The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

It is really just amping up the action though? It's the story that took me out of the film, as well as an underdeveloped villain. The action was the least of my worries.

But it was a worry alright

Part of the blame for the Villian or the script goes to the writer aswell

Let me remind everyone also that "ASM" was Webb's second movie albeit a big studio movie. He went from a small, quirky independent film "(500) Days of Summer" to "Amazing Spider-Man." He essentially was jumping into territory he had never been into before. So, for the love of God least cut him some slack. He did what he could with the movie and I still say that it only floundered a little bit because of the editing. Otherwise, I think he made a decent movie.

But we arent comparing directors here really
I dont give a schtick whether its his first movie or 10th,while it understand that point,I am a Spidey fan first and foremost

What good it will do for us if he stays on the same curve for the trilogy and then goes on and make a different CBM with bombastic action?

While he did two movies beforehand, Nolan worked on a blockbuster CBM at his third try and hit it out of the park. Just saying that "we should cut him some slack" sounds like we should just treat him like a kid who's making their first mistakes. It isn't impossible for a director to making something grand, second or third try(and even then, Nolan's second attempt, INSOMNIA: Nolan's worst film to date).

TBH the action is BB was a lot worse than TASM

I disagree. Webb and his team staged some pretty solid fight sequences. Just the way Spidey moved and struck poses was so...spider-like.

The fight in the school, especially, has some of the best Spider-man movement everon film. When he literally wraps the Lizard in a spider web cocoon...GOLD.
Agree that moment was gold

When I am used to freaky kind of action sequences Raimi did which was brimming with WTF!! moments,Spidey poses hardly impresses me,thats not hard to get right and Raimi did it aswell

By WTF!! moments I mean moments like when he is surfing on the road or when the Ock flips him the air and he passes through a gap in the bridge to tackle him--Those kind leave the mouth hanging open

You call it a flaw- I see it as a conscious choice on the part of the filmmakers. Sometimes the things you choose not to do/show are just as important as the things you choose to do/show.

I actually appreciated the somewhat more subdued take on the character's powers in TASM. I was tiring of the ridiculous cartoonish CGI stunts and spectacle that the Raimi films gravitated towards in SM3 (the alley fight, all sandman fights).

Although, I did hate the thing where he wrapped the Lizard in webs, crawling all over him. So stupid. It's like the filmmakers were like: "Look! He's SPIDER-man! Get it? SPIDER-man? He acts like a spider! Get it?? GET IT????? Stupid. Leave that crap for the videogames.

Just like Peter falling through the roof to see the luchador mask after the guy yelled "I saw your face!". So stupid. Complete underestimation of the intelligence of the audience.
So you hate the only action moment in the entire movie which compares to Raimi's?

And about Subdued action,the action in SM1 was pretty subdued aswell and to this day it hits most of the action in the recent CBMs out of the park

i really wish they would use another effects studio some of the sfx looked flat out bad in TASM sony image works sucks

The action in BB was pretty bad. Close up shaky cam and quick cuts. The Amazing Spider-Man had some really good action sequences.

The action in BB was pretty bad. Close up shaky cam and quick cuts. The Amazing Spider-Man had some really good action sequences.

I wouldn't call it bad. The shaky cam was for a reason to amplify the "fear" theme, especially in the docks fight. Plus, the camera work did get better during the two Scarecrow fights and the train fight against Ra's.

I wouldn't call it bad. The shaky cam was for a reason to amplify the "fear" theme, especially in the docks fight. Plus, the camera work did get better during the two Scarecrow fights and the train fight against Ra's.

Not for me. The train fight imo was still poorly done. Though the action in the sequels made up for it, (the Joker chase with the Batpod and first Bane fight).

I loved the action in TASM though. I hate long actio scenes and tbh I love Spider-Man more-so for the drama/romance aspect, because what Peter goes through personally is very different compared to every other superhero. TASM's strength was the teen-drama. Hopefully the sequel keeps that but beefs up the spectacle just a hair more.

Not for me. The train fight imo was still poorly done. Though the action in the sequels made up for it, (the Joker chase with the Batpod and first Bane fight).

I felt the choreography in the train fight was very well done myself. And it was the first time Batman's gauntlets helped him in the end(which follows in the following sequels).

I loved the action in TASM though. I hate long actio scenes and tbh I love Spider-Man more-so for the drama/romance aspect, because what Peter goes through personally is very different compared to every other superhero. TASM's strength was the teen-drama. Hopefully the sequel keeps that but beefs up the spectacle just a hair more.

The high school fight was the only thing that I greatly enjoyed with the action in TAS-M. And besides that, it was either something quick and short like the bridge and the sewers, or something that just felt slow as the OsCorp Tower fight. The pace felt perfect with the high school battle though which greatly showed the attributes for both hero and villain and Connors' brilliance even showing while he was the Lizard such as mixing those chemicals together. All the other battles were just sloppy to me, though.

I thought the choreography w/ the train fight in BB was well done, but the way it was shot really ruined it for me. I felt like the camera was too close.

I enjoyed the other fights in TASM but the finale on Oscorp tower I didn't care for that much and when I watched it for the first time I was severely dissapointed. TASM I felt had been very personal up until that point and I didn't think the entire city needed to be at stake. The battle was really slow so the tension wasn't really there.

The sequels will probably be improvements, so that's really the only thing that worries me right now.

I have always believed Lizard's plan should've been so personal and take out the whole "turning the city" cliche plot. If Martha and Billy were involved and if Connors had the idea of turning his family first and succeeding, then have him get the idea of turning the city, but I wouldn't want to see that plan start to build as Spidey would have stopped him. Would've taken away the whole SWAT lizards that didn't even play a part.

The SWAT lizards were there to demonstrate what the "chemical" could do to others (aside from Connors).

I would've liked to see it effect them differently than how it effected Connors. Like frills or different sizes, little stuff like that, but making them a bit more mindless. That's just me though.

So you hate the only action moment in the entire movie which compares to Raimi's?

And about Subdued action,the action in SM1 was pretty subdued aswell and to this day it hits most of the action in the recent CBMs out of the park

No, the school fight was fine. The thing where he crawled all over the Lizard like a spider was extra stupid.

All the action in SM and SM2 was perfect. It was all motivated by the story, which is why the films flow so well. There was nothing extraneous that didn't fit or that was added just because it'd would be "cool". The school fight falls into that category, story wise.

tumblr_mhobctMhUG1rdwlr8o1_500.png

This was during the Superbowl blackout

No, the school fight was fine. The thing where he crawled all over the Lizard like a spider was extra stupid.

All the action in SM and SM2 was perfect. It was all motivated by the story, which is why the films flow so well. There was nothing extraneous that didn't fit or that was added just because it'd would be "cool". The school fight falls into that category, story wise.

Eh not really. Lizard found Peter's camera from the Sewers and went to hunt him down.

Are people really complaining about Spider-Man doing spider-like things during fights? It's not like its not done in the comics.

Fanboys never cease to amaze me.

The SWAT lizards were there to demonstrate what the "chemical" could do to others (aside from Connors).

I understand that idea, but it really didn't do crap. It didn't make any of the SWAT members into somewhat of a beast that it made Connors become; while still keeping his intelligence, it definitely made Connors into a ravishing beast at times that tried to kill so many in that bridge(as an example). What we got instead were some SWAT members turning into human-sized lizards(which contradicts the serum making Connors much taller as Lizard) that didn't do anything. At least in the drawing boards and what not, they would have fixed that problem by having the SWAT lizards attack Spidey.

I would've liked to see it effect them differently than how it effected Connors. Like frills or different sizes, little stuff like that, but making them a bit more mindless. That's just me though.

Making them look like different kinds of lizards would have definitely been sweet. And as I mentioned above as well, what we got instead were lizards that looked the same as Connors but were smaller in size.

tumblr_mhobctMhUG1rdwlr8o1_500.png

This was during the Superbowl blackout

I thought more of Bane during the blackout.

I agree it was a shoddy job when it came to the SWAT lizards, but I understand it all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"