Thor: Love and Thunder | Official News and Speculation Thread

I just beat you to it!

As far as this being sort of Thor’s “midlife crisis”, I get the idea with the whole personal rediscovery angle but I wouldn’t call it necessarily that, more like an earlier time in Thor’s life where he needs to set his priorities straight and take up responsibilities instead of “being on the road” and just enjoying life.

And I say this because according to Loki, Asgardians live roughly 5000 years and Thor is about 1600 years old which adds up to a human in his 30’s. So yeh while I understand the need for him to take a break after all the stuff that happened to him recently it’s probably time for him to get back on the Ragnarok track and be the Allfather, protector of his people, Earth and all of the 9 realms.

As far as this being sort of Thor’s “midlife crisis”, I get the idea with the whole personal rediscovery angle but I wouldn’t call it necessarily that, more like an earlier time in Thor’s life where he needs to set his priorities straight and take up responsibilities instead of “being on the road” and just enjoying life.

And I say this because according to Loki, Asgardians live roughly 5000 years and Thor is about 1600 years old which adds up to a human in his 30’s. So yeh while I understand the need for him to take a break after all the stuff that happened to him recently it’s probably time for him to get back on the Ragnarok track and be the Allfather, protector of his people, Earth and all of the 9 realms.

That's true, but it seemed like TDW got retconned with Ragnarok because TDW stressed that Asgardians weren't gods but Ragnarok went the opposite direction and embraced their god hood.

So they may live longer than 5,000 years now, but it may not be I'm just speculating.

That's true, but it seemed like TDW got retconned with Ragnarok because TDW stressed that Asgardians weren't gods but Ragnarok went the opposite direction and embraced their god hood.

So they may live longer than 5,000 years now, but it may not be I'm just speculating.

Thor does say that he thought Odin killed Surtur half a million years ago in Ragnarok.

Thor does say that he thought Odin killed Surtur half a million years ago in Ragnarok.
I took that as sort of a joke from Thor, like an off hand remark. Because if that would be accurate then even more questions arise.

Hope Valkyrie/Brunhilde rides that Pegasus in the movie

I took that as sort of a joke from Thor, like an off hand remark. Because if that would be accurate then even more questions arise.

Yeah, like TDW (its still canon, even if we hate it) makes it clear that the last Convergence happened 5,000 years before the events of that movie, and that Bor was still the King of Asgard at that time. Assuming Odin was born around that time, that would mean that his death in 2017 would line up nicely with Loki's comment about Asgardians living for 5,000 years.

Its all a bit wonky though, because that would mean that Hela was born substantially less than 5,000 years ago, which should have meant that there were people on Asgard in 2017 old enough to remember her.

Speaking of which: what do we think that odds are of seeing Hopkins as Odin in L&T?

Last edited:

He's not necessarily being literal but I rather take that as another sign that complete contradiction of the facts established in TDW is on the table, as we know that the Asgardian gods truly are gods now, which TDW specifically made it clear that they aren't. TDW is very clearly a film made where the MCU was moving towards being less fantastical and more quasi scientific, and that course was strongly altered later on. The info on the timeline is stated by Odin, who could be an unreliable narrator as he's hiding Asgard's past, but even that explanation is too weak to cover for the actual gods issue.

The three Thor films just don't create a story that fits together well so I won't take anything for granted from TDW, which is the one Marvel seems to like the least. I'll wait until we get more information in the Waititi films before I treat the canon of the 5000 year old non-gods with any credibility. My bet is that Waititi doesn't even want to have a clear past but rather want a mysterious mythology.

Yeah, like TDW (its still canon, even if we hate it) makes it clear that the last Convergence happened 5,000 years before the events of that movie, and that Bor was still the King of Asgard at that time. Assuming Odin was born around that time, that would mean that his death in 2017 would line up nicely with Loki's comment about Asgardians living for 5,000 years.

Its all a bit wonky though, because that would mean that Hela was born substantially less than 5,000 years ago, which should have meant that there were people on Asgard in 2017 old enough to remember her.

Speaking of which: what do we think that odds are of seeing Hopkins as Odin in L&T?
Likely. Specially if they somehow bring Valhalla into play.

He's not necessarily being literal but I rather take that as another sign that complete contradiction of the facts established in TDW is on the table, as we know that the Asgardian gods truly are gods now, which TDW specifically made it clear that they aren't.

I guess it depends on what you consider a "god" to be. The Asgardians obviously aren't gods in the Judeo-Christian sense of the world (omnipotent, immortal, etc), but rather gods in a more modest sense (extremely powerful, with certain special divine attributes, although this only seems to apply to Odin and his kids).

Odin's comment about how the Asgardians "are born, live and die" just like humans doesn't by itself mean that they aren't gods since we know that the same can be said of much more powerful beings in the MCU (e.g. the Celestials), albeit over a much longer time frame.

Personally, I've always found Odin's "We are not gods" remark to be more of a put-down to Loki than anything else. A way of telling Loki that he didn't have the right to decide the fate of humanity simply because he was stronger than them.

The three Thor films just don't create a story that fits together well so I won't take anything for granted from TDW, which is the one Marvel seems to like the least. I'll wait until we get more information in the Waititi films before I treat the canon of the 5000 year old non-gods with any credibility. My bet is that Waititi doesn't even want to have a clear past but rather want a mysterious mythology.

The problem is that the Asgardians living for 5,000 years lines up with the fact that the last Convergence before TDW was 5,000 years ago, when Bor was still king.

Whether we like it or not, TDW is canon, and EG basically confirmed this.

I guess it depends on what you consider a "god" to be. The Asgardians obviously aren't gods in the Judeo-Christian sense of the world (omnipotent, immortal, etc), but rather gods in a more modest sense (extremely powerful, with certain special divine attributes, although this only seems to apply to Odin and his kids).

Odin's comment about how the Asgardians "are born, live and die" just like humans doesn't by itself mean that they aren't gods since we know that the same can be said of much more powerful beings in the MCU (e.g. the Celestials), albeit over a much longer time frame.

Personally, I've always found Odin's "We are not gods" remark to be more of a put-down to Loki than anything else. A way of telling Loki that he didn't have the right to decide the fate of humanity simply because he was stronger than them.

The problem is that the Asgardians living for 5,000 years lines up with the fact that the last Convergence before TDW was 5,000 years ago, when Bor was still king.

The Norse gods weren't immortal like, say, the Greek pantheon so that part isn't relevant to their godhood, and neither is omnipotence since the vast majority of gods that have been worshiped in human history have not been like that. They are also most certainly gods in the comics, which further establishes how those two traits are irrelevant to godhood in Marvel. If anything it's rather quite clear that gods definitely aren't the peak of power in the Marvel universe.

The MCU was less fantastical in the beginning where the Asgardians were said to be "like gods" but with time they've embraced the more magical side and now there very clearly are gods around, and the Asgardians certainly are among them now. The "we are not gods" line doesn't make sense as a put-down to me if it's not true. If he had only said that Loki isn't a god then it seems like a put-down, but he just explains why they aren't gods. What makes sense to me is that it was meant as the actual line they were going with in the earlier times of the MCU.

TDW is certainly canon in the sense that the events happened but that doesn't mean that parts of it can be retconned and it certainly looks like they have done just that. It could happen again as well.

I saw the theater preview when I went to see MoM the other day and absolutely LOVED it. I'm really psyched for this movie.

Behind the scenes look from Empire Magazine.

FShJB7lWQAEf3oC

Interesting the lady is holding on to Stormbreaker and Zeus bolt of lightning in the background.

Does the Empire issue offer a closer look, or is it just this picture?

Perhaps we're gonna see the two lightning gods fighting side by side?
Who knows… it would surely be cool to see 2/3 lightning/thunder gods doing some awesome combos together. Maybe even Thor managing to use Zeus lightning bolts… that would be a pretty sweet. But with Gorr around I would keep those expectations in check. :D
Does the Empire issue offer a closer look, or is it just this picture?
I don’t know. It might be those 2 pictures an the article.

The “still photographer” for TLT.

FSl2nU6WUAAUHQa

The Eternals being much older than 5000 years old bothera bit, it made the Asgardians seem less impressive.

The Eternals being much older than 5000 years old bothera bit, it made the Asgardians seem less impressive.

Well, it kinda makes sense given that they're androids and not living beings. They don't age at all. Ever (see: Sprite).

Whereas Asgardians do age and eventually get old and die. It just takes a really long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"