The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important win for us but another underwhelming performance. I think our manager/team are trying to be sort of the Iceland of the tournament where hard work will compensate for lack of talent and you'll hope to squeeze out a 1-0 win or something similar.

Croatia vs Czech Republic now. Will be interesting to see how this affects our group.

Important win for us but another underwhelming performance. I think our manager/team are trying to be sort of the Iceland of the tournament where hard work will compensate for lack of talent and you'll hope to squeeze out a 1-0 win or something similar.
Maybe you can step it up in the knockout stages after you've played your way into the tournament and settled.

Penalty to Czech Republic.

1-0 Czech. Croatia in trouble in this group. Also England could be getting proper competition for top spot now. Might need a couple of goals against Scotland.

Perisic gets a great equaliser!

1-1 was the final score. England Scotland in 15 mins!!

That was ****ing dire..

All that hype, and that game was so lame. My brother almost fell asleep.

Oof no matter how much you lower your expectations with England they always seem to come in under the bar somehow. A dire performance and while not fatal leaves a lot more questions than answers at the moment, absolutely nothing worked with what we tried, Kane, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Rashford none of them were really able to produce anything of note and the biggest worry is Kane who looked well off it tonight. I dont think our negative tactics help any of these players but even then just basic passing and moving seemed beyond them which isnt exactly reliant on formation or tactics. I think some of these players have been a little overhyped too early in their careers (A common problem with us anyway) but Southgate is a lesser manager than who they usually work with anyway, it was set up far too negative against much lower level opponents in Scotland who just took heart in our lack of ambition and after an initial 10/15 minute spurt looked more likely to nick a goal themselves without looking overly dangerous, decent result for them as they can go into the final game as a straight knockout with Croatia at Hamden now boyed by this result.

For England we need to make some hard decision's with where this is going and perhaps try a different combination up top which isnt relly clicking yet, perhaps Grealish/Rashford/Sancho or throw a Calvert Lewin in there for the Czech game, or drop a holding midfielder to generate a more attack minded approach and stop being so damn negative against weaker opposition. At the moment if it is coming home, its going to via Greece circa 2004.

Its not a fatal result but needs to serve as a massive wake up call otherwise this is ending like every other attempt of the past 50 years and Southgate will find himself in a hell much worse than the England job, yes, thats right he will find himself managing Spurs. Think on Gareth, think on.

My work was so busy that despite having the match on I saw about 10 seconds of it and didn’t take in anything from the commentary. Sounds like we were rubbish though according to what I’m hearing now. Will watch it when I get home unless it’s really that bad.

After the Croatia performance, I was expecting 3-5 changes because despite winning, England were crap & created next to nothing the whole game just like tonight only worse because Scotland are more stubborn.

The way they were set up as well, my God, no disrespect, but it's Scotland.. not 2002 Brazil. 2 holding/defensive midfielders, against Scotland, at home, for the full 90 minutes.. it's almost like he was playing for a draw.

Gareth Southgate is the type of person that wears 2 seatbelts when he drives his car to the shop & back.

England shouldn't need a double defensive pivot against Scotland considering all the attacking talent they have (I understand it more against Croatia) but then again Southgate is a painfully mediocre manager so I guess he's doubling down to be 'safe'.

How bad was Reece James? Man alive, crap defensively and offered nothing going forward, appreciate he was on Robertson and Tiernays flank but he was just a passenger.

I spoke before about a lack of goals if Kane isn't on it and once again we were toothless. Indeed the worst part is as much stick as Sterling gets at least he tried to force the issue. Kanes not on it but he at least got in behind once, as soon as he came off we had less than nothing going forward. We're meant to have these options off the bench but none of them seem to be to be able to come in from the cold and make an impact.

Pickford, Mings and Shaw probably the only ones who can say they did alright.

Last edited:
England shouldn't need a double defensive pivot against Scotland considering all the attacking talent they have (I understand it more against Croatia) but then again Southgate is a painfully mediocre manager so I guess he's doubling down to be 'safe'.

Honestly I feel like we do need 2 in there, especially when Dykes was dropping deep and winning everything in the air

Seen the match now and pretty dire. I wish we could get back to the old days where we gave it everything and had fluency even when we lost or didn’t win games we should have.

France vs Hungary now. I missed the first 12 or so minutes. They really should have scored just now! Hope we get some more great attacking football from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"