X-Men - Part 8

Did anyone else feel like X Lives of Wolverine #1 was pretty much Wolverine #20? Still somewhat curious to see where this is going, but HoX/PoX this is not.

I assumed it was pretty much a continuation of X-Force/Wolverine. Picked it up because I was interested in Omega Red as a big bad. Pleasantly surprised that Deaths seems to pick up right at the end of Inferno with Moira.

I assumed it was pretty much a continuation of X-Force/Wolverine. Picked it up because I was interested in Omega Red as a big bad. Pleasantly surprised that Deaths seems to pick up right at the end of Inferno with Moira.
I do think Omega Red has potential here. It just seems a bit weird to me for (most of) the line to wait on an X-Force / Wolverine story tbh.

Well, we are just starting. Deaths of Wolverine looks to be a continuation of Inferno, so we will have to see how the two books tie together.

Well, we are just starting. Deaths of Wolverine looks to be a continuation of Inferno, so we will have to see how the two books tie together.
So that thing about judging too quickly. X Deaths was awesome. This is honestly the kinda stuff I was hoping to see more of in DoX and RoX.

The new Marauders make a good first impression as well. Can't go wrong with a group of (mostly) LGBT characters pirates. Looking forward to this run.

Love it.

I forgot about Marauders. Going to try to pick it up, as I do love Kwannon now. So many X-books.

X Deaths was a neat continuation of Inferno. Interesting that Moira being alive is out now. Wonder what is up with TO Wolvie.

I'm really hoping that Destiny and Mystique are able to put Moira down once and for all

I love Doug but he made the wrong call in letting Moira escape. Someone like her is way too dangerous to have running around loose.

So that thing about judging too quickly. X Deaths was awesome. This is honestly the kinda stuff I was hoping to see more of in DoX and RoX.

The new Marauders make a good first impression as well. Can't go wrong with a group of (mostly) LGBT characters pirates. Looking forward to this run.

I loved Marauders as well!

I was very sad when I heard Duggan was leaving but hopeful when I heard Orlando would take over. And he didn't disapoint. I love how much LGBT rep we have on this team with Tempo, Somnus, Daken and Kate and Iceman and Christian Frost as part of the supporting cast still even if they aren't on the main Marauders team

And everyone was really well written I thought. Somnus is already great fun even with brief panel time so far. Tempo was given a ton of personality and I thought the "Fast forward break up" scene was very funny. Great to see Daken and Aurora again now that X-factor has sadly ended and Kate and Bishop were both written just as brilliantly as they were in previous issues. My only tiny complaint would be not enough Emma Frost but then I always want to see more of Emma Frost!

The villains were very timely as well. Entitled fake "Allies" who are mad that a minority isn't making them feel special enough anymore being led by what's basically an internet troll that feeds off of hatred and misery feels like the perfect villain for the times we're living in right now.

I wonder who Brimstone Love's secret partner is? It was implied it was a mutant on Krakoa selling out their own for the cash that's being made from Brimstone's snuff movies he's making. That makes me think it's probably Sebastian Shaw because when I think "What mutant would sell out their own people for a quick buck?" Sebastian Shaw is right at the top of that list

Very excited to see what happens when the series continues in April. Sucks it's such a long wait but I am sure it will be worth it.

X Lives & Deaths is still very interesting, though I'd say Deaths is definitely winning for me so far.

New Mutants had another solid issue though with pretty wonky art. Overall, I think Vita Ayala's New Mutants is my favorite run of RoX. Didn't expect that at all before it started. Hellions, Way of X and S.W.O.R.D. might've reached some higher highs, but New Mutants really has been the most consistent.

It seems to be having a lot of fun with the larger worldbuilding and playing in the sandbox that the other books have made. Plus, it actually manages a large cast very well and gives everyone moments to shine. The other team books mostly haven't done that, besides highlighting certain mutants for an issue or two.

Glad to see this book is continuing into DoX. Alongside Benjamin Percy's books of course, but that only makes sense because he's writing the even that kicks this era off. Otherwise, I feel those books would've gotten a new #1 as well.

Anyway, big props to Vita Ayala.

As a whole X Deaths continues to be the stronger of the two books, but I'm really enjoying Percy's version of Moira after the character was stuck in Limbo during the Hickman era.

That said I was having some trouble... (spoilers for Inferno #4 and X Deaths of Wolverine #3)

...connecting the dots with Moira's motivations. This is the best I can do right now, but it feels a bit all over the place:
  • The big war is Mutants vs Humans vs Machine. First Moira sets up a strong Mutant nation and she does consider herself to be part of the Mutants.
  • Her secret plan however is to turn all of them into Humans because they always lose in the end.
  • She's pretty clear about hating Machines. "Becoming allies to machines is like befriending death or trusting cancer."
  • As Inferno reveals: its Machines vs Everyone Else.
  • Best I can tell... a Mutant nation capable of stopping the rising Machine threat was probably her ace in the hole and after beating the Machines she'd turn everybody into Humans and finally solves the three-way conflict.
Then we get to X Deaths:
  • Moira is depowered by Mystique & Destiny, feels betrayed by Charles & Erik, and realizes that Mutants have given her some kind of cancer. Now she just wants to end them.
  • Contrary to everything she did before, she goes ahead embraces being both Human and Machine. Maybe if Mutants are a lost cause and the Machine future inevitable, then she might as well give that thing that Magneto said a shot. Become a Machine ally and pick the winning side.
  • It's a complete 180, but I guess she is desperate for survival, and wouldn't really get another reset now. Though she does mention her 11th life. Black holes maybe?
  • I'm also very confused how Moira picking the Phalanx / Machine side leads to Phalanx Wolverine of all things, but we'll get there.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed Destiny's interaction with Gambit. Poor Gambit has the worst mothers in laws.

It is always fun to see Tarn get the **** beat out of him.

X Lives is still dragging its feet, while X Deaths is (ironically) sprinting too fast, but I'm really curious to see where it's going during the next two weeks. The new version of Moira is pretty hardcore, though her motivations are still hard to square with Inferno and everything prior. It's been great having her as a villain though.

Still gotta get my comics, but it is nice to let the artists make Hellfire Gala outfits for non mutants for Hellfire Gala #2.

Now that we've finished Lives / Deaths, I think people's enjoyment really hinges on
How much they like the 'evil robot Moira' thing.
Personally, it hasn't really grown on me just yet, but I think it'll take some time to see how I really feel about it.

I kinda enjoyed Lives as a big Omega Red event. I did like the involvement of the Wolvie kids in Deaths. I think the big question is, going forward, is Moira joining up with Orchis, or is she going to be a separate threat.

Her wearing Banshee's skin was a little brutal. But it did at least acknowledge some of her pre-Hickman connections. I would like to see more reconciliations of that in her future appearances

Anyway, looking forward to the relaunch. Especially Knights of X, the art is looking great. Also the Maddie/Illyana arc in New Mutants.

So far, I think only Jean is the only worse look of the mutants. Synch, Laura, and Rogue's looks are definitely big upgrades. The Avengers are pretty good, especially Steve and Sam. Carol's needed a little more to make it obvious it was Carol, really thought she was Dazzler at first.

I kinda enjoyed Lives as a big Omega Red event. I did like the involvement of the Wolvie kids in Deaths. I think the big question is, going forward, is Moira joining up with Orchis, or is she going to be a separate threat.
I think most of my questions right now are about Moira tbh. We sort of got our Moira X book, but I still feel like we need a lot more. :D

Anyway, looking forward to the relaunch. Especially Knights of X, the art is looking great. Also the Maddie/Illyana arc in New Mutants.
Destiny of X has a really solid lineup of books, and New Mutants was probably my favorite in RoX, so I'm glad to see it continue. Excalibur was a bit unfocused and had some lower quality issues imo, but definitely giving Knights of X a chance.

Beyond that I think Immortal X-Men, X-Men Red have a lot of potential, and I'm curious about the Marauders relaunch and Legion of X as well. Going to be an interesting few weeks!

I think the only book I'm not getting is X-force. Marauders isn't on my pull, but I will be checking it out, because I have fallen in love with Kwannon. I enjoyed Quinn's art on Way of X, and I generally enjoyed Excalibur, so I look forward to see him on Knights of X. And they are teasing Leah Williams and Alyssa Wong for wave 2 books of Destiny of X.

Why do the X books have to be good again?

So far, I think only Jean is the only worse look of the mutants. Synch, Laura, and Rogue's looks are definitely big upgrades. The Avengers are pretty good, especially Steve and Sam. Carol's needed a little more to make it obvious it was Carol, really thought she was Dazzler at first.

I love Jean's look. Man I wish we had had that as her Marvel Girl look over that dated 60s dress for 2-3 years

God bless Gillen's Sinister. Immortal X-men was fun. I think I will very much enjoy the series. The reveal was great, and very Sinister.

God bless Gillen's Sinister. Immortal X-men was fun. I think I will very much enjoy the series. The reveal was great, and very Sinister.
IA. LOVED IT. Wish they had just canned Lives/Deaths of Wolverine and gone straight into this after Inferno

I've seen some people say that Immortal X-Men really feels like a book created in the spirit of what Hickman was doing with the X-Men and I'm inclined to agree. Very good first issue.

It is real good writing when you make Selene's pitch sound like the smart call.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of the start of DoX so far, but it definitely doesn't feel too beholden to the status quo. Curious where we'll go in the next weeks / months.

I enjoyed Red. I like what Ewing is doing in terms of Arrako, expanding the culture more and bringing in concepts of colonization. The Fisher King is a fascinating character, I look forward to learning more about him. I just hope Ewing brings in Manifold, as I really enjoyed him in SWORD.

So Brand's X-men vs Storm's Brotherhood is going to be fun. So, based on what we know, its likely Cable, Vulcan, and Iceman so far on Brand's team, with Storm, Sunspot, Magneto, Thuderbird in the Brotherhood so far. Betting Sunfire joins up with the Brotherhood.

Marauders was okay. The art wasn't what I expected. It wasn't bad, but it has issues in terms of keeping some characters separate. I loved that they didn't ignore the first X-men Red, even bringing in Jean's costume from that series for a few panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"