• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - Part 153

Status
Not open for further replies.
truth-hurts110909231932.jpg

Or as John Campea put it, Joker in his Night at the Roxbury suit. I can't believe i never thought of that until friggin Campea said it.

I keep defending Leto because im sure his acting skills will be awesome but i can't defend his look. Not yet. It's like a Joker parody.

Two-Face scarred from the nose down sounds like another parody. SNL would do something like that.

:up:

Yeah I love the Night at The Roxbury suit, hilarious. I've warmed up to it. Snyder I know is an Executive Producer and overall will have some leverage in the DCCU and he is a big TDKR fan. And this kinda reminds me of TDKR Joker. Who both Miller and even Grant Morrison felt Joker is this sorta David Bowie larger than life kinda character.

DKR Joker is a lot more sophisticated than what's been shown of Leto's Joker. There are some visual allusions sure but I definitely prefer DKR Joker. I'm still not on board with the thuggish, pimp thing Leto is doing.

There is a way around the 'damaged'.....heh....damage on the character design. Say Joker, the vainglorious fashion-guru that he is (at least in this incarnation), has elected to shave his forehead to look more erm...I dunno, more masculine or something. Like how upper class chicks from the Victorian era used to shave their foreheads to get that desired aesthetic look. His real hairline is actually much lower, propitiously covering his damaged tattoo! There. That is how the next director of the DCU to tackle the clown prince — that is not Ayer— will 'fix' the Joker.

Hooray.

^ Which version is that to the left of Romero's Joker? Looks very good.

Batman: Under the Red Hood
Joker voiced by John DiMaggio

We're living in an age where people will seriously defend a Joker covered in horrendous tattoos, including on his face, so it's hard to tell if someone is kidding or not if they think a Two Face who's just scarred from the nose down would be better.

Ohhh, the horror!

Anytime i see a gif from the show Gotham, i want to throw up in a bin of Shumacher batman movies.

I went off that show after ten or so episodes. Just got worse and worse. Penguin is the only good thing about it.
It was like 6 or something like that for me. Even the Penguin wasn't enough to keep me going. He was the best part but i found the actor to be a little too flamboyant for the role. If im going to watch a comic book series, it's going to be Daredevil.

My problem with Gotham is that it's essentially a show trapped in the early 2000's. It's basically the series WB wanted to make back then instead of Smallville, only that the genre as a whole is far gone from the "wink wink, nodge nodge" days. I don't just mean superhero shows, but TV shows in general. I saw the first 5 episodes and even when the show was good, it was still retreading old ground from the 2000's.

Its whole pitch is inherently flawed from its inception, and that fact will get more and more obvious with each season. In just a few years, we'll look back on it and regret not doing a Daredevil-like Netflix series or a Sherlock-like miniseries for Batman...if we don't regret it already.

I don't think the concept of the show was the problem. I was and still am on board with the idea of exploring Bruce's childhood, Gordon's rise to power, and a Gotham far before the advent of Batman. Largely because those stories have not been explored very much before. The problem lies in the poor execution as it usually does. If the show was more like Gotham Central it would have worked out much better. I'm actually hoping those stories will be told again someway, sometime in the future so they get their proper dues. Especially Bruce's childhood. There's a whole decade or so between the Wayne murders and his training that has barely been explored.

Pretty much this. I do think a series starring Jim Gordon could work. But not something so tonally dysfunctional.

Anyway, Arkham Knight has offered its own ending to the Batman legend. I was curious what folks here think about how it contrasts with Rises as a finale to the story and legend.

^ Everybody remember spoiler tags if that convo's going to happen, pretty please. :)

I dont think ill play it for a while, if i even do, but what is the ending DACrowe? I dont mind knowing the details.

Batman finds Arkham Knight and both came to an agreement that they'll throw the biggest pool party in all of Gotham!

:batman::up:

I dont think ill play it for a while, if i even do, but what is the ending DACrowe? I dont mind knowing the details.

I have not played it either. And will not for at least several months. I don't have the time...or a next-gen console. ;)

But I did watch the ending on YouTube, because it honestly might be a year before I get around to spending that kind of money on a video game machine again. So, if you want to know...

It turns out that Arkham Knight is Jason Todd (I think) and that he is going all Red Hood on the bad guys, but ultimately joins forces with Batman and his two Robins again.

Batman is unmasked and "executed" by the Scarecrow on live television in front of all of Gotham, but his deepest fear is finding out how interconnected he is with the Joker who, yes, comes back for a Mark Hamill cameo as a voice inside Batman's subconscious. Batman eventually overcomes Scarecrow's fear toxin and gives him a taste of his own medicine (not very inspired or original, really).

He then as Bruce Wayne Batman continues his quest to clean up the city with everyone knowing his secret identity. He is to be arrested at the end of the night once law is restored. But once players get 100%, you see Batman return to Wayne Manor where all of Gotham watches him from outside via news vans. He initiates a "Martha" code with Alfred, which seems to blow up Wayne Manor and supposedly killing both Bruce and Alfred in it.

A year later, everyone has moved on but a mysterious Batman using Scarecrow's fear toxins stops a mugger from killing a young boy and his parents. It is left intentionally ambiguous as to whether it is Bruce Wayne returned, or any of the three Robins who are all alive in the game (apparently Tim Drake, not Dick Grayson, is even marrying Barbara Gordon in this continuity!). So, Bruce probably survived, but gamers can pick which Batman is continuing the story on after that.

I like it well enough for the most part, but the ambiguity feels like a cop out. They should give a definitive end point to their journey.

FINALLY watched The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy. Excellent doco. Makin' me feel things and whatnot. :up:

Honestly, regarding the Arkham finale, I think I prefer it to The Dark Knight Rises. I'm not sure.

I still LOVE the ending to The Dark Knight Rises (excluding Blake), but Knight may have taken the edge for me.

FINALLY watched The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy. Excellent doco. Makin' me feel things and whatnot. :up:

Yes, excellent documentary. I just love the whole approach Nolan took to the character and material, and seeing him and others talk about their thought process for developing each movie was fascinating.

Yesterday I watched the film again. They played back to back Batman Begins and Rises on the TV. Since I didn't want to watch it with commercials, I watched the blu-ray disc. The film is certainly rough at some parts, it has an episodic structure that I appreciated more this time. But the battle in Gotham and the ending is awesome! I still love the ending montage, all from Blake's name, Gordon's reaction to the Bat-Signal and Alfred's being happy for Bruce moving on, giving life a chance.

I thought the Arkham finale, like the TDKR finale, was stupid.

Especially because... [BLACKOUT]when Batman's mask is taken off and he's revealed to be Bruce Wayne, it could have simply been explained away to the public that that Batman was an impostor. How? They have Tommy Elliot, who looks exactly like Bruce Wayne, in custody. Just say that it was Elliot, and that the real Batman's identity is unconfirmed. Batman can thus use "the old fake Joker gag" against Scarecrow.[/BLACKOUT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"