Hawkeye Episode 5: Ronin (Spoiler Discussion)

All that time spent on macaroni and cheese and we couldn't get 30 seconds of actual Kingpin?
.... That's character development? And creating endearing moments for a new character? Kingpin was obviously not meant to have a real role in this episode, he was a stinger reveal. It would be like complaining that Nick Fury didn't get more screentime in Iron Man.

.... That's character development? And creating endearing moments for a new character? Kingpin was obviously not meant to have a real role in this episode, he was a stinger reveal. It would be like complaining that Nick Fury didn't get more screentime in Iron Man.

He actually had screentime and dialogue in Iron Man. I didn't find Yelena's scene all that endearing either.

He actually had screentime and dialogue in Iron Man. I didn't find Yelena's scene all that endearing either.
You're certainly in the minority on that, though. The online buzz for the episode was dominated by love for Yelena and hype for Kingpin. They clearly achieved exactly what they wanted/needed to do.

You're certainly in the minority on that, though. The online buzz for the episode was dominated by love for Yelena and hype for Kingpin. They clearly achieved exactly what they wanted/needed to do.

I don't mind being in the minority. I hated that Kingpin reveal. I don't like Twitter either.

I don't mind being in the minority. I hated that Kingpin reveal. I don't like Twitter either.
I mean, that's fine. I'm just pointing out from a media marketing perspective why they did what they did and that it worked. Social media buzz is huge for productions like these. A big part of why the weekly release schedule is still the ideal module for television.

Not at all. But a brief shot of D'onofrio emerging from the shadows and looming over Eleanor would have been much more exciting than what we got.

I mean, that's fine. I'm just pointing out from a media marketing perspective why they did what they did and that it worked. Social media buzz is huge for productions like these. A big part of why the weekly release schedule is still the ideal module for television.

On the other hand, designing your shows around these specific moments is an issue if you are trying to tell a story.

I did love Kate and Yelena together. However, this is the second "breather" episode of a 6 episode season, yeah, questioning the pacing is valid. The rush to "redeem" Maya is already pissing me off.

There is still an episode of the show left. For someone who decided me must defend the honor of the first season of the Witcher because a reviewer didn't finish watching all the episodes, you sure like to ignore the fact that Kingpin is most likely going to be in next week's finale.

On the other hand, designing your shows around these specific moments is an issue if you are trying to tell a story.

I did love Kate and Yelena together. However, this is the second "breather" episode of a 6 episode season, yeah, questioning the pacing is valid. The rush to "redeem" Maya is already pissing me off.
It wasn't a "breather" episode. A lot actually happened in it. Hawkeye isn't a plot heavy show. It's a character based show.

The complaints regarding Hawkeye seem similar to much of the criticism directed at what may be the best show on television, Succession. Nothing really happens, nobody really changes (and Logan never gets effed). I would like to know what's the deal with the damn watch, but I am much more interested in getting to know Yelena, Clint and Kate. It will make it more impactful when the three of them are standing alongside Electric Company Spider Man and CGI Bill Bixby in their final face off against God Doom in Secret Wars: Retribution.

Last edited:
Most of these complaints about Hawkeye would be non-existent if all of the episodes were released at once. Hawkeye feels more like a long movie split into six chapters rather than a traditional episodic show. The whole weekly release pattern that Disney+ has going on as opposed to releasing all episodes at once like Netflix does has had varied results, IMO. Some shows worked fine when viewed once a week like WandaVision or Loki but Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye probably benefit better from binging all the episodes at once.

No one has any patience anymore...lol

I mean to me the patience was waiting for the reveal this episode and they blew it on the reveal. We just needed one big scene or dramatic reveal. It could've been short and sweet. They blew it.

Most of these complaints about Hawkeye would be non-existent if all of the episodes were released at once. Hawkeye feels more like a long movie split into six chapters rather than a traditional episodic show. The whole weekly release pattern that Disney+ has going on as opposed to releasing all episodes at once like Netflix does has had varied results, IMO. Some shows worked fine when viewed once a week like WandaVision or Loki but Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye probably benefit better from binging all the episodes at once.

This series likely would've benefitted from the binging format, but frankly, I'm not sure they needed six episodes either. This seems like a 2 hour movie stretched across six episodes.

See I don't get that from this. I got that from TFATWS, but not this. This feels like a mini-series imo.

What’s funny is that these streaming episodes aren’t so beholden to standard broadcast length so it’s not like they cut out 30 seconds of Kingpin in favour of mac and cheese.

Though that does remind me: why are some people so bothered by the variable episode length? Shouldn't their ability and willingness to make a given episode either as long or as short as the story of that episode requires, be a good thing?

Though that does remind me: why are some people so bothered by the variable episode length? Shouldn't their ability and willingness to make a given episode either as long or as short as the story of that episode requires, be a good thing?
Makes sense to me. No need to artificially fit things in or cut them week to week then, unless they choose to for artistic reasons rather than constraints.

2eb511323c7705084ae3653e354b4f40ed97cd28.gifv

995a930b07c449766252719d8ea66462b4ea4332.gifv

ad92ff51ffaae878e2ef5995c043f4d57d674030.gifv

That doesn't make the last episode any less underwhelming.

Absolutely does because your major complaint is not enough Kingpin, but last episode wasn't about him being in the show. It was about introducing him for the next episode. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but i wholesale disagree with you on this

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"