Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I still enjoy No Way Home, it's definitely got issues
If it wasn't for the nostalgia-gasm, it would be a middling movie at best

and all the nostalgia is cheap heat, its like a wrestler saying "It's great being back in Detroit!" to get some free applause

And that's why the idea of multiverse movies bringing back every character to ever play various superheroes does nothing for me... I'd rather a well-scripted movie with a modern cast than a mish mash of a movie with a bunch of aging actors playing roles they played 30 years ago

Those moments when Andrew and Tobey walk through the portals really dont hit the same when youre not watching it with an enthusiastic theater crowd. Tobey also seemed like he was kind of just going through the motions in the movie and not as happy to be there as Garfield.

I really wish I could drink this Spider Verse kool aid that the rest of you cool kids are drinking, but honestly I don’t get it.
I loved ITSV, but yeah it doesn't touch the first 2 raimi films for me. Really excited to see where ATSV lands on my list.

I really wish I could drink this Spider Verse kool aid that the rest of you cool kids are drinking, but honestly I don’t get it.

I liked the first movie well enough but definitely didnt consider it a gamechanging movie by any means. ATSV though, is absolutely a gamechanger.

R1vvN0.gif

AdmiredGlisteningHarrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Omg, Ive been listening to it this morning, Daniel Pemberton nailed this. Did he score the first one too? I dont remember the first movie's score being that memorable.
He did and, imo, that score is great. One of my favourite superhero scores. But I'm loving this one even more at the moment. It's just so good. But a bit from the first one I love too:

Those moments when Andrew and Tobey walk through the portals really dont hit the same when youre not watching it with an enthusiastic theater crowd. Tobey also seemed like he was kind of just going through the motions in the movie and not as happy to be there as Garfield.
Enthusiastic crowds who know the significance of events as they happen can create an amazing atmosphere. If you've ever watched professional sports when for some reason the fans weren't allowed to attend, the difference is crazy.

While I still enjoy No Way Home, it's definitely got issues
If it wasn't for the nostalgia-gasm, it would be a middling movie at best

and all the nostalgia is cheap heat, its like a wrestler saying "It's great being back in Detroit!" to get some free applause

And that's why the idea of multiverse movies bringing back every character to ever play various superheroes does nothing for me... I'd rather a well-scripted movie with a modern cast than a mish mash of a movie with a bunch of aging actors playing roles they played 30 years ago
I think that's downplaying the appeal of the nostalgia a bit lol. I'd say it's more like having a Royal Rumble of wrestling legends from multiple decades, if no Royal Rumble had been done before. These are unique events and it's great that it happens to be a good film too, but I think it's harder to make a film as good when the concepts get that much more ridiculous and the main premise is very obviously fan service first. I doubt anyone would expect a Star Wars vs Star Trek vs Battlestar Galactica to be as good as the best film from those properties. Good to still aim for the top when juggling tons of factors that many said could never happen, but harder to achieve.

Can't really say much more about ATSV except that this is gearing up to easily be the best Spider-Man trilogy.

Since people were ranking Spidey films before, here's mine:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Into the Spider-Verse
3. Across the Spider-Verse
4. Spider-Man
5. Homecoming
6. No Way Home
7. The Amazing Spider-Man
8. Spider-Man 3
9. Far From Home
10. Amazing Spider-Man 2

I liked the first movie well enough but definitely didnt consider it a gamechanging movie by any means. ATSV though, is absolutely a gamechanger.

As someone who enjoys animation, at the very baseline, Into the Spider-verse was a gamechanger in terms of animation. Look at TMNT: Mutant Madness. Even Disney is finally getting their Paperman tech out, likely because Sony took their Disney/Pixar Oscar.

The songs from ITSV overshadowed the score a little bit but Prowler's theme was soooo good.

The theme was the best in terms of making Prowler just threatening. I loved it.

Same here. I watched the first movie and it was okay. And I honestly haven't had the urge to watch it again since. I am a huge Spidey fan and loving the attention the character is getting at the moment. But I just don't get the hype around the SV movies.

ITSV didn't make me a fan of Miles, but the MM game did.

Yeah, for me the trailers left me kinda 'meh' on Spider-verse

Watching the ads for the first one it was like "ok, whatever, i'll watch it on blu-ray at some point" and then was pleasantly surprised that it was a good, enjoyable movie.

Similar thing this time, the trailers look like more of the same tbh, which doesn't exactly cause much excitement to pay an arm and a leg to go see it. But I'm sure when it hits streaming, I'll have a very good time with it.

Outside of the animation style, I haven't found them all that game-changing, though I do still quite enjoy them as light, fun, animated movies. And that Marvel and DC saw it and were like "the multiverse is the future!" was the wrong lesson to take.

Mitchells Vs. the Machines, otoh, I f*ing loved

Last edited:
I honestly have followed ATSV very little than the mentions in this thread and the trailers, so I didn't even know it was a 2 parter.
I had no clue at all, and apparently neither did most of my audience judging by the noises at the end. :D

Can't really say much more about ATSV except that this is gearing up to easily be the best Spider-Man trilogy.

Since people were ranking Spidey films before, here's mine:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Into the Spider-Verse
3. Across the Spider-Verse
4. Spider-Man
5. Homecoming
6. No Way Home
7. The Amazing Spider-Man
8. Spider-Man 3
9. Far From Home
10. Amazing Spider-Man 2
I can't see this trilogy falling away on the final film like with Spider-Man 3. I was more confident that ATSV was going to be good than any recent CBM.

I would be surprised if there was any drop off in quality between ATSV and BTSV. Even if the latter gets delayed a year, them working on both of these films so close together instills me with confidence that they really are treating it as one giant project that was just split up at a wonderful point.

Thread title needs an update.

Looking forward to ATSV. Listened to the sondtrack. Nas Morales >

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"