The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

I think any future Hulk film at this stage couldn't be fully considered a sequel, but a soft reboot at this point.

If they’re doing The Marvels, then maybe they can do something like The Hulks with a Hulk and She-Hulk team up.

Depends on how long the theatrical distribution rights (rights of first refusal) with Universal may last, how knows. For a dollar, I'll bet Hulk may get a solo thru Disney+ as a show after She-Hulk, but then again who knows.

I think any future Hulk film at this stage couldn't be fully considered a sequel, but a soft reboot at this point.

The Incredible Hulk is still in continuity and other Marvel sequels have been divorced from past films, so I think it is still a sequel. Divorced meaning not much was referenced

They said that to the Amazing Spider-Man movies as well. While Spider-Man 4 was almost made because it was part of their plan if only Sam Raimi didn't back out.

Having a plan is 1 thing but making it happen is another. Who knows what obstacle will Sony face in this decade? I just don't think Morbius and Kraven would be sustainable enough to carry a cinematic universe. While they can't keeping making Venom movies forever. If the past two Spider-Man movie eras didn't last than more than a decade. I don't see how Venomverse would have a longer lifespan unless Tom Holland suddenly appears with their Venom, Morbius and Kraven.

Depends on how long the theatrical distribution rights (rights of first refusal) with Universal may last, how knows. For a dollar, I'll bet Hulk may get a solo thru Disney+ as a show after She-Hulk, but then again who knows.
If Marvel Studios wanted a Hulk show. They would have made it before She Hulk. I think they are phasing out Bruce for She Hulk. At some point, Bruce will have to go just like Steve/Tony/Natasha. And the fact that they can't make solo movies for Hulk without being tied to Universal is another reason.

Is NWH the beginning of the end of Tom Holland Spidey in the MCU? Well I certainly hope not. This video does shed a light.

Skip to 11:50.

Is NWH the beginning of the end of Tom Holland Spidey in the MCU? Well I certainly hope not. This video does shed a light.

Skip to 11:50.

You have to think, from a business perspective, how unlikely this deal was to be made in the first place in 2015. And then how even more unlikely it was to be resigned in 2019. It's even more unlikely to continue now IMO. Yes they are both making money, fans are loving it......but from a business perspective, and if you ever worked with C-level suits, you always want more money, more ways to mine the properties, more ways to make things look good for your shareholders.

As a reminder:
  1. In 2014 Sony was hacked. Their plans for Spider-man were all over the place. They were seeing diminishing returns on the property with Amazing 2 being the worst SM at the BO and critically reviewed movie to date. Meanwhile Marvel was coming off AoU and all their movies were critically well received and blowing up at the BO.
  2. In 2015 Sony entered a deal with Marvel for 5 movies (mainly because they had no idea what to do with the property). Deal was for 2 standalone movies and 3 ensemble movies. Marvel fixed the issues Sony had with the property.
  3. In 2018 Sony released Venom, which bombed critically but blew up at the BO. That gave Sony the confidence that they didn't need Marvel anymore.
  4. In 2019 Sony and Disney decided to walk way from their previous deal. Sony at the time stated how they learned what they needed to learn from Feige and Marvel Studios to build their own shared universe.
  5. We know that Disney wanted creative input from Feige and his team AND 50/50 co finance and profit sharing for all Spidey related films going forward, including non MCU ones. Sony wanted to keep the status quo (Sony finances 100% of the movie. 5% first day BO gross to Disney, all other gross to Sony).
  6. They settled on a 2 movie deal. One standalone (what we now know as No Way Home) and another ensemble movie where Spidey will be a supporting character. On the standalone movie the needle moved slightly in Disney's favor for a 25/75 co finance and profit sharing deal.
I feel comfortable that Disney will feel NWH's success is due to Marvel Studios and Feige. Sony will feel that the success is due to Spider-verse with most characters being previous iterations of movies produced exclusively at Columbia Pictures. It stands to reason that Disney will once again ask for 50/50 co finance and profit sharing for all future projects (essentially 50% ownership of the license). Disney may even ask for more (i.e. global streaming rights to all properties, Live Action production TV rights, characters moved to "Shared" status, etc). Sony, on the other hand, might feel confident enough to ask for things to go back to the way they were (i.e. 5% first day gross to Disney, rest to Sony) and will feel very strong about not moving the needle anymore in Disney's direction, especially if Venom 2 and Morbius makes them a good amount of money.

I will reiterate what I said in 2015 and again in 2019. This deal is not sustainable long term.

Does anyone trust that Sony knows what they're doing? I don't.

I don't. Venom was a critical failure and I don't even know what they are supposed to do with Morbius and Kraven.... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if their cinematic universe ends abruptly sometime in the future.

As for Tom Holland, with characters like Iron Man, Steve and Natasha retired - I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man's journey in the mcu ends very soon but it probably has to do with the character being shared with Sony. Disney doesn't need Spider-Man when they literally have more than a dozen of Marvel ips for movies and D+.

I have to admit, Spider-man doesn't feel as important to the MCU as he did when the deal to bring him in was first struck. Maybe because the MCU has become so massive in its own right, maybe because Spider-man is so far removed from traditional iconic Spider-man lore, maybe because I already mentally prepped myself in 2019 when we thought Spider-man was already leaving the MCU, but whatever the reason I no longer really feel like Spider-man is a character who needs to stay as a figurehead of the MCU. Like, I've enjoyed his movies, I've enjoyed his story so far, and I'd be totally pleased if he stayed around longer, but there's nothing that makes me think his story can't just be resolved and then have the MCU move on without him.

I guess basically what I'm saying is, I'm fine with him having just two more movies as long as they make sure to wrap up his story and don't leave us with a goddamn cliffhanger like last time.

Well remember the Russos said they couldn't do Civil War without Spider-Man when we know that was trumped up to make sure the deal went through.

as many of others said all over the internet, the most logical thing and the path of least resistance is to let holland's spiderman be stuck in the "sony-verse" hence he has no way home "to the mcu". he can then go do all their movies and make his return in some sort of secret wars type event to close the multiverse. the mcu doesn't need spiderman. the mcu is a money making machine and if not for covid, shang chi would've been another billion dollar franchise. and we now have a whole slew of younger heroes in the mcu for that demographic.

as many of others said all over the internet, the most logical thing and the path of least resistance is to let holland's spiderman be stuck in the "sony-verse" hence he has no way home "to the mcu". he can then go do all their movies and make his return in some sort of secret wars type event to close the multiverse. the mcu doesn't need spiderman. the mcu is a money making machine and if not for covid, shang chi would've been another billion dollar franchise. and we now have a whole slew of younger heroes in the mcu for that demographic.

Yeah at this point Marvel got what they needed from having him in the MCU, as being part of the shared universe will boost his toy and merch sales. Plus with the MCU roster rapidly expanding, especially with the imminent arrival of the X-men, there's no real reason for Marvel to keep Spidey close to home. They can easily just have him go off to the Sonyverse and run around doing his own thing, which will still boost toy and merch sales while avoiding any potential for plot holes. Then when Holland is about ready to retire they can bring him back to the MCU in a big crossover Avengers style event that closes out his character.

It does make me a little sad that the iconic Marvel hero is looking ready to achieve a permanent divorce from real importance, but. . . yeah. The Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Marvel Studios, ultimately doesn't *need* Spider-man. Doubly so since they got the FF and X-Men back, they have enough toys for decades of work without needing to revisit Spider-man. Want to do a teen hero story? You can use Kamala, or Kitty, or easily a dozen different Young Avengers or X-Men characters. Hell, Marvel Studios has enough of a track record that they could probably roll their own from scratch ( though there is little reason to actually do so ).

From those skeptical of the credibility of this source, I will note this is from the same guy who was the first to break that Alfred Molina was returning as Doc Ock in NWH before the trades even, and he’s even been credited by trades like Hollywood Reporter for the story. Take it with a grain of salt for now, but if true, then that would mean that Marvel has regained the distribution rights for Hulk from Universal. Which is pretty darn huge news if you ask me.

Maybe this version of World War Hulk will be about Professor Hulk being enlisted in the army as a scientist to help advise soldiers fighting another World War.

From those skeptical of the credibility of this source, I will note this is from the same guy who was the first to break that Alfred Molina was returning as Doc Ock in NWH before the trades even, and he’s even been credited by trades like Hollywood Reporter for the story. Take it with a grain of salt for now, but if true, then that would mean that Marvel has regained the distribution rights for Hulk from Universal. Which is pretty darn huge news if you ask me.

I thought KC Walsh was the one who broke the news about Molina? In any case, this would be very cool if true.

Edit - just realized this is KC Walsh's website, nvm :oldrazz:

I don't buy these rumors unless we hear that Disney worked out some kind of deal with Universal.

I thought KC Walsh was the one who broke the news about Molina? In any case, this would be very cool if true.
Your right. I thought it was written by him since he linked it on Twitter. KC Walsh writes for that site, but they said the source has been proven right in past but he had a hand in sharing this information from sources for someone to write for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"