 . 9:30am

Nintendo recently held the first of its “unexpected places” events for the upcoming Switch console, and WWE Superstar John Cena was also in attendance.

45 comments Read >
Yesterday, Nintendo held the first of its “unexpected places” events for the upcoming Switch console. WWE Superstar John Cena also attended the event and tried out the Switch for himself.

You can check out some official photos from the event below, along with their descriptions.

In this photo provided by Nintendo of America, local fans play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Nintendo Switch system while it is in handheld mode in the California desert on February 23, 2017 at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch in Santa Clarita, California.

John Cena, WWE Superstar, hosts Nintendo Switch in Unexpected Places for the Nintendo Switch system on February 23, 2017 at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch in Santa Clarita, California.

In this photo provided by Nintendo of America, fans play the 1-2-Switch in tabletop mode in the California desert on February 23, 2017 at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch in Santa Clarita, California.

John Cena, WWE Superstar, plays The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch system while it is in TV mode, at the Nintendo Switch in Unexpected Places for the Nintendo Switch system on February 23, 2017 at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch in Santa Clarita, California.

In this photo provided by Nintendo of America, the Nintendo Switch in Unexpected Places activation is set against the backdrop of the California desert on February 23, 2017 at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch in Santa Clarita, California.

The Nintendo Switch will release on March 3rd, 2017.

(Photographs by John Sciulli/Getty Images for Nintendo of America)

source: Siliconera& http://www.gamezone.com/
GZ_logo-e60bbbfb8172ed2476fe1c65210e382e.svg

i just wish had some more media playback like bluray. i'd get it if it had that although maybe most people who are going for it don't care about media playback and just want to focus on games so maybe that's a good thing

i just wish had some more media playback like bluray. i'd get it if it had that although maybe most people who are going for it don't care about media playback and just want to focus on games so maybe that's a good thing

Yeah, that would be nice. Or maybe some cartridges with films/TV Shows on.

Or you know Netflix would be nice since it wouldn't require something the system doesn't have...

Is that stuff really needed ? Your phone / tablets / laptops / smart watches has that stuff

Last edited:
To add my two cents to "storagegate", I probably will buy a 128gb microsd card for the system which will bring the cost up to $340-$350. I honestly think there should have a been more storage options available such as 32gb/64gb/128gb of internal storage, but it's still nice they included expandable storage at all. As for the Pro Controller, I'll wait on it to see if Nintendo will bring the price down to around $50-$60 like the PS4 and Xbox.

I saw that Amazon finally added Digital Codes for Nintendo Switch games so I cancelled my Zelda physical order & got the Digital Code version fyi for anyone that likes digital

Yeah, that would be nice. Or maybe some cartridges with films/TV Shows on.

nah lol I don't wanna start buying movies again on a new format like the PsP made you do, I was just hoping the system was large enough for a disc slot so that it could play bluray.

Or you know Netflix would be nice since it wouldn't require something the system doesn't have...

Some of us prefer the idea of 'owning' something. I'd rather buy a Switch cartridge with Avengers: Age of Ultron on as opposed to watching it on Netflix.

Some of us prefer the idea of 'owning' something. I'd rather buy a Switch cartridge with Avengers: Age of Ultron on as opposed to watching it on Netflix.

Why invest in a format that is guaranteed to be obsolete in 5 years? They should have integration with Google Play, YouTube, or Amazon Video. Buy it there and stream it to any supported device.

I'm sure we'll get the media functionality in a future update.

ok got an un boxing video from the easy allies fallow up on EPN.tv's un boxing and a few new articles on the switch from the same place below

23:32
[YT]MPSU2TWOdlE[/YT]
Switch Unboxing - Easy Allies

30,333 views 3 days ago

Published on 23 Feb 2017
Damiani and Jones crack open our brand new Switch. How do the buttons feel? How small are the cartridges? How big is the screen compared to the largest iPhone? From the HDMI cable to the new Link amiibo for Breath of the Wild, here's everything that came with this highly anticipated shipment.

Support us through Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EasyAllies
Schedule: http://easyallies.com/
Merchandise: http://shop.spreadshirt.com/easyallies

Live streams - https://www.twitch.tv/easyallies
Stream archives - https://www.youtube.com/easyalliesplays
https://twitter.com/easyallies
https://www.facebook.com/easyallies
https://easyallies.tumblr.com/

• Game

• Category

• Licence

• Standard YouTube Licence

Also with

Nintendo Minute Explores 5 Things You Might Not Know About The Switch. February 26, 2017 . 9:30am

Switch producer Yoshiaki Koizumi sat down with Nintendo Minute to discuss the upcoming console, as well as share five things people may not know about the Switch.

7 comments Read >

The Nintendo Switch is less than a week away from its much-anticipated launch, and Kit and Krysta of Nintendo Minute recently sat down with the console’s producer, Yoshiaki Koizumi. In the video below, Koizumi shares more information about the system, as well as a list of five things you may not know about the Switch.
[YT]aDSvzDTaFeE[/YT]

5 Things You May Not Know About Nintendo Switch – Nintendo Minute

And lastly

Final Fantasy XV’s Director Expresses Interest In The Switch, Calls It A “Dream Machine”. February 26, 2017 . 5:30pm

In regards to the Switch and its functionality, Tabata called it a “dream machine,” noting its ability to change between a home console and a handheld device.

20 comments Read >
j_thumb.jpg

Final Fantasy XV’s director Hajime Tabata has mentioned his interest in the Nintendo Switch in previous interviews, and now he has once again lauded the upcoming console while talking with Polygon.

In regards to the Switch and its functionality, Tabata called it a “dream machine,” noting its ability to change between a home console and a handheld device. He also mentioned how he would like to take the Switch a step further and make the handheld screen function like a tablet to play different apps.

Here are Tabata’s thoughts in full:
“Given my track record… I’ve worked on handheld titles, but I’ve also worked on console games. So the fact that Switch is both at the same time is really fascinating to me. I’m really interested in coming up with ideas and how to capitalize on that technology and how to create the best experience possible on the technology. But I’m not quite sure that I have it yet.

“You have your Switch sitting in front of the television and you’re playing on the big screen and then you take it out, put it down on the table. It becomes a monitor. You take out the two Joy-Cons, and you play with a friend … it doesn’t stop there, because in my mind, it would be really perfect if you could then take this new monitor and use it like a tablet, for example, and play different apps on it like you would on your iPhone or your Android. So basically, it’s accomplishing three tasks in one machine. It’s kind of like the dream machine.”

“While I may not be working on anything for it at this point in time, a lot of people on the staff are really interested in the Switch. Myself included! Many of the people on the dev team are older; they’re married; they have kids. One of the things they’d like to do is create something they could also play with their children, or that their children could play on their own, for example.”

Additionally, Tabata went on to say that he believes the Switch is a like a transitional device which will lead to cloud gaming becoming more mainstream.
“You have the Switch, and you have smartphones. I’m not really sure if handheld gaming will still run on dedicated systems, or whether they’ll be on machines or devices that will allow you to game and also do other things. It’s hard to say.

“It could be like cloud gaming. Something that, for a long time, people have said, ‘Oh, this is the future.’ Maybe the future is cloud gaming, but it hasn’t taken off as much as people had anticipated. Maybe once it becomes a little bit more mainstream, when things are a little bit more clear on what happens on the client side and what happens on the server side … then things will really start to take off.

“If cloud gaming then becomes mainstream, I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility for you to be able to pick up a game on your phone, start playing for a little bit, and say, ‘Oh, you know what? I want to play on the big screen,’ and put it down and play the exact same thing — pick up where you left off — on the television.”

Read more stories about Final Fantasy XV & Nintendo Switch on Siliconera.

source:Easy Allies & Siliconera

Details About Switch’s Day One Update Revealed

[FONT=&quot]Sunday, February 26th, 2017

Won't take long for it.Read more
[FONT=&quot]Sunday, February 26th, 2017
[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some information has come out regarding the day one update for Nintendo’s new console.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] It will launch right before the console’s release, and will download quickly in the background. The update will be needed to access the eShop and playing online.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] It will also “connect online using hotspots that require authentication, such as at a hotel or café. A web applet will open up so the user can sign-in or accept terms of use”.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Also, you will be able to link your Nintendo Accounts. It was noted that if you are going to buy digital games for the Switch through Nintendo’s website, you must first connect to the eShop at least once.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Nintendo Switch will be released on March 3.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SOURCE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

source
: Operation Rainfall
[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I decided against buying at launch. I actually have the cash, I just don't think I can justify the buy atm (all just IMO). I'd mainly be buying it fot Zelda, and I'd probably get the DLC too. Problem is the DLC isn't going to be worth it until later in the year. $20 for an ingame Switch shirt isn't worth it. When I thought about that, it made more sense. More games will be out later this year, and maybe by then the DLC will be worth the price with the second pack release. It just makes more sense personally for me to wait. Plus there's nothing wrong with waiting to see if the launch consoles are buggy, or Nintendo announces an XL upgrade like they've been doing lately.

To those who are getting one though, congratz, and hope you enjoy it. I'll probably end up getting one closer to fall.

Last edited:
Come the fall we'll probably see some bundles too. They'd be crazy to not release a Splatoon bundle of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"