• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Endgame Captain America/Steve Rogers - Chris Evans

I understand why people consider Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, RDJ's Iron Man, and Ryan Reynolds's Deadpool, as the three top superhero performances of all time.
But I think that Evans as Captain America is woefully underrated. He played the character for 10+ movies and never missed a beat, both dramatic and comedic. Yes, his role wasn't as colorful or flamboyant as the other three. But that doesn't mean that he had it easy.

Well yeah.

"Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor!"

So yes, he got Thor's powerset. As he should. That's how the enchantment works.

LMFAO some people aren't comic dudes obviously.

I understand why people consider Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, RDJ's Iron Man, and Ryan Reynolds's Deadpool, as the three top superhero performances of all time.
But I think that Evans as Captain America is woefully underrated. He played the character for 10+ movies and never missed a beat, both dramatic and comedic. Yes, his role wasn't as colorful or flamboyant as the other three. But that doesn't mean that he had it easy.

I believe he was the best character of the MCU. His storyline from The First Avenger to Endgame was incredible, Id say his "solo" movie trilogy is the best Marvel Studios put out to date and Evans really nails the character. You can really see his internal battle about right and wrong and doing what has to be done no matter what sacrifices he has to make

I was so excited with the ending battle of Endgame and everything Cap did. I nearly broke my fiancee's hand I was squeezing it so hard in my excitement when he
caught Thor's hammer and proceeded to give Thanos a whooping.

Also when he was standing alone against Thanos and his army. I literally got chills and Chris Evans was spectacular in the role.

No old man cap taking over shield? This was a big arc in the comics.

tumblr_pqrxb7Ekns1x0bvwko1_250.gif

Reactions: Bim

This 100%. Chris Evans has been criminally underrated in the role, perhaps not by comic fans as such but certainly by other parties in the industry. He has nailed all the humility, nobility, earnestness, sincerity and courage of Captain America to perfection and beyond. Never mind the physicality also. And to think when I heard of his casting as Captain America, my first thought was "Not the human torch guy????". Now I can't think of anyone else who would do it justice.

LMFAO some people aren't comic dudes obviously.
No need to take shots at me. The reason I loved Infinity War so much was because of how much it reminded me of the Infinity Gauntlet comic.

I assume Steve came back to his timeline after Peggy died? He didn't want to talk about her when Sam asked about the ring on his finger, and he's an old man now so I assume he lived his life with her and now its over so all he had left to do was go back to his timeline to give Sam the shield.

No need to take shots at me. The reason I loved Infinity War so much was because of how much it reminded me of the Infinity Gauntlet comic.

I wasn't. I was making fun of you to another poster LOL And its all jokes... I'm really just joshing :)
I just assumed most of us knew how Thors enchanted hammer worked. That's been in the comics since forever.

Agree to disagree then. I think that moment was stupid and breaks the lore, and I know I'm not alone on either count. But if you like it then more power to you, I wish I did. I just don't.

But that's OK though, there was still a lot to enjoy about the movie. It did actually have my favorite Cap moment in the MCU.
Sorry but this just sounds like Thor fan sour grapes to me. The hammer has worked that way forever. Yeah, Ragnarok explained the Thor power one way, but even that film is not consistent with its own logic. Valkyrie also said Thor got his power from Asgard, same as Hela and yet he still has lightning despite Asgard not existing. This whole debate just feels like Thor fans unhappy that Cap got a moment to shine with his power.

Last edited:
That is REALLY interesting. It makes me wonder... didn't the Russos say something about Endgame not necessarily
being the last time we see Cap? And I guess I was wrong about the movie insinuating that Cap went back and lived with Peggy and that was what happened all along. Hmmm...

That is REALLY interesting. It makes me wonder... didn't the Russos say something about Endgame not necessarily
being the last time we see Cap? And I guess I was wrong about the movie insinuating that Cap went back and lived with Peggy and that was what happened all along. Hmmm...

They did say he wasn't done with the MCU, but that could be in the form of voice acting for the What If show or directing episodes of the Disney+ shows as rumored, etc.

I do wonder if they will revisit Cap's time travel to make it more clear what happened. I know the Russos' explanation, but that is to not say sometime down the line, maybe someone else comes in and makes it Cap was actually in our timeline, etc. I'd love a Cap based one shot about putting the stones back, or maybe an Agent Carter season 3 that ends with Cap coming back or something.

wasn't the the super soldier serum supposed to slow down aging by a considerable amount? Kinda like Wolverine's healing factor?

Also if Chris Evans ever wanted to come back to play Cap again they can easily just deage him with the quantum realm stuff

Sorry but this just sounds like Thor fan sour grapes to me. The hammer has worked that way forever. Yeah, Ragnarok explained the Thor power one way, but even that film is not consistent with its own logic. Valkyrie also said Thor got his power from Asgard, same as Hela and yet he still has lightning despite Asgard not existing. This whole debate just feels like Thor fans unhappy that Cap got a moment to shine with his power.

Yeah I agree
Even as a huge Thor fan myself, it didn't even give me pause. Thor doesn't need the hammer to have powers, but WHOSOEVER HOLDS THIS HAMMER, IF HE BE WORTHY, SHALL POSSESS THE POWER OF THOR... easy as that. Thor has his own powers, but if someone's worthy, they can tap into that, and nobody in the MCU outside of Thor is more worthy than Cap (Well, Tony too I suppose, but he had a different big moment coming)

wasn't the the super soldier serum supposed to slow down aging by a considerable amount? Kinda like Wolverine's healing factor?

Also if Chris Evans ever wanted to come back to play Cap again they can easily just deage him with the quantum realm stuff

Yeah, they can easily travel back again and grab him from the 40's if they need Cap/Chris Evans needs money

I assume Steve came back to his timeline after Peggy died? He didn't want to talk about her when Sam asked about the ring on his finger, and he's an old man now so I assume he lived his life with her and now its over so all he had left to do was go back to his timeline to give Sam the shield.

I don't think he's necessarily preparing for his own imminent death or anything. Rather. . .however much a home he made in the alternate timeline, he also had a home, with friends and comrades, back in the prime timeline. So, after living out what would otherwise be a full life, and having cleared up his affairs, he "went home" to see his prime timeline friends once again. Sure, this is only well after Peggy died, but. . . I envision a grand going-away party, where everyone celebrated something that they likely knew was going to happen eventually.

Bare in mind that, by that point, Steve was 27 when he went into the ice, plus another 11 years or so living in the present day, plus potentially another 78 years if he lived out the entire time from 1945 to 2023 before jumping back. That would add up to 116. He could age well slower than normal and still look like that.

Bare in mind that, by that point, Steve was 27 when he went into the ice, plus another 11 years or so living in the present day, plus potentially another 78 years if he lived out the entire time from 1945 to 2023 before jumping back. That would add up to 116. He could age well slower than normal and still look like that.

I guess I just figured it would be like Wolverine who is pushing almost 200 and looks like he is about 50ish

Spoilers beware:

So something just hit me. We had all this build up about Caps love and tight knit bond with his childhood friend Bucky through most of his movies and how that relationship was mostly the cause of the rift between Steve and Tony.

So I did find it kind of odd that
there wasn't a final reunion or touching moment between Cap and Bucky since this was essentially the last we will see him on screen
But then again this makes me wonder...
Does Steve stick around now in that timeline he just returned to? If he does then he does indeed get to spend some more time with his old friend

To be honest I think that when...
Steve was facing down Thanos alone that it should have been Bucky that came through the portals first since he's Steve's best friend but also because Bucky was the first person Steve saw get dusted. It'd be a nice call back to both Steve's assertion that "Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky" because Steve against an army is as nothing as it gets, and then *jazz hands* magically he has Bucky by his side when he needs him most. But it'd also be a call back to their first scene in First Avenger when Steve was alone in the alley against the loudmouth from the theater and Bucky just kind of appeared to rescue him. So it would have been cool if Steve hears Sam in his ear and then out of a portal Bucky walks up and repeats his line, "I swear sometimes you like getting punched," and Steve huffs out a tired laugh but then watches as more portals open, and T'Challa comes out with Shuri and Okoye. And I think after seeing all the other portals open Steve realizes that he also has a legacy of heroes that are ready and willing to fight for Earth (and beyond) against bullies, giving him the courage later to take the leap to Peggy, knowing the present is defended. If they had just given us a moment on the battlefield, I think I'd be less concerned with the weird time mess the final scene made and the need for the directors to have to do interviews to explain themselves.

Or with a shot of an enhanced version of the serum. Like you said, the serum keeps people young, but if I remember right, in the comic books, you have to take it regularly to maintain your youth. That's how Nick Fury stayed young since WWII, at least in the 616 universe. However, they could probably create a new serum that de-ages you too, if they ever want to bring Cap back.

To be honest I think that when...
Steve was facing down Thanos alone that it should have been Bucky that came through the portals first since he's Steve's best friend but also because Bucky was the first person Steve saw get dusted. It'd be a nice call back to both Steve's assertion that "Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky" because Steve against an army is as nothing as it gets, and then *jazz hands* magically he has Bucky by his side when he needs him most. But it'd also be a call back to their first scene in First Avenger when Steve was alone in the alley against the loudmouth from the theater and Bucky just kind of appeared to rescue him. So it would have been cool if Steve hears Sam in his ear and then out of a portal Bucky walks up and repeats his line, "I swear sometimes you like getting punched," and Steve huffs out a tired laugh but then watches as more portals open, and T'Challa comes out with Shuri and Okoye. And I think after seeing all the other portals open Steve realizes that he also has a legacy of heroes that are ready and willing to fight for Earth (and beyond) against bullies, giving him the courage later to take the leap to Peggy, knowing the present is defended. If they had just given us a moment on the battlefield, I think I'd be less concerned with the weird time mess the final scene made and the need for the directors to have to do interviews to explain themselves.

This too kinda bothered me. The set up was there... but guess that having
Sam come out first with the "on your left" line was more for the audience cheer and the call back to WS... They never gave Bucky anything to call back on to have an impact upon his entrance

Yeah, I have to admit, Bucky kinda got the shaft in IW and Endgame. I can't fault the Russos or Marvel too much for that; there are so many characters in these two movies that it's difficult to give everyone their due. But after they took so much time to build his character in TWS and CW and then with the post-credits scene in Black Panther, it seemed like they were working towards something more significant with him. But there might just be more to his story that we haven't seen yet. I hope so, anyway. I like the character a lot at Stan is great in the role.

This too kinda bothered me. The set up was there... but guess that having
Sam come out first with the "on your left" line was more for the audience cheer and the call back to WS... They never gave Bucky anything to call back on to have an impact upon his entrance
what could they have given him? He had gotten the whole "Steve...." moment when he SNAPPED?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"