Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the minority, but I'm glad. I really want a better actress for Wondy and I want a director/creative team who are gonna go all in the the Greek mythology stuff. And someone who will use the AMazons more. I wanna see major roles for Phillipus, Artemis, Io, etc.
Gal and Momoa, will play the roles until their movies stop making money. I’m all for a Jenkins quasi movie with no Batman or Superman as awful as that sounds. Have to make the best out of the current situation. Just ignore everything Snyder
Yeah until something else takes off for them they'll be doing these roles forever or until we get tired of them. AS of now, it's their bread and butter. I know Gadot has a few movies in the tuck. Momoa has/had a show.

But see thats the other thing im trying to figure out. Why now? The Snyder cut’s being released and now people will see all of Ray’s lost footage and performances that hes proud of. He’s once again the “heart” of Justice League. Justice has been done. The fans won an impossible fight. Everyones happy so why put a dark cloud over this celebration by dwelling on the past unless something really bad did happen?
Some people really need and thrive off of that "They're out to get me" mentality. Even if they're winning

Did Ellen's association with Dubya entail anything beyond.....sitting next to him and making civil conversation at a baseball game?

She was yucking it up with George and called him a friend. If I were a prominent gay icon and seated next to a guy who fought to get Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, I doubt I would have been so chummy.

Even with that New 52 continuity, I think that’s such a random choice putting Cyborg with the JLA. He’s too essential to the Titans. Should’ve always been Martian Manhunter’s spot.

Then I’d introduce Canary and Arrow in the sequel.
Yeah its clear they added Cyborg for diversity to me at least. I think they should've just made J'ohnn J'onzz's alter ego black and then included John Stewart instead. And also, maybe just because of the voice actress but I've always seen Hawkgirl as Hispanic

I mean honestly I used to be against it, but if I was doing a JL movie, I'd just use the DCAU starting 7. I used to want The Big 3, Wally West, Half Jordan, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter. But I think the DCAU JL starting 7 (Supes, Bats, Wondy, John Stewart GL, Wally West Flash, Hawkwoman (Hawkgirl), and The Martian) is more diverse. Not just racially or sex wise, but a little more diverse powerset, personalities, ethics, etc.

Yikes. Some interesting statements to impact here regarding Fisher vs Whedon.

1) I'm saying this as someone who's experienced direct and systemic racism as a black man all their lifee, bringing up the current political climate in regards to racism and BLM as it pertains to this Fisher/Whedon thing is clownery. At least at this time. To my knowledge, we haven't heard anything of Whedon specifically being racist. So why bring it up? I was on here the moment that first Fisher tweet came out and from the jump a bunch on Snyderites claimed racism and when pressed if they know the details they said, and I'm paraphrasing "I don't know that that happened, but you can insinuate". I expect that from those kind of posters, but I find this thread for the most part pretty level headed. And it's a clown move to bring BLM, racism, etc. about this particular instance at this stage when we know so little.

2) I have seen a few try and push this narrative lately and I don't get it. This narrative that Snyder is this huge hated director or something along those lines.
Snyder is not well liked, no doubt, and there are people who bash him. For sure. But "a war on Snyder" is so overly dramatic. If you're gonna use that then I don't know what you'd call what happens with M. NIght, Michael Bay, George Lucas, Uwe Boll, Tyler Perry (not so much anymore but still), Paul Feig, and to a lesser extent Rian Johnson. Those guys are HAAAAATED online. They can't scratch their nose without people getting mad at them. I just don't see anywhere near that level of hate or vitrol for Snyder as a person as I do with those examples I named above. If it's there it's not a very sizable group of people. And I'm on Twitter, Reddit, IG, and here. Especially not enough for a majority or even a sizeable amount of people to say "Fisher is friends with Snyder so I'm gonna believe Whedon because **** Snyder" Again, a couple weeks ago someone in this thread someone came in saying that we were acting like the Snyder Cut hurt our family (or something along those lines). When that simply isn't true. People don't like it or don't wanna watch it, sure. But most said despite their criticism their gonna watch it and/or they didn't insult other who will. I don't get why people are trying to act like it is

3) AS @Bayne and @kguillou said, the only reason we're talking about this is because Fisher keeps bringing it up. We all kinda move on for some time and then, low and behold, Fisher makes another post or statement about it. And all his statements have been very vague and very open-ended. It's like his whole life online now this "Accountability>>entertainment" thing. Which is a great thing to be about, but it seems weird how he's carrying it with his own experience. From ignoring co stars who have their own accountability issues to him being vague and refusing to give more details saying "I have an NDA." It's just very off
NDA's are so easily broken btw. Not publicly maybe, but you know there are whistle blowers, off the record sources, etc. So even if it wasn't Fisher himself, someone would've let something spill. I'm sure all these Ellen co workers/ex workers had signed NDAs, I'm sure people on the set of SMILF had NDAs. Hell with Fan4stic we all heard so many rumors about Trank. With Joss Whedon on the JL set, I don't think we have anything really other than he was dismissive of the Snyder stuff. Which yeah unprofessional doesn't call for all of this.

4) You can't be mad about people not really taking Fisher seriously when he's being so vague. That is such a big thing with MeToo, people saying we don't have al lthe details and stuff like that. But in this case, we have no first hand details. The best we have is what Kevin Smith heard.

I've said before, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Whedon probably was unprofessional on set. Was he "abusive" or "toxic" idk but it seems very weird to me that we haven't heard really anything serious. Not even a concrete rumor (or as concrete as rumors can be). I've said I never was that big of a fan of Whedon and I always thought his feminism stuff was pretty reductive to "my women kick ass." I also find it very telling that a) nobody on set has come to his defense b) Berg didn't deny Whedon was acting up. He just covered himself on Johns c) Whedon isn't even defending himself. It doesn't matter if he doesn't know the specifics, I find it weird that he isn't defending himself in anyway after being called "abusive"

That being said I'm not gonna jump out the window and ostracize Whedon for this when none of the claims are even being detailed at all. We'll see. I feel like if there was a huge story about what happened on the JL set we would've heard by now or very soon. I remember when Chris D'Elia got outed, you saw chatter online that Bryan Callen was next. And then just this past weekend, a month after D'Elia Callen was outed. It's been about a month since FIsher sent out that initial tweet. If there's a story, a major trade or publication will be posting it soon.

And even if Whedon was abusive, Fisher is also gonna look like a real doof if he stands by and is on panels or buddy buddy with Ezra Miller, Ben Affleck, or anybody that stands by them too. So I hope he keeps that same energy. After all, it's "Accountability>>entertainment" right?

I’ll just say this, I agree with pretty much everything you said. And the truth of this whole thing is likely very very complicated. I would like to believe Joss is a good but flawed human being and came into a crappy situation in which there was no good outcome. He was tasked with re-doing a 300 million blockbuster in 4 months, had ridiculous mandates and studio notes and was inheriting a cast and production crew fiercely loyal to Zack Snyder. I dont think its a stretch to imagine there were days where heads clashed and heated words were exchanged. And i can see a new young guy like Fisher who isnt used to Hollywood politics being disturbed by it all. But this is just speculation on my part, who really knows what happened I’m just trying to read in between lines.

Did Ellen's association with Dubya entail anything beyond.....sitting next to him and making civil conversation at a baseball game?

Huh? She had him on his show and tried to normalize him by portraying him as a passionate painter.

This Whedon/Fisher thing is bizarre man.

Fisher is beginning to grate. He keeps saying "accountability > entertainment" and talking about what he's doing, but he's not doing anything. Where is his own accountability? He's made claims. He should substantiate them. It is off-putting watching Fisher acting like a martyr on twitter, but I guess I'll feel differently once we hear more.

Whedon's character cannot be fully quantified of course, but as a big Buffy fan I've followed his career for a long ass time and his reputation is pretty solid. There are a couple of troubling stories for sure, but there is also a long list of people who sing his praises and a lot of frequent collaborators. Could be that he's protected of course, but people aren't just polite about him, a lot of them love the guy.

I would have described myself as a Bryan Singer fan once, so I'm well prepared for new information and have made peace with the fact that most people are awful; but it still seems off to me.

That and Fisher has nothing to say about Ezra Miller choking a woman on camera, yet he's after Whedon for what I'm pretty sure was less extreme than physically attacking someone, even if he was a dick on set. Why? Because Fisher only selectively believes in accountability when it pertains to someone who cut his scenes in a movie?

If accountability was truly greater than entertainment then he, or someone tangientally involved with JL/DC/WB, would have come out and condemned Ezra for choking a woman on camera.

Instead it's crickets as Ezra is still set to apparenly star in the movie... leading me to believe it's less about accountability and more of a personal vendetta.

I know I keep beating this horse but that was back in April and there's still not even an explanation, let alone an apology.

I mean, I'm not calling for Ezra Miller to be fired either. Quite frankly, I don't give a **** if he's still The Flash or not. But it sure makes Fisher's belief in accountability look awfully selective, and it looks even worse when his selective ire is conveniently directed toward a director who cut some of his scenes out of Justice League. It smacks of sour grapes.

And in fairness, if an actor puts a lot of work into a performance, and then some of his scenes just get chopped out of the movie and no one ever sees them, I wouldn't blame him for being upset about it, or even feeling insulted (rightly or wrongly). But talking smack on Twitter without backing it up with anything substantive isn't gonna help anything, and it might hurt his image to other directors who might not want to cast him going forward because it makes him look disgruntled and unprofessional.

I still can’t believe they let Ezra’s crazy ass slide with that incident. The woman literally did nothing to provoke him, and there he is on camera with his hands around her neck.

But his Flash movie is still in the works. And they call this era cancel culture. Give me a break.

This Whedon/Fisher thing is bizarre man.

Fisher is beginning to grate. He keeps saying "accountability > entertainment" and talking about what he's doing, but he's not doing anything. Where is his own accountability? He's made claims. He should substantiate them. It is off-putting watching Fisher acting like a martyr on twitter, but I guess I'll feel differently once we hear more.

Whedon's character cannot be fully quantified of course, but as a big Buffy fan I've followed his career for a long ass time and his reputation is pretty solid. There are a couple of troubling stories for sure, but there is also a long list of people who sing his praises and a lot of frequent collaborators. Could be that he's protected of course, but people aren't just polite about him, a lot of them love the guy.

I would have described myself as a Bryan Singer fan once, so I'm well prepared for new information and have made peace with the fact that most people are awful; but it still seems off to me.

I mean, I don't think it is controversial to call Whedon an *******. Hell, even the holy Nolan is an *******. And we just now heard about his stupid chair rule. Probably don't hear much about it, because shocking, probably most directors are *******s.

James Cameron is an a*****, Schwarzennegger’s said that openly, he damn near but the whole cast’s lives in danger while filming The Abyss. But Cameron knows wtf he’s doing and a master of his craft and thus I think alot of collaborators respect him even if working with him is Hell.

James Cameron is an a*****, Schwarzennegger’s said that openly, but Cameron knows wtf he’s doing and a master of his craft and thus I think alot of collaborators respect him even if working with him is Hell.

Yup. Kate Winslet claimed she'd never work with him again after he allegedly almost drowned her during Titanic and he basically waterboarded Ed Harris into a nervous breakdown in The Abyss, but Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, and Sigourney Weaver have all been willing to work with him multiple times and Paxton and Biehn publicly praised and defended him even though they don't try to deny he's a demanding taskmaster.

Let us also not forget about Tarantino and his treatment of Uma Thurman and others during the filming of Kill Bill.

Let us also not forget about Tarantino and his treatment of Uma Thurman and others during the filming of Kill Bill.

Which frankly is worse than anything anyone has claimed about Whedon or Nolan. He had her do a dangerous driving stunt when the stunt overseer wasn't around (IIRC) and caused her lasting back damage.

He also strangled Diane Kruger in Inglourious Basterds. Those are Tarantino's hands onscreen, not Christoph Waltz's.

I mean, I don't think it is controversial to call Whedon an *******. Hell, even the holy Nolan is an *******. And we just now heard about his stupid chair rule. Probably don't hear much about it, because shocking, probably most directors are *******s.

Considering the chair thing was debunked like two minutes after it was put out there, why else is Nolan an *******?

What is the point being made here though? I mean what is the point of saying "Well this director did this bad thing" or "This director is an a****** but people still work with them"

I don't see why that necessarily matters in the case of Fisher and Whedon.

What is the point being made here though? I mean what is the point of saying "Well this director did this bad thing" or "This director is an a****** but people still work with them"

I don't see why that necessarily matters in the case of Fisher and Whedon.

You’re right. Just got caught up in the a**hole director category.

I still can’t believe they let Ezra’s crazy ass slide with that incident. The woman literally did nothing to provoke him, and there he is on camera with his hands around her neck.

But his Flash movie is still in the works. And they call this era cancel culture. Give me a break.
You know everytime I hear someone mention cancel culture or cancelling unironically I just assume they're not all the way "there". Or just looking for something to complain about. There's so much evidence to the contrary that that isn't a real thing. Especially if it doesn't end in any legal repercussions.

Last edited:
Rewatching 500 Days of Summer. Damn what happened to Marc Webb? I love this movie and I remember being so excited for TASM due to his involvement. Then it all went down the drain

Mulan is coming to Disney+ for $29.99. Disney claims it'll be a one off. But maybe Black Widow and, most likely, New Mutants will be next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"