No Way Home Spider-Man: No Way Home General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

8 days left. I won’t lie. It’s getting rough now. Today was the first day where I was tempted as hell to read the entire script and get everything spoiled for me more then it already is.

My will is cracking….:csad:

I hope you're not trying to insinuate that people only like the Raimi movies because of nostalgia. People always try to use the nostalgia excuse, but fail to acknowledge that maybe people actually thought they were good movies. The Raimi films were iconic, and before S-M3 released, Raimi in particular was considered top dog of the genre. It baffles me how people just can't accept the legacy of those movies. Nobody is saying others can't like TASM movies more or the MCU flicks more, I mean opinions are opinions, but quality is also quality.
I had someone tell me this aswell. It was weird. The reason I don’t like the Webb films was cause of “ nostalgia googles” uhhh no. I was excited for Spider-Man reboot and even defended it I just think I they are bad films and Tobey had more emotion and better fight scenes . I’m tired of that excuse. People tend to forget that Spider-Man was in such a bad place when those movies were out. Gotg was doing better than him.

I had someone tell me this aswell. It was weird. The reason I don’t like the Webb films was cause of “ nostalgia googles” uhhh no. I was excited for Spider-Man reboot and even defended it I just think I they are bad films and Tobey had more emotion and better fight scenes . I’m tired of that excuse. People tend to forget that Spider-Man was in such a bad place when those movies were out. Gotg was doing better than him.
Agreed. I remember walking out of the theater after TASM1 and just feeling nothing and forgetting about it. It's kinda tragic because it's Spider-Man and yet was pretty much demolished by the quality of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises that summer. After I saw TASM2, I remember being particularly effected by how cringe Green Goblin was. I'd take Dafoes S-M1 outfit any day over what we got in that movie.

Gwens death scene was great though as was her scenes with Peter. That's the best things about those movies, if you ask me. Garfield and Stone were really good together.

Mark Webbs movies have plenty of heart. There is so much personality to those movies. Even if they ain't perfect.

Raimi has a more colorful vision. but limited personality IMO. I mean if you can't acknowledge how unlikable or *****y MJ is (for example) as a character, and yet its written as if thats the sorta character the audience will feel for. Then the visuals are just very good at covering it all.

But this is an old subject altogether.

Im not sure if it’s how MJ was written as much as it was Kirsten Dunst. She just wasn’t the right person for the role. The writing of the character while it definitely had issues was only dragged down further by Dunst. Also doesn’t help that she was constantly whining about these movies leading up to their release….Just made her all the more unlikable. You slide a different actress in there with the same characterization and maybe it’s a different story regarding our view of the Raimi MJ.

Agreed. I remember walking out of the theater after TASM1 and just feeling nothing and forgetting about it. It's kinda tragic because it's Spider-Man and yet was pretty much demolished by the quality of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises that summer. After I saw TASM2, I remember being particularly effected by how cringe Green Goblin was. I'd take Dafoes S-M1 outfit any day over what we got in that movie.

Gwens death scene was great though as was her scenes with Peter. That's the best things about those movies, if you ask me. Garfield and Stone were really good together.
Yea I felt empty to. It tried to be dark like the Batman films then the second one tried to be the mcu. It didn’t know what it wanted to be and that’s why it felt like such a blantant corporate movie franchise that ticked boxes. It wasn’t interested in telling a story.

They just had natural chemistry. Not forced. It just seemed easy for them. With Tom and Zendaya it just seems so fabricated at times and it’s hard to get emotionally invested in it. It’s not there fault in particular. It’s how the studio and writing team has handled/developed their relationship. As a fan I just haven’t become invested in their journey or the character of MJ any Zendaya.

Like let’s say Spidey has an off day at the office and he’s not on his game. Let’s say he doesn’t reach Zendaya in time while she’s falling…are we really gonna care?

Gwen falling though…that still strings

They just had natural chemistry. Not forced. It just seemed easy for them. With Tom and Zendaya it just seems so fabricated at times and it’s hard to get emotionally invested in it. It’s not there fault in particular. It’s how the studio and writing team has handled/developed their relationship. As a fan I just haven’t become invested in their journey or the character of MJ any Zendaya.

Like let’s say Spidey has an off day at the office and he’s not on his game. Let’s say he doesn’t reach Zendaya in time while she’s falling…are we really gonna care?
Yeah, I don't really get at all what they were going for with the Michelle/MJ stuff. Zendaya is a great actress, but I literally don't care about her character or relationship at all. She could've been written soooo much better.

Spider-Man and Iron Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man and Nick Fury: Far From Home
Spider-Man and Doctor Strange: No Way Home

Part of the reason why the Home Trilogy hasn't been on the same level of Spider-Man 2 is because Spider-Man has never been the main focus of his own stories, there's always someone there that takes away a bit of his movie. They are Marvel Movies, not Spider-Man movies. The Raimi films always were about Peter Parker and his struggles. These movies are not, I mean Homecoming maybe is but there's so much stuff going on around that the focus is lost. Any dramatic event that comes, it quickly evaporates until the next thing comes. I mean, he fought Thanos, he was in space, he DIED, and then everything is like completely normal again? Are you telling me Infinity War and Endgame didn't have any effect on him? They are missing so much potential for character moments.
Which is why I really hope the next trilogy changes that. As much as I like crossovers, I think is time to get back to smaller, character driven stories. Too much spectacle becomes noise.

Spider-Man and Iron Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man and Nick Fury: Far From Home
Spider-Man and Doctor Strange: No Way Home

Part of the reason why the Home Trilogy hasn't been on the same level of Spider-Man 2 is because Spider-Man has never been the main focus of his own stories, there's always someone there that takes away a bit of his movie. They are Marvel Movies, not Spider-Man movies. The Raimi films always were about Peter Parker and his struggles. These movies are not, I mean Homecoming maybe is but there's so much stuff going on around that the focus is lost. Any dramatic event that comes, it quickly evaporates until the next thing comes. I mean, he fought Thanos, he was in space, he DIED, and then everything is like completely normal again? Are you telling me Infinity War and Endgame didn't have any effect on him? They are missing so much potential for character moments.
Which is why I really hope the next trilogy changes that. As much as I like crossovers, I think is time to get back to smaller, character driven stories. Too much spectacle becomes noise.
Couldn't have said it better! You worded it perfectly.

Im not sure if it’s how MJ was written as much as it was Kirsten Dunst. She just wasn’t the right person for the role. The writing of the character while it definitely had issues was only dragged down further by Dunst. Also doesn’t help that she was constantly whining about these movies leading up to their release….Just made her all the more unlikable. You slide a different actress in there with the same characterization and maybe it’s a different story regarding our view of the Raimi MJ.

I dunno. She is still the same character whose seems to cheat on every guy she is with. Which i think we are meant to root for her to be with peter and not really think too hard about these other guys. I ain't sure. But she doesn't seem like someone you would want to be with. So why would you root for her? And then in SM3 she is very much all about her. "its not about you, its about me", because she is jealous of all the attention spider-man is getting. And thats just not a very likable love interest. But i don't think Raimi quite understood that. I think to Raimi we were meant to feel for her dilemma. And did anyone really feel for her dilemma? Or was Raimi just repeating the same trope over and over for a character he didn't really know what to do with?

Yeah, I don't really get at all what they were going for with the Michelle/MJ stuff. Zendaya is a great actress, but I literally don't care about her character or relationship at all. She could've been written soooo much better.

One of the main problems was they essentially made MJ the same as Peter. Both loners, nerd, awkward outcast in a sense. It just doesn’t work and for that matter they should have just used Zendaya as a completely different character instead of going the mj route.

One of the reasons that fundamentally Peter/MJ work and are so immensely popular is because they are essentially complete opposites.

I know people have their issues with the ASM series and they did have their flaws but at the end of the day, when you look at the Raimi movies, the things the Webb movies did right and what Sony did with Into Spider Verse I still think that Spider Man was in much better hands than it is right now.

The costumes, the web swinging, the action, the drama, the supporting cast, the score, the promotion, the practical effects and heart are things that I feel are missing and handled poorly.

Are these recent movies really much better than previous 5 or is it the connectivity and that they are playing within the MCU sandbox? Spider Man has a great supporting cast and villain gallery that he dies not need to be a part of the sandbox. Is it cool that he crosses over? In theory yes, but not in execution - I felt he was shoehorned in Civil War.

I always thought Andrew SM could have fit in that world and would have preferred over the reboot that we got. I believe I read somewhere that it almost happened.

I'm excited but weary since MCU Spider Man and Jon Watts record with the character has been poor in terms of characterization/storytelling because commercially it has been a success. The villains have also been top notch. The Vulture was menacing and Mysterio illusions where captured brilliantly.

Spider Man is my main guy for over 30 years and feel like Raimi would have been the right guy to tackle this project. What I have seen in terms of the villains and hears from the leaked score has me excited but it still has the Marvel palette all over it. Hopefully I get proven wrong next week.

One of the main problems was they essentially made MJ the same as Peter. Both loners, nerd, awkward outcast in a sense. It just doesn’t work and for that matter they should have just used Zendaya as a completely different character instead of going the mj route.

One of the reasons that fundamentally Peter/MJ work and are so immensely popular is because they are essentially complete opposites.

People often say that MJ was boring/bad in Raimi's films and I think that she was awesome as a character, we knew everything about her and her relationship with Peter was great, because they both supported each other, MJ wanted to make Peter more open and confident, and Peter wanted to make MJ to believe in herself.

Holland and Zendaya have chemistry and that's it, there's no story there. Like at all.

*comes back to five pages of endless repetitive complaining from the usual moots*

Think I'm gonna have to update my ignore list, some of you guys really don't get tired of regurgitating the same tired criticisms over and over again. We get it, Jesus effing Christ. :dry:

*comes back to five pages of endless repetitive complaining from the usual moots*

Think I'm gonna have to update my ignore list, some of you guys really don't get tired of regurgitating the same tired criticisms over and over again. We get it, Jesus effing Christ. :dry:

toby-macgyver-toby.gif

People often say that MJ was boring/bad in Raimi's films and I think that she was awesome as a character, we knew everything about her and her relationship with Peter was great, because they both supported each other, MJ wanted to make Peter more open and confident, and Peter wanted to make MJ to believe in herself.

Holland and Zendaya have chemistry and that's it, there's no story there. Like at all.

I generally like MJ in SM1. Aside from being the love interest, she has some character in that she lives in a toxic household with a verbally abusive dad, and wants to make a name for herself to prove him wrong.

I think she has absolutely zero agency in SM2, everything about her life revolves around Peter, and the way she's written in that film makes her incredibly unlikeable to me. The writers have her get absurdly over the top pissed off because Peter missed her play, to the point where she decides to cut him out of her life. Then she hooks up with JJ's son, who in the film appears to be a pretty decent guy who she uses to re-create the upside down kissing scene, and then abandoning him at the altar, with it being played for a happy moment.

I remember her having some decent moments in SM3, but her getting kidnapped for the climax again was ridiculous. Originally she was supposed to go to Harry and ask him to forgive Peter, which sounds so much better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"