Rise of the Beasts Transformers: Rise of the Beasts General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

I wasn’t particularly expecting good reviews. Still very much up for watching the Maximals roll out and hopefully we at least get great visuals and action choreography as some of the reviews suggest.

Honestly it very much felt like another Michael Bay Transformers film based on the trailers. I don't know why people had higher hopes for it.

It was fine. And that probably makes it sound terrible but really it operates similar to a kaiju film for me. Cringey things happening related to humans, but at least here robots get a lot of screentime and the battles are way easier to make out what's happening, which is a BIG plus. I can see myself rewatching it at home.

Really misses Bumblebee's heart but better than Bay's films to me, though I acknowledge Bay's felt more eventful.

Just came back from a preview screening. Really liked this one but I'll give it two scores: 6/10 for originality, 8/10 for execution.

You could call it formulaic and campy for sure. It didn't really do anything groundbreaking. But it was incredibly entertaining - there were just two human lead characters (a guy and a girl who both seemed about 20-ish - and to the film's credit, it didn't try to insert an unneeded romance between them, but just made them good friends by the end), and the action was exciting and easy to follow. Yes it was all basically giant CGI robots smashing into and blasting at each other, but the setpieces were all done pretty well, and had plenty of moments that were clearly made to get a reaction out of an audience.

I never saw Beast Wars back in the day so can't speak to any adaptation of that. But this was exactly the type of quintessential summer blockbuster that was full of fun, suspense, & action, had broad crowd appeal, and was also well-made enough overall that there weren't any glaring issues with it. Blockbusters that can do that are pretty solid in my book.

I'd easily put this up there with Bumblebee and Bay's first Transformers movie. I haven't seen at least two (might be three) of the Bayformers movies though. :o I know I didn't see AOE or TLK, but not sure I remember catching DOTM.

Btw DAT ENDING totally has me stoked for a sequel. I wouldn't mind these filmmakers back to make it!

Last edited:
The film was entertaining much like with Bumblebee and the first Transformers film. The Maximals are a good addition to the franchise. Optimus is slightly jaded in his character persona than previously seen . They give Primal a much more kind and wise, older father-type figure personality. The action was fairly straightforward and easy to follow. Overall I enjoyed my theatrical experience. I will say the twist at the end definitely had me excited for possible sequel and crossovers.
Yo Joe

So anyone else hoping they would have just done a full on Beast Wars adaptation instead?
Yes, me.

The three characters from Beast Wars looked great and a change of scenery (early Earth, pre humans) would have been refreshing.

But this is better than Transformers 1 to 5. Bumblebee the solo isn't really memorable but personally, the line up for this is better. Though a lot of them were just decorations and added for action. Cheetah and Rhino had disappointing roles imo.

It’s Cheetor and Rhinox and your totally right about them having nothing to do in their roles.
I'm not very familiar with their names.

When I was watching Beast Wars, I just called them through the animal they are based from.

Just came back from seeing this, besides a few cringy scenes with the humans actors. I thought this was a pretty solid movie..No where near better than "bumblebee"

sidenote: Wish the studio would of let "Bumblebee's" director take over this trilogy. If he even wanted to do it.

Yea someone mentioned Prime being too jaded and they were right but I still enjoyed all of TFs in this verison. Good coherent dialogue between them. The villains were cold blooded and that's how they should be.

Was never into Beast Wars. G1 was more my childhood but I enjoyed them on screen as well, plus their final battle cry at the end was dope to me..

Fight scenes were good, but I have to "take a couple of points" off for the movie copying "Endgame's" dramatic final battle scene, but still good, waaay better than any of Bay's crap

Good twist at the end. But I hope they don't not explore that anytime soon.

Last edited:
This movie I don't think was good. But I was entertained. It was sort of so bad it's good at times. True return to the Transformers movie formula Michael Bay used every single time. Bumblebee was legit really good, and this one was bad but entertaining

Is this supposed to be in continuity with the Bay ones? Cause i think they are difficult to logic your way into these being same universe

As someone who doesn't know much of anything about the Transformers lore and only seen the first two Bay movies and Bumblebee, I enjoyed this. I got my entertainment value out of it and thoroughly liked the third act, even if they did copy Endgame a bit

This movie I don't think was good. But I was entertained. It was sort of so bad it's good at times. True return to the Transformers movie formula Michael Bay used every single time. Bumblebee was legit really good, and this one was bad but entertaining

Is this supposed to be in continuity with the Bay ones? Cause i think they are difficult to logic your way into these being same universe

I am curious. What in this movie reminds you of what Bay did? I did not see it one bit in anyway besides big robots fighting even then. The fight scenes were way better in this movie than Bay's Transformers.

It’s Cheetor and Rhinox and your totally right about them having nothing to do in their roles.
Wow that sucks because definitely Cheetor was my favorite of the Maximals as a kid. Still looking forward to the movie. Taking my cousins so hopefully they’ll enjoy it.

I am curious. What in this movie reminds you of what Bay did? I did not see it one bit in anyway besides big robots fighting even then. The fight scenes were way better in this movie than Bay's Transformers.

The plot structure is exactly the same.

In these movies, there is always a thing that the bad guy needs that will destroy Earth or whatever and they're chasing it. The Allspark, Matrix, the Seed, etc. Here, it's the key. Then it turns out a historical civilization or event was based on Transformers related to the Macguffin chase. They go from continent and city to city fighting the robots defending the thing. Bad guy gets it. Starts using it. Then they gotta stop it. These are all the exact same movies structurally, and while the Bay movies we're more immature, it aint like thus movie wasn't also super goofy

The plot structure is exactly the same.

In these movies, there is always a thing that the bad guy needs that will destroy Earth or whatever and they're chasing it. The Allspark, Matrix, the Seed, etc. Here, it's the key. Then it turns out a historical civilization or event was based on Transformers related to the Macguffin chase. They go from continent and city to city fighting the robots defending the thing. Bad guy gets it. Starts using it. Then they gotta stop it. These are all the exact same movies structurally, and while the Bay movies we're more immature, it aint like thus movie wasn't also super goofy

Ok fair enough I can see that. Technically I would say though, that is the plot structure of Transformers from cartoon, comic book and now movies. I do not think it was anything Bay did that was different, just kind of follow that same recipe. Bad guys do have to chase after something to dominate the world and the good guys have to stop them...I do think this movie was done better than bay's efforts. But I do understand your point.

I'm a big Transformers fan so I'm gonna give this a second viewing. However thinking about it, ROTB reminds me a lot of Godzilla vs Kong. Forgivingly short runtime, kind of a dumb plot, human characters saying cringey things and colossal things beating the ever living crap out of one another in entertaining fashion. I hope this one manages to steal a little money so it can continue. I would like these films to be more on the level of Bumblebee, but I feel way better about this franchise right now than I did after Revenge of the Fallen.

So is continuity out the door with these movies? Optimus is on Earth already even though the first movie establishes he wasn’t?

So is continuity out the door with these movies? Optimus is on Earth already even though the first movie establishes he wasn’t?

It's a sequel to Bumblebee, which was a reboot. Paramount keeps flip flopping because their producer for whatever reason wants to keep some weird connection to Bay's films. My thought is if someone likes the Bay films one could argue this is a different branch in the multiverse starting with Bumblebee.

Wonder if Beast will end the weekend no.1 or if Spider-Verse will beat it.

I reckon Spiderverse will manage to stay on top. I was looking at showings and at two local theaters the number of Spiderverse screens actually increased from last week.

Luckily I'm not bothered about continuity with these films.

Yeah Bay wasn't bothered by it either considering how often he contradicted his own films.

I reckon Spiderverse will manage to stay on top. I was looking at showings and at two local theaters the number of Spiderverse screens actually increased from last week.

Yeah Bay wasn't bothered by it either considering how often he contradicted his own films.
I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot half the previous film when it came time for the next one, and couldn't be bothered to refresh himself and just pushed on lol. The plot treatment just said "More explosions!!!"

It appears this is a continue from Bumblebee although it doesn't directly address it. Then again the ending kinda sets up a new beginning

Michael Bay and Steve Spielberg are still excutive producers to the Transformers live action brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"