The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I think X-Men holds up fine, you just have to remember it's a cartoon for 7 year olds, so judging it from the prism of an adult j. 2024 isn't exactly fair. Of course it will be corny to us today, most cartoons are with very few exceptions

I think X-Men holds up fine, you just have to remember it's a cartoon for 7 year olds, so judging it from the prism of an adult j. 2024 isn't exactly fair. Of course it will be corny to us today, most cartoons are with very few exceptions

Granted it is TV-Y7, but even with that in mind, they did tackle themes of prejudice and bigotry in an effective way.

Resonated with me as a black kid watching it then, still holds up to me now, IMO.

Granted it is TV-Y7, but even with that in mind, they did tackle themes of prejudice and bigotry in an effective way.

Resonated with me as a black kid watching it then, still holds up to me now, IMO.
Oh I agree with the themes it tackles and such. But whenever I hear it hasn't aged well I feel like people are expecting it to be a super adult show. When it was made for children to sell toys lol

Speaking of older cartoons, I wonder if The Tick is streaming anywhere? I watched it here and there as a kid, but I never gave it a fair shake.

Hand-drawn animation can also be prettier than computer-drawn animation, which helps the original X-Men cartoon.

I’m also one of those people who related to the X-Men as a kid when I watched the cartoons and read the comics. Grew up with a physical disability and a lot of kids mocked me behind my back. That didn’t get me too down, though.

Remember wanting a hover chair like Professor X, and my mom didn’t know how to tell me those didn’t exist. :funny:

Been rewatching the animated series along with 97, still awesome for me, aside from some dialogue and animation issues!

Oh I agree with the themes it tackles and such. But whenever I hear it hasn't aged well I feel like people are expecting it to be a super adult show. When it was made for children to sell toys lol
Can't speak for others, but when I say it hasn't aged well, I'm specifically talking about the animation. Even when comparing it to something else that came out at the same time like Batman:TAS

Animation and voice acting for me. ESPECIALLY when considering BTAS came out the same year. Totally different league imo.
Yeah but that show is a unicorn, lol. Most of the shows of the era are more like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs or Biker Mice From Mars or Street Sharks quality than they are Batman

Yeah but that show is a unicorn, lol. Most of the shows of the era are more like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs or Biker Mice From Mars or Street Sharks quality than they are Batman

Hmmm, I dont know about that, I'm a 90's kid and I can tell you there were a lot of cartoons from that time that were trying to break the mold be more than just a silly kids show. Batman TAS of course, but X-Men and Spiderman did not talk down to kids either and really aimed to be dramatic and weighty (even though Spiderman really got hampered by Avi Arad and Fox's censorship). But then you had other cartoons like Hey Arnold!, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Gargoyles etc that were really trying to aim higher than their intended audience. The beauty of all those cartoons is they worked on a base level as kids shows but any adults watching them could catch and appreciate all of the adult oriented material and jokes.

Hmmm, I dont know about that, I'm a 90's kid and I can tell you there were a lot of cartoons from that time that were trying to break the mold be more than just a silly kids show. Batman TAS of course, but X-Men and Spiderman did not talk down to kids either and really aimed to be dramatic and weighty (even though Spiderman really got hampered by Avi Arad and Fox's censorship). But then you had other cartoons like Hey Arnold!, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Gargoyles etc that were really trying to aim higher than their intended audience. The beauty of all those cartoons is they worked on a base level as kids shows but any adults watching them could catch and appreciate all of the adult oriented material and jokes.
The cartoon network ones were late 90s though, while X-Men started early 90s. Not exactly 1 for 1 comparison. The Nick ones I can agree, which is why most of those still have followings

Preach brother.

IMG_9931.gif

Enjoying his work on the show so far but Beau "Bottoms are disease receptacles" DeMayo continuing to comment on the show after he was fired from it like nothing happened is really funny. Nothing wrong with it, per se, he still wrote it and we don't know why he was fired. It's just amusing.

He wrote all of season 2 also so we’ll likely be continuing to hear from him.

The show was greenlit for season 3 right?

He wrote all of season 2 also so we’ll likely be continuing to hear from him.

The show was greenlit for season 3 right?
Yeah so it'll be interesting to see the reaction once S3 rolls around
Hopefully people give it a fair shot and aren't deciding already that "the original writer's gone so the show sucks now"

gif-of-gargoyles-goliath-gif.gif

Man I wish that show didn't fall off so quick
Would've loved to see where they could've gone with it
Screw Spider Man or Iron Man or whatever... give me Gargoyles '97
(and not a live action show, that s**t'll be way too expensive... cartoon, or big budget movie)

A lot of modern, digital 2D animation and art cuts corners for various reasons when it comes to details, shading and shadows. That’s part of why a lot of animation and art from the 80s and 90s looked so good. There was simpler looking art and animation then and before too, it’s just more common now.

Last edited:
A lot of modern, digital 2D animation and art cuts corners for various reasons when it comes to details, shading and shadows. That’s part of why a lot of animation and art from the 80s and 90s looked so good. There was simpler looking art and animation then and before too, it’s just more common now.

I assure you, they cut just as many corners.

I'm just rolling my eyes at the Marvel fans who want X97 to bring about a sequoot of the 90's Marvel Animated Universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"