The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was not a lot of people's finest hour.

UEFA probe England over Euro 2020 final chaos
Yeah, plenty of people covering themselves in disgrace. If the recent stuff was used as a reason to avoid giving us a tournament in future I wouldn't complain.

At least there is one positive for me to take away from us losing on pens. These guys' experience being nowhere near as worth it.

Good to see a bunch of friends posting this.

Edit: took out the image as it’s of a real person I know (didn’t realise when posting) - was a “we star with our 3 Lions against racism” featuring Sancho, Saka and Rashford.

Last edited:
Wembley steward 'had pockets stuffed with cash bribes' as thugs gatecrashed Euro 2020 final (yahoo.com)

Wembley steward 'had pockets stuffed with cash bribes' as thugs gatecrashed Euro 2020 final

Yeah this always going to be the problem, too much hype and 55 years wait etc etc, people were going to be desperate, egged on by alcohol and drugs. Not an excuse but this is how some will react unfortunately and always some see a chance to make money out of a situation.

Its just lucky that no serious injuries or worse have been reported from too many getting into Wembley, could have been a real disaster and alarming considering our history. Clearly not enough police/realiable security was around to stop this happening. Not sure we are in a position to host a world cup with scenes like this or we need to sort out our security much better. Having the United v Liverpool game called off with fans forcing their way into the stadium was not a good look either.

Yeah this always going to be the problem, too much hype and 55 years wait etc etc, people were going to be desperate, egged on by alcohol and drugs. Not an excuse but this is how some will react unfortunately and always some see a chance to make money out of a situation.

Its just lucky that no serious injuries or worse have been reported from too many getting into Wembley, could have been a real disaster and alarming considering our history. Clearly not enough police/realiable security was around to stop this happening. Not sure we are in a position to host a world cup with scenes like this or we need to sort out our security much better. Having the United v Liverpool game called off with fans forcing their way into the stadium was not a good look either.
It’s a bit of a unique one as the COVID restrictions meant people knew for sure there would be many empty seats that they could try and get away with. Hard to do at club games with season tickets and mostly being full. But we need to crack down on everyone involved in all the crap around these matches to prove we are worthy in future. Even booing an anthem doesn’t happen by mistake. Just get rid of these people from football. Instant life bans and off to the cells.

It’s a bit of a unique one as the COVID restrictions meant people knew for sure there would be many empty seats that they could try and get away with. Hard to do at club games with season tickets and mostly being full. But we need to crack down on everyone involved in all the crap around these matches to prove we are worthy in future. Even booing an anthem doesn’t happen by mistake. Just get rid of these people from football. Instant life bans and off to the cells.

Yeah the whole pandemic factor also didnt help the situation either, as you say people knew there was "spare" seats in the stadium to try and get to and being locked up for so long people were always going to go OTT once restrictions lifted. No doubt the first weekend of full restrictions lifted will be an unpleasant evening for some folk in the police/medical profession having to deal with the first weekends of packed pubs and then full football crowds again. I fear worse stories may be on the way, we shall see.

The booing isnt a great look either, although I'm 100% certain happens in other countries as well, current players have said as much but even doing it in retaliation looks petty and small minded although its a minor issue compared to other stuff going on for me at the moment. There's too much pent up aggression from and against England at the moment to make it welcoming festival for all, its a recipe for disaster at the moment.

Yeah the whole pandemic factor also didnt help the situation either, as you say people knew there was "spare" seats in the stadium to try and get to and being locked up for so long people were always going to go OTT once restrictions lifted. No doubt the first weekend of full restrictions lifted will be an unpleasant evening for some folk in the police/medical profession having to deal with the first weekends of packed pubs and then full football crowds again. I fear worse stories may be on the way, we shall see.

The booing isnt a great look either, although I'm 100% certain happens in other countries as well, current players have said as much but even doing it in retaliation looks petty and small minded although its a minor issue compared to other stuff going on for me at the moment. There's too much pent up aggression from and against England at the moment to make it welcoming festival for all, its a recipe for disaster at the moment.
The thing is that booing happened in multiple games and it wouldn’t have been the same people getting tickets for every match. I feel that accepting it the first time encouraged those who did it the next time and the time after that, and each time gets more and more hooligans to feel braver. Just imagine there was a riot where a bunch of minority fans were attacked. If nothing were done all those people in the shadows would come to the forefront and be looking for opportunities.

I think this country can kiss goodbye to hosting any major tournaments for the foreseeable future.

Yeah the last 48 hours have been thoroughly depressing in some reactions, while also entirely predictable shamefully so but also there is a silver lining with these players and team and the way they have conducted themselves and been a credit to our nation even if some of those so called "fans"/"Bandwagon jumpers" have done things off the pitch to drag our nation through the mud at the same time, I guess nothings ever perfect in this country (or any for that matter) but there is always signs of hope around and good people will always outshine the worst of us.

Although Sunday didnt go our way and we are still dealing with the aftermath of it all and some uglyness from our perspective its easy to lose sight of what was overall a wonderful tournament on the whole and there were many uplifting and happy moments even from some of the most horrific events that occurred during the event, its been a real emotional rollercoaster of good and bad and that is why we love the game so as it reflects life, good and bad, so well.

When I think back to Euro 2020 its going to stick out for so many reasons, just for the way it was at such a unique time what with the pandemic moving it back a year and things still not quite back to normal, the second day when a player nearly lost his life but thankfully recovered to tell the tale and his team mates being a credit to the Danish nation, that crazy 48 hours when we had two mad games back to back both ending 3-3 in 90 minutes and then England v Germany which was an amazing sight to see Wembley almost full and bouncing again, just the sound was incredible. Italy ran out deserved winners in the end and played some great football at times but everyone contributed and we had plenty of great games and loads of stunning goals which is what you want out of these things.

One of my favourite images from this whole tournament is the England celebration after the Denmark semi, it encapsulate's a moment when we were all together even if it was just for moment...........
000_9EC6MR.jpg
I couldn’t really talk about it straight after as the disappointment was too much coming so close, being ahead on penalties at home and earlier ahead for a big part of normal time. As you say it was a great tournament regardless with many good games. I do like our players and the overall current England setup and Southgate is easy to get behind regardless of results. He feels like a genuinely good guy. At some point I will look back on it all as it definitely united most people in the county for the last month and being in the final was a feeling we’ve never had before.

Apparently Harry Maguire’s dad suffered suspected broken ribs after being caught up in the Wembley violence. This is beyond unacceptable with a player giving everything on the pitch and having to worry about their loved ones in the stands.

Apparently Harry Maguire’s dad suffered suspected broken ribs after being caught up in the Wembley violence. This is beyond unacceptable with a player giving everything on the pitch and having to worry about their loved ones in the stands.
The F1 driver Lando Norris had his watch stolen off his wrist. It was like they were trying to prove everyone right about England still being the land of hooligans.

Definately needs a long break, holiday and some down time to get the past 12 months out of him, been a tough period for him for soooo many reasons. Get the Op done, recover and recharge the batteries, get in a good head space and then go again in time.
He really shouldn't have went to the Euros.

I couldn’t really talk about it straight after as the disappointment was too much coming so close, being ahead on penalties at home and earlier ahead for a big part of normal time. As you say it was a great tournament regardless with many good games. I do like our players and the overall current England setup and Southgate is easy to get behind regardless of results. He feels like a genuinely good guy. At some point I will look back on it all as it definitely united most people in the county for the last month and being in the final was a feeling we’ve never had before.

Yes its going to take a little longer to recover from this one, getting SO so close at home, it seemed like it was there for the taking the script was written but for a width of a post and couple of pens missed it might have been. But thats football, we know this, might be time for a little breather from the game time to restock and mentally recharge before we go again with a new season and the new problems we will face that, that will bring along no doubt, its been a mad summer.

This Maguire stuff really makes me angry. The lad is giving it everything and we can’t protect player’s loved ones in a home final.

Yes its going to take a little longer to recover from this one, getting SO so close at home, it seemed like it was there for the taking the script was written but for a width of a post and couple of pens missed it might have been. But thats football, we know this, might be time for a little breather from the game time to restock and mentally recharge before we go again with a new season and the new problems we will face that, that will bring along no doubt, its been a mad summer.
I kind of went into shock as the final penalty went in and just wanted to get to bed asap! Didn’t think about it at all for a few days, although the other nasty stuff happening gave me something to focus on and talk about. Still haven’t rewatched any of it and certainly not the pens! If this same match had been the semi I think I could have quite easily accepted losing to Italy, even on pens, as the final would still have been another big hurdle, whoever it was against.

Messi verbally agrees 5 year Barcelona contract.

I kind of went into shock as the final penalty went in and just wanted to get to bed asap! Didn’t think about it at all for a few days, although the other nasty stuff happening gave me something to focus on and talk about. Still haven’t rewatched any of it and certainly not the pens! If this same match had been the semi I think I could have quite easily accepted losing to Italy, even on pens, as the final would still have been another big hurdle, whoever it was against.

Yeah felt like a mighty anticlimax after such excitement the weeks leading up but of course this can always happen in sport and football especially. Have sort of gotten used to it with United now but with England you dont expect to get to finals and get this close. :funny: Yeah the last few days have felt very empty and numb, especially with all the depressing news coming out of it when it could have had the ultimate happy ending but as fans we should be used to it but still hurts when it happens. This felt a bit different to the World Cup when we went out as that was a bit of surprise to get that far, this time we had a genuine shot, at home, and got so very close.

Messi verbally agrees 5 year Barcelona contract.

I don't know about the 5 year bit, 34 now, 39 when the deal expires, even at 50% less wages he'll still be on about £300k - £400k a week if his rumoured preposterous wages were accurate.

That's a lot of money to commit to a 34 year old for 5 years, sporting decline can hit like a ton of bricks at any moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"