The Official Superman Thread - Part 6

For me-- other than the more brash Superman (50/50 on that... Maybe 60/40 the leaning other way) and generally feeling kind of... cold, I guess-- the problems were in its pacing.

I get that he was going for a younger, go-getter Supes who's in constant action, but the pace often didn't suit certain plot/character developments. Namely, Superman being rejected by the public and subsequently hanging up the cape... Which took place over two panels in AC #3, only for him to come back a couple of pages after that. Most irritating to me, was the inclusion of John Henry Irons, who appears in a few panels in #2, then the next time we see him an issue or two later, becomes Steel for no real reason.

I'm usually an advocate for fast-paced entertainment, but combined with Morrison's heady ideas... It can go too far, and leave the characters feeling less like characters and more like concepts to carry those ideas.

Overall, it's just sloppier than I'd like, especially with all the time hopping. I read afterwards that Morrison was only commissioned to do six issues of pre-FP AC, then got a call saying it would be a reboot and asking if he could handle that... THEN extending the run even further after writing had begun. I feel like maybe that explains the sloppy feel.

For that reason, I probably liked the end of the run :-)eek:) better than the beginning, because once all was revealed, it felt like all the seemingly random, thrown-in ideas retroactively came together, though not as cleanly as I'd like.

I'm currently reading through the first volume again to see if it all plays better the second time (I find a lot of Morrison stuff does, personally).

I'd rate it above the only other N52 story I've bothered with-- Superman Unchained. Not that SU was bad, not at all. Just that it was a pretty standard "summer blockbuster" Superman story, with Superman vs the military and yet another new morally ambiguous Anti-Superman that forces Supes to question his own effectiveness, but Superman's goshdarn goodness pushes the new guy to see the error of his ways and self-sacrifice (conveniently taking him off the board in the future). And the Batman cameo. Because of course.

It's all very plain, but fun enough.

(I have Darkseid War incoming, which'll mark my third N52 story).

EDIT: I forgot a big thing. It often feels more cynical than I expected. Personified, obviously, by the whole SuperDoom thing. Still entertaining and well written, but I didn't want that feeling of "Boy, Morrison's really done with Big Two superheroes" while reading an opening run to an all new version of one. Morrison's jab at the whole "WB mandated reboot" thing? Maybe...

One thing I didn't expect to love as much as I did was Calvin Ellis aka The President Superman of Earth-23. I'd love a six-issue mini devoted to him. Luckily I've got Multiversity on the shelf and ready to give me another dose of that character, plus I see he's appearing in Tomasi's Multiplicity, so... :up:

Other things I loved-- Dr. Xa-Du, Krypto's new origin, Susie Thompkins and Vyndktvx.

Fair enough, I think Morrison's action run and superman unchained were the highlights of a very disappointing N52 superman run. The only other run that I would recommend is Greg pak's work on Action, particularly his stand alone arcs in Action 25-30 and 35-40. Pak really had a great handle on superman and I'm really sad to see him replaced with Jurgens whose best days seem to way behind him (mostly in the 90s).

Blue boots just looks odd to me for some reason. Mostly blue from head to toe makes it look like footie pajamas. I'd rather have the traditional red boots. The suit would be fine that way, even without the trunks.

Ditto. I really don't get why they don't just copy and paste the MOS costume instead of doing it half **sed with just the gauntlets. While I don't like MOS one bit I have to admit that the costume Snyder and Wilkenson gave us was perfection IMO, so why not make the 'official' costume so to speak instead of the half a dozen plus variations we're saddled with (MOS, BvS, Hoechlin's superman, the N52, the rebirth and JL action animated constumes).

Now regarding superman #10, well I loved it and Tomasi continues to do a great job with the rebirth/fatherly superman, far superior to his work on superman/wonderwoman, which was hit and miss IMO.
Now if only Action could pick up the pace.

I enjoyed the 2-part storyline with Superboy and Robin as they are worst friends, best enemies. With this storyline, I can't see Superboy joining the Teen Titans anytime soon.

It reminds me of the Super sons series
Worlds_Finest_1974_221_01.jpg

The super sons have been amazing. The Superman title has been one of the top three best books to come out of Rebirth.

Finally caught up on Superman. Good stuff. :up: Jon and Damian are dynamite together, and Superman himself positively thrives as a family man.

CzRXrXqUkAAYs7r.jpg

I just flooded my basement.

Yeah, I can't wait for the next arc.

Clark teaming up with the Justice Incarnate to fight someone who's been playing Superman GO in the multiverse? Sign me the hell up.

Superman rebirth finally answered who is Clark Kent! (Damn I should've picked up on the clues much sooner It was their all along [blackout](Mxy)[/blackout].
1j5jew.jpg

Last edited:
Superman rebirth finally answered who is Clark Kent! (Damn I should've picked up on the clues much sooner It was their all along (Mxy).
I'm okay with this answer and had a similar suspicion.
1. It had to be a villain given one escaped from Oz's prison.
2. Krypto growled at 'Clark', meaning it was someone else.
3. The energy used was similar to Myxlplyx.

Poor Mxy... everybody forgot about him. Hopefully he and Supes can hash it out and things get back to normal. And if Clark plays it right he may have an ally in his corner with a grudge against Oz. It also seems like Jon is "inheriting" Mxy as a frienemy. Makes sense since trolling a superkid would be even more fun for Mxyzpltk.

recent issue of Supergirl was great, much better than the initial story arc.

also really enjoying the Superman Reborn story in Superman and Action. wasn't expecting Mxy and am eager to learn just who Oz is ( though one could guess it's probably Ozymandias from Watchmen ).

and, can't forget the fantastic Supergirl Being Super miniseries. No issue this month, but the 1st 2 issues were really good.

overall, it's a great time to be a Super comic fan.

overall, it's a great time to be a Super comic fan.
Yeah, it has me hooked like the mysterious days of 'Reign of the Supermen'. And to a lesser extent the whole electric blue Superman plotline which to be fair, did something bold with the character and had me wondering what would happen next/when and how Superman would change back.

Superman rebirth finally answered who is Clark Kent! (Damn I should've picked up on the clues much sooner It was their all along [blackout](Mxy)[/blackout].
1j5jew.jpg

I was a tad bit disappoint at the big reveal. It was sort of like watching it. Great movie and creepy as hell all the way up till the end when you find out it was a giant spider like creature. However it was still a great story line can't wait to see what happens next.

So if you've read Superwoman, you're probably not confused about what happened in Superman #19. Superman: Reborn spoilers ahead.

[BLACKOUT]The Red Energy from New-52 Superman and Lois is the source of Lana Lang's powers, a portion of it left her as both New-52 Supes and Lois said goodbye to Lana in a vision while she's comatose. Fast forward to Superman: Reborn and Jon who's been kidnapped in Mxy's pocket dimension sees two red energy orbs that he recognizes as a different version of his parents. Mxy is starts stealing Post Crisis Lois' and Clark's memories including the ones of Jon. Jon asks the red energy to help him and his parents against Mxy. The red energy combines with the Post-Crisis super family and now Superman is wearing a suit that's a combination of Post-Crisis and New-52 and Lois looks like a combo of both continuities as well.[/BLACKOUT]

Figured I'd explain that since a lot of people who haven't kept up with Superwoman are a little confused.

So if you've read Superwoman, you're probably not confused about what happened in Superman #19. Superman: Reborn spoilers ahead.

[BLACKOUT]The Red Energy from New-52 Superman and Lois is the source of Lana Lang's powers, a portion of it left her as both New-52 Supes and Lois said goodbye to Lana in a vision while she's comatose. Fast forward to Superman: Reborn and Jon who's been kidnapped in Mxy's pocket dimension sees two red energy orbs that he recognizes as a different version of his parents. Mxy is starts stealing Post Crisis Lois' and Clark's memories including the ones of Jon. Jon asks the red energy to help him and his parents against Mxy. The red energy combines with the Post-Crisis super family and now Superman is wearing a suit that's a combination of Post-Crisis and New-52 and Lois looks like a combo of both continuities as well.[/BLACKOUT]

Figured I'd explain that since a lot of people who haven't kept up with Superwoman are a little confused.

I was confused by this, too. as someone who hasn't been following all of the books and all of the issues.

so, what does this mean, then?

that the New 52 versions of Superman and Lois ( and all the other DC characters, I guess ) are separate entities that were "split off" from their regular counterparts?

I was confused by this, too. as someone who hasn't been following all of the books and all of the issues.

so, what does this mean, then?

that the New 52 versions of Superman and Lois ( and all the other DC characters, I guess ) are separate entities that were "split off" from their regular counterparts?

For now I think this is a thing that's unique to Superman. Remember, in the 90's where Superman split into Superman Blue and Superman Red. When Oz or Manhattan or whoever stole 10 years from the DCU Superman and Lois were split in half. Blue was Post-Crisis and Red was New-52.

Superman-19-DC-Comics-Rebirth-Superman-Reborn-Part-3-Spoilers-9-300x461.jpg

Last edited:
For now I think this is a thing that's unique to Superman. Remember, in the 90's where Superman split into Superman Blue and Superman Red. When Oz or Manhattan or whoever stole 10 years from the DCU Superman and Lois were split in half. Blue was Post-Crisis and Red was New-52.

ah, thanks. I'm really interested in how this storyline will conclude next week.

So Action Comics #976 did the unexpected bringing about a balance. Primarily with [blackout]Superman & Lois[/blackout]. While I wasn't entirely on board with cliffhanger. It makes sense and reintegrates Clark Kent|Superman in the world as a whole. Jon's definitely represents the best of Lois and Clark (Jonathan & Martha would be proud)

2ai1xds.jpg

2r27kux.jpg

14wsw7s.jpg

2ex64o0.jpg

2qs77me.jpg

72zy1j.jpg

fe1e01.jpg

oh8w9w.jpg

Going forward I'm very curious what this means for other characters and relationships such as Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash etc…

Reborn was excellent! I'm very excited about what will happen after it.

Supergirl #8 was a great read!!

It was so nice seeing Kal and Kara interact with each other following Rebirth, and it was especially nice seeing them HAPPY together. in contrast to (early) New 52, where Kara was angry and hostile towards Kal and towards the world in general.

it was also great finally seeing Jon and Kara interact, too, as well as Kara and Lois. hope we get to see more of that in the future.

I still find the whole Superman Reborn reset a bit confusing and how it has affected the history of other Super characters like Kara and how it reconciles their pre-52 history and 52 history.

oh, and do we know roughly how old Rebirth Superman is supposed to be or how old he was when he married Lois and had Jon?

Kara is supposed to be 16/17, right? I'm guessing Clark is right now maybe in his late 30s or early 40s?

Superman#22 was a good read, especially for the lois lane fans of the world.

If anyone has read the latest issue of Superman, something major has happened to Lois Lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"